October 2010 Test Prep

incompetentia

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:00 pm

In the spirit of the previous post, I figured I'd stop in here as a newbie. (Hello everybody, and nice to meet you, etc....what was that about irony?)

Been working my way through the old old tests and finally managed to reach some of the more recent ones.
Just finished 60...LG seemed fine for me (-0), but that last RC passage pretty much killed me, and LR was ehh.

Still have 57-59 in my pocket for next week...concentration over a 6-section test still seems to be a weakness for me. (So far, I've scored a few points lower on average when I throw in an XP and also bother to make an effort on the essay...)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Brought PT 56 to Kaplan's thing. It was a good test day simulation I think, even though it had some added distractions like different timers going off, groups of people leaving class mid section etc, otherwise pretty good. The lady didn't tell us when she started her timer so I think for the first 2 sections or so I might have gotten shorted a minute or so....

PT 56
LG -5
LR -2
LR -4
RC -7 :twisted:

82/165

Same ole stuff. LG i got to the last problem with enough time but ran out of time for the last 3 and had to guess missing them all - need to move on from questions stumping me. LR was okay. RC killed me as usual and I missed atleast 2 or 3 on each of the last 3 passages, running out of time on the last one. I dont know what to do at this point, only 2 PTs left and I consistently get screwed by running out of time on RC and missing stuff.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:06 pm

incompetentia wrote:In the spirit of the previous post, I figured I'd stop in here as a newbie. (Hello everybody, and nice to meet you, etc....what was that about irony?)

Been working my way through the old old tests and finally managed to reach some of the more recent ones.
Just finished 60...LG seemed fine for me (-0), but that last RC passage pretty much killed me, and LR was ehh.

Still have 57-59 in my pocket for next week...concentration over a 6-section test still seems to be a weakness for me. (So far, I've scored a few points lower on average when I throw in an XP and also bother to make an effort on the essay...)

Are you doing 2 experimentals or 1 PT, 1 experimental and the essay section?
Feel free to practice the essay (separately) if you want but it is totally not necessary to practice endurance.
1 pt + 1 experimental section is enough to practice endurance. There is a huge sigh of relief at the end of section 5 and I totally take that time to go to the bathroom, then knock out the essay in 20-25 mins and relax while they collect materials.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:13 pm

jfb wrote:Edit: Sorry... PT 57 Spoiler Alert

I'm with Gdane on this. Please make spoiler alerts bolded to avoid lookin'. I haven't yet done 52, 54-60.
Thanks to all those - yourself included via edit - who are doing this.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:16 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Are you doing 2 experimentals or 1 PT, 1 experimental and the essay section?
Feel free to practice the essay (separately) if you want but it is totally not necessary to practice endurance.
1 pt + 1 experimental section is enough to practice endurance. There is a huge sigh of relief at the end of section 5 and I totally take that time to go to the bathroom, then knock out the essay in 20-25 mins and relax while they collect materials.

1 XP + essay. Been doing 4-section tests for like 5 weeks now, figure I should have at least some knowledge of the way the essay works haha

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:18 pm

PT 51. 172.
Broke 170 3 out of the last 4 PTs, with the one failure being short by one Q with a 169. Forget what came before (I don't log).
I don't care what my average is, I just care how often I get 17X. Feelin' pretty good.

jfb

Postby jfb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:24 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Our time is coming to an end my PT61 LSAT family. From Adjudicators hot UW asian women (UW! I can taste), Eit's explanation of her avatar 10 different times (i still don't remember who it is), 2014's talking to no one to keep himself accountable, gdane's spoiler alerts (boat sinks at the end in titanic), yzero = kobe (go lakers!), Sandro's non-tony soprano look alike avatar, and many others I am too lazy to reference.

We've had ups and downs, but we were always in this together. The time has come to put all our hard work to the challenge and in the end we can be happy we gave it our all. Virtual nerd toast for all!

Who is it and where can I find her?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:27 pm

jfb wrote:Who is it and where can I find her?

Gossip girl. Blair Waldorf. Leighton Meester. Find her on the WB.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Got a 180 on PT 27 today, but was lucky -- Got 97/101 so just made the cut.

LR: 26/26
LG: 23/23
LR: 24/25 (erased the right answer.)
RC: 23/26 (still haven't gotten a perfect score here. the hope is looking bleak, but at least i'm consistent in -2 or -3.)

I notice a big difference in my time, and how much I comprehend material, specifically in LR depending on sleep, health and comfort.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm

i've done tests 30-59 so ive been doing 20-28. is there value in this?

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 pm

IMO the older logic games especially are good practice. You could always go back and review the newer tests and give yourself less time.

1 XP + essay. Been doing 4-section tests for like 5 weeks now, figure I should have at least some knowledge of the way the essay works haha

Oh #&@%! I totally forgot about the essay!!! Oh noes...I have no idea what they want out of it.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:07 pm

just reviewed PT 56 - Left so many points on the table its not even funny. If my RC doesnt screw me over next saturday, PT 61 is going down.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:10 pm

stargazin wrote:IMO the older logic games especially are good practice. You could always go back and review the newer tests and give yourself less time.

Oh #&@%! I totally forgot about the essay!!! Oh noes...I have no idea what they want out of it.

acknowledge the other side, but pick 1 and firmly stay faithful to it. don't write anything retarded, and it can't hurt you. it'll never help you. just get a good score, and don't write backwards and you'll be good.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Sandro777 wrote:just reviewed PT 56 - Left so many points on the table its not even funny. If my RC doesnt screw me over next saturday, PT 61 is going down.

why will next saturday be any diff from this saturday? practice that shiz.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I've noticed that I can get down to about -2 in RC/LR fairly consistently, but any further improvements are usually followed by a backslide down to -2 or -3 again.
Are there any strategies for getting over this hump? I do notice a slight increase in -0s recently but my scores have been flat for about a week and a half now.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:just reviewed PT 56 - Left so many points on the table its not even funny. If my RC doesnt screw me over next saturday, PT 61 is going down.

I hope so - unless i see some gains on 59 and 60 I think I am going to try some alternate approach to RC - it seems like 2 or 3 questions seem to be ones with tough answer choices and take up all my time, leaving me screwed on passage 3 or 4. I think I might have to come to terms with the fact that I will have to skip 3, possibly 4 questions as I go through passages 2 3 and 4 - but maybe this cutdown on just sitting there for 2 minutes pondering 1 question multiple times will enable me to A: finish on time or B: finish with time to spare to be able to go back to the passages and dig deeper.... Hell even a -4 on RC would put me in range of a 170 if I do work on the rest of the test.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm

jfb wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
3|ink wrote:174 on 57. Bah.

That's what I got, too. I hated 57; it was probably the hardest PT for me in months.

I'll second that. I didn't think the dino's were too bad, but had some trouble with the 4th game, and RC killed me.

I lost three on LR2. Lost 2 in RC (both from the second passage).

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

I hope so - unless i see some gains on 59 and 60 I think I am going to try some alternate approach to RC - it seems like 2 or 3 questions seem to be ones with tough answer choices and take up all my time, leaving me screwed on passage 3 or 4. I think I might have to come to terms with the fact that I will have to skip 3, possibly 4 questions as I go through passages 2 3 and 4 - but maybe this cutdown on just sitting there for 2 minutes pondering 1 question multiple times will enable me to A: finish on time or B: finish with time to spare to be able to go back to the passages and dig deeper.... Hell even a -4 on RC would put me in range of a 170 if I do work on the rest of the test.

I've tried hopping around in RC recently (my worst section at this point as well) - my changes seemed to be minimal at best though, and I ran into misbubbling errors. Based on a 27-question section, I usually give myself about 90 seconds to skim and then reread the passage, and then 1 minute per question for that passage (as in, I'll move on once I get to 8 minutes for an 8-Q passage)...this gives me a chance to breeze through the easy ones, take my time to take a stab at the stumpers (unless I'm really lost I can usually eliminate at least 2 choices in that amount of time), and then there's 2 minutes to come back at the end and bang my head on the wall some more.
Then again, that's me.

(By the way, props for Levy.)
Last edited by incompetentia on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Been looking around this board for a couple months now and finally decided to post. Scored a 158 as a diagnostic test at the beginning. Below are my last 6 scores:

I took a test today emulating test environment (in the same building as the test will be next Saturday, hah) and got that 172. It was frustrating though. PT53 -1 LR, -0 LG, -2 LR2, -6 RC. And the bug RC questions weren't even that hard for me. I missed 4 on the Jurisprudence one (and 2 on the bugs). Gah. I'm finishing up the Logical Reasoning Bible tonight and doing PT54 tomorrow. I'd be happy with a 171 next Saturday but the lack of progress is frustrating to say the least. Also, did anyone find the games on PT53 to be freakishly easy? I finished with 10 minutes to spare.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:46 pm

incompetentia wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

I've tried hopping around in RC recently (my worst section at this point as well) - my changes seemed to be minimal at best though, and I ran into misbubbling errors. Based on a 27-question section, I usually give myself about 90 seconds to skim and then reread the passage, and then 1 minute per question for that passage (as in, I'll move on once I get to 8 minutes for an 8-Q passage)...this gives me a chance to breeze through the easy ones, take my time to take a stab at the stumpers (unless I'm really lost I can usually eliminate at least 2 choices in that amount of time), and then there's 2 minutes to come back at the end and bang my head on the wall some more.
Then again, that's me.

(By the way, props for Levy.)

You skim and then re skim the passage in 90 seconds? I also thought about changing something up with how I read passages, maybe reading and then skimming after specifically looking for tone, structure, and identifying where the questions might come from.

It just makes no sense. LG got better with lots of practice. LR went from -8 to -2s. I was knocking out 1-30 RC with -2s, -3s at most... ive done almost all PTs from 7-60.. and here are my last few RC scores, i didnt record all of them but they probably average out the same 5-5-5-6-4-7-5-7. I got -5 on Sep09 admin RC and finished with extra time (i think)

I am going to try a different approach for PT 59 - read the passage once and then go back and pretend i'm the author, trying to get a feel of what exactly I'm trying to say. Maybe just do this on the last 2 passages (that arent CR)
Last edited by Sandro on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

I'm in your boat, Sandro. My RC is keeping me out of the 170 range. I literally can go -6 to -8 on RC which is just disgusting. These past 2 days (more so today), I've been drilling the crap out of RC using the RCB. What i think helped me the most is their 'common themes' inspection and the ways certain science/law/humanities passages flow. I'll tell you how it goes with pt 58 tomorrow. I am shooting for <-5 on RC.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Usually yes - I seem to get fooled easily by main-point questions if I read for depth first, and I know generally where to refer back for the more specific questions.

Then again, probably half of my missed questions on each test are from the RC section still, so maybe you don't want to trust me anyway.

TUP

Postby TUP » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Wow, PT53 was not good to me. I went -1 LR1, -1 LG, -0 LR2, and then -9 RC. My worst RC by a few questions in almost 30 PTs, which is not a great confidence builder.

I had planned to take full PTs from here on out, but now I think I should go back to the drawing board on RC. Not even sure how to handle this at this point, though.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm

TUP wrote:Wow, PT53 was not good to me. I went -1 LR1, -1 LG, -0 LR2, and then -9 RC. My worst RC by a few questions in almost 30 PTs, which is not a great confidence builder.

I had planned to take full PTs from here on out, but now I think I should go back to the drawing board on RC. Not even sure how to handle this at this point, though.

PT53 RC was abnormally hard for me as well. Don't worry about it. Also, I just noticed that earplugs are not allowed during the test and I'm been practicing with them for weeks. FML.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Just want to clarify something when it comes to the spoiler alerts. You dont have to do this for every test. Thats ridiculous and a major inconvenience. However, it would be greatly appreciated if you could do this for PT 58, 59 and 60. PT 60 especially since many people are taking this one last. Not cool to go into a PT with an idea of how "hard" a section or game is.

In any case, I dont think theres anything more that I can do except practice. Ive cut down on mistakes, but Im still making stupid ones. One thing Ive noticed on the last 3 PT's is that some of LSAC's answers are somewhat subjective. Some answers require you to make a huge leap that cant be 100% supported. This sucks. The best thing one can do in this case is use process of elimination and hope for the best.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”