October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

So I have heard quite a bit about the birds in the forest game, but haven't really come in contact with it, until today. And I have an appreciation of why it is considered a crazy game The Powerscore book in its explanation of the game, i think, over analyzed with the inferences. I don't see how possible or even efficient it is to try and create all those inferences under exam conditions.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Skyhook » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 am

LLB2JD wrote:So I have heard quite a bit about the birds in the forest game, but haven't really come in contact with it, until today. And I have an appreciation of why it is considered a crazy game The Powerscore book in its explanation of the game, i think, over analyzed with the inferences. I don't see how possible or even efficient it is to try and create all those inferences under exam conditions.


I quite agree.
I think it was 14 separate rules/infers that Powerscore came up with.
Way too much to juggle.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Skyhook wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:So I have heard quite a bit about the birds in the forest game, but haven't really come in contact with it, until today. And I have an appreciation of why it is considered a crazy game The Powerscore book in its explanation of the game, i think, over analyzed with the inferences. I don't see how possible or even efficient it is to try and create all those inferences under exam conditions.


I quite agree.
I think it was 14 separate rules/infers that Powerscore came up with.
Way too much to juggle.


Steve of the LSAT Blog has an alternative explanation for this game here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/lo ... orest.html

I wouldn't do it quite the way Steve has, but it's definately superior to PowerScore's method of "let's basically brute force the question for every possible scenario and call it making inferences!"

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Skyhook » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:I wouldn't do it quite the way Steve has, but it's definately superior to PowerScore's method of "let's basically brute force the question for every possible scenario and call it making inferences!"


How would you do it differently?

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jr1886 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:09 pm

northwood wrote:i hate parallel questions. I absolutely dont get them. I think I may just skip them, and use letter of the day? Do they show up a lot??

From analyzing PT 7 through PT 27=20 PT and classifying each question types, each LR section contains 2 parallel questions except PT 27. So, prepare to guess on four parallel questions when you take the LSAT

User avatar
navi786
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby navi786 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:21 pm

jr1886, have u tried doing the chapter from the LR bible and then all 42 of kaplan mastery's questions...
I am sure once u are done with those, u will find it much easier to attack them...
:) cheers

ert335
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ert335 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm

is kaplan mastery now kaplan advanced? i've been looking all over for this mastery book...

shannon111
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby shannon111 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm

I've noticed parallel question show up usually towards the end the most esp the flaw parallel. I found powerscore helpful in explaining it, it gives shortcuts to solve parallel questions. :D

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

shannon111 wrote:I've noticed parallel question show up usually towards the end the most esp the flaw parallel. I found powerscore helpful in explaining it, it gives shortcuts to solve parrallel questions. :D


I agree. There's still over two months until the October test - plenty of time to figure out a strategy for parallel reasoning.

I struggled a lot with parallel reasoning before (I actually still struggle with the RC kind of parallel reasoning), but after reading through Powerscore, I just did two sections and all my parallel reasoning questions I got right.

You just have to REALLY pay attention to what's going on in that stimulus. For example, I just did Superprep C today, and there was one question where it was like: John is dishonest. Therefore we shouldn't hire him for mayor. (Respondant): I disagree. Honest people aren't tough enough to be mayor.

The list of responses were basically all things like "Someone is too something. We shouldn't hire them/eat there/do this because of the too something."

The right answer was "We shouldn't eat there again. The service was too slow. Respondant: I disagree. Food that is prepared quickly isn't usually good."

And the thing that differentiated THAT answer from the rest was the "dishonest --> honest" in the stimulus. The other answers were like "fat --> fat." This question didn't just repeat "service is slow", it flipped it and discussed the polar opposite.

Id on't know if that made sense to anyone, but I was pretty happy I could spot it.

I am ALSO thrilled by my preptest of the day, Superprep C. I got a 93 raw, 175 scaled, and fulfilled my goal of only 2 wrong on each section. Actually, I had one -3 LR, BUT a -1 LG so it balanced out to 2 wrong across the board. -1 LG, -3LR, -2LR, -2RC. But I was REALLY the most excited about my Reading Comprehension section - my BEST RC ever, I haven't ever gotten below -3 before. And I changed a wrong answer to a right answer, so I was pretty happy about that.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:21 pm

shannon111 wrote:I've noticed parallel question show up usually towards the end the most esp the flaw parallel. I found powerscore helpful in explaining it, it gives shortcuts to solve parallel questions. :D


While this may seem intuitively obvious, I'm going to let you in on what changed Parallel Reasoning questions around for me: read the darn argument!

Many Parallel Reasoning questions can be diagrammed with conditional statements and if all else fails you can diagram each answer choice and see if it matches the stimulus. For Parallel Reasoning questions that cannot be diagrammed it becomes a matter of dissection. Ask yourself: how is this argument functioning, what does this premise do, what is my conclusion, etc. Once you understand how parts of the argument make up the whole, it becomes infinitely easier to knock off incorrect answer choices.

Yes, I did just advocate to read and understand the argument...I know, I know...sounds kind of obvious (actually I may even sound like an idiot) but I swear by this. Take two or three Parallel Reasoning questions and focus on nothing but how the parts of the argument contribute to the whole. I all but gaurentee taking the time to do this will make these questions seem much more managable.

shannon111
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby shannon111 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:57 pm

I agree, diagraming is good for parallel questions. Look for answer choices tat match the stimulus, if conditional reasoning in conclusion than look for an answer choice tat also has conditional reasoning in the conclusion also. Another example is the wording in the stimulus, if the stimulus has wording like must be or will be, elimatine answer choices tat have the wordings could be or can be. :D

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jr1886 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm

navi786 wrote:jr1886, have u tried doing the chapter from the LR bible and then all 42 of kaplan mastery's questions...
I am sure once u are done with those, u will find it much easier to attack them...
:) cheers

I was responding to a poster who wrote earlier about having problems solving parallel questions. I'm very good at parallel questions, rarely missed any. My hardest question has been Justify the conclusion but they are so infrequent im not going to spend a disproportionate amount of time studying them again.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:55 pm

just finished my job today... time to get crazy into my prep for october. once my classes start it will be hard to put a lot of time into it. anyone crunching before UG classes begin??

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Preptest 40 (something) I forget exactly, but got a 167, up from a 166, 165, 163, and 159. So I am continuing to get better. Thing that was encouraging about this last one is that I actually knew I fucked up on games and still did better than the last two tests in which I got -0 on games. Breakdown was:

LG -4 (mislabeled a rule on a game, actually had marked all the answers wrong but finished early enough that I was able to go back and fix 3 of the problems)
LR - 4 (role, flaw, weaken, weaken)
LR - 2 (inference, flaw)
RC - 8 (again fucking time is just killing me)

just realized I actually missed more raw numbers in this test than the last two, I guess there was just a harder curve.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Preptest 40 (something) I forget exactly, but got a 167, up from a 166, 165, 163, and 159. So I am continuing to get better. Thing that was encouraging about this last one is that I actually knew I fucked up on games and still did better than the last two tests in which I got -0 on games. Breakdown was:

LG -4 (mislabeled a rule on a game, actually had marked all the answers wrong but finished early enough that I was able to go back and fix 3 of the problems)
LR - 4 (role, flaw, weaken, weaken)
LR - 2 (inference, flaw)
RC - 8 (again fucking time is just killing me)

just realized I actually missed more raw numbers in this test than the last two, I guess there was just a harder curve.


i have the same problem with RC. time murders me. how are you working towards improving on this?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Barbie wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Preptest 40 (something) I forget exactly, but got a 167, up from a 166, 165, 163, and 159. So I am continuing to get better. Thing that was encouraging about this last one is that I actually knew I fucked up on games and still did better than the last two tests in which I got -0 on games. Breakdown was:

LG -4 (mislabeled a rule on a game, actually had marked all the answers wrong but finished early enough that I was able to go back and fix 3 of the problems)
LR - 4 (role, flaw, weaken, weaken)
LR - 2 (inference, flaw)
RC - 8 (again fucking time is just killing me)

just realized I actually missed more raw numbers in this test than the last two, I guess there was just a harder curve.


i have the same problem with RC. time murders me. how are you working towards improving on this?


haven't really started working on it yet because I was working on games and reasoning, but I plan on just doing a shitload of timed sections before october.

HOV
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby HOV » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm

wow, so i tried something new today. i took pt30 and resolved to go over every single question regardless of whether it was right or wrong. i went over every single question and every answer choice as well. i laid out why the wrong answers were wrong and why the right answers were right. some of the questions took so long to deconstruct and finally understand that one LR section ended up taking upwards of three hours... :shock:
Last edited by HOV on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StrictlyLiable
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 pm

HOV wrote:wow, so i tried something new today. i took pt30 and resolved to go over every single question regardless of whether it was right or wrong. i went over every single question and every answer choice as well. i ruled out why the wrong answers were wrong and why the right answers were right. some of the questions took so long to deconstruct and finally understand that one LR section ended up taking upwards of three hours... :shock:



This has helped me too.

HOV
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby HOV » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:This has helped me too.


i'm happy i did it. i think if i do this often enough i'll start seeing the benefits soon enough. i realized that my biggest problem is dwelling on the answer choices even though i've picked one out as being the stronger one. second guessing yourself is a terrible thing but taking tests under timed conditions has certainly helped me to stop bit by bit.

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jjlaw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 pm

LLB2JD wrote:So I have heard quite a bit about the birds in the forest game, but haven't really come in contact with it, until today. And I have an appreciation of why it is considered a crazy game The Powerscore book in its explanation of the game, i think, over analyzed with the inferences. I don't see how possible or even efficient it is to try and create all those inferences under exam conditions.


I love that game, and every other game that follows that pattern. Once you link that big, fat conditional chain, and take its big, fat contrapositive, the game is pretty much done.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Got another 173! On PT 32. I got a -1 on LGs and screwed up RC and some easy LR questions.

I'm pretty scared of this legendary birds in a forest game on the next test. All I know is that it's In/Out and has a huge chain.

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 pm

So I started mid may with a diagnostic of 140 and I took preptest 38 two days ago, timed of couse. got a 161

LG-3
LR-5
LR-7
RC-10

Pissed about the RC, and LR particularly RC because I practically missed an entire passage due to timing =/ the LR is a constant improvement so ill eventually get the hang of it. LG's are my thing though

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 pm

what prep test should I start with? I plan on taking 2 a week until Oct... start at the low numbers and work my way up?

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Barbie wrote:what prep test should I start with? I plan on taking 2 a week until Oct... start at the low numbers and work my way up?


10 real lsats
the next 10 lsats
10 more lsats

the whole 10 series... and try to buy the tests from 39 to 59 if you can. theyr like 20$ for 4 on amazon =)

good luck!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Dripworx wrote:
Barbie wrote:what prep test should I start with? I plan on taking 2 a week until Oct... start at the low numbers and work my way up?


10 real lsats
the next 10 lsats
10 more lsats

the whole 10 series... and try to buy the tests from 39 to 59 if you can. theyr like 20$ for 4 on amazon =)

good luck!


sorry I'm confused haha. Idk what is in those 3 books- do you have them? I have a copy of whatever tests are in Kaplan endurance book, and I have tests 7-52, excluding a few. Are those the same as the ones in the books?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BOSStongrl, DumbHollywoodActor, poptart123, tuesdayninja, Vino.Veritas, VMars, WeightliftingThinker, Yahoo [Bot] and 21 guests