October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby r2b2ct » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Sinra wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Nonok wrote:Has anyone taken 2 PTs in one day? I'm bored and am considering doing another one.

I've done this several times. I've noticed that some of my highest scores have occurred the day after I've done 2 tests in a day. I'm actually considering saving 59 and 60 for Friday because of this. I am wary of burnout though.


I tend to think burnout is overrated. I do believe that lots of people experience it, but I don't think it's the answer to everything. I'm made the most improvements from just doing LSAT-study every single day. If I skip a day of LR, I invariably miss a question or two more per section from not having been in the mindset and missing a single word/qualifier. I score better consistently when I study every single day with no (day-long) break.

I'm taking a test on Wednesday and doing my last one Friday. No way in hell I'll be relaxing the day before. I think we underestimate that some people learn differently--and for me doing great is a matter of being in the mindset constantly and consistently. Plus, I don't really get exhausted from studying or anything like that.

I think we're in the same boat. I've never experienced burnout and I tend to feel sharpest when I consistently push myself without breaks. It's hard to ignore the burnout horror stories though.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sinra » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm

r2b2ct wrote:
Sinra wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Nonok wrote:Has anyone taken 2 PTs in one day? I'm bored and am considering doing another one.

I've done this several times. I've noticed that some of my highest scores have occurred the day after I've done 2 tests in a day. I'm actually considering saving 59 and 60 for Friday because of this. I am wary of burnout though.


I tend to think burnout is overrated. I do believe that lots of people experience it, but I don't think it's the answer to everything. I'm made the most improvements from just doing LSAT-study every single day. If I skip a day of LR, I invariably miss a question or two more per section from not having been in the mindset and missing a single word/qualifier. I score better consistently when I study every single day with no (day-long) break.

I'm taking a test on Wednesday and doing my last one Friday. No way in hell I'll be relaxing the day before. I think we underestimate that some people learn differently--and for me doing great is a matter of being in the mindset constantly and consistently. Plus, I don't really get exhausted from studying or anything like that.

I think we're in the same boat. I've never experienced burnout and I tend to feel sharpest when I consistently push myself without breaks. It's hard to ignore the burnout horror stories though.


Yeah but I also think if you were susceptible to it, you'd already have experienced it no? I mean I have done the worst on PTs when I've taken a day off to rest for fear of burnout. Inevitably, the days when I push myself I go up, up, up. I'm doing my final test on Friday morning.

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby r2b2ct » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I agree. I'm definitely going to do at least one PT on Friday, probably two. My PT average has been shooting up recently to high 170s and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have been studying a lot without even a day break over the last two weeks.

I think this is especially true for RC for me. When I ignore it for even a day I tend to approach the passages passively and take up way too much time, putting pressure on the last passage. But when I drill it daily I flow through it with time to spare.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:03 pm

TUP wrote:It seems like everyone is taking the end of this week off. Am I the only one doing 59 on Thursday and 60 on Friday? After 3+ months of regular prep, doing nothing all of a sudden wouldn't feel right.

You are not alone. I did 60 yesterday but I'll be doing PTs on Thu & Fri. I feel cold & un-oiled the day after a rest.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:06 pm

r2b2ct wrote:I think this is especially true for RC for me.

Same here. Speaking of which, I finally feel like my RC locked in today.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Did PT 60 this morning. The mulch game was a throw-back. It felt like something from a really early PT. The last game was a bitch though. I rolled into it with 13 min or so remaining and went right down to the wire.

LR felt tougher too.

173 - 91/99

I LR, -2
II LG, -1
III LR, -3
IV RC, -2 (best RC score in a while, but I 50/50'd like 5 q's)

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 pm

PT 57. 170.

That'd be 5/6 most recent breaking 170. Feelin' hopeful. 170 is a lil' too close for comfort though.

LR 2 destroyed me... -7!!! Fortunately I survived the mauve dino's & RC was only -2, even though it was the 5th section!

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

I can't bring myself to take a PT today. I'm feeling too lazy. I'll take 60 tomorrow.

silly101
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby silly101 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:16 pm

3|ink wrote:I can't bring myself to take a PT today. I'm feeling too lazy. I'll take 60 tomorrow.


60 tomorrow for me too

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Did PT 60 this morning. The mulch game was a throw-back. It felt like something from a really early PT. The last game was a bitch though. I rolled into it with 13 min or so remaining and went right down to the wire.

LR felt tougher too.

173 - 91/99

I LR, -2
II LG, -1
III LR, -3
IV RC, -2 (best RC score in a while, but I 50/50'd like 5 q's)


Yeh I don't get why people found the mulch game hard. The 2nd and 4th game were the hardest for me. There was only 1 question on the mulch game that messed me up, but overall I still took maybe 5 minutes on that game.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Ya, mulch was easy. I made one careless mistake, but 2 and particularly 4 were super hard.

Maybe it is because I practiced mostly older LGs? I also found Dinos to be the easiest on 57.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 pm

dhrizek wrote:Ya, mulch was easy. I made one careless mistake, but 2 and particularly 4 were super hard.

Maybe it is because I practiced mostly older LGs? I also found Dinos to be the easiest on 57.


Same. I bombed 57 but I got perfect on dinos and I didn't spend more than 8 minutes on it.

2 and 4 on 60 were brutal. I didn't expect 2 at all since I didn't see a conditional sequencing game in forever. I got totally lost and messed up my diagram like 2 times.

4 was just hard. I hope I don't see anything like it this Saturday.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:4 was just hard. I hope I don't see anything like it this Saturday.

There was no freaking space! So annoying.

User avatar
catsparka
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby catsparka » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm

While reviewing games, I just came across my most-hated game of all time. The bus seat game in PT 36. It took me like 15 minutes the first time I did it. Another game that's similar (and that I also hate) is the one with jugglers on teams with rows. UGH. So time consuming. Does anyone else dislike these games as much as I do? Or are they super easy and I'm just missing something in them?

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Bus seats? Window seats & aisle seats?
Haha I just did this LG section today but didn't know what PT it was from. Thank you.

There are many rules in that game. Assuming good setup & fluid diagramming of rules, it can still take a while.
The key is diagramming your rules spatially & you should be ok.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:50 pm

This is my last post before D-Day. I need to get in the zone.

Just wanted to tell everyone on this thread good luck, and may we all get 170+!!!!

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

does anyone know when superprep A came out? I just did a timed RC section and Game section from them, and ended up with a -4 RC and -2 LG? Im happy with the score obviously, but was wondering how old it is.


as for the talk about the bus seat game. If you diagram the rules visually, it makes it easier to see . It took me a little over 9 minutes to complete it ( i have a habit of writing down my total time on each game and rc passage during prep) and i didnt miss any questions

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 pm

eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!



dont put so much pressure on yourself. you're doing just fine. It sounds like you were mentally exhausted by the time you got to gool ol 59, but like a trooper you went and did it anyways... You should be happy with that performance, as you clearly can do extremely well on little sleep, and going into the thing not 100% mentally rested. Good Job

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 pm

eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!


I missed 23 24 25 26 on LR 1 of 59. 2 of the 4 I had the right answer circled but second guessed, last one I just ran out of time and 25 just had to guess out of time even though it was ridic. easy :(

Im going to stop doing 1-10,25-20, then 11-19. Recent LR seems to be very easy up until 20, and more traps at the end. I didn't use this strategy on LR 2 and went -1.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!


I missed 23 24 25 26 on LR 1 of 59. 2 of the 4 I had the right answer circled but second guessed, last one I just ran out of time and 25 just had to guess out of time even though it was ridic. easy :(

Im going to stop doing 1-10,25-20, then 11-19. Recent LR seems to be very easy up until 20, and more traps at the end. I didn't use this strategy on LR 2 and went -1.


You know I read once that on any test, your first inclination is usually right.


I missed two questions on 59 doing the same thing. I think from now on, unless I see something that obviously indicates that my chosen answer is wrong, I will just let things be.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 pm

eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!


LR has intimidated me lately as well. Just remember that it's probably not half as hard as it seems. The LSAC isn't that clever.
Last edited by 3|ink on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Yea. Although on the LSAT there are so many traps that when going through answer choices seem right, but then I come to better answers. The worst is having 2 very similar answer choices and selecting the trap that is just about right but not as right as the credited choice. I've found in this instance scope of the AC is a good indicator - too broad of scopes sound good but are usually bad.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!


LR has intimidating me lately as well. Just remember that it's probably not half as hard as it seems. The LSAC isn't that clever.


Atleast not as hard as early early LR. Recent LR is cake and besides for maybe the 1 or 2 hard ones they throw at you, most LR is just about avoiding traps. So many stock wrong answers/easily eliminated answer choices.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm

minnbills wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
eit wrote:Eeek. 92 raw, 174 on #59. -2LG, -4LR, -2LR, -1RC.

I'm having a major LR breakdowwwwwn. I think lack of sleep + having a test right before made it worse. Plus a noisy environment.

Ugh. Not happy with this!


I missed 23 24 25 26 on LR 1 of 59. 2 of the 4 I had the right answer circled but second guessed, last one I just ran out of time and 25 just had to guess out of time even though it was ridic. easy :(

Im going to stop doing 1-10,25-20, then 11-19. Recent LR seems to be very easy up until 20, and more traps at the end. I didn't use this strategy on LR 2 and went -1.


You know I read once that on any test, your first inclination is usually right.


I missed two questions on 59 doing the same thing. I think from now on, unless I see something that obviously indicates that my chosen answer is wrong, I will just let things be.


The LSAC has this trick where they put the correct answer as A or E, and the sucker choice (looks right, but wrong) on the other of A or E. It's not always your first inclination because sometimes it's E.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, greatspirit, Greenteachurro, Lexaholik, mrgstephe and 4 guests