October 2010 Test Prep

Chris_cpb

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:52 pm

3|ink wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:Ok I have my wooden pencils, pencil sharpener, wrist watch, and LSAC printoff/ticket which I've read in full. Now I just need to get my ziploc bag ready and try to have a question answered: is it against the rules to manipulate your wristwatch so that the long hand on the watch starts at "12" before a section? I didn't see that on the printoff.

No.

Thanks for quick response. Also, is there going to be sufficient time in between each section for me to reset and pause my watch so that the long hand and 'second' hand can both start at "12"?

I've heard that you shouldn't expect more than 30 seconds. I guess it depends on how fast you are.

Ok. I just hope this watch I bought is more accurate than it is stylish :lol:

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Chris_cpb wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:Ok I have my wooden pencils, pencil sharpener, wrist watch, and LSAC printoff/ticket which I've read in full. Now I just need to get my ziploc bag ready and try to have a question answered: is it against the rules to manipulate your wristwatch so that the long hand on the watch starts at "12" before a section? I didn't see that on the printoff.

No.

Thanks for quick response. Also, is there going to be sufficient time in between each section for me to reset and pause my watch so that the long hand and 'second' hand can both start at "12"?

Yes. It's about 15-20 seconds between the sections. Enough time to sharpen a pencil and breathe, or re-set your watch and breathe...but not both lol.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
3|ink wrote:

No.

Yes. It's about 15-20 seconds between the sections. Enough time to sharpen a pencil and breathe, or re-set your watch and breathe...but not both lol.

So, maybe enough time to sharpen your pencil and re-set your watch, if you don't breathe? There's a strategy to try.

NYC1010

Postby NYC1010 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

this whole no cell phone thing sucks... understand it, but they should let you hand it over at beginning and retrieve at end of something... :(

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

NYC1010 wrote:this whole no cell phone thing sucks... understand it, but they should let you hand it over at beginning and retrieve at end of something... :(
Yeah..being all alone in a strange place is gonna be bad enough, but no phone is gonna suck more. My phone is really comforting when I'm in an uncomfortable situation :(

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Resetting the watch! What an brilliant yet obvious idea! I was having a little trouble keeping track of the time with my wristwatch and was a little annoyed I wouldn't have the precision of a digital watch.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I was seriously considering just buying 5 $7 watches on Amazon and getting it over with.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 pm

3|ink wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
3|ink wrote:

No.

I've heard that you shouldn't expect more than 30 seconds. I guess it depends on how fast you are.

Yah 30s may even be a bit liberal. It is rather quick in between sessions or at least that was my experience.

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

At the Kaplan practice test there was *maybe* 10-15 seconds. It was pretty much "Pencils down... Short pause... The next section is now beginning, please turn the page, you may begin"

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Question:

Are we allowed to chew gum during the test?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Can someone clarify for me whether we can or can't bring a cell phone and leave it outside the testing room?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:06 pm

dhrizek wrote:Can someone clarify for me whether we can or can't bring a cell phone and leave it outside the testing room?
You can't. There is always a possibility that you will have nice proctors who will collect them or something but you could also have proctors who kick you out for having them. Don't risk it.

If you have a car leave it in the car.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
dhrizek wrote:Can someone clarify for me whether we can or can't bring a cell phone and leave it outside the testing room?
You can't. There is always a possibility that you will have nice proctors who will collect them or something but you could also have proctors who kick you out for having them. Don't risk it.

Thats the problem, I don't have a car, so I need to call for a ride, or at least look up bus times on google.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:20 pm

JJDancer wrote:PT 58 - LR 1 - #24 - BEARS
I can't believe I am posting about THE bear question the day before the LSAT buuut..

Can someone explain why D is incorrect?
Doesn't D imply that pop in preserve nearly doubled but that doesn't mean pop of VALLEY increased because pop outside preserve decreased...meaning they migrated to the preserve.

Or would this NOT weaken because that still says the valley overall could increase (just that it was happening in the preserve area while the nonpreserve area decreased but valleyTOTAL increased?)

I don't have the test in front of me, but when I did this problem, I knew that because it comes after question 15, you really have to look closely at the wording. I believe the evidence is all talking about bears increasing in ONE PART of the valley and the conclusion is about bears increasing in the ENTIRE VALLEY.

if D is true -- i.e. that bears didn't increase in the entire valley, it suggests that they just migrated to this one part so keeping the bridge open won't increase the bears in the entire valley, it'd just place more in this one part of the valley.

don't know if you're still up, but on s/w for a harder one, unless something is obviously outside what we're yapping about, think each choice through, and the consequences of it being true.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

dhrizek wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

Thats the problem, I don't have a car, so I need to call for a ride, or at least look up bus times on google.
Do you know anyone taking the test at the same center as you? Or else when its over just ask the person next you or someone around you to use their phone. (or just go sit at the bus stop till the bus comes?)

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:27 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
dhrizek wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

Do you know anyone taking the test at the same center as you? Or else when its over just ask the person next you or someone around you to use their phone. (or just go sit at the bus stop till the bus comes?)

Or use a public phone?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:31 pm

i am sure someone will be at the hotel/university, and let you use their phone. if not, you can probably approach somebody and ask them.

as per leaving the phone in the car, hypothetically, a smart street gang would scope out LSAT test centers and jack like 500 blackberries and i-phones in an hour.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

So, just to check, we can't even bring our cellphone with us and hand it to the proctor? I don't like being alone in strange places! (Hopefully I'll run into someone from my college -- I should remember to wear my college sweatshirt to increase chances to that happening).

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:38 pm

don't think about it. you can always go to a store, and explain ur situation. the world is a nice place. don't worry about it.

but don't bring ur phone in the test center. that's a really dumb move.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm itching to do practice questions right now :@

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm

do we sign the LSAT admission ticket before we get to the testing area tomorrow??

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm

I signed it and dated it for tomorrow.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone on the test! NO WORRIES. It's just another PT.

Miranda 18

Postby Miranda 18 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:21 pm

I did a couple of drills but I think I am going to give it a rest for the rest of the night....best of luck to all of you! Looks like a lot of people have been PTing consistently so lets all hope we get the scores we would like!

GOOD LUCK!!!!! :mrgreen:

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 pm

applepiecrust wrote:So, just to check, we can't even bring our cellphone with us and hand it to the proctor? I don't like being alone in strange places! (Hopefully I'll run into someone from my college -- I should remember to wear my college sweatshirt to increase chances to that happening).

The rule is that you can't bring it in with you. Handing it to a proctor is not an option, though testing conditions do vary and some proctors are more flexible than others. I took the LSAT in June and I saw test takers walking out of the test center with phones. Nobody was ever searched. I wouldn't take that risk, though.

Good luck to everyone!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:26 pm

stargazin wrote:I signed it and dated it for tomorrow.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone on the test! NO WORRIES. It's just another PT.
Lasers wrote:do we sign the LSAT admission ticket before we get to the testing area tomorrow??

I was just stopping by to check the confidence thread, lol, but also checked this.

I don't know if your LSAT ticket is different than mine (I'm testing in Canada) - but mine clearly reads: "Do not sign this ticket prior to the test. You will be asked to sign your ticket during the check-in process on the day of the test." In bold. Underneath the signature/print name thing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”