October 2010 Test Prep

kk19131

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby kk19131 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 am

ecrew wrote:MY RESULTS on dry practice
I am not happy or upset about this score. I got killed in analytical reasoning. 16 wrong. It was the only section that I had to guess as time was winding down. I did not even get to the last game. My setup for the first two games was a joke. I was so burnt out by the last section, which was reading comp, that I even got almost half of them wrong. Wow, this was an eye opener.

For some, it's just fine not to get to the last game. In fact, for those who aren't GREAT at logic games, I actually believe they should put most (if not all) of their effort into the first three and guess on the last. But hey, that's just me... people on TLS shall disagree, I'm sure.

faexylona

Postby faexylona » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:05 pm

I just started my LSAT preparation this Monday with the powerscore prep class. Before that, I started gathering information to create a strategy of my own. The strategy was how to study on my own. I have to admit after my first lesson this Monday I feel insecure about my skills. I am slow in logical reasoning and during class I got only one answer right out of five examples. In some of the questions from my prep book I got three or four questions right out of ten. I am scared to start my homework. I have reread the chapter and gone back to my class lecture (it is recorded) to review everything. Is my insecurity and lack of skill common?

I know I will not give up. Lucky for me (to some extend) October is not here yet. :?

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

TLS Citizens of this thread,
We'd like to let you know of a new service for TLS Singles: ParaRocket Matchmaking. By clicking the link below, we encourage you to join countless other singles in TLS by letting our system match you with your soulmate. Please take a moment to check out our process, and let me know if you have any questions.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120730

kineticx

Postby kineticx » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm

faexylona wrote:I just started my LSAT preparation this Monday with the powerscore prep class. Before that, I started gathering information to create a strategy of my own. The strategy was how to study on my own. I have to admit after my first lesson this Monday I feel insecure about my skills. I am slow in logical reasoning and during class I got only one answer right out of five examples. In some of the questions from my prep book I got three or four questions right out of ten. I am scared to start my homework. I have reread the chapter and gone back to my class lecture (it is recorded) to review everything. Is my insecurity and lack of skill common?

I know I will not give up. Lucky for me (to some extend) October is not here yet. :?

Is it a particular type that is giving you problems? I imagine insecurity is a problem for most test takers, though probably not evident on TLS. However, it's important to stay positive. You have 3 months left, and you're taking a class... you're taking more initiative than other test takers.

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 am

kineticx wrote: it's important to stay positive. You have 3 months left, and you're taking a class... you're taking more initiative than other test takers.

Can't agree with this more. Staying positive is the key to studying and taking the test. The test makers want you to get frustrated. If you are upset that you can't figure out a LR question, and you take that frustration into the next question, it's more likely that you'll get the next question wrong, too. If you don't know an answer, circle it in the test book and move on. Come back to it if you have time, and if not, just guess. The LSAT is a forgiving test.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 am

Just took my first PT, started studying since May 10th until now for the Oct. test.

PT 55 Oct. 2008- 156
LR-10
RC-10
LR-7
LG-3

Im pissed. I know I should be higher, and I need to be higher. :evil:

Goal is 170+

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Walking on air this morning.

Diagnostic #1 April 18th 2010: 149

*INSERT POWERSCORE BIBLES*

Diagnostic #2 June 17th 2010: 159 (and that's after totally bombing the RC, which is rare for me)

I'm so motivated by this.

It's not the score I *want*, but it has proven to me that I can do better than what I've done, AND this is only my second practice test for this October preparation period. I can only imagine how many more points I can improve with the 30 or so practice tests I have left to go!

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:30 pm

DonnyMost, that's a great improvement, congratulations. I imagine after some point we all will experience some diminishing returns in our progress. I think it will take more effort to see the same level of improvement. Good work though, your scores definitely build my confidence.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 pm

unattended bag wrote:DonnyMost, that's a great improvement, congratulations. I imagine after some point we all will experience some diminishing returns in our progress. I think it will take more effort to see the same level of improvement. Good work though, your scores definitely build my confidence.

No doubt my progress will slow down over time. Like I said in my original post in this thread, If I crack 165, I will be ecstatic. So to be this close only 2 tests into my prep is a VERY good sign. If I start pushing 170 I will most likely die of an excitement overdose before test day. 3 months to go, things are looking very promising!

kineticx

Postby kineticx » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Dripworx wrote:Just took my first PT, started studying since May 10th until now for the Oct. test.

PT 55 Oct. 2008- 156
LR-10
RC-10
LR-7
LG-3

Goal is 170+

Have you taken a cold diagnostic exam? How does that compare to this test?
Also, a -3 in LG is good! Has your focus for studying been on LG? That could explain the disparity between the three sections.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:21 pm

kineticx wrote:
Dripworx wrote:Just took my first PT, started studying since May 10th until now for the Oct. test.

PT 55 Oct. 2008- 156
LR-10
RC-10
LR-7
LG-3

Goal is 170+

Have you taken a cold diagnostic exam? How does that compare to this test?
Also, a -3 in LG is good! Has your focus for studying been on LG? That could explain the disparity between the three sections.

My cold diagnostic was 140, sorry that does show a significant improvement I know. My problem is primarily logical reasoning and reading comp (btw, this was the test that had the evil Chinese talk-story passage, but I only missed one on that passage) I didnt make it to the last passage, and two LR questions on both sections, AND the last game... so granted timing is an issue as well.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I guess I should introduce myself since I'll probably start studying here fairly soon. I took the LSAT in December for the first time and applied to several schools in January. I got a 167 and I have a 3.85 gpa. Anyways, I ended up applying several places, but I decided to sit it out a year and retake since I think I can score higher and applying in January seemed to hurt me a little. I got some good offers (In at Texas, USC, and WashU. WL at Duke, GULC, UVA, and Penn. Rejected at Berkeley and Columbia) but I think a few more points will make a big difference for me. Shooting for 170+.

acadec

Postby acadec » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Alright, I have a question. I got a 178 cold diagnostic and have since scored between 177 and 180 on the five PTs I've taken. Do you think the bibles would be a good investment of my time to solidify my score and push it to the highest it could be? Or would you recommend just taking as many PTs as possible between now and October?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:40 pm

acadec wrote:Alright, I have a question. I got a 178 cold diagnostic and have since scored between 177 and 180 on the five PTs I've taken. Do you think the bibles would be a good investment of my time to solidify my score and push it to the highest it could be? Or would you recommend just taking as many PTs as possible between now and October?

bibles would be of no value to you. also it might confuse you with its own techniques. i would just take PTs and review thoroughly. congrats on a great diagnostic.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 am

Just took my first timed test and got a 166 - Not cold, read the bibles.

Think it can be pushed up to the mid 70s by Oct?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:38 am

rman1201 wrote:Just took my first timed test and got a 166 - Not cold, read the bibles.

Think it can be pushed up to the mid 70s by Oct?

If it can't you suck.

surfermikedude

Postby surfermikedude » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:52 pm

When you say you took your first diagnostic, what test are you referring to? I also scored in the high 160s but I took Superprep A and am wondering how accurate this score is as compared with recent test...

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:55 pm

surfermikedude wrote:When you say you took your first diagnostic, what test are you referring to? I also scored in the high 160s but I took Superprep A and am wondering how accurate this score is as compared with recent test...

I took a 2002 PT

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm

rman1201 wrote:
surfermikedude wrote:When you say you took your first diagnostic, what test are you referring to? I also scored in the high 160s but I took Superprep A and am wondering how accurate this score is as compared with recent test...

I took a 2002 PT

My scores have been fluctuating a bit due to the fact that I have difficulty with a couple question types in the LR section. That said, I know what my average score is of a few PTs. I would recommend taking maybe two more PTs from 2004 or after and see what your average score is. This will help you know if you got lucky on that PT (for instance it didn't have an LG game type that you have difficulty with, or a lot of LR questions of a type you have difficulty with, etc.). I know that my average right now is in the 160s, but I also have a high standard deviation (it's shrinking slowly but surely).

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Took my 3rd pre-test.

Got the same score I did last time.

Wasn't expecting improvement, just proving to myself that my 2nd score wasn't a fluke was good enough.

I killed the LR this time around, did my normal on RC, but got slaughtered in LG where I got down to the final 2 games and unfortunately picked the harder game to try and complete.

I've got to speed up my RC and start picking my LG battles more wisely, those are my two biggest weaknesses right now.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 pm

How do you all recommend making use of the "next 10 LSAT" series - especially the earlier PTs? Do you take those as normal PTs or do you use those for individual section and question practice? I've just started the LRB after completing LGB and i'm wondering how to utilize those early PTs so I don't waste them.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Well, I'm officially in for the October LSAT

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:44 pm

kk19131 wrote:
ecrew wrote:MY RESULTS on dry practice
I am not happy or upset about this score. I got killed in analytical reasoning. 16 wrong. It was the only section that I had to guess as time was winding down. I did not even get to the last game. My setup for the first two games was a joke. I was so burnt out by the last section, which was reading comp, that I even got almost half of them wrong. Wow, this was an eye opener.

For some, it's just fine not to get to the last game. In fact, for those who aren't GREAT at logic games, I actually believe they should put most (if not all) of their effort into the first three and guess on the last. But hey, that's just me... people on TLS shall disagree, I'm sure.

I disagree. TINTCR. This might be decent advice on the RC, and I stress decent. Anyone can get a -0 on LG though. It is by far the most learnable section on the LSAT. Unless you've been at it for 3+ months and have done 50+ LG sections, then you are settling for a lower score than you are capable of. I may be a bit biased as I find LGs fairly easy, but everyone on TLS stresses the importance of mastering the LG section and I think this is extremely bad advice to be giving to people in an October prep thread.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 pm

LG is worth mastering, and it is the most perfectible section - one should do dozens of sections worth of LG for practice.

Also, even if someone were to do only 3 LGs in a section, the last LG is not necessarily the one to skip. The 4th isn't always the toughest. There have been plenty of cases where the toughest game was the 2nd or 3rd.

Oh - and I would recommend splitting up earlier tests (such as the books of 10) for individual question-type practice.
Last edited by LSAT Blog on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 am

TMT90 wrote:How do you all recommend making use of the "next 10 LSAT" series - especially the earlier PTs? Do you take those as normal PTs or do you use those for individual section and question practice? I've just started the LRB after completing LGB and i'm wondering how to utilize those early PTs so I don't waste them.

I had this same question and got some great advice from somebody else on this forum. Their strategy was to take a few practice tests from the first series, and then re-use the sections that they had the most trouble with as experimental sections for future tests. I think it's a great way to get extra practice and save some money.

Another strategy could be to break up the first set of 10 tests into individual sections. You could even go as far as to split the sections up into individual question types. But it's really whatever works best for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”