October 2010 Test Prep

DrackedaryMaster

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm

eit wrote:I really don't like weaken questions.

Also, I HATE HATE HATE falling for the Shell Choice answers! Especially when Powerscore is all... yo, this is the attractive Shell Game answer which most people pick. Haha.

I've been able to limit missing a lot of the shell game answers, but the strengthen/weaken questions where the correct answer involves picking out the alternate cause drive me crazy. And the EXcept questions also bother me. At least these are areas I know I can still work on. What really bothers me though are the "abstract" answer choices for the method/flaw reasoning questions. The LRB says you just got to get comfortable with how LSAT uses the terminolgy in describing the events of the stimulus. The ones I manage to "interpret" correctly take forever, even longer than the parallel reasoning q's (which have been pretty well for me thanks to the LRB breakdown of attacking them ) The ones I miss, I'm left wondering how in the world I'd figure this out during the actual test in the constrained time.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Had a -1 on a LG section today, best yet. That -1 was because I got lazy and had gotten down to two possibilities and wanted to get back to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Yeah.

Too bad it was on PT11.

surfermikedude

Postby surfermikedude » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:32 am

Took both LRs from PT 12 tonight.

LR Section 1 -3
6) Evaluate the Argument (Can someone explain why A is the correct answer and D is not?)
24) Flaw
25) Must Be True Except

LR Section 4 -5
2) Dumb dumb dumb mistake - Assumption
7) Flaw (Can someone explain why this isn't A?)
8) Must Be True Except (Can someone explain why this isn't E?)
23) Parallel
24) Evaluate the Argument (not even worried about this one because it was so obscure)

Ugh, frustrated again tonight. I'm shooting for a 170 and missing 8 on LR isnt going to help any...

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:43 am

I thought I was the only one having problems with the EXCEPT questions. I don't even know why they bother me so much. I spend a few extra seconds translating and processing what the exception really means. I am getting more consistent though

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 am

LLB2JD wrote:I thought I was the only one having problems with the EXCEPT questions. I don't even know why they bother me so much. I spend a few extra seconds translating and processing what the exception really means. I am getting more consistent though

Oh gosh, I agree. I hate except problems - they make a problem that much more difficult. Luckily, they are fairly rare - much of the problem is when they are must be false questions. Those are my least favorite type of except question.

lparker

Postby lparker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 pm

surfermikedude wrote:Took both LRs from PT 12 tonight.

LR Section 1 -3
6) Evaluate the Argument (Can someone explain why A is the correct answer and D is not?)
24) Flaw
25) Must Be True Except

LR Section 4 -5
23) Parallel
24) Evaluate the Argument (not even worried about this one because it was so obscure)

Ugh, frustrated again tonight. I'm shooting for a 170 and missing 8 on LR isnt going to help any...

LR Section 4
7. The reason A is incorrect is because answer choice A is the Circular Reasoning fallacy. In order for it to be circular reasoning the premise must support the conclusion, and the conclusion must equally support the premise. The first premise in the stimulus states DataCom was financially more successful. The conclusion states that it is "therefore likely that DataCom owed its greater financial success..." The conclusion posits that it's likely, but it doesn't definitively claim that it's so. Therefore they aren't equally supporting each other.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:17 pm

I keep skimming the question stem and missing the EXCEPT and then obviously failing ot figure out the right answer lol. I think it's because I'm doing the LR bible, not real LR, but it's still a stupid thing to do, ugh.

I can't wait to finish the LR bible (only 4 chapters left) so I can take an LR and see how I score. I reallllly want at least one perfect LR. Or even a -1 LR would be pretty at this point.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Took PT27 today

LR -2
LG -2
RC -3
LR -3

raw 91/101
scaled 175

New personal best! I thought the games were very difficult, I got to my last game with ~5 mins left and luckily plowed through it in time to get 4/5 right on it. Going to review it tomorrow, the method of reviewing the entire test methodically seems to be working for me, I feel like I am making some gains from doing that.

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm

I've been working on the LG Bible for a week or so; I feel confident with the basic linear games.

Today, I started the advanced games... they kicked my ass. This is going to be a long couple of weeks...

MyNameIsYou

Postby MyNameIsYou » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:35 am

edit-- Wow, that ended up way longer than I had planned. For the tl;dr crowd--

1. Are there any ways to help me improve my visual memory (not sure if that's the right term)? I'm having a really tough time juggling conditionals, blocks, and numeric distributions at the forefront of my mind all at once.

2. Does it make sense to start prepping to finish 3 games instead of 4 if I'm still getting slaughtered in LG time-wise after heavy prep for a month?

3. My errors in LR are pretty uniform with regard to question type--my biggest issue is with tricky argument structure and wordy stimului. Other than more PT's, are there ways to improve my skills in these areas?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, long-time lurker here prepping for the October exam. I've been studying about 2-3 hours a day for the past month and am looking to up that to 4-5 hours a day from now until test day. I just started doing truly timed sections, doing half a test each day. I'm up to PT 30 and figure that I'll start doing full PT's about a week from now at a rate of roughly 3 per week until test day.

This is the first standardized test I've even studied a minute for, and a month into study it's still undoubtedly my worst. Despite doing each game in PT's 7-28 at least twice, I'm still fucking awful at LG. I've always had trouble with puzzles, sudoku, card games, etc. that require juggling several rules or chains of events in my head, and I feel like this has carried over to LG. At this point I simply cannot internalize and stay aware of all a game's rules--I'm reading over the rules too many times throughout each game. Hybrid games with lots of rules crush me, especially if they have complex conditionals (I guess the same goes for grouping games, too). Anyone heard of any success stories of people that fixed a similar problem by test day?

During timed LG sections, I'm working to finish all four games, but so far this has made me insanely pressed for time. I got -6 and -5 on the sections in PT's 29 and 30 respectively, but was deliriously happy with those results. I don't feel like I could repeat these performances with regularity. I got really bogged down in the third game on PT 30, and was left with so little time for the fourth game that I barely had enough time to even realize how big of a layup it was. I'm starting to wonder if it would make sense to start training to do only 3 of the games. Though this would cap my performance at -5 or so, the 3 extra minutes for each game would be huge for my accuracy. I'm curious what anyone has to say on that matter.

Fortunately my RC is tolerable for now (-4 or so) and my LR is somewhat of a strength (-2 or -3 usually). In these sections I get beat up mostly by convoluted wording and really strange argumentation, rather than any specific question type. Basically, my weakness is more one of general reading comprehension rather than analytical error. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this kind of weakness, other than taking and reviewing more PT's?

Hopefully I'll stay active around here so that I can have some more motivation to study. I'm surrounded by people who are amazed that I'm even planning to go to law school, let alone trying to get into a good one. I'm embarrassingly competitive, so all these reports of high PT scores should get me going

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 am

Im working my way through the Logical Games Bible by just finishing the Advanced Linear Games section using Pithypike's method ...I'm thinking it may be time to step on the accelerator, I will be purchasing the Logical Reasoning & Reading Comprehension Bibles this weekend.

Any constructive criticism? My goal is an 180

surfermikedude

Postby surfermikedude » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 am

Took one section from PT 13 today and got absolutely destroyed. -7. (After I studied weaken questions and got equally destroyed).

Then I thought Id at least build up some confidence before going to bed since I was feeling so frustrated about the LR section by doing a LG section. -5 when I normally ace them.

You may have won the battle, LSAT, but the war ain't over.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 am

surfermikedude wrote:Took one section from PT 13 today and got absolutely destroyed. -7. (After I studied weaken questions and got equally destroyed).

Then I thought Id at least build up some confidence before going to bed since I was feeling so frustrated about the LR section by doing a LG section. -5 when I normally ace them.

You may have won the battle, LSAT, but the war ain't over.

Haha, keep workin you'll get em.

Niche

Postby Niche » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 am

surfermikedude wrote:Took both LRs from PT 12 tonight.

LR Section 1 -3
24) Flaw
25) Must Be True Except

LR Section 4 -5
23) Parallel

On PT 12 LR Section 4 #8 I had a hard time seeing why C is correct too. And BTW I think it's an assumption question, not a must be true except. Anyone have any thoughts on why C is correct?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I just finished the LR Bible, and took the two LR sections from Superprep B to see how well the concepts stuck in my brain. Apparently not well. I got -4 and -2 on each of the sections respectively, for a stupid -6 overall. That's basically what I was getting beforehand, and now I'm taking MORE TIME to get to the stupid -6 or whatever than I was before.

The -2 is fine, but the -4 on the other section hurts my heart. I would be okay getting -2 on everything but I just have this dream of one day getting an LR section completely error free. (It's kind of making me want to burn through my prep material taking LR after another until I get it! But obviously that would make things worse haha, so I'm refraining).

I just feel like I'm not any better off than I was before I read through my LR Bible, and I also feel frustrated because I probably can't do any more work on prep today, so I feel all useless and minus sixy and I can't do anything about it arrrrrgh.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Hey guys, so I am feeling extremely pumped right now! I just took my second untimed practice test (PT 9) and scored a 165, up from my first practice test of 159 and my diagnostic of 157. I never expected that big of an increase. I'm feeling really comfortable with all the questions now and most of my mistakes seem to be careless errors like misreading a rule or an answer choice, so I think i'll be starting timed sections.

Here's a comparison of the two (3 weeks apart):

PT 7
Raw/Scaled - 71/159
LR1 -10
LG -1
RC -11
LR2 -8

PT9
Raw/Scaled - 78/165
RC -9
LR1 -5
LG -4
LR2 -5

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm

23 wrong is a 165 on the old tests? jezus, I got a 166 on my last preptest (40 something) with 14 wrong.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Im growing a particular hate for parallel reasoning and method of reasoning questions. Kill me now.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Parallel reasoning is a bitch.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 pm

I have a tendency in games that when i get stuck in a question, I keep trying to find the answer to the question by reading back the rules and spend a good amount of time instead of moving along. Any advices??? would doing hypothetical help?? Thanks

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:23 wrong is a 165 on the old tests? jezus, I got a 166 on my last preptest (40 something) with 14 wrong.

seriously, stupid harder lsat.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/ls ... score.html

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Just read the chapter on Advanced Linear games in the bible a day ago... did 6 games today and only got 1 wrong! I timed myself and with the exception of one game where I used all 8 min 45 sec, my games were about 6 minutes each! For advanced linear, that's really good. I'm super excited, I feel like it's finally clicked for Linear game types (I hope!).

On the other hand, am doing weaken questions, and they SUUUUCK! I hate them!!

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 pm

i hate parallel questions. I absolutely dont get them. I think I may just skip them, and use letter of the day? Do they show up a lot??

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 am

Too bad it was on PT11.

I got a minus one on this one too, and I was so sad when I checked the scale chart.

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 am

Just completed games 2-4 in the Advanced Linear Games Section of the Logic Bible, missed 3 questions, two were in Game 3 (the rock/new classic game #'s 13 & 15). I haven't reviewed the questions yet but I did browse through the answers and I noticed my setup for the third game wasn't as elaborate as Powerscore's.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”