October 2010 Test Prep

LLB2JD

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm

eit wrote:
lamentable wrote:Regarding RC, how long does it take you all to go through a passage? After haphazardly going through a passage I have focused on detailing the structure of each paragraph (just a few words touching on the structure). After three passages I have consistently timed at 4:30 per passage. It seems pretty high, but the accuracy I'm getting is a lot better than before.

So, thoughts on timing RC passages? Should it get down closer to 3:30?

It takes me about 1-2 minutes per passage, depending on the content. If it's a passage on somebody's opinions of poetry or some jazz like that, I pretty much need a minute and then I'm done haha - English major here. But the science ones take me longer. However, this is natural speed reading and probably not recommended, I work to slow myself down.

I need to speed the eff up on Logic Games. I've only just got through the chapter on Linear Games though, so I can't get too anxious. At least I'm getting better at my diagrams. Please raise your hand if you love Not Laws. Seriously. Works much better than what I was doing before.

I feel almost like I'm neglecting my LR and RC while I'm focusing so much on these Logic Games... think I'll review my LR from a couple days ago tonight after I take a break.

I hate you. :D Reading comprehension was my strength when I started studying, but it is currently my weakest. After spending all this time on the Logical and Analytical Reasoning, I feel like those 2 sections are clicking everyday.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Ok, I'm getting WORSE at Logic games. Maybe it's because I'm thinking too hard and trying to avoid POE too much.

I got the logic games Bible in the mail today, I'll look over all the problems up to Ptest 29 and then from 40-50.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
eit wrote:
lamentable wrote:Regarding RC, how long does it take you all to go through a passage? After haphazardly going through a passage I have focused on detailing the structure of each paragraph (just a few words touching on the structure). After three passages I have consistently timed at 4:30 per passage. It seems pretty high, but the accuracy I'm getting is a lot better than before.

So, thoughts on timing RC passages? Should it get down closer to 3:30?

It takes me about 1-2 minutes per passage, depending on the content. If it's a passage on somebody's opinions of poetry or some jazz like that, I pretty much need a minute and then I'm done haha - English major here. But the science ones take me longer. However, this is natural speed reading and probably not recommended, I work to slow myself down.

I need to speed the eff up on Logic Games. I've only just got through the chapter on Linear Games though, so I can't get too anxious. At least I'm getting better at my diagrams. Please raise your hand if you love Not Laws. Seriously. Works much better than what I was doing before.

I feel almost like I'm neglecting my LR and RC while I'm focusing so much on these Logic Games... think I'll review my LR from a couple days ago tonight after I take a break.

I hate you. :D Reading comprehension was my strength when I started studying, but it is currently my weakest. After spending all this time on the Logical and Analytical Reasoning, I feel like those 2 sections are clicking everyday.

If it helps, I re-read bits of the passage for almost every question. I don't have time issues overall, but I do spend more time looking back at the passage after the initial re-read. I guess whether or not the initial read is enough (besides detail questions) is different for everyone but I probably spend around 4 minutes with the passage altogether :) .

I think I'm going to order the LRB. I really like the LGB and I think a system of attack for LR might be helpful as well. Once I've ordered that plus the prep tests I will be done spending ridiculous amounts of money on prep books, sigh.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 pm

I agree, I wasn't going to buy the LRB but the LGB has been fantastic the last couple hours.

Also, I find that if I read the questions first and underline/bracket the words or paragraphs that are mentioned specifically in a question it limits how often I go back.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:I agree, I wasn't going to buy the LRB but the LGB has been fantastic the last couple hours.

Also, I find that if I read the questions first and underline/bracket the words or paragraphs that are mentioned specifically in a question it limits how often I go back.

I don't mind going back and looking through the passage. I feel better when I reference it for questions, actually, so I am going to keep doing that.

I'm definitely not buying the RC bible, haha. I think RC is something you have to figure out for yourself cause everyone has a personal reading style.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm going through the RC bible now, I thought the LR and LG bibles were awesome, but the RC so far isn't really that great, I'll finish the bible since I paid for it but I'm not expecting much from it.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:31 am

I think I've officially finished ordering/buying books for this test. I seriously better make at least a little of this back when I sell my books after this (intentionally doing all the work in my LGBible in a notebook so I can hawk it as pristine as it arrived). Of course, this is assuming no retakes, haha.

What have you guys bought?

I have:
LGB
All 3 books of 10, plus Superprep
And I have ordered the LRB as well as tests 43-59, except for 44 which was out of stock or something on my Amazon website. I don't feel like ordering it separately from LSAC though because I had issues with them shipping me the books of 10.

I feel inordinately prepared materials wise. Otherwise, not so much yet.

paz

Postby paz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 am

just finished my first two classes of the summer testmasters course;

diagnostic was a pitiful 148 cold (didn't want to learn the incorrect way before the course began.)

first class we spent learning how to diagram and solve LR. homework is pretty intense, it looks like i have a long road ahead of me.

i'm fairly quick and intelligent i'd like to think, should i be worried about scoring so low on the diag though? i couldn't even finish the reading comp section and guessed the last 8 (to which i got none right. haha)

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 am

Hi guys, I rarely post here but remembered how much useful information were at these forums recently! I just started a Testmasters course as well and I had a 155 cold. The homework is alot but I feel like I'm learning alot as well. My main problem right now is that I cannot, for the life of me, find a place to study! My house is too loud, the library needs some noise nazis working for them, and starbucks...well...that place is only suitable for finals. Any suggestions guys?

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 am

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 am

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 am

Jim Halpert wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Bro, you can do it even if your busy. I am in class or at work everyday from 9-6 and I find time to work out and get 20+ hours in of studying. Just get away from all the distractions and crack down.

I guess I just need to push myself more...I've been so tired lately. I haven't hit the gym in about 6 months. Out of curiosity, what's your schedule like everyday?

M-TH: Up at 6, breakfast or news or whatever till 6:30, gym from 6:45ish to 8:15ish, shower/protein shake till 8:45, class 9-11, change/lunch 11:15-11:45, work 12-6, LSAT or class study 6:30-10, in bed by midnight.

F the same as above except no studying and instead going out.

Saturday I wake up, go for my long run (7-10 miles), and then hang out relax, try to get about 4 hours of studying in before going out.

Sunday I wake up, go to church, and I hang out relax, do a little more studying, and get done whatever apartment cleaning or errand running that needs to be done.

EDIT: I'm not completely strict about my schedule, like last night I just went home and watched TV because I was exhausted. But will probably make up for it this weekend.

I think I need to start doing the same...my schedule is pretty close to yours actually. How do you handle going out and coming home late? I've pretty much blown my friends off the past month and sometimes I just sit in my room watching tv because I can't concentrate on studying. It may take me 30-45 mins to get through a game or I may fly through one if its easy...sometimes I just zone out. :roll:

Do you mean like hanging out with friends? It's something I want to do and make sure even if I'm tired that I don't blow them off because that will come back to bite me in the ass later. And I'm fine functioning on 6 hours of sleep so If I come home at two or three i'm fine with waking up at 9. And I tend to do a good job of not drinking so much it effects me the next day. As far as the night time studying, it gets hard for sure. Which is why some days I don't do it. But generally once I get myself to sit down at the library i'm ready and motivated.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 am

Hope everyone's studying is going well. I have yet to start studying for my retake, it's hard to get back into the groove with class and work. I shouldn't need to do a full 3 (now 2.5) months of studying for a retake right? I was thinking a solid 2 months tops. But my biggest problem was running out of time on RC so maybe I need to start practicing RC.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

I like this schedule talk.

I'm also doing a retake and I started like July 10 so that's basically a three month schedule. I've been studying, albeit a little, every day since then.

Here is my schedule:

M: wake up 10/10:30, eat, yoga, 1pm-8pm LSAT study BUT I take lots of breaks in between, including lunch and some internet breaks.

Tu: wake up at 8, work 10-5, dinner from 6-7, study from 7-8/8:30 (though it should be more)

W: same as Monday

Th, Fr: same as Tuesday

Saturday: study goal of 6 hours OR free day

Sunday: vice versa of Saturday (if I study Saturday, Sunday is a free day)

I end up having only about 3 intense study days. Right now, I've been reading the bibles and I still have so much more to read. In order to keep up with Pithypike's method (linear games month 1, grouping games month 2, etc), I feel like I need to amp it up times 10.

I feel so behind!!

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:26 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I like this schedule talk.

I'm also doing a retake and I started like July 10 so that's basically a three month schedule. I've been studying, albeit a little, every day since then.

Here is my schedule:

M: wake up 10/10:30, eat, yoga, 1pm-8pm LSAT study BUT I take lots of breaks in between, including lunch and some internet breaks.

Tu: wake up at 8, work 10-5, dinner from 6-7, study from 7-8/8:30 (though it should be more)

W: same as Monday

Th, Fr: same as Tuesday

Saturday: study goal of 6 hours OR free day

Sunday: vice versa of Saturday (if I study Saturday, Sunday is a free day)

I end up having only about 3 intense study days. Right now, I've been reading the bibles and I still have so much more to read. In order to keep up with Pithypike's method (linear games month 1, grouping games month 2, etc), I feel like I need to amp it up times 10.

I feel so behind!!

If you're retaking shouldn't you already be fairly comfortable with everything? Well, unless you took it awhile ago.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 pm

I took it in Sept '09, as well as June '09. So it's been almost a full year since I've touched anything.

But apart from that, I want to start fresh because I'm determined to score 168+ and I've never read the bibles before. If they're as good as everyone says and if I push it, and study more than I ever have before, perhaps I'll get higher.

Here's my history:

I took a Kaplan class and that got me a 158 in June. I had a good teacher, but clearly, it wasn't working for me. Also, I think stress and ANXIETY played a huge factor for me.

Between June and September, I didn't study much but still managed to increase by 5 points.

So now, I am determined to increase more than I ever have before, with a combination of intense and consistent study as well as a yoga/laid-back lifestyle.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 pm

I just spent 3 hours working through the grouping games chapter in the LGB. I don't really like the diagramming methods for grouping games as much as I did the Linear diagramming methods. But maybe that's because I really don't like grouping games haha. On to combination Linear/Grouping. Which sounds freaking intimidating.

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Throwing my hat into the mix. Retaking in October. Good luck to everyone.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Libertarian, that's exactly what I did. Let's hope I see some miracle improvements. I just spent $87 on Cambridge LSAT questions. I bought Flaw, Weaken, Assumption (both suff. and necc.), Principle, Most Difficult Questions, Difficult RC passages, PT 60, and Must be True.

Hopefully this will greatly help in my studies.

I'm looking for a study buddy. Someone very motivated, as I am, so we can keep each other motivated and on our toes. Is anybody interested? Since all of us are re-taking in October, I hope to find someone from here. Let me know through PM if you want. Thanks! :)

Bluben

Postby Bluben » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Finally going to start studying this weekend for my retake in october. Got my bibles in the mail and gotta dig out some prep material i never looked over from the classes i took. 170s here i come.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Any of you interested in sharing AIM screen names and helping each other study? I think LR is starting to click for me. I don't know how it did not click last summer, but it's starting to get better. Logic games are getting better for me as well but timing needs improvement! I am currently doing the Atlas Self Study and will be on less 9 out of 12 tomorrow. I see one of you mentioned having a study buddy. I'm not sure I would be a good fit since some of you seem to be getting a diagnostic to what I hope to achieve on test day haha.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Absolutely.

My Aim is Hannibal222

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:13 pm

My aim is ceobigmoney . Feel free to IM anytime for any LSAT or law school related question ( I can try to help if I can). Let's put together a nice list of screen names. We should also put together a list of PTs we have done or are working on that we don't mind taking questions on or need help on.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:04 pm

heeeyyy,

my aim is BT3Caddy.

Feel free to add me!!

And jaydizzle, it doesn't matter what your goal or my goal is. Maybe I can help you do better or help my self by helping you or you can help me with your LR epiphanies, lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”