October 2010 Test Prep

Underoath

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:35 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Underoath wrote:
brickman wrote:
Underoath wrote:I am also taking the Kaplan prep course on July 31. It is the only prep course in my area (10 min away) that works with my schedule since the classes meet on weekends.

I have the Bibles and some other material that I will use in addition to Kaplan's methods. I will adjust the methods according to how I see fit.

I scored fairly low on the initial diagnostic so I am hoping to increase by 15 points!

Perhaps the most adaptable preparatory course is your own! Ditch Kaplan, pick up Pithypike's 2-3 hours a day (or as it fits your schedule) and save yourself a few shekels and focus more intensely on a system that will be inherently more flexible.

I can't study on my own. Too many external factors interrupting me and I'm not referring to the internet or my cell phone.

I rather take a prep course anyway because I can ask questions on a specific topic or game and get feedback rather than trying to decipher on my own why such and such question is correct.
In addition to kaplan I will be incorporating other study material as well.
If any of this is run on or grammatically incorrect its because I'm on my cell phone typing this.

And why do I feel the need to put that disclaimer there? You figure it out.

TINTCR. That's a good thing. You do well on the LSAT by breaking it down and figuring out its language and structure. You'll learn much more figuring out questions by yourself, than you will by listening to someone tell you how it's done. Plus, if you do get stuck on a specific question, TLS is a great resource. People help others a lot. Just ask. Just my $.02, to each his own.

I don't know what TINTCR means, but in the end I can't study at home because people are inconsiderate.

yeah, I could go to Starbucks, library, etc, but I learn better in an academic setting with other students.

Like I previously stated before I am not just using Kaplan's method. I will be using my own as well.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 pm

It is stupid people are trying to get you to drop the class if you want to do it. So far, I have found a combination of the Powerscore bibles and the kaplan method as best for me. And after only two weeks of studying I'm regularly (untimed, but not really using much more than the 9 minutes or so) getting between 0-2 wrong on logic games sections of the older preptests.

sshaqsb

Postby sshaqsb » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

I've been reading this forum for a while, but I joined recently. I took a diagnostic a while ago since I wanted to take the June LSAT but my class schedule plus work as such really didn't really enough time to properly prepare. My initial diagnostic was pretty low. I had a high accuracy rate but my speed was way too slow. I started studying a couple weeks ago, I started with 2 hours a day but now I'm doing 3 hours. I'll probably take a 3 month leave from my job while I study so that I can study for around 4-5 hours a day since 3 hours has been pretty easy. I'm hoping to get at least a 174 on my LSAT's come Oct. I wish everyone here the best of luck, I hope you all accomplish your respective goals.

se5896

Postby se5896 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Can anyone who has taken the Powerscore course tell me what they thought about it? I took another prep course earlier this year, PT's 165-168, then took June '10 LSAT and cancelled my score. Just looked over the Powerscore materials and they look much more comprehensive - wondering if I should take the actual course.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:It is stupid people are trying to get you to drop the class if you want to do it. So far, I have found a combination of the Powerscore bibles and the kaplan method as best for me. And after only two weeks of studying I'm regularly (untimed, but not really using much more than the 9 minutes or so) getting between 0-2 wrong on logic games sections of the older preptests.

THANK YOU!

People on this forum are like ANTI-prep course or something and tend to make comments like if you can't learn on your own then you shouldn't be going to law school.

Everyone learns in a different manner. For me, I learn best with a teacher AMONGST other students because I like insight from others so a tutoring session is out.

I have the Bibles. I haven't looked at the LG because I feel I can easily grasp that quick. I started on the LR. I still have some hard work ahead of me, but I am excited for it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Underoath wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:It is stupid people are trying to get you to drop the class if you want to do it. So far, I have found a combination of the Powerscore bibles and the kaplan method as best for me. And after only two weeks of studying I'm regularly (untimed, but not really using much more than the 9 minutes or so) getting between 0-2 wrong on logic games sections of the older preptests.

THANK YOU!

People on this forum are like ANTI-prep course or something and tend to make comments like if you can't learn on your own then you shouldn't be going to law school.

Everyone learns in a different manner. For me, I learn best with a teacher AMONGST other students because I like insight from others so a tutoring session is out.

I have the Bibles. I haven't looked at the LG because I feel I can easily grasp that quick. I started on the LR. I still have some hard work ahead of me, but I am excited for it.

For me, the combination of the two has been the best so far. I would say if I had to pick one between self study and class I would just do self study. But the combination is really the best if you have the money or can convince your parents to pay for the class.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Underoath wrote:I don't know what TINTCR means

TITCR= This Is The Credited Response

TINTCR = This Is Not The Credited Response

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18478

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm

@se5896:
I too am interested in reviews of PowerScore LSAT prep courses, although I realize that the quality probably varies with the teaching abilities of each instructor. What review course have you taken & what are your assessments of that course ?

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Underoath wrote:

THANK YOU!

For me, the combination of the two has been the best so far. I would say if I had to pick one between self study and class I would just do self study. But the combination is really the best if you have the money or can convince your parents to pay for the class.

I work full time so the $ isn't the issue. I mean it's an issue because it isn't free AHAHAHA, but it isn't like I can't afford to invest in my future.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Underoath wrote:I don't know what TINTCR means

TITCR= This Is The Credited Response

TINTCR = This Is Not The Credited Response

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18478

Thank You

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 pm

I notice a couple of you have questions about the Powerscore prep course. I took the June course even though I knew I was not taking the June test. I took in in NYC with a very qualified instructor. Please PM me or respond here with specific questions about this course. It's much easier to give you a complete answer this way.

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Their are definite downsides even with the good instuctor. For example, go to their website and open up a chat. Ask the person, " how many students have finished all of the homework?" Their answer will be "none", I promise. This is the flaw. The way their schedule runs it is impossible to complete everything correctly. Main word, correctly. You are probably thinking, "no I will finish everything". Even if you have no job, the structure does not allow this. In a perfect world, their would be only one class a week and then an extra month at the end, so you can maximize ability on full 5 section test. My class was Mon/wed. It is not feasible to complete everthing even if you have the time. You simpily cannot absorb more.

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Underoath wrote:

THANK YOU!

People on this forum are anti prep. Not because they think that you need to be smart enough to go it alone. It's for the reason, I outlined above. If you want to be a high scorer, the two month prep course, which runs up to the test, makes this very hard. To put it simpily: You can not be learning methodology, 1 week before the test. You have to put your methods to test ,at this time. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but you would need to have unlimited time, and learn things ubber quickly. If you get caught up on any one concept, forget about it.

Player21

Postby Player21 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm

I have been studying the LOGIC GAMES BIBLE and the LG's are killing me! I can't believe how many I was getting wrong. I am on about page 115 and I have missed at least half of the original LSAT PT question in the book at the end of the Linear game chapter. I think I've correctly gotten only about 8 right out of around 20? It has really shaken my confidence. I was so confident and motivated at first but now I feel dejected because it feels like I am not catching on. :|

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:44 pm

I took Powerscore online. Like the previous poster said, its very hard to complete the homework (which is the key, paying 1k for a few hours of lectures isnt worth it) unless you have zero obligations and want to get burnt out quickly. Miss one day of homework and you're behind on the lectures, and it will be impossible to catch up.

I think the reason why people are anti prep is because they have realized what works. Yes, everyone is different, and a class might help someone get the score they need (however low it might be by TLS standards) - but I think we all know the ~600-1k+ spent on a class is nowhere near as cost effective as self study with PTs/Bibles. Yes, some people just dont get the LSAT, don't have the time, or whatever - a prep class would be good for them. But the vast majority of us all possess the skills to self study.

I would really like the 1k back I blew on Powerscore which was basically the LR/LG bibles regurgitated. Complete waste, as with very minimal self prep after my 157 Sep 09 my lsat PT score was 168. And thats after doing barely 5 PTs and reviewing them.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:01 pm

ecrew wrote:
Underoath wrote:

THANK YOU!

People on this forum are anti prep. Not because they think that you need to be smart enough to go it alone. It's for the reason, I outlined above. If you want to be a high scorer, the two month prep course, which runs up to the test, makes this very hard. To put it simpily: You can not be learning methodology, 1 week before the test. You have to put your methods to test ,at this time. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but you would need to have unlimited time, and learn things ubber quickly. If you get caught up on any one concept, forget about it.

I've been studying for the LSAT since March because I was supposed to take the test in June, but held off. When I realized I wasn't ready I sort of backed down on the studying.

So I am not starting this 2 months cold, but I understand what you are saying.

illmaticjones

Postby illmaticjones » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:43 am

I'm not sure why, but the grouping games seem so foreighn to me in comparison to the linear games when implementing the methods found in the LGB. I am working through that section right now and its giving me a hard time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what helped you work through the difficulty experienced?

ryanshep

Postby ryanshep » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 am

illmaticjones wrote:I'm not sure why, but the grouping games seem so foreighn to me in comparison to the linear games when implementing the methods found in the LGB. I am working through that section right now and its giving me a hard time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what helped you work through the difficulty experienced?

ditto.

Linear games seem to come naturally to me where as grouping just doesn't click. In for responses.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 am

Hey y'all! Quick question:

I sat for the June 2010 LSAT and it...did not go well. Questions weren't too bad and I had definitely studied beforehand, but panic set in during the bubble your information part (weird for me since I don't usually have test anxiety). Anyway, I canceled and signed up for October, and haven't touched my books since (it took two days for the shakes to go away after the test). My tutor tells me I overprepared and I need to take some time off before I start studying again. When do y'all think would be a good time to go back at it?

Thanks all!

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:Hey y'all! Quick question:

I sat for the June 2010 LSAT and it...did not go well. Questions weren't too bad and I had definitely studied beforehand, but panic set in during the bubble your information part (weird for me since I don't usually have test anxiety). Anyway, I canceled and signed up for October, and haven't touched my books since (it took two days for the shakes to go away after the test). My tutor tells me I overprepared and I need to take some time off before I start studying again. When do y'all think would be a good time to go back at it?

Thanks all!

how much new testing material do you have from your last prep? e.g. uncompleted PTs

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:32 am

ryanshep wrote:
illmaticjones wrote:I'm not sure why, but the grouping games seem so foreighn to me in comparison to the linear games when implementing the methods found in the LGB. I am working through that section right now and its giving me a hard time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what helped you work through the difficulty experienced?

ditto.

Linear games seem to come naturally to me where as grouping just doesn't click. In for responses.

Same here. When I started grouping games I was getting almost every question wrong and this was after I read that section of LGB. I read the explanations carefully and had a better grasp of double arrows and set ups, I did more games and eventually started getting better results. I even got -0s on a few of the grouping games listed as "most hardest logic games" on LSAT blog. I'm still definitely not scoring as high as I am on linear games, so any tips would benefit me as well.

brickman

Postby brickman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am

Just a general question, please offer any suggestions/comments...So I am thinking about analyzing logic reasoning questions, so long as then present an argument, on several grounds in order to get the most from each question as well as thoroughly understand the limitations and application of ideas tested generally throughout the section.

My plan is to analyze the structure of the argument, its weaknesses, its assumptions, what must be true based on the structure of the argument, the nature of the flaw in the argument (if present) and variations on how such a flaw could be corrected. Obviously this is a time consuming proposition, but I view it similarly to exploring the variations of a logic game and trying to thoroughly understand how each question ticks. I know I wont be covering as much ground, but I feel the ground that I will cover will be more thoroughly understood and ultimately (hopefully) more meaningful.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:

Thanks all!

how much new testing material do you have from your last prep? e.g. uncompleted PTs

Um not too much, I did a bunch before the test. I jumped around a lot on PTs (I was taking a lot of them on Saturdays with the rest of my class and the tutor selected them), so I don't know what numbers are left, but I know I have at least 10 more. I finished the first 10 and the next 10 series and did a few of the most recent ones. Plus I haven't done the LR Bible or RC Bible, but I did the Games Bible.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:

Thanks all!

Um not too much, I did a bunch before the test. I jumped around a lot on PTs (I was taking a lot of them on Saturdays with the rest of my class and the tutor selected them), so I don't know what numbers are left, but I know I have at least 10 more. I finished the first 10 and the next 10 series and did a few of the most recent ones. Plus I haven't done the LR Bible or RC Bible, but I did the Games Bible.

when i retook i only gave myself about 1 month of prep, the last 2 weeks being more intensive. i only went up 3 points, so maybe do more? time it out to where you won't run out of material too long before the test. like if you want to do 5 PT's a week and you have 20 left, maybe a month of intensive prepping would help. also skim over the LG/LR bibles of course and go over the things you got wrong on your prior practice tests

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

brickman wrote:Just a general question, please offer any suggestions/comments...So I am thinking about analyzing logic reasoning questions, so long as then present an argument, on several grounds in order to get the most from each question as well as thoroughly understand the limitations and application of ideas tested generally throughout the section.

My plan is to analyze the structure of the argument, its weaknesses, its assumptions, what must be true based on the structure of the argument, the nature of the flaw in the argument (if present) and variations on how such a flaw could be corrected. Obviously this is a time consuming proposition, but I view it similarly to exploring the variations of a logic game and trying to thoroughly understand how each question ticks. I know I wont be covering as much ground, but I feel the ground that I will cover will be more thoroughly understood and ultimately (hopefully) more meaningful.

VERY worthwhile.

You can do this with any argument where the evidence does not fully justify the conclusion (almost every single argument).

Basically, focus on the stimulus and ignore the question stem.

You can even modify the stimulus and turn it into a fact set by leaving the evidence as-is but negating the conclusion. Then ask yourself how it's possible for the evidence to be true but for the (former) conclusion to not be true, and you've got yourself a resolve the paradox/discrepancy question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”