October 2010 Test Prep

Lasers

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Lasers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:49 am

also, are there an inordinate amount of people here that are overly prepared to take this october test?

because i'm going to get murdered by it, and i don't need you guys to dominate it and kill the "equalization" process or whatever they do to determine the curve.

or am i just being paranoid now?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:17 am

Lasers wrote:also, are there an inordinate amount of people here that are overly prepared to take this october test?

because i'm going to get murdered by it, and i don't need you guys to dominate it and kill the "equalization" process or whatever they do to determine the curve.

Relax. TLS is a classic case of self-selection bias. We're an unrepresentative sample. I'd imagine that the vast majority of test-takers are going to be insufficiently prepared.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:31 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Lasers wrote:also, are there an inordinate amount of people here that are overly prepared to take this october test?

Relax. TLS is a classic case of self-selection bias. We're an unrepresentative sample. I'd imagine that the vast majority of test-takers are going to be insufficiently prepared.

This. Also, the curve isn't based on how well/badly everyone else does (not completely at least...there are a million threads on here debating how exactly it's determined)

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 am

Schedule for tomorrow:

730 am wake up
745 eat oatmeal with some yummy maple syrup ( I splurged just for the test)
800 do a timed game section
9-930 stare at the wall
930 take a practice test
1pm score test and eat lunch
130 go over missed questions and contemplate getting a managerial job at Mc Donalds
2 watch the OU v TX game while doing all the Assumption, method of reasoning, flaw in argument questions in the powerscore hw book
Keep doing this until midnight then repeat

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 am

Lasers wrote:
2014 wrote:Oh I'm also on board with the high curve. Honestly fundamentally all of my mistakes are careless errors where I go back and understand perfectly well why the correct answer was correct. In some cases I still like the answer I chose, but in the majority of them, it comes down to I misread.

Since I believe I will misread roughly the same amount of questions regardless of difficulty, might as well have a good sized curve to help balance it out a bit :p

Plus on PTs I have not noticed -10 tests being any easier than -12 or -14s. I always end up 2-3 points higher on the "harder" tests because of the curve.

seriously!

i can't tell the difference between a hard test and an easy one. all a "harder" test does for me is allow me to score a few points higher.

i hope the test, especially the logic games, are brutal. :D

+1...I was awful PT-ing June 2007 and it was supposed to be "easy" and killed PT55 which was supposed to be super hard. A -9 curve on a 101 test question would be a nightmare / knee to the crotch.

Postby 2014 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:42 am

Lasers wrote:i take it back that the older LR were easier than the newer ones.

got -6 (PT59) and -4 (PT52) last 2 PT's i took. so the LR in the 50's are easier...or i'm just improving? i can't tell anymore.

Which of the following represents a flaw in the author's argument?
a. It generalizes based on too small of a sample.

Sorry I couldn't help it :p
I don't disagree with you though, I think the 50's are at least no harder than the earlier ones.

Oh and yeah the people on TLS are way WAY more prepared than the average test taker. As the nice people at Kaplan who tried to get me to take a class with them said "By showing up here to take even one practice test, you are already ahead of the majority of the test takers. Most people show up without having ever seen an LSAT"

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

Yeah, I know two people taking the test. One of them hadn't started studying by late August, the other I'm not sure when she's studying but we're taking a test together on Monday, haha. She said we can do whatever test I want since she hasn't done very many at all. I've done about... 25 in full, lots more just in "section work."

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 am

Can anyone suggest some last minute LR studying? I thought I had it down, but I've ranged from -0 to -5 combined on recent PTs. I finished the LRB a month ago and have skimmed it briefly since then. Only other general study book I have is Superprep. I've taken every PT from 24 to 57, so I can't drill with sections from any remotely recent tests (taking 58 through 60 in the next week). Suggestions? Should I just keep thoroughly reviewing my mistakes? Pick up another book from Borders on my lunch break? Or is it too close to the test to start something new?

Rudy

Postby Rudy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Just did my first full length in literally 2 months (retaking from June)- 175! LR-0, LG-2, LR-3, RC-1.

Fatigue was a a little bit of a factor so I'll have to make sure to do five section tests before next Saturday (T-8) if I can squeeze them in. I must say, doing 30 minute sections and 8 minute logic games (individual games) intermittently for the summer seems to be paying off.

lparker

Postby lparker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Can anyone suggest some last minute LR studying? I thought I had it down, but I've ranged from -0 to -5 combined on recent PTs. I finished the LRB a month ago and have skimmed it briefly since then. Only other general study book I have is Superprep. I've taken every PT from 24 to 57, so I can't drill with sections from any remotely recent tests (taking 58 through 60 in the next week). Suggestions? Should I just keep thoroughly reviewing my mistakes? Pick up another book from Borders on my lunch break? Or is it too close to the test to start something new?

Personally, I'd review the LRB again (maybe just read the chapter summaries) and review mistakes...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

Bring on the damn test already!!!

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:28 am

psychlaw wrote:Schedule for tomorrow:

730 am wake up
745 eat oatmeal with some yummy maple syrup ( I splurged just for the test)
800 do a timed game section
9-930 stare at the wall
930 take a practice test
1pm score test and eat lunch
130 go over missed questions and contemplate getting a managerial job at Mc Donalds
2 watch the OU v TX game while doing all the Assumption, method of reasoning, flaw in argument questions in the powerscore hw book
Keep doing this until midnight then repeat

My plan for tomorrow:
7:00 wake up, shower, get dressed
7:15 drink a protein drink, a small can of green beans, and a small cup of coffee (hi protein, low carb=helps me stay mentally focused)
7:30 depart for testing center, arrive, make sure I can find it in the future, return home
9:00 quick review 1 LG, 5-10 LR Q's, 1 RC passage.
9:30 Taking December 2009
12:00 Score & relax
1:45 going through any missed Q's, including completely redoing any game or passage that has -1 or more

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am

Just a heads up to the people of TLS. DONT come on TLS the day and ,especially, the night before the test.

Panic threads appear and they can really mess with your head. Im serious. Dont come on here looking for any last minute advice because all you'll find is panic and fear. That will hurt a lot of people because it will force them to question their own test taking ability. This happened to me last year. I came on the night before and I saw all the panic threads and started to panic myself. The "reality" hit me that night and I didnt sleep well and subsequently got nerves the next morning to the point that I threw up before the test. Im not a nervous/panicky guy, so what happened that morning was out of the usual.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with todays prep.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:16 pm

2014 wrote:
Lasers wrote:i take it back that the older LR were easier than the newer ones.

got -6 (PT59) and -4 (PT52) last 2 PT's i took. so the LR in the 50's are easier...or i'm just improving? i can't tell anymore.

Which of the following represents a flaw in the author's argument?
a. It generalizes based on too small of a sample.

hahha.

but, if there's one thing i've taken note of, too small a sample size is rarely ever the answer on the lsat. :P

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Finallyyy scored a 180 on PT58 after experiencing wild fluctuations in the 50s :D . -0 LR1, -0 RC, -1 LG (stupid mistake), -1 LR2.

I think my new slow-reading strategy for RC is really paying off...haven't gotten more than 1 wrong on RC for the last 4 PTs (and 2 independent RC sections).

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:21 pm

gdane5 wrote:Just a heads up to the people of TLS. DONT come on TLS the day and ,especially, the night before the test.

Panic threads appear and they can really mess with your head. Im serious. Dont come on here looking for any last minute advice because all you'll find is panic and fear. That will hurt a lot of people because it will force them to question their own test taking ability. This happened to me last year. I came on the night before and I saw all the panic threads and started to panic myself. The "reality" hit me that night and I didnt sleep well and subsequently got nerves the next morning to the point that I threw up before the test. Im not a nervous/panicky guy, so what happened that morning was out of the usual.

Thanks, I probably would have done this LOL. What do you recommend the day before? Very light review of technique (assumption, agree/disagree)? Watch a movie?
What is good to take the night before? I am one of those sleep-worry people. I find when I wake up that my mind has been racing all night.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh boy. Took PT 54 (have 56, 58, 59, 60 left over) and got a 168. Oy. It's definitely my average--with a few outliers in both directions. Balls. I really want a 170+ and this is making me batshit. Stupid mistakes mostly all in LR. Finally got RC back down where I wanted to -1. Though of course I want -0!

Saturday--56
Sunday--60
Tuesday--58
Thursday--59

I find that I always get rusty on LR if I don't do it for even a day.

Also, today I did sections from random tests..39, 43 mixed together and I was wildly inconsistent. I don't know what it could be. LR was -7! and RC was -6! I don't know why but RC earlier than the 50s kills me-I do best on 50+ consistently. Same thing with LR to some extent. LG is holding steady at -1 at worst.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:26 pm

yzero1 wrote:Finallyyy scored a 180 on PT58 after experiencing wild fluctuations in the 50s :D . -0 LR1, -0 RC, -1 LG (stupid mistake), -1 LR2.

I think my new slow-reading strategy for RC is really paying off...haven't gotten more than 1 wrong on RC for the last 4 PTs (and 2 independent RC sections).

Wow, I'm impressed. I found 58 to be a pain... I scored a 175. I think I said previously that anyone that can score a 180 on 57 or 58 is much smarter than I am, so.... :D I tip my hat to you.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
yzero1 wrote:Finallyyy scored a 180 on PT58 after experiencing wild fluctuations in the 50s :D . -0 LR1, -0 RC, -1 LG (stupid mistake), -1 LR2.

Wow, I'm impressed. I found 58 to be a pain... I scored a 175. I think I said previously that anyone that can score a 180 on 57 or 58 is much smarter than I am, so.... :D I tip my hat to you.

To be honest, I found 58 fairly difficult as well. In fact, I was so scared that I bombed it that it took me 30 minutes to muster up the courage to mark it.

Several of the questions took me a really long time to answer.. for ex. the bear question (didn't catch the reference to the WHOLE area until I had 3 mins left in the section), the crater question, some questions on the third game, and a few questions on the intellectual property passage.

I guess sometimes you can get lucky even when you feel uneasy about the test.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:17 pm

So I just realized today is not Saturday. WTF is anyone else getting this frazzled? Its nap time

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:33 pm

txadv11 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Just a heads up to the people of TLS. DONT come on TLS the day and ,especially, the night before the test.

Thanks, I probably would have done this LOL. What do you recommend the day before? Very light review of technique (assumption, agree/disagree)? Watch a movie?
What is good to take the night before? I am one of those sleep-worry people. I find when I wake up that my mind has been racing all night.

All of this week and all of next week I'm waking up at 6:30 AM to get myself used to waking up that early. I'm taking Friday off work, but will still wake up at 6:30 (crucial for making sure I'm tired that evening). I plan on going for a long run in the morning, doing some chores around my apartment, making myself a healthy lunch and dinner, watching a movie and reading books and magazines. I may do a handful of problems of each question type, but I'll steer clear of TLS. I'm going to make dinner early, maybe 7:00 PM, then get in bed by 9:00 or 9:30 to ensure I fall asleep before 10:00.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

All of this week and all of next week I'm waking up at 6:30 AM to get myself used to waking up that early. I'm taking Friday off work, but will still wake up at 6:30 (crucial for making sure I'm tired that evening). I plan on going for a long run in the morning, doing some chores around my apartment, making myself a healthy lunch and dinner, watching a movie and reading books and magazines. I may do a handful of problems of each question type, but I'll steer clear of TLS. I'm going to make dinner early, maybe 7:00 PM, then get in bed by 9:00 or 9:30 to ensure I fall asleep before 10:00.

great plan!

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Just got a care package from my mom. Homemade brownies mmmmm I really dont care about the test at this moment in time. :P :D

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:08 pm

yzero1 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

To be honest, I found 58 fairly difficult as well. In fact, I was so scared that I bombed it that it took me 30 minutes to muster up the courage to mark it.

Several of the questions took me a really long time to answer.. for ex. the bear question (didn't catch the reference to the WHOLE area until I had 3 mins left in the section), the crater question, some questions on the third game, and a few questions on the intellectual property passage.

I guess sometimes you can get lucky even when you feel uneasy about the test.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When you're scoring in this range, a few tough questions that could go either way can make a radical difference in your score.

I'll be really interested to see how you do on PT59. I found 59 much easier than 57 and 58, and plus the curve is insanely generous.

lparker

Postby lparker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. When you're scoring in this range, a few tough questions that could go either way can make a radical difference in your score.

I'll be really interested to see how you do on PT59. I found 59 much easier than 57 and 58, and plus the curve is insanely generous.

I just realized that was you... I get used to people's avatars.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”