October 2010 Test Prep

luxxe

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby luxxe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:13 pm

thegrayman wrote:Does anyone know the time of day that the October LSAT is given?

8:30 am

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:52 am

Hey guys I am planning to prep with a Powerscore course from June to August. I will be interning during this period of time. Any tips on how to get the most of the course? With two months in between the time I finish the class and the test, I planned to look through the powerscore logic games bible and what not in order to "stay on my feet."

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 am

I got my best LR section ever! -2 on the December 09 :mrgreen:

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:40 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Hey guys I am planning to prep with a Powerscore course from June to August. I will be interning during this period of time. Any tips on how to get the most of the course? With two months in between the time I finish the class and the test, I planned to look through the powerscore logic games bible and what not in order to "stay on my feet."

Yeah, do as much homework as possible. It is hard to keep up if you actually follow the schedule and watch all the virtual videos. What have you done so far? Where are you taking the course?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 pm

ecrew wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:Hey guys I am planning to prep with a Powerscore course from June to August. I will be interning during this period of time. Any tips on how to get the most of the course? With two months in between the time I finish the class and the test, I planned to look through the powerscore logic games bible and what not in order to "stay on my feet."

Yeah, do as much homework as possible. It is hard to keep up if you actually follow the schedule and watch all the virtual videos. What have you done so far? Where are you taking the course?

The course starts on June 23rd. I haven't done anything just yet. I am hoping I can actually get some work done.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:19 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
ecrew wrote:

The course starts on June 23rd. I haven't done anything just yet. I am hoping I can actually get some work done.

Does the Powerscore class use the same methods found in the bibles?

kineticx

Postby kineticx » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Finally started studying today. Foolishly forgot my LG bible at home, so I just started working through the basic-linear-balanced games, since that is the only section I've already read through. It's so hard getting motivated to study during the summer...

Discipulus Iustitiae

Postby Discipulus Iustitiae » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Just started working through Ace the LSAT Logic Games from Get Prepped as a propaedeutic to the LG Bible. So far, it's been helpful.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 pm

Just restarted my prep today with 8 practice RC passages and 40 LR.

I did well on the RC passages missing a few simple questions

I missed zero on the LR but had seen some of the LR before.

Tomorrow I kick of the prep HARDCORE with June 2007 PT in the AM with exercises in Kaplan Mastery in the afternoon.

We have 4 months until the test and I plan on seizing everyday.

Background:

Finished my dual degree in May of 10, took LSAT this past December and got a dismal 161.

brickman

Postby brickman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 am

kineticx wrote:Finally started studying today. Foolishly forgot my LG bible at home, so I just started working through the basic-linear-balanced games, since that is the only section I've already read through. It's so hard getting motivated to study during the summer...

Beyond all the basic things that I could say like "realize that this is THE most important element of your law school application file", actually sitting down and studying (and focusing while doing it) is very much an internal thing. You have to be honest with yourself about the studying you are doing, the system within which you are studying and your expectations of yourself given time constraints.

Create a plan of study and a minimum amount of time to study every day and stick to it, realize that you can stave off anxiety by believing that this daily practice will ultimately help you. Beyond that, just know that at the end of this you can go back to being a person.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:07 am

TMT90 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
ecrew wrote:

Does the Powerscore class use the same methods found in the bibles?

I'm not sure I have not started the course, but I do have the logic games bible so we'll find out. I have not utilized the bible because I don't want to do anything that might taint the course, so we'll see.

shannon111

Postby shannon111 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am

I'm taking the October Lsat also. I just bought the powerscore bibles, my goal is 180! I wish everyone GOOD LUCK on their studying! :) I'm so glad I found this forum!

kineticx

Postby kineticx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 pm

brickman wrote:
kineticx wrote:Finally started studying today. Foolishly forgot my LG bible at home, so I just started working through the basic-linear-balanced games, since that is the only section I've already read through. It's so hard getting motivated to study during the summer...

Beyond all the basic things that I could say like "realize that this is THE most important element of your law school application file", actually sitting down and studying (and focusing while doing it) is very much an internal thing. You have to be honest with yourself about the studying you are doing, the system within which you are studying and your expectations of yourself given time constraints.

Create a plan of study and a minimum amount of time to study every day and stick to it, realize that you can stave off anxiety by believing that this daily practice will ultimately help you. Beyond that, just know that at the end of this you can go back to being a person.

Thanks for the advice! It's been easier since I started, especially since I'm starting to enjoy logic games.

jaws

Postby jaws » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Hello all. I just took my first cold diagnostic and it's gotten me really exciting about studying for the next four months. I am going to be living in the middle of nowhere to study, so I am doing Blueprint: The Movie course. Anyone else doing this course also? It is designed as a three month course, so starting now, I will finish a month early. If I do this, I am planning on taking the last month to take 10 or so practice exams. Is this a smart way to use my last month, just taking PTs and reviewing them?

thanks!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 pm

jaws wrote:I am planning on taking the last month to take 10 or so practice exams. Is this a smart way to use my last month, just taking PTs and reviewing them?

Absolutely. Spend the earlier portion of your prep building a strong foundation and learning techniques, then spend the later portion of your prep applying that foundation and those techniques to real PTs. You may also want to spend some time toward the end of your prep drilling question-types that give you trouble as you're moving through the timed PTs.

mlbennani

Postby mlbennani » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

jaws wrote:Hello all. I just took my first cold diagnostic and it's gotten me really exciting about studying for the next four months. I am going to be living in the middle of nowhere to study, so I am doing Blueprint: The Movie course. Anyone else doing this course also? It is designed as a three month course, so starting now, I will finish a month early. If I do this, I am planning on taking the last month to take 10 or so practice exams. Is this a smart way to use my last month, just taking PTs and reviewing them?

thanks!

Hello there. I have also just signed up for Blueprint: The Movie course for the same reason. I live pretty far away from everything and I have heard good things about it anyways! So I am just waiting for my 12 lb package to get here before I start. I am excited about it. So let's see how we do! Good luck to you.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am

Finally coming out of my surgery hangover. I tried to study some last week, but I feel like I was sleep walking through the LGB chapters instead of really learning it. This crap has set my study schedule back at least 2 weeks, not happy about it. Anyway, I'm nearly done with the Bibles and can't wait to take my next diagnostic. I get the feeling it won't be much better than my first, but I think my 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. PT will show marked improvement. Right now, my pacing/timing SUCKS.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 am

If you asked me at 12:29PM if I would join the october LSAT thread, I would have said not in a million years. After the intern game, here I am. Unless I get a 163+, then I won't write again, but man that game sucked.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 am

Four months TODAY!!!

and I'm starting my prep. I'm following some combination of pithypike, LSATblog, and whatever else I see and like. I am taking 18 hours this summer and working at the same time, so it will be a struggle to get everything done everyday, but such is life.

Background- I took the test in December and scored a respectable 166 without doing any prep almost at all, so hopefully with some serious study I will be able to break 173. My GPA is going to be in the 3.4 range so I need serious LSAT heat to break the T13.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 am

Just finished 8 months of studying for June and not feeling too great about the test....Might be taking in October..hopefully the 28th is a forgiving day :lol:

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Balzern, I'm right there with you, buddy. I'm not canceling and I didn't spend 8 months, but after a lot of study, I feel the test did not fall in my realm of nonretake {165}. So HELLO OCTOBER!!!! :D I'm going to take some time off/assemble a new strategy because the PT and God-forsaken Kaplan course clearly did not work, though I guess that remains to be seen. Anywho, definitely planning on the Bibles, as I hear very good things.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I guess I will join this circus. Yesterday I took PT60.

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 am

how long have most of you been studying? Does anyone feel that there is just to much material to rock the test in October? 4 months away, never felt this close?

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:06 am

ecrew wrote:how long have most of you been studying? Does anyone feel that there is just to much material to rock the test in October? 4 months away, never felt this close?

develop a study plan that is flexible, but have a rough idea of how many HOURS you are going to study in the course of a week. Expect review of PT to take a good long time as you should be reviewing it twice, once after you have taken it timed and before you've looked at the answers, and again after you have looked at the answers. Not sure what that will end up being, but I'm thinking a test + 2 review sessions of it 16-18 hours. So ~500 hours if you want to thoroughly review 30 PTs. Seeing as we have 15 or so weeks left, 2 full reviews a week would be enough, but I would focus on building a foundation in terms of strategies you will use on the test, so it'll probably be closer to 3 full reviews a week so ~50 hours a week for the last 10 weeks should do it.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am

I keep getting consistent scores around 164 and I need at least ten more points. I guess its no surprise that it is the LG section that is murdering me. I've done the LG Bible three times now and I am pretty confident with the techniques. I have been doing practice tests but I feel like this is an inefficient use of my time since it is only the LG that I really need to be improving on... Any one know of any pure sources of LG games? Are you guys simply taking the LG section of the practice tests? Does anyone know of any sources of simulated questions so that I don't have to blow the practice tests?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”