October 2010 Test Prep

northwood

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:30 pm

this may sound like a no duh comment, but make sure NOT to do a RC section when you're tired. Just did RC from prepper 38, and scored a -11 ... I knew I should not have done it- as my eyes are extrememly heavy, but I wanted to stay in the groove, and i did 3 random games at -0 to warm up, and chuck norrised LR 1 from pt 28...(-3 ) should have trusted my instinct and called it a day.. ( heres to hoping my first section is not rc)

wwell the moral of the story... stay rested my friends.... then after the test stay thirsty my friends

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Done prepping except for some drills at breakfast on test day. It's been a long journey. I'm going to have a drink or two.

jfb

Postby jfb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

PT 60 - 170

Second 170 in a row. Really hoping for a 167-170, so if all goes well I think I can get there.

Not super pleased with LG, but happy with a -1 on RC. After a -10 on pt 59, I am encouraged to see I can still do well on the more recent RC sections.

Will be redoing some older games tonight and maybe drilling a couple of sections tomorrow before relaxing and watching an inspiring movie that will make me really smart.

Gonna try (in vain) not to browse tls too much from now until saturday - tls makes me think too much. I don't think most of you need it, but good luck on sat.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Am I the only one who has scored my highest on PTs after an extensive break (a month or so) from even thinking about the LSAT?

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Am I the only here doing a fair amount of practice tomorrow? Taking the day off of work and doing one games section in the morning, a logical reasoning in the early afternoon, and a critical reading in the early evening (at least that's the plan...).

Interspersed throughout the day I'm going to alternate between watching TV to relax and going over the LR/LG Bibles and Preptests so I have as many questions fresh in my mind going into Saturday.

Don't know how good of an idea that is, but I would just feel weird waking up and doing pretty much nothing tomorrow.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Im doing a games section tomorrow just for the hell of it. Just finished PT 60. I think someone commented earlier on not doing RC when tired. I now know why. OMG. The test was relatively easy until my mind shut down after 4 hours of sleep, 2 midterms and well...3 previous sections of logic. RC ended up being -8. Total score was a 167. Sort of a missed opportunity for confidence here. Im glad I hit my average under such dire situations, but with -4 being my test average, I couldn't help but feel sad that I was THAT close to 170. Oh well. My LR has improved drastically in the last two weeks. I dont know how or why, but its happened. :)

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 pm

im not sure what I should do tomorrow. I have to work 8-5, then im off work until monday. Im feeling confident with lg, and for the most part LR, but RC im still not feeling too hot ( especially after doing a timed RC section tonight and getting a -11 ! ) should i do a timed RC section, just do some passages, or take the day off if im tired ( im not sure how I will be feeling after work) I ve done the majority of my prep after working all day, so in one sense im used to it, but again Im not sure if doing so will just make me mentally fatigued... during this week I have been doing the best ever, and while I want to continue this trend, I dont want to over do it...
I was thinking about looking over the end of the sections for the LRB and do a game or 3, and maybe do a passage or 2 ( the equilivent of half a section ) in RC? your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated

good luck to us all.... we wont need it, except to help us contain our victory cheers after the writing section of the test

Pitcher

Postby Pitcher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:27 pm

I will not want to think about the test at all tomorrow, but I am sure that would be impossible. As for studying tomorrow no way. So if anyone is interested in Prep Test 45 thru 60 in poor condition and a bunch of pencils with the erasers chewed off PM me. Good Luck to everyone on Saturday morning and I look forward to hearing everyone’s impression of the exam on Saturday evening.
God Speed to all!

Postby 2014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:35 pm

r2b2ct wrote:Bah, I envy your dilemma. I took 54 at the library today. I bombed it for a 167. -4 on RC and -3 on each other section, even LG (accidentally didn't read one of the rules on the last game). This is my lowest score in about a month. I felt really confident the whole time and finished each section with tons of time left over. Whats worse is that when reviewing the missed LRs and some RCs it actually took quite a while to understand why the correct response was right...

In your case I honestly think it would be far too risky to try the new method on game day unless you test it more.

Same I scored my diagnostic after a month of solid 170+'s.
What are you going to do for the next 36 hours?

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Totally panicked today during LG of pt 60. I just pictured myself running into the same kind of conditional sequence game on Saturday and totally lost my focus, cool, just everything. I ended up missing 13. 13! my average on LG is 0-3, so that really sucked. I found my calm, redid the section (before going over it at all) and got 2 wrong. But still, now Im just nervous about freezing up. I literally just sat there for 30 seconds staring at my watch thinking how much it would suck if this happened on the real thing.

Postby 2014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 pm

sayruss11 wrote:Totally panicked today during LG of pt 60. I just pictured myself running into the same kind of conditional sequence game on Saturday and totally lost my focus, cool, just everything. I ended up missing 13. 13! my average on LG is 0-3, so that really sucked. I found my calm, redid the section (before going over it at all) and got 2 wrong. But still, now Im just nervous about freezing up. I literally just sat there for 30 seconds staring at my watch thinking how much it would suck if this happened on the real thing.

I'm a bit worried about that too, but adrenaline should help keep us focused and trucking along on the real deal.

If that situation does happen, at least in my case I would have no logical choice but to cancel.

jfb

Postby jfb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 pm

2014 wrote:
sayruss11 wrote:Totally panicked today during LG of pt 60. I just pictured myself running into the same kind of conditional sequence game on Saturday and totally lost my focus, cool, just everything. I ended up missing 13. 13! my average on LG is 0-3, so that really sucked. I found my calm, redid the section (before going over it at all) and got 2 wrong. But still, now Im just nervous about freezing up. I literally just sat there for 30 seconds staring at my watch thinking how much it would suck if this happened on the real thing.

I'm a bit worried about that too, but adrenaline should help keep us focused and trucking along on the real deal.

If that situation does happen, at least in my case I would have no logical choice but to cancel.

My worst fear on test day. Had a very similar freeze up on LG on pt 59. I just keep telling myself that I've done everything I can to be prepared for whatever LSAC throws at us, and like 2014 said, hopefully a little adrenaline rush will help us push through any challenges.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:19 pm

happened to me on my PT 60. By the time 35 min was up, I had just finished setting up rules for game 4, so I would have had to randomly choose on every single question on that game. I was so frustrated I felt like punching the wall.

Later on that night, I printed out just the LG section and timed myself again, I somehow finished the entire section with 5 minutes to spare. I think it just depends on your state of mind. Most importantly it's good to stay calm and not get frustrated/panicked, but that's of course easier said than done

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 pm

My best advice would be that if you do freeze up on a game, do not get bogged down on it and carry on to the next one. You may encounter an easier game or a game that is more to your liking. This could calm your nerves an potentially open up the ol' brain for the game that froze you up.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Albatross wrote:Am I the only one who has scored my highest on PTs after an extensive break (a month or so) from even thinking about the LSAT?

This is actually a trend that I've seen mentioned on this forum a couple other times. No one has attempted to explain why that would be the case though that I know of. Maybe some things that get stored in your long term memory become easier for you to access after they have been there for a little while.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Today I did PT 39 in sections... 95 raw, 176 scaled. Lost my cool on RC, I did it on the bus, though, and really quickly, so eh. -1 on both LR sections, -0 on LG. HAPPY with the LR getting better and not so much overthinking it. I really corrected myself there, so, that's great.

I did another RC from 37 or something - ended up with a -0 on that. SO. It's all good.

Tomorrow I am going to do 3 sections in the morning: My very last "fresh" games section ever (from PT 41) before I've done EVERY SINGLE LOGIC GAME available, a lot of them twice haha, the last "newish" RC I have let (from PT #44) and a newish LR (#44 again). Then I'm going to put the LSAT stuff away, put on some music, dance, read Harry Potter, watch a movie, walk my dog and NOT THINK ABOUT THE LSAT.

I guess I should prepare my Ziploc first. BUT. After that.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:55 pm

I want to wish everyone good luck! Im not going to come on TLS at all tomorrow because I want to avoid the panic threads. Im rooting for everyone. We're all going to do amazing!

Good luck again! See you all on Saturday afternoon. Post LSAT TLS is always super fun! :mrgreen:

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:05 am

I'm going to try to go from October 9th until results day without coming on here. I know I'm going to drive myself crazy with "Well Poster X had A for 19, but Poster X had B so I'm safe... but wait did I have B or E on that one???" so I'll just wait for my score.

That is unless there is a killer passage or game and I think I completely blew a section, then I'll come on here before I confirm a score cancellation. Crossing my fingers that won't happen though heh

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:07 am

2014 wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:Bah, I envy your dilemma. I took 54 at the library today. I bombed it for a 167. -4 on RC and -3 on each other section, even LG (accidentally didn't read one of the rules on the last game). This is my lowest score in about a month. I felt really confident the whole time and finished each section with tons of time left over. Whats worse is that when reviewing the missed LRs and some RCs it actually took quite a while to understand why the correct response was right...

In your case I honestly think it would be far too risky to try the new method on game day unless you test it more.

Same I scored my diagnostic after a month of solid 170+'s.
What are you going to do for the next 36 hours?

I still have 3 tests completely untouched, so I'm going to do at least a couple in hopes that I can end on a relatively positive note for confidence. I might dissect one or two instead of doing them full. My 167 on 54 was a harsh but necessary realization that 170+ is not a given, I have to earn it.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 am

I'm pretty sure I won't make it until results are released before coming back here, but I'm definitely checking out until after the test. Best of luck to everyone! Let's kick PT 61's ass.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:16 am

Well, if the -3 on Games was from missing a rule, you know you won't make that mistake on the real thing. (On most curves, that's 170 right there...)

Tomorrow is my day semi-off, so I'm going to do probably 3 LG sections, hoping to do them in about 50 minutes or less.

I started out bubbling in pen and only switched over 2 weeks ago, so in the case of pencil mishaps, I plan on using the extra time to tidy up my bubbling on my answer sheet if it's needed.

Of course, now that I've said this out loud, LG will be my first section, and my experimental will end up being RC...

I'll probably be back solely to post results of that blitz, but otherwise off until Saturday afternoon. I'd better get -0 or I will kick a puppy...I really want 175+ and that ain't happening without a -0 LG.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:36 am

tomorrow is relax day for me.

i think i'll do a RC section maybe since i've been really falling behind there for some reason. that's about it.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:40 am

Ended today with LR and LG on a high note so not going to touch that again. My RC is still struggling a bit but at this point there's not much I can do. Contemplating doing an RC section or two tomorrow, will see how badly the food coma hits me first.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 am

Speaking of RC, how long do you guys typically take to do your initial read of a passage? RC has been my weakest section and I wonder if it's because I spend too much time focusing on the initial read, detracting from the time I have to refer to specific parts of the passage on some questions.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 am

Fail.

4 LGs, 80 minutes, and I make a bonehead mistake on 55's.

LG 55: -1 (booo)
LG 56: -0
LG 53: -0
LG 37: -0

Reeeeeally need that -0.
Oh well, this is my first LG miss in about 14 sections, so still not too worried.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”