October 2010 Test Prep

jwaters

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jwaters » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Preptest 42 today, in strict test like conditions with an experimental section from preptest 4, which I did as the third section. Scaled score of 165, up from 163 on my last prep test and a 159 cold. I'm a little worried at how slowly i'm making progress and if i'll even make the needed progress for a 170+. Should I worry about this?

Breakdown as follows

LG -0 (first section, felt great, finished way early)
LR -8 (ran out of time with 4 questions remaining, really got bogged down in the middle)
RC -5 (all on the same humanities passage about an artist. Apparently, I just didn't process that passage. But got every question right on Law, NS, SS passages, and although I was pressed for time, that wasn't the cause because this was the 2nd RC passage out of the 4)
LR -4 (time wasn't an issue for this one, but missed 3 assumption questions)

Overall, did about the same on RC as the last preptest (but the last preptest time was the issue not struggling with one passage), Better on games, and worse on LR due to having a time problem on one this time when i've never had a time problem on LR before.

Basically, i'm just getting really worried my score isn't up to where I want it to be yet. And that is discouraging.

Dude you still have over 2 months to study, plus you are making consistent progress. Don't get discouraged, that's not going to get you anywhere. And good job with the -0 on games.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:46 pm

northwood wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that the middle problems of LR are the most difficult. I have been noticing that most of my incorrect answers are grouped in problems 13-20. Are the test makers purposely making this section the harders ( assuming that test takers will tackle the section in numerical order- and not getting to the last (and "easier") questions until the end of 35 minutes, or am i just an anomoly who has a pattern in his testing that is not related at all to the difficulty of the test?

Apparently it's supposedly to reward test takers who make it through to the end or test takers who use strategy to finish (i.e. they skip harder questions in order to get all the easy questions they can).

Just finished Grouping/Linear (not bad), Sequencing, and "Patterning" from the Forgotten Few. I found the supposedly harder Patterning game (the matching kids to dance partners game) easier than the first, but both were... okay ish. Moving on to Circular Linear games... eek.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:07 pm

eit wrote:
northwood wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that the middle problems of LR are the most difficult. I have been noticing that most of my incorrect answers are grouped in problems 13-20. Are the test makers purposely making this section the harders ( assuming that test takers will tackle the section in numerical order- and not getting to the last (and "easier") questions until the end of 35 minutes, or am i just an anomoly who has a pattern in his testing that is not related at all to the difficulty of the test?

Apparently it's supposedly to reward test takers who make it through to the end or test takers who use strategy to finish (i.e. they skip harder questions in order to get all the easy questions they can).

Just finished Grouping/Linear (not bad), Sequencing, and "Patterning" from the Forgotten Few. I found the supposedly harder Patterning game (the matching kids to dance partners game) easier than the first, but both were... okay ish. Moving on to Circular Linear games... eek.

That's exactly what Kaplan used to say, lol. That there are easier questions at the end. I agree with this, though typically, only the last 2-3 questions are easier. ~15-~22 is where it's difficult.

I'm gonna try to do the 15 questions in 15 minutes thing, so I have 20 minutes for the rest...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm jealous of your LG score, Patriot.

I just finished another section of the LG bible, and while I was happy to get one of the harder ones perfect, I had to skip two sets because I still have them in preptest form. I think the most important thing is to get my mind working in the way it wants me to, looking back at old work and translating logically.
Last edited by Hannibal on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:I'm jealous of your LG score, Patriot.

That's part of the problem, with a -0 in LG I should be scoring way higher

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

You're like that person in class who complain about a 90, lol. You have two+ months to go and you are -0 at LG and 165. Next month, it'll be 170. September, it'll be 175. By October, you'll be fantastic!

Just watch out for dumb mistakes. I find that I do those for about half of my wrong answers.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

You're like that person in class who complain about a 90, lol. You have two+ months to go and you are -0 at LG and 165. Next month, it'll be 170. September, it'll be 175. By October, you'll be fantastic!

Just watch out for dumb mistakes. I find that I do those for about half of my wrong answers.

I do complain about 90's lol. A-'s are the vain of my existence. I should have gone to brown.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Just did some Type Two question drills, and well, I kinda love em. Way better than weakening questions, but I cant explain why. haha. I dont know if this is solely a testmasters thing, or an overall strategy for certain Logic Games but I learned about interchangability and, well, I dont understand the significance of it. I cannot wait to start doing practice test and see where Im at after my first diagnostic!

God Bless us all.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:13 pm

arewhyaen wrote:Just did some Type Two question drills, and well, I kinda love em. Way better than weakening questions, but I cant explain why. haha. I dont know if this is solely a testmasters thing, or an overall strategy for certain Logic Games but I learned about interchangability and, well, I dont understand the significance of it. I cannot wait to start doing practice test and see where Im at after my first diagnostic!

God Bless us all.

To someone who doesn't do TM, what are type two question drills? And interchangeability?

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:12 pm

To those of you already doing timed PT's....what other stuff do you add in during the week? Or do you just do the PT's and review? I was planning on doing 2 pt's a week plus around 3 timed sections of LG and LR. Do you think this is sufficient? I've already finished both of the bibles...

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by Gemini on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CalBear2011

Postby CalBear2011 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Wooooohoooo! I got my first legit timed 170 at Borders today! Superprep B: LR: -4, LG: -3, RC: -5, LR: -3. After that I went on to do PT. 29 which I got a 169 because midway the final LR a loud and obnoxious individual sat a seat away from me and I got thoroughly distracted and made multiple careless mistakes.

I had been treading in the waters of 165-167 for a long time and could not manage to break through that window and finally I have!

Regarding what northwood wrote about his incorrect answers grouping around problems 13-20 in LR, I have noticed this with my own tests as well.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 am

I officially hate any game where something is in a forest and something isn't and you have to work with stupid rules like that. I need to figure out where I'm going wrong with these games (birds in a forest, Superprep B trees in a forest)... ugh. I hate them.

macgruber

Postby macgruber » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:29 am

hey eit, ive been a long time lurker here and i made my account so i can tell you about that particular game. The Atlas logical games book has a great way of setting up games like the birds in/out game. Im sure there was a topic in the lsat prep section that mentioned what the Atlas method is. If you can't find it, its worth buying just to learn how to do that type of grouping imo.

judgekozinski

Postby judgekozinski » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:31 am

Signing on.

Just had first day of Princeton Review Hyperlearning in AZ. Scored a 151 on the first practice test, took LSAT last December and June 2009. Cancelled June, 149 in December after no sleep the night before. Lets see what we can do, 3.74 LSAC GPA.

Already took a Princeton Review course before December test but was very busy during the school year. If I can get between a 155 and 160 I will be happy. I will pretty much have all day to study up to the exam in October, hittin it hard.

drake

Postby drake » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:01 am

Last edited by drake on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:04 am

macgruber wrote:hey eit, ive been a long time lurker here and i made my account so i can tell you about that particular game. The Atlas logical games book has a great way of setting up games like the birds in/out game. Im sure there was a topic in the lsat prep section that mentioned what the Atlas method is. If you can't find it, its worth buying just to learn how to do that type of grouping imo.

Thank you for coming out of lurkerdom :). I'll definitely do a search to see if I can find the method somewhere online or in the forum... I've spent so much on books already haha, so I'm loath to buy any more, but if I can't master these it may be worth it.

I just did two games sections back to back (I'm kind of obsessed currently) and I got -3 (Superprep B) and -1 (Superprep C). I want a -0 games section pretty badly. But my timing sucked so even that -1 doesn't really count - I spent 9 minutes on the first game, 11 on the second, 13 on the third, and I think 12 on the fourth. 45 minutes altogether. But no point in speed without accuracy, I guess.

And Drake, those stupid researchers and birds! I found those gave me the most trouble as well. Maybe you would want to check out the Atlas method as well that's been suggested to me?

drake

Postby drake » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:07 am

Last edited by drake on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macgruber

Postby macgruber » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 am

The bird game with the normal tm way of diagramming took me a while and at first couldnt even finish the game. But after learning the atlas method really well i was able to do it in six min. Try a few bookstores cuz ive seen some atlas books there. The rest of the book was pretty much the same as the lr bible. Goodluck guys

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:02 am

drake wrote:Yeah those games were pretty tough for me. I really can't see myself doing those games under 8:45 right now. I think they each took at least 20 minutes and still got most of them wrong... drained my confidence.

Are grouping games usually the harder/hardest types of the LG section? I just hope there aren't any "Advanced Grouping Games" like there were "Advanced Linear Games."

I just met a game that spun my head around... June 1994 PT #11 ... freaking apprentices and project switching... my diagram was the weirdest thing ever. Managed to finish that games section in time (33 minutes when I gave up on the last game) and only a -4 which isn't so bad.

Someone please tell me those types of games don't come up terribly often? Haha.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:54 am

drake wrote:Yeah those games were pretty tough for me. I really can't see myself doing those games under 8:45 right now. I think they each took at least 20 minutes and still got most of them wrong... drained my confidence.

Are grouping games usually the harder/hardest types of the LG section? I just hope there aren't any "Advanced Grouping Games" like there were "Advanced Linear Games."

These games were all very tough for me at first. Got -13 on my first cold diagnostic. But after 5 weeks of studying, with a focus on games, I already am getting -0 on preptests. Just keep working.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:56 am

jwaters wrote:To those of you already doing timed PT's....what other stuff do you add in during the week? Or do you just do the PT's and review? I was planning on doing 2 pt's a week plus around 3 timed sections of LG and LR. Do you think this is sufficient? I've already finished both of the bibles...

I take a 4 hr class twice a week (which I often arrive late to due to work), i'm following LSAT blogs 4 month schedule, and doing 1 timed pt a week right now with review. Will kick it up to three a week when class is over and I feel I have the needed skills.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 am

For those of you having trouble with birds in the forest (or any grouping game) check out this post on LSAT Blog. http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/lo ... orest.html

This really helped me out on diagramming games with a lot of conditional rules.

drake

Postby drake » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:40 am

Last edited by drake on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
arewhyaen wrote:Just did some Type Two question drills, and well, I kinda love em. Way better than weakening questions, but I cant explain why. haha. I dont know if this is solely a testmasters thing, or an overall strategy for certain Logic Games but I learned about interchangability and, well, I dont understand the significance of it. I cannot wait to start doing practice test and see where Im at after my first diagnostic!

God Bless us all.

To someone who doesn't do TM, what are type two question drills? And interchangeability?

Hmm I think Type Twos are "Strengthen" questions. And interchangability is basically like random variables that could be switched in and out in logic games. I just feel like it takes too much time for something that seems like common sense.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”