October 2010 Test Prep

brochocinco

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby brochocinco » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:46 pm

After spending my spring semester gallivanting through Europe, I decided taking the June LSAT was not the best idea. I started studying hardcore about a week ago after already having a solid base from prepping earlier this year for June. Probably going to take my first PT of the cycle in a few weeks after I reread the LRB and LGB. We'll see...

TonyStarks wrote:Is anybody else planning on using the 3 month plan offered here on the lsat blog?

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/3- ... edule.html

I thought about following this but I like Pithy Pike's guide better. Studying all LG then all LR and so on seemed like a good way to get burned out but to each their own.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 pm

brochocinco wrote:After spending my spring semester gallivanting through Europe, I decided taking the June LSAT was not the best idea. I started studying hardcore about a week ago after already having a solid base from prepping earlier this year for June. Probably going to take my first PT of the cycle in a few weeks after I reread the LRB and LGB. We'll see...

TonyStarks wrote:Is anybody else planning on using the 3 month plan offered here on the lsat blog?

I thought about following this but I like Pithy Pike's guide better. Studying all LG then all LR and so on seemed like a good way to get burned out but to each their own.

You're right. This is what I have been doing for a month and I already feel burned out. I haven't been studying as hard or as focused for about a week or so. It's not that i'm losing sight of my goals - I still want to do really well in my prep. I just feel drained from all this reading of the LGB and then LRB. Hopefully i'll get back into my groove once I switch things up in the next few days and begin taking PTs.

brickman

Postby brickman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:57 pm

TMT90 wrote:
brochocinco wrote:After spending my spring semester gallivanting through Europe, I decided taking the June LSAT was not the best idea. I started studying hardcore about a week ago after already having a solid base from prepping earlier this year for June. Probably going to take my first PT of the cycle in a few weeks after I reread the LRB and LGB. We'll see...

You're right. This is what I have been doing for a month and I already feel burned out. I haven't been studying as hard or as focused for about a week or so. It's not that i'm losing sight of my goals - I still want to do really well in my prep. I just feel drained from all this reading of the LGB and then LRB. Hopefully i'll get back into my groove once I switch things up in the next few days and begin taking PTs.

Watch this and then get back to studying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Refer back to as needed.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:14 pm

I had my first timed attempt today, which was good because it alerted me to the fact that I need to make sure my diagrams are completely freaking right at the start, and also that you can't sit around staring at the Logic Games to try to make them make sense. I had to finish a game in the 5 minute warning period, haha. And of course, I got all those questions right, and had the third game totally wrong. I ended up with -1LR, -7LG, -3RC, -4LR for a decent 165.

Does anyone else have absolutely no problem with timing for anything but LG? I finish RC and LR with 5-10 minutes to spare each time. But my mind is dreadfully slow with LG.

One thing I'd definitely recommend to everyone preparing is to use the LSAT Cacophony timer. There are scritching pencils right after you're told to start, and I immediately felt like "oh no, everyone's writing, I'm slow, ahhhhhhhh" and it took me a bit to settle down. It's nice to have actual noises you might encounter - I've been using my family as noise machines (which they certainly work well as), but I doubt someone's going to turn on the television or yell at the dog whilst in the actual exam.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:39 pm

eit wrote:I had my first timed attempt today, which was good because it alerted me to the fact that I need to make sure my diagrams are completely freaking right at the start, and also that you can't sit around staring at the Logic Games to try to make them make sense. I had to finish a game in the 5 minute warning period, haha. And of course, I got all those questions right, and had the third game totally wrong. I ended up with -1LR, -7LG, -3RC, -4LR for a decent 165.

Does anyone else have absolutely no problem with timing for anything but LG? I finish RC and LR with 5-10 minutes to spare each time. But my mind is dreadfully slow with LG.

One thing I'd definitely recommend to everyone preparing is to use the LSAT Cacophony timer. There are scritching pencils right after you're told to start, and I immediately felt like "oh no, everyone's writing, I'm slow, ahhhhhhhh" and it took me a bit to settle down. It's nice to have actual noises you might encounter - I've been using my family as noise machines (which they certainly work well as), but I doubt someone's going to turn on the television or yell at the dog whilst in the actual exam.

I have my first full length (5 sections) practice test tonight. Hoping after a completely cold 159 that i'll jump up to at least 167 for today.

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 am

eit wrote: One thing I'd definitely recommend to everyone preparing is to use the LSAT Cacophony timer. There are scritching pencils right after you're told to start, and I immediately felt like "oh no, everyone's writing, I'm slow, ahhhhhhhh" and it took me a bit to settle down. It's nice to have actual noises you might encounter - I've been using my family as noise machines (which they certainly work well as), but I doubt someone's going to turn on the television or yell at the dog whilst in the actual exam.

I'm going to have to invest as well. My roomates watching TV or playing "California Girls" just doesn't seem to simulate testing conditions. Although, I hear things get pretty loud on test day. :wink:

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 am

eit wrote:Does anyone else have absolutely no problem with timing for anything but LG? I finish RC and LR with 5-10 minutes to spare each time. But my mind is dreadfully slow with LG.

I'm having this problem as well. There's always 1 game per section that takes me way too much time to complete. The consensus is that it gets easier with practice, so don't worry too much about timing right now.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 pm

brochocinco wrote:
eit wrote: One thing I'd definitely recommend to everyone preparing is to use the LSAT Cacophony timer. There are scritching pencils right after you're told to start, and I immediately felt like "oh no, everyone's writing, I'm slow, ahhhhhhhh" and it took me a bit to settle down. It's nice to have actual noises you might encounter - I've been using my family as noise machines (which they certainly work well as), but I doubt someone's going to turn on the television or yell at the dog whilst in the actual exam.

I'm going to have to invest as well. My roomates watching TV or playing "California Girls" just doesn't seem to simulate testing conditions. Although, I hear things get pretty loud on test day. :wink:

http://padawanlaw.com/2010/04/lsat-proc ... ft-to-you/

It's free! I'm sure there are also a lot of apps and what not to purchase, but I've spent way too much money already on all my prep books for me to be able to part with some more on a proctor DVD or what not... at least not right now.

Still need to pick up a watch to start practicing with once I do timed regularly.

StirFry101

Postby StirFry101 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 pm

unattended bag wrote:
eit wrote:Does anyone else have absolutely no problem with timing for anything but LG? I finish RC and LR with 5-10 minutes to spare each time. But my mind is dreadfully slow with LG.

I'm having this problem as well. There's always 1 game per section that takes me way too much time to complete. The consensus is that it gets easier with practice, so don't worry too much about timing right now.

I originally had this problem too. I thought that I was just going waaay to slow and couldn't figure out how to speed it up. Then I started to spend way more time maximizing my inferences at the beginning diagram. I started to spend a good 3-5 minutes on completely diagramming the rules, and I found the questions to go by much quicker.

I also made sure to put the local questions right by the question, and the global questions near my original diagram. I often found that the global questions helped answer other questions throughout the game.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm

is anyone NOT doing timed tests right now? I've been doing the tests in 10 actual as sections on their own focusing on analyzing each question: what is it asking, why is this answer correct, why are other answer choices incorrect, etc. Anybody else still on the accuracy only stage right now??

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm still in the accuracy stage. RC is hit or miss for me, but LR and LG need a lot and lot of work. I feel like LG is coming together, but I still miss some of the tougher LR problems. I really need a 160+, preferably a 165 so I don't waste my GPA. This 153 from December is haunting me. :x

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:34 pm

lastch2 wrote:is anyone NOT doing timed tests right now? I've been doing the tests in 10 actual as sections on their own focusing on analyzing each question: what is it asking, why is this answer correct, why are other answer choices incorrect, etc. Anybody else still on the accuracy only stage right now??

I'm still just doing accuracy...in fact I still have yet to even look at a single RC passage. Right now I'm working on doing all LR section in The Next 10. There's still plenty of time to do timed tests.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 pm

jwaters wrote:
lastch2 wrote:is anyone NOT doing timed tests right now? I've been doing the tests in 10 actual as sections on their own focusing on analyzing each question: what is it asking, why is this answer correct, why are other answer choices incorrect, etc. Anybody else still on the accuracy only stage right now??

I'm still just doing accuracy...in fact I still have yet to even look at a single RC passage. Right now I'm working on doing all LR section in The Next 10. There's still plenty of time to do timed tests.

funny, I'm doing the same thing..only i've been doing LR and LG but the thought of RC right now is just too much. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

gatorbait

Postby gatorbait » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Good luck to everybody as you all start with PTs, etc...My first two didn't go exactly as I hoped.

Anyway, quick question...On test day, as far as the experimental section is concerned, obviously it's easy to tell when you come to the extra section which type (LR LG or RC) the experimental is. But I see people talking about how they knew which one was experimental (in June I guess it was an extra LG) and which one was not. I'm assuming the experimental isn't always placed last (as in the 3rd LR or the 2nd LG), so there's no way to just shrug off what one thinks is the experimental, because one doesn't know, correct?

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 pm

gatorbait wrote:Good luck to everybody as you all start with PTs, etc...My first two didn't go exactly as I hoped.

Anyway, quick question...On test day, as far as the experimental section is concerned, obviously it's easy to tell when you come to the extra section which type (LR LG or RC) the experimental is. But I see people talking about how they knew which one was experimental (in June I guess it was an extra LG) and which one was not. I'm assuming the experimental isn't always placed last (as in the 3rd LR or the 2nd LG), so there's no way to just shrug off what one thinks is the experimental, because one doesn't know, correct?

correct. In june there was more than one experimental. Mine was LG but others had an extra RC or LR. Mine was the first section, and I think they're usually within the first 3 sections--before the break. But other than that no real way to tell, other than on the experimental LG one it was super easy, way easier than LSAC would let you get away with.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey all, another October taker here. Taking testmasters course, and wondering if the LR bible will directly conflict with any concepts that TM teaches, for anyone that has done both. I have time to devour the LR bible but I'm scared that it will confuse what I'm doing in TM.

Anyway, took the "baseline" diagnostic without any real studying and came out with a 159. -16 total in LR, -7 I think in RC, and.... perfect LG score. I feel like that's opposite of everyone here, guess I should learn how to read.

timing yourself in a strict manner at least once in the very primary stages of studying is a good idea because it obviously gives you a good idea of what you natually suck at. I found myself guessing the last two questions of both LR sections. the PT was proctored.

Look fwd to sharing notes with you all.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Need some advice. I haven't gotten my score back from last night yet so I don't know how I did. But I again (like my diagnostic) ran out of time on the RC section and probably missed most of the questions on the last passage. Now I got a 35 on the RC section of the ACT some i'm not sure why i'm having that problem. On the diagnostic I got every question right on the first three passages except for 1 and then missed every question on the last passage due to running out of time. Anyone have some suggestions for me?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm

gatorbait wrote:Good luck to everybody as you all start with PTs, etc...My first two didn't go exactly as I hoped.

Each student has a different experimental section but they are all given at the same time during the test. For me in the June test I had an extra LR section and I am glad I did because that his how I studied on my practice tests (3 LR, 1LG, RC). There is a way to find out the experimental section but I highly do not recommend it. It would involve looking at others peoples tests which is both a horrible idea and a sure way of getting dinged for breaking testing procedures. The only time that ALL three types of sections are being taken is during the experimental section. Just take the test as it is supposed to be given... try your hardest on every section and don't worry about trying to figure out which is the experimental section. Just realize that section 4-5 are ALWAYS scored and that the experimental section is given in the first three. Besides the experimental section serves a purpose... it is not there to make your life 35min more miserable.

Patriot1208 wrote:Need some advice. I haven't gotten my score back from last night yet so I don't know how I did. But I again (like my diagnostic) ran out of time on the RC section and probably missed most of the questions on the last passage. Now I got a 35 on the RC section of the ACT some i'm not sure why i'm having that problem. On the diagnostic I got every question right on the first three passages except for 1 and then missed every question on the last passage due to running out of time. Anyone have some suggestions for me?

Find out whats holding you back... How long is taking you to read the passages? Are you effectively marking up the passage (viewpoints/tone/etc)? Personally when I did RC I would read the question and answers before going back to the passage. If at that time I the correct answer wasn't readily apparent I would go back to the passage. You should at least have a good idea where to look within the passage for the correct answer. The contender/loser model also worked well for me. You have to be engaged in the reading... Trick yourself to be interested in the text... reading thick boring text regularly and then attempting to question yourself on it helps. Read an article then ask yourself (how many paragraphs? what where the shifts? what were the prominent viewpoints? where they any disagreements within the article? etc etc)
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Need some advice. I haven't gotten my score back from last night yet so I don't know how I did. But I again (like my diagnostic) ran out of time on the RC section and probably missed most of the questions on the last passage. Now I got a 35 on the RC section of the ACT some i'm not sure why i'm having that problem. On the diagnostic I got every question right on the first three passages except for 1 and then missed every question on the last passage due to running out of time. Anyone have some suggestions for me?

a lot of people suggest reading something like The Economist to get yourself use to comprehending and analyzing several paragraphs of complex, technical writing. It couldn't hurt, the more you are forced to do something the better you become at it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

lastch2 wrote:

a lot of people suggest reading something like The Economist to get yourself use to comprehending and analyzing several paragraphs of complex, technical writing. It couldn't hurt, the more you are forced to do something the better you become at it.

It's not digesting the material that is the problem. It's more just how slow I read, and since i've started marking up the passage like people suggest I read even more slow.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lastch2 wrote:

It's not digesting the material that is the problem. It's more just how slow I read, and since i've started marking up the passage like people suggest I read even more slow.

if it's not comprehension, then I wouldn't worry about marking up the passages in any specific way. If you can read and comprehend the paragraphs, then I would just use basic underlining/starring/brackets to save time. Other than that I'm stumped...sorry.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lastch2 wrote:

if it's not comprehension, then I wouldn't worry about marking up the passages in any specific way. If you can read and comprehend the paragraphs, then I would just use basic underlining/starring/brackets to save time. Other than that I'm stumped...sorry.

alright, hopefully, repitition ftw.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Just got my score from last night, 163, up from my 159 cold diagnostic. Little worried its still this low (its been almost 4 weeks of studying). I did do much better on logic games than the diagnostic, but worse on RC, and about the same on LR.

Just looked at my questions, -4 LG (all 4 on 1 hybrid matching game), - 3 1st LR, -6 2nd LR, -8 RC (missed the last six because I just ran out of time, put B for all of them and didn't get a single one right.)

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 am

Just completed PT 7, my first PT since my diagnostic late May. I scored a 159 which I guess isn't bad improvement for a month's worth of reading the bibles. It's only a few points higher than my diagnostic. Is this concerning at all that I haven't made a bigger improvement? Just one more correct answer and I would've scored 160.

Breakdown of PT 7: -10 LR1/-1 LG/-11 RC/-8 LR2 71/101 = 159.

I'm extremely proud of my LG section since pre-LGB I was getting -6 to -8 per LG section, but boy was RC a huge eye opener for me. I missed only 3 on my diagnostic, but RC was my worst section this time around. Guess I can't complain too much though since I did see overall improvement in my score.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:15 am

It took me 24 minutes (granted, I was in my staff room on a break, and people were talking to me about what I was doing) to figure out a game, oh my goddd haha. I knew I was missing some key inference and finally realized that Wednesday and Friday aren't consecutive, DUH.

I'm ordering the Logic Games Bible as we speak. This section needs worrrrrk. Frack.

I'm *supposed* to still be doing accuracy right now. With Logic Games, accuracy is seriously needing help, so I'm still working on accuracy with that.

For Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning I don't ever take the full amount of time, so I'm not actually concerned with speeding up, although I'm doing everything timed. I'm sure I'll take longer on the actual exam (re-focusing through the nerves takes a bit of time), but with an extra 5-10 minutes each, I think I can finish each of those sections.

Logic games are just going to kill me. Unless I kill them. That's the spirit.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”