October 2010 Test Prep

JJDancer

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 pm

I've taken the LSAT twice but the LSAC ALERT email I saw (as a subject line) still freaked me out.

I think it's because last time they changed my test center 3 weeks before the LSAT and just decided to send me 40 miles away. I guess I'm traumatized.

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Taking a proctored practice exam with Kaplan tomorrow. I'll be walking in with a 5 section PT 60 downloaded from Cambridge, and hoping they'll let me do that instead of the PT 36 they are going to pass out.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 pm

ND'10 wrote:Taking a proctored practice exam with Kaplan tomorrow. I'll be walking in with a 5 section PT 60 downloaded from Cambridge, and hoping they'll let me do that instead of the PT 36 they are going to pass out.

I heard they wont let you because these "free" proctered practice tests are a way for them to "sell" Kaplan LSAT classes to you. Give it a shot anyway.

Good luck on 60!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:56 pm

ND'10 wrote:Taking a proctored practice exam with Kaplan tomorrow. I'll be walking in with a 5 section PT 60 downloaded from Cambridge, and hoping they'll let me do that instead of the PT 36 they are going to pass out.

I think they will. Especially if you don't tell them that's what you're doing lol.
When I went to Kaplan I didn't know which test they would be passing out (it was 36) so I brought one of my own just in case. But I hadn't taken 36 then so I didn't need it.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I think I might bring PT 59 along with me to the Princeton Review test, just in case they give out a number I've already done (since I've done a ton of them). If they don't know/won't let me, it can just chill in my bag.

Oh, and I also get freaked out by my LSAT emails!! I keep double checking that my name is spelled properly and it has the right birthdate on the ticket haha.

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah, I think somebody mentioned a couple pages back that they let them take their own at last week's free exam. I think its weird that they wouldn't let me do it because they want to sell me their LSAT products even though hopefully we won't have to see another LSAT problem after October 9th.

I guess if they say no I'd have a decision to make, whether to just take 60 in a different room and not get the "proctored" feel, or stay in and take 36 even though I've seen a few problems from the Bibles and maybe won't get a representative score this late in the cycle...

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:09 pm

eit wrote:I think I might bring PT 59 along with me to the Princeton Review test, just in case they give out a number I've already done (since I've done a ton of them). If they don't know/won't let me, it can just chill in my bag.

Oh, and I also get freaked out by my LSAT emails!! I keep double checking that my name is spelled properly and it has the right birthdate on the ticket haha.

Hahaha! I just checked my email and found I had an LSAC email. I thought it was going to tell me "Im sorry, due to you sucking, LSAC will not allow you to take the Oct 2010 LSAT".

On that note, I have to start planning my bag for next week. Im thinking 5 pencils, some cliff bars, a banana, a small bottle with some liquids and my stub.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, it would actually work out well for me if they let me bring in PT 59. I could score it myself and not have to wait and also just get a PT out of the way.

But then again, I only really have two full PTs left. So maybe I should do whatever PT they give me, plus 59 on Monday, plus 60 on Wednesday?

What would you guys think about doing last full length PT on Monday? Too much time between PT and test? I still have full PTs 34, 35, 37 59, and 60 left.

The thing about Wednesday is I have to attend the first meeting of a research collective at 4.30, my last class ends at 2.30, I only have 2 hours, no time for a full PT unless I do it at like 5.30, I won't get home until like 10.30.... it just doesn't seem good to me.

Maybe I'll take PT 59, see what PT they're giving out and decide then... but maybe I'll do PT 59 tomorrow, full five section, properly timed, simulated PT 60 on Monday afternoon, and then a PT 35 or 37 on Wednesday (just a two hour one).... Argh.

OKAY I HAVE DECIDED: I'll bring PT 60 with me since it's a full five section, and also because then there's continuity (PT 60 this Saturday, PT 61 next Saturday). I like taking the most recent prep test in the mock environment. IF they are offering PT 34 or 35 or 37, I will do that PT, if not, PT 60.

Then Monday I'll do a full five section using PT 59 (since I already arranged this with a friend).

Wednesday... do you guys think there are any significant benefits in buying PT 41 or 42 (only other untouched ones that I didn't buy) and taking those rather than PT 34 or 35 or 37?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm

I signed up for the free Kaplan practice test, but I'm sure they are giving a test i've already done (only 56 58 and 60 left). I've already taken the LSAT, take under testing conditions, so I feel like going and dealing with their bullshit wouldn't really help me.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Im working up until Thursday. I need it though. Im flirting with the mid 160's and I need the practice. Eit, you should just do enough to keep yourself fresh. I wouldnt kill myself if I were you. Maybe keep it light on Thursday and Friday? If you want to get those tests in the 40's, may as well. Burn through everything.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 pm

What do you mean by bullshit? Mine is being sponsored by the Princeton Review, is that going to involve any bullshit? I basically just want the experience of sitting with other people while doing the test and having a proctor tell me when to switch seconds that isn't the nice calm voice from the online proctor, haha.

Basically I have decided to take my own test with me and just explain that I've already done basically all the other ones available, or at least some part of every other test I've done. They better let me do it or I'll just... argue with them with all my logical reasoning skills until they give in. Or tell them they're criticizing the proponent of a claim rather than the claim itself. ... Okay that might not work.

Thanks for the advice gdane. I'm going to get 42 just so I can do the latest test I can on Wednesday. I'm not adding anything to the schedule, just switching up what PT I'm doing tomorrow. I think I'll be good with the system I've set up here.

I'm excited! I wish it were tomorrow!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 pm

eit wrote:What do you mean by bullshit? Mine is being sponsored by the Princeton Review, is that going to involve any bullshit? I basically just want the experience of sitting with other people while doing the test and having a proctor tell me when to switch seconds that isn't the nice calm voice from the online proctor, haha.

Basically I have decided to take my own test with me and just explain that I've already done basically all the other ones available, or at least some part of every other test I've done. They better let me do it or I'll just... argue with them with all my logical reasoning skills until they give in. Or tell them they're criticizing the proponent of a claim rather than the claim itself. ... Okay that might not work.

Thanks for the advice gdane. I'm going to get 42 just so I can do the latest test I can on Wednesday. I'm not adding anything to the schedule, just switching up what PT I'm doing tomorrow. I think I'll be good with the system I've set up here.

I'm excited! I wish it were tomorrow!

From what I've read they try and sell you their classes. They even left a voicemail with me mentioning their deals that will be offered that day. I feel kind of disingenuous going there knowing I have a 0 pct chance of even thinking about using their services. That being said I'm still considering going there with PT56 though.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 pm

JJDancer wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Is anybody else planning on writing all of their essays and personal statements between October 10th and 31st? I've hardly touched 'em. I only have to do a personal statement, one or two of the Penn supplementals and a Why Michigan essay, though. Maybe a Why NYU.

Yes. I haven't touched that stuff and plan to do it all between Oct 10-Nov 10ish.
Getting started on my PS is going to suck.... lol

I've done my personal statement for sending to LOR sources, but other than that, yes.
I have a rough copy of a resume which needs tweaking, and I've done absolutely NONE of the application process otherwise. No drive for it. Go October 10th!

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh my god, yes! I knew I shouldve put a fake name and number on the card they make you fill out, but like a dillhole I gave them my real information. I had Kaplan calling me for months until I finally had told them in a very rude manner to "leave me the hell alone. I dont want your classes". I still get stuff from them in the mail...

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:54 pm

ND'10 wrote:...hoping they'll let me do that instead of the PT 36 they are going to pass out.

Sandro777 wrote:... but I'm sure they are giving a test i've already done... I feel like going and dealing with their bullshit wouldn't really help me.

I specifically received permission to bring in my own PT, and I specifically remember reading another poster say that they already actually did it, and the people there knew about it. It's not a problem. Can't hurt to check in with your local branch though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:12 pm

bring the pt that you want to do. if they give you a hard time you can simply leave, and go find a quiet area to practice. You could always tell them taht you have dedicated your life for the past 3 months to the test, and are fully prepared to never look back at the lsat after october 9th. Say it with a smile and you should be fine. Whats the worse that can happen? you take an extra pt?

g dane look at the bright side.. when they call after the test and you get your mid 160s+ simply tell them thanks but, well ive allready accepted a full scholarship to my dream school due to my awesomeness on lsat prep. thanks for everything, but this is one rodeo i no longer need to participate in. YEEE HAAAW.. make sure you give them a good ol cowboy at the end.

anyways.. a funny side note. I was filling up my truck today and realized that i was putting in a ton of gas. I made sure to stop the gas pump at $61.80 ( for pt 61. score of 180- I dropped the 1 since all scores are in the range of 120-180). ha!

thats right pt 61.. your going down like charlie browns baseball team!

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks CGI. I sent an e-mail Wednesday but never received a response and forgot to call today during work (ugh). I'd be really surprised if they said no, though

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Just scored a 160 on PT 53. This is not good so close to test day. I dont know what to do, my games technique has gone out the window, and I ended up skipping an ENTIRE game. Not to mention falling apart during LR2(-7), and RC(-6). WTF, WTF, WTF. I'm currently in freak out mode.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm

take a breather and relax. I know with a week left its hard to do, but the thing is to be confident in your skills and technique on test day. You may be burnt out. if so, take tomorrow off, do timed sections, and review what you missed. Dont try to do more than 2 tests this week. you need to walk into the test with the confidence and swagger of nick jagger. You will be fine.. hakunamatada

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Freakin moving has kept me from practicing the LSAT. I haven't even touched the LSAT since Tuesday. Here's hoping I haven't lost my touch. I'll find out tomorrow morning after I take PT 57.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:11 pm

3|ink wrote:Freakin moving has kept me from practicing the LSAT. I haven't even touched the LSAT since Tuesday. Here's hoping I haven't lost my touch. I'll find out tomorrow morning after I take PT 57.

Just remember that not doing as well on PT 57 as you have on other tests doesn't necessarily mean you've lost your touch. The fact that PT 57 is a beast that hit other people hard could also account for a dip in score.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 pm

eit wrote:
3|ink wrote:Freakin moving has kept me from practicing the LSAT. I haven't even touched the LSAT since Tuesday. Here's hoping I haven't lost my touch. I'll find out tomorrow morning after I take PT 57.

Just remember that not doing as well on PT 57 as you have on other tests doesn't necessarily mean you've lost your touch. The fact that PT 57 is a beast that hit other people hard could also account for a dip in score.

Im really going into the next few tests with a lot of confidence on LG because the dino's didnt trip me up at all. LR tripped me up. RC was also better than usual. We'll see what happens tomorrow on 58.

Staying in tonight since Im getting up early tomorrow to PT. Peeplez, keepz me company? :oops:

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

northwood wrote:take a breather and relax. I know with a week left its hard to do, but the thing is to be confident in your skills and technique on test day. You may be burnt out. if so, take tomorrow off, do timed sections, and review what you missed. Dont try to do more than 2 tests this week. you need to walk into the test with the confidence and swagger of nick jagger. You will be fine.. hakunamatada

@arewhy: if you feel that burnout is the source of your problems, heed this advice. If you don't, I suggest drilling as much as possible. If you feel that your brain can take more drilling, drill it. If not, don't. Do whatever you need to do. Freaking out is not that. Whatever you do, PT-wise, chill the fuck out and take deep breaths before doing them, and in general. Just remember that, worst case scenario, you have December. The last thing you need is to go into the test like it's your final judgment day.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 pm

gdane5 wrote:
eit wrote:

Im really going into the next few tests with a lot of confidence on LG because the dino's didnt trip me up at all. LR tripped me up. RC was also better than usual. We'll see what happens tomorrow on 58.

Staying in tonight since Im getting up early tomorrow to PT. Peeplez, keepz me company? :oops:

Yeah, dinos were fine, LR killed me too!

I'm trying to work on an essay that's due 10 days after the LSAT... not going so well. All I want to work on is LSAT (or Latin), otherwise I'm just not interested.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:32 pm

hey.. it pays to be a nerd this weekend. Im staying in and doing old games for fun ( although i had a nice brain fart with neither, nor, and only if.. but its all good now i remembered)

although this will be my last full weekend in nerdville. while i miss the social life, i do like having more money in the bank. i say we all have a cheers then put this past us for the rest of the night.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”