October 2010 Test Prep

catsparka

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby catsparka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Norlan wrote:
Norlan wrote:on the real test, are you given only with 2-3 inches of space right under the questions to draw diagrams fro LG? is it 2-3 inches of space per game?

so basically you can write on the question book during the real test, including eliminating letter choices? i seem to have developed a habit of eliminating A ~ E in order to help myself to focus better

Yes.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:05 pm

incompetentia wrote:
catsparka wrote:
What's the pitfall-question method? I'm curious!

I'd noticed that most of the LR questions that I spent more than 60-80 seconds agonizing over I was getting correct, and that most of my incorrect answers were on questions where I did have to get down and eliminate answer choices, but where I usually went with an answer choice that looked right after too long. (I could usually spot the correct answer after realizing my original choice was wrong or being told so.)
I also had 3-4 minutes left on average at the end of each LR section where it seemed like going over the agonizing questions was having no positive effect anymore

I marked these possibly-dangerous questions at least for the first test section that I took today - I think I marked 4, and went back to them after I finished the section (~3:10 remaining once I finished 25). Three looked like I made the right decision; however, I did change one to a different answer choice (and felt very confident about doing it after seeing the problem again). This one happened to be a wrong answer that I saved.

I did miss two others that fit my characterization, but I did save myself one point, which does make a difference.

For me, this would require more testing to see if this would help, and it has several requirements in terms of how fast you already finish and which questions you currently get wrong for implementation, but it could work for some people.

I might try it out! Thanks! :D

Norlan

Postby Norlan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm

lparker wrote:
Norlan wrote:so basically you can write on the question book during the real test, including eliminating letter choices?

Yes, you can write in the question book. You won't be given any scratch paper except for the writing section.

okiedokie thanks

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm

catsparka wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:
Norlan wrote:on the real test, are you given only with 2-3 inches of space right under the questions to draw diagrams fro LG? is it 2-3 inches of space per game?

??? I believe it's exactly as it is on the PTs.
Usually you have a bunch of space, every once in a while you get screwed.

This has been happening more frequently recently. Especially on the last game, where they give you an ENTIRE PAGE OF TEXT.

57 (June 09) was the last time a game had almost no space. Since then they've all had a decent amount of space on the bottom.

aleighp

Postby aleighp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 pm

I've been preparing for this test for months - got my best practice score ever on Sunday and was feeling on top of the world. I also got engaged over the weekend, so I was pretty much on a high for a few days and was feeling super confident about this test. Yesterday afternoon I got a call that my dad died suddenly, yesterday also happened to be my birthday. I'm taking the test on Saturday, and flying out the next day to go clean out my dad's apartment/deal with closing accounts/funeral arrangements for the next week. I HAVE to take this test on Saturday, and somehow have to relax and focus. My dad was behind me 100%, and I know he would want me to rock this test.

I guess, no matter how much you prepare and how ready you think you are, life happens - just gotta chug along and make the best of it!! If you're feeling stressed don't give up, you can do this!! :)

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 pm

aleighp wrote:I've been preparing for this test for months - got my best practice score ever on Sunday and was feeling on top of the world. I also got engaged over the weekend, so I was pretty much on a high for a few days and was feeling super confident about this test. Yesterday afternoon I got a call that my dad died suddenly, yesterday also happened to be my birthday. I'm taking the test on Saturday, and flying out the next day to go clean out my dad's apartment/deal with closing accounts/funeral arrangements for the next week. I HAVE to take this test on Saturday, and somehow have to relax and focus. My dad was behind me 100%, and I know he would want me to rock this test.

I guess, no matter how much you prepare and how ready you think you are, life happens - just gotta chug along and make the best of it!! If you're feeling stressed don't give up, you can do this!! :)

Sorry to hear of your loss. This definitely puts feeling sick and having a low PT score or two going into this test into perspective. Good luck to you on Saturday.

lparker

Postby lparker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 pm

aleighp wrote:I've been preparing for this test for months - got my best practice score ever on Sunday and was feeling on top of the world. I also got engaged over the weekend, so I was pretty much on a high for a few days and was feeling super confident about this test. Yesterday afternoon I got a call that my dad died suddenly, yesterday also happened to be my birthday. I'm taking the test on Saturday, and flying out the next day to go clean out my dad's apartment/deal with closing accounts/funeral arrangements for the next week. I HAVE to take this test on Saturday, and somehow have to relax and focus. My dad was behind me 100%, and I know he would want me to rock this test.

Wow, I am really sorry to hear that. Best of luck on Saturday!

Norlan

Postby Norlan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:30 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
catsparka wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:

??? I believe it's exactly as it is on the PTs.

This has been happening more frequently recently. Especially on the last game, where they give you an ENTIRE PAGE OF TEXT.

57 (June 09) was the last time a game had almost no space. Since then they've all had a decent amount of space on the bottom.

i printed out 57 in a hard copy from pdf, it has almost 4 inches of space for LG from #6 to 11, i didn't resize anything, straight to printout from pdf

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Norlan wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
catsparka wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:??? I believe it's exactly as it is on the PTs.

i printed out 57 in a hard copy from pdf, it has almost 4 inches of space for LG from #6 to 11, i didn't resize anything, straight to printout from pdf

I'm referring to the 4th game of 57 :)

Norlan

Postby Norlan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
I'm referring to the 4th game of 57 :)

oh yea, #18-23, no space at all :(

Norlan wrote:i printed out 57 in a hard copy from pdf, it has almost 4 inches of space for LG from #6 to 11, i didn't resize anything, straight to printout from pdf

actually 4-in space is very little for all 6 questions :/
Last edited by Norlan on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Just took my last PT ever (well unless i take again in December but i do nottt want to do that)

PT 60

LR -1
LG -8 Mulch was so easy, last game I was a retard and didnt realize the structure and was left helpless, had to guess on 19-23 :( other silly mistakes.
LR -4
RC -5

81/165 All in all a good way to end my preptests. I think my LG was unusually high, as well as looking back some silly mistakes and RC timing issues again. As long as I dont bomb saturday LG like I did today I think i have a shot at 170... we will see.

mauer7

Postby mauer7 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Drove to test sight today even though it's only a few miles from where I grew up and across the street from where I played little league, wanted to check out the building though, nothing like knowing what you're going into.

Just finished PT 59 and am happy with a 167. I've been pretty quiet on these boards, but I've been keeping an eye on them, you are all very motivating, it's nice to know people are going through the same thing. Wanted to wish you all the best of luck! Especially the person who's father passed, you are getting even more positive energy sent your way, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Everyone make sure to take some time off tonight to watch the Twins beat the Yankees!

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Bwahahaha, I'm peaking at just the right time.... I did #60 this morning and scored -2, for a 180. That is following a 179 on #59.

I missed 1 in the first LR and 1 in LG, on the 2nd game.... aced mulch & stone, and interns.

PT61, watch out! I am coming for you.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:22 pm

The University of Dayton School of Law wishes you "Good Luck" on the October LSAT. We know studying for and taking the LSAT may be stressful-we want to alleviate some of the stress by offering you a Dayton Law application fee waiver. It is hassle free and saves you $50. So when you are thinking about law school and ready to apply - think University of Dayton School of Law. A fee waiver will be in your LSAC shopping cart waiting for you.

So nice of Dayton... I definitely feel less stressed about the LSAT now that I know I have a waiver waiting for me.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Cromartie wrote:The University of Dayton School of Law wishes you "Good Luck" on the October LSAT. We know studying for and taking the LSAT may be stressful-we want to alleviate some of the stress by offering you a Dayton Law application fee waiver. It is hassle free and saves you $50. So when you are thinking about law school and ready to apply - think University of Dayton School of Law. A fee waiver will be in your LSAC shopping cart waiting for you.

So nice of Dayton... I definitely feel less stressed about the LSAT now that I know I have a waiver waiting for me.

Oh man. Ive been getting those emails. I got a flier from Cooley on Saturday. I burned it. I seriously took a small torch and burned it. It took forever to burn. The Cooley flier didnt want to go without a fight...

jfb

Postby jfb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:38 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Cromartie wrote:The University of Dayton School of Law wishes you "Good Luck" on the October LSAT. We know studying for and taking the LSAT may be stressful-we want to alleviate some of the stress by offering you a Dayton Law application fee waiver. It is hassle free and saves you $50. So when you are thinking about law school and ready to apply - think University of Dayton School of Law. A fee waiver will be in your LSAC shopping cart waiting for you.

Oh man. Ive been getting those emails. I got a flier from Cooley on Saturday. I burned it. I seriously took a small torch and burned it. It took forever to burn. The Cooley flier didnt want to go without a fight...

haha, if have a mental image of cooley flyers popping up everywhere you go now. You get home and there's one sitting on your pillow, you open a prep test and there's a cooley flyer resting inside, and everytime the psycho music plays in the background

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Been trying to rebound from my -9 game section last night (pt 60). Before that, my worst games section ever was a -5, and my average is -1. For some reason, I just can't figure out games as quickly anymore. Did 2 games sections today (47 & 48 respectively). Scored a -1 and -3 respectively. For some reason, I can't seem to figure out those games where they give you enough information to deduce all of the possibilities. I've never had this much trouble with these game types before. Here's hoping it's a passing phase.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Wow my condolences to you and your family. Best of luck on Saturday, I'm sure your dad will be watching over you and he'll be proud no matter how you do!

Sandro777 wrote:Just took my last PT ever (well unless i take again in December but i do nottt want to do that)

PT 60

LR -1
LG -8 Mulch was so easy, last game I was a retard and didnt realize the structure and was left helpless, had to guess on 19-23 :( other silly mistakes.
LR -4
RC -5

81/165 All in all a good way to end my preptests. I think my LG was unusually high, as well as looking back some silly mistakes and RC timing issues again. As long as I dont bomb saturday LG like I did today I think i have a shot at 170... we will see.

Mulch was super easy for me too but I misread a rule (I put M always as 7th instead of 5th -_-) Not hating or anything, but the fact that at least one other person did badly on that LG makes me feel a bit more comfortable since I didn't do so hot on that either, ran out of time myself. I got two more PTs left and I don't plan on grading either of them just to keep my confidence in tact.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Just finished PT 60 and it is by far the best I have done.
I was a little distracted during the second LR due to an extremely loud baby crying in the library. UGH, people take your babies outside

Breakdown:
LR1:-5
LG:-4 Normally i miss 1-3
LR2:-4
RC:-11 :shock: First time i didnt finish the section. I didnt even get to the last passage.

Although it is not the ideal score, Im ok with it at this point

Ill probably do PT 59 later tonight when Im tired

What did you guys think of PT60? Hard? Easy? They are all the same to me

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm

PT60 was by far my worst score ever, 6 points below my diagnostic. Multiples of 3 for some reason were not kind to me...

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Totally forgot that I am see The Strokes tonight, so PT 59 will have to wait until tomorrow bitches
:P

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Wow. My sincerest condolences. The bolded part is the biggest motivator. Good luck.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:46 pm

3|ink wrote:Been trying to rebound from my -9 game section last night (pt 60). Before that, my worst games section ever was a -5, and my average is -1. For some reason, I just can't figure out games as quickly anymore. Did 2 games sections today (47 & 48 respectively). Scored a -1 and -3 respectively. For some reason, I can't seem to figure out those games where they give you enough information to deduce all of the possibilities. I've never had this much trouble with these game types before. Here's hoping it's a passing phase.

I've been feeling weird about LG recently too (I used to go -0/-1 at it but recently have gone -3/or running out of time (for 4!). I just drilled the most recent PTs (if you have any PTs from 54-60) that you haven't done the LG for then just drill the section. Or even one you did a while ago ... re do it and give yourself less time (ex: 32 mins) if you feel it will be too familiar.

After drilling for a few days - I am better at creating possibilities before I look at the 1st quetion for a game and it helps me do the qs faster.
good luck.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Stay strong and good luck on the test.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. Best of luck on Saturday!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”