October 2010 Test Prep

testmachine45

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby testmachine45 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 am

incompetentia wrote:Taking 58 tomorrow. I still have 51 and 54...going to part those out and drill just a ton of sections throughout the day - probably including the ones I've done horribly on the last few days (60 RC, 59 RC, 57 LR2).

I really feel my concentration is going to be the issue on Saturday. If I'm 100% there through the first 3 hours, I'll have a chance at a 180 regardless of curve. If I'm any less than 90% there, I won't see the good side of 173.

I notice that most of the LR wrong answers I get are on questions that I don't necessarily answer right away, but ones where I have to briefly weigh two choices before confidently going with one (as opposed to one I'm truly torn on). Does anybody else have this problem? And if so, how do you counteract it?

I'm debating marking those questions as "pitfall" questions or something so that I have a list of 6-8 to check on in the 3-4 minutes at the end of a section, as something to do to potentially grab a point here or there. I realize this is kind of late - if I'd had this epiphany earlier, I could do more with it...

As for my consistency, I seem to have flashes where I can get LR/RC to -1 or -2 for the test. However, this never happens to both at the same time. (Today -7 LR -2 RC, yesterday -5 RC -4 LR...) I keep telling myself it's going to put itself together one of these days, but I'm running out of time...

Yes. I too have this problem. After isolating down to two choices, I choose the one wrong, everytime. Not sure what that's about. I think it actually has to do with us as opposed to the test...are you generally mainstream or hip?

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:10 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
3|ink wrote:168 on PT 60 today. That's like a monthly low for me. I haven't gone below 170 in quite some time. Here's the breakdown:

LR1: -1
LR2: -3
RC: -1
LG: -9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exp LR: -2

Wow. I haven't missed more than 3 in LG in ages. I knew I performed poorly on it, but I was thinking -4 or something like that. Holy crap. I personally found those games retardedly difficult. The last game was simply unbelievable.

Oh well. I'll just have to drill games in the next couple of days.

This makes me nervous for pt 60 on thursday. I have been above 172 for 4 straight tests, hopefully I can do it.

60 is hard brah...good luck

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 am

catsparka wrote:UGH #59 RC.

I was doing well (-0 on LG, -1 on LR1, -2 on LR2) until I got to this stupid RC section and got -4.

I think I spent too much time on the first passage (about 9minutes) and then spent the rest of the section feeling rushed. Thus, I didn't really double-check my answers for support in the passage, and was relying on memory for most of the section.

I was stumped on question #2 for the longest time. I know I probably should have moved on rather than spend a disproportionate amount of time on a question so early on, but... I couldn't help myself.

I HATED the law passage. SO. MUCH. Even more than the Noguchi. I got the main point question wrong on the law passage. A and C were just so similar. They say pretty much the exact same thing (at least that's what I thought). I also got #15 wrong because I was feeling rushed and didn't refer to the passage.

I got #20 and #21 wrong on Noguchi. They were both stupid mistakes, where if I'd taken an extra 30 seconds to read carefully, I could have gotten them right.

I guess my main problem with RC is spending too much time on the earlier passages and then feeling rushed and therefore not checking/reading as thoroughly as I should be for the later ones.

I'm going to be spending a substantial amount of time tomorrow drilling RC. UGH. :(

9 A is wrong because it talks about a "national curriculum", which was not mentioned in the passage.

I missed 20 as well. These were pretty tough, but I would be pretty happy to get a 176 like you just did.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 am

after reviewing the past few pages on this thread.. im not touching pt 60. I dont like the confidence killer that it seems to be brining. I think ill revisit pt 32, and splice in RC and do this as a bunch of timed sections.

I think its time to stop worrying about saturday, and take it one section, one question, one word at a time. We've all worked our tails off getting ready. Remember all of the hard work put in will show its rewards on test day.

By the way.. if you are starting to lose confidence... perhaps taking time off away from this site may help. I see a lot more doom and gloom. Just remember that the majority of people sitting for the exam havent made prep the most important thing in their lives ( and forgone their social lives/ family, friends, job, hobby, etc) this summer ( and maybe even longer)

Threadders Keep the faith! We got this on lock

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 am

Yeah, I'm not taking a full prep test tomorrow. I'm just doing various section work in combination with various passages from Harry Potter in combination with a policy I've termed subsistence schoolwork.

I managed a -1 on an LR section today... feeling okay about that. I think I've been confusing inference with justify questions. I can always get justify questions right (well, usually), but for assumption/inference, I've been trying to "justify" the question... that does not really work.

Did two LG sections as well. -3 and -1 respectively. The -3's were all dumb mistakes. One of them was I misread a question (Peggy not Ruth, how do you mix that up?), the other was I misread another question (could be true or could not or something like that) and I think the third was along those lines... the -1 on the other was a mistaken reversal.

By the time I go into the test on Saturday, I'll have done every single games section available. I think that'll be a good confidence booster. I also am feeling more confident about how I set up my structures. I really like the games where it's about making a lovely diagram to start with like the cold symptoms one or like the ... man I don't even know... like cars with power windows, and stuff? (PT 34 maybe). Awesome! Love them!

I ran into a hard trigger game scenario as well. It was like in/out grouping. Vomitous.

EDIT: And yeah, I'm totally not looking at ANY thread that involves the word "panic" or "confidence shot" lol... I am keeping myself to this thread and the PT 50-60 threads.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 am

Does anyone know where I could purchase an online copy of PT60?

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 am

I find myself doing worse in RC now. I went from 1 wrong to 4-5. Any quick hints?

I have difficulty mostly with my timing. I start from the back and go to the front.

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:40 am

atresia wrote:Does anyone know where I could purchase an online copy of PT60?

Try Cambridge LSAT brah

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 am

testmachine45 wrote:
Yes. I too have this problem. After isolating down to two choices, I choose the one wrong, everytime. Not sure what that's about. I think it actually has to do with us as opposed to the test...are you generally mainstream or hip?

Academically probably, culturally not even close. I usually adapt though as necessary.

My issue I guess is not with lack of concentration as in worry, but rather getting too worked up and jittery, and ultimately getting distracted because of it.
Reason why my CDs for big events are always psych-down rather than psych-up...if I come in guns blazing listening to Take On Me (why are you looking at me like that?), it doesn't bode well for section numbers that aren't powers of 10.

Whatever. My rolling average is still 174 with all the crap that happened with my tests over the weekend. Freaking bring it, 61.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 am

policestate1234 wrote:
atresia wrote:Does anyone know where I could purchase an online copy of PT60?

Try Cambridge LSAT brah

Thanks!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 am

incompetentia wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:

Academically probably, culturally not even close. I usually adapt though as necessary.

My issue I guess is not with lack of concentration as in worry, but rather getting too worked up and jittery, and ultimately getting distracted because of it.
Reason why my CDs for big events are always psych-down rather than psych-up...if I come in guns blazing listening to Take On Me (why are you looking at me like that?), it doesn't bode well for section numbers that aren't powers of 10.

Whatever. My rolling average is still 174 with all the crap that happened with my tests over the weekend. Freaking bring it, 61.

On Friday I plan to make a mix CD of motivational songs (featuring such classics as "I Just Can't Wait To Be King") and dance around the house singing along. I feel confident this will be both stress relieving and inspiring.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:54 am

Haha, I've already got my mellow playlist ready. Was thinking of tacking on another 37 minutes of ridiculous hyper crazy stuff for the drive home...might as well test it out Friday.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 am

my personal favorite game setup is the airplanes and radar over country Z.. every time I do that I remember that 5 days after the lsat, I will be on my way to a 5 day vacation to the sunny bahamas... I booked the vacation as a reward for giving up my summer

.... 8 days until Ill be sitting on the beach, tall cold drink in my hand, with not a care in the world. Maybe ill find a nice bahaman lady and live out the rest of my days in paradise... ( I know I can get into the university of puerto rico!)

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 am

incompetentia wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:

wait you are academically mainstream? culturally you are not? yes?

if so, then thats your answer.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:37 am

taking pt 60 on thurs; i don't care about the confidence thing (i'm feeling surprisingly comfortable even though i shouldn't be :)); i just want to see what mistakes i make so i can review them before the real thing.

just did section 1 LR of PT 57 again (it was my diagnostic 3 months ago); i got -2 on ridiculously dumb reading errors. i'm feeling alright.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:08 am

eit wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:

On Friday I plan to make a mix CD of motivational songs (featuring such classics as "I Just Can't Wait To Be King") and dance around the house singing along. I feel confident this will be both stress relieving and inspiring.

lol, best, I want this mix CD

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:12 am

I'll post the playlist.

Also, I would have way rather have had the LSAT nightmares than the random, "someone is trying to murder me and 911 won't come help me" nightmare I had last night. I'm trying to get loads of sleep and it doesn't help having two nightmares in one night.

Stupid 8.30 AM classes. At least I'm used to getting up early?

jfb

Postby jfb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:42 am

Pt 59 in the books: 170
LG: -0
LR1: -0
LR2: -4
RC: -10 (whaaaaaaaaatt)

I actually did the rc section first because I knew it was supposed to be difficult and I was eager to see what it was all about. The frustrating thing to me is that the passages, including the Noguchi one, seemed fairly straight forward. The question and answer choices were just really really tough. Hoping part of the poor performance had to do with me going in to the section expecting to struggle with it.

lparker

Postby lparker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:19 am

I did the infamous PT57 games yesterday. I can see where Mauve Dinos would have been difficult on the real thing. I got them all, but it was a lot to juggle to come up with the inferences.

Overall, I'm just ready to get it over with now. I wish that my LR was a little stronger, but if I get my average of my last PTs I'd be a happy girl. Maybe we won't get any ridiculous RCs and LGs will be all linear, haha.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:20 am

Meh. PT 60 games were the hardest in the history of the test IMO.

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:25 am

PT 59 today, Pt 60 tomorrow morning under as close to test day conditions as I can possibly recreate. Tomorrow evening depending on how I do on 60 I'll either call it good or pound through some of the hardest LR questions from the Cambridge pdf I bought.

Friday I am hitting the golf course at like 2:00 and not leaving until it gets dark. I want to not even think about the LSAT, have some fun, and pass out exhausted at about 8:30 so I can wake up feeling great at 6:30-7:00 on Dday.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 am

2014 wrote:PT 59 today, Pt 60 tomorrow morning under as close to test day conditions as I can possibly recreate. Tomorrow evening depending on how I do on 60 I'll either call it good or pound through some of the hardest LR questions from the Cambridge pdf I bought.

Friday I am hitting the golf course at like 2:00 and not leaving until it gets dark. I want to not even think about the LSAT, have some fun, and pass out exhausted at about 8:30 so I can wake up feeling great at 6:30-7:00 on Dday.

I'm taking pt60 tomorrow too and then going movie hopping with a friend of mine all day.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 am

I had a dream last night that I was sitting in front of a giant posterboard full of LR questions. I'd never seen those questions before, so my subconscious or whatever must have made them up. But THEY WERE SO HARD. I sat there just staring at the questions trying to figure out the answer for so long, until I somehow came to the realization that this was MY dream and I had made up these questions and therefore I must know the answer if I dig deep enough into my subconscious...

jfb

Postby jfb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 am

catsparka wrote:I had a dream last night that I was sitting in front of a giant posterboard full of LR questions. I'd never seen those questions before, so my subconscious or whatever must have made them up. But THEY WERE SO HARD. I sat there just staring at the questions trying to figure out the answer for so long, until I somehow came to the realization that this was MY dream and I had made up these questions and therefore I must know the answer if I dig deep enough into my subconscious...

I am looking forward to dreaming about something other than the lsat soon.

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:48 am

I had a dream that was particularly vivid about basically everything going wrong and subsequently getting kicked out and arrested from an exam in a class that I am not even remotely worried about.

I'm pretty sure it was my mind subconsciously replacing the LSAT with a class, but the dream represented the LSAT for sure. In summary, I don't like dreaming about tests and I would rather not again haha

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”