October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
lennonist
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lennonist » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Taking June 2007 today. I heard its got a killer curve but hopefully I can smoke it. Feel really good about this. 170+


Are you kidding me......

June 2007
LG -2 Was perfect until like always, needed an extra 1 or 2 mins to finish the last 2 or 3 questions....
LR -2
LR -2
RC -3 Freakin pollen. Took way too long on Passage 1 (11 mins) which ran out of time passage 4. Same ole stuff...

91/169 My best raw score ever and tie for my best scaled score. If I can figure out how to get a little faster on RC and LG looks good. Also I looked up this test when I first decided to take the lsat, last July. While some of it was vaguely familiar, i didnt remember any particular answer and I think if anything it served to mess me up by vaguely remembering something about it. It was more I remembered that I had read the question about police/morality before, but nothing to the sort of what I answered/got wrong/right ...


Wow. What the heck is the curve on that test?! Congrats on that score though.


-8 was a 170. Didnt think it was a hard test.


Did atrociously on Jun 07 earlier today after failing to wake up at 7am. 82 raw/162 scaled. RC and LG weren't bad. But LR killed me with -11 on both sections total. Scary how these PT50+ tests are harder in LR than the older tests....still trying to adjust and at the same time not to worry that I can't replicate my 175 from several weeks back. Thinking of jumping to PT 58, 59, and 60, instead of doing the chronological 51, 52, etc.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:01 pm

PT 56

93/100 = 174 scaled (+3 from average!)

And for those of you using the free LSAT Cacophony MP3, does it sound like someone is having a reluctant orgasm about 5 minutes in? ("UUUOOOHHHH") To prepare for the possibility of someone actually making this noise on test day, I am putting a paper weight in my gallon plastic baggie. I will not hesitate to hurl that thing at a noise making individual.

almostthereee
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby almostthereee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Lol I think its meant as a groan in response to that chick coughing. I'm bringing earplugs on test day.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 pm

I personally think the 50s LR is much easier than earlier LR - easier to use POE, much less convoluted reasoning/wording, and while there are more questions that require you to dig down and diagram maybe or think on many different levels, I think they are easier. That being said Im still missing 2 per section :oops:

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 pm

almostthereee wrote:Lol I think its meant as a groan in response to that chick coughing. I'm bringing earplugs on test day.


not allowed.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby akili » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
And for those of you using the free LSAT Cacophony MP3, does it sound like someone is having a reluctant orgasm about 5 minutes in? ("UUUOOOHHHH") To prepare for the possibility of someone actually making this noise on test day, I am putting a paper weight in my gallon plastic baggie. I will not hesitate to hurl that thing at a noise making individual.


LMAO

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Ew, PT 57's LR kicked my butt. -6 altogether :O. My brain was totally not in the mood for LR though, I felt dead through the entire test and considered not doing it but there's really no time to make up any tests now, soooo I just went for it.

94 raw, 174 scaled. -0LG (mauve dinosaurs!), -3LR, -3LR, -1RC (damn fractals).

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey there, eit. I'm not going so far as to say that I was rooting against you, but it does make me feel better that your experience with 57 mirrors mine pretty closely because I had a hard time with 57, too. I scored 174, as well.

The LR is rather vicious, isn't it? Which ones did you miss? I wonder if we missed any of the same ones.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Hey there, eit. I'm not going so far as to say that I was rooting against you, but it does make me feel better that your experience with 57 mirrors mine pretty closely because I had a hard time with 57, too. I scored 174, as well.

The LR is rather vicious, isn't it? Which ones did you miss? I wonder if we missed any of the same ones.


I missed #12 (picked B), #19 (picked d), #22 (picked B) in the first one, then #12 (picked B), #21 (picked A), #25 (picked E).

I'm relieved that other people had issues with PT 57 well. Having a bad PT sucks, but it's less depressing when other people struggled with the PT as well.

I'd be happy with a 174 on the real exam - I just want to practice as high as possible in case there's a drop from my PT scores on the real thing, which seems very possible if not entirely likely.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm

eit wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Hey there, eit. I'm not going so far as to say that I was rooting against you, but it does make me feel better that your experience with 57 mirrors mine pretty closely because I had a hard time with 57, too. I scored 174, as well.

The LR is rather vicious, isn't it? Which ones did you miss? I wonder if we missed any of the same ones.


I missed #12 (picked B), #19 (picked d), #22 (picked B) in the first one, then #12 (picked B), #21 (picked A), #25 (picked E).

I'm relieved that other people had issues with PT 57 well. Having a bad PT sucks, but it's less depressing when other people struggled with the PT as well.

I'd be happy with a 174 on the real exam - I just want to practice as high as possible in case there's a drop from my PT scores on the real thing, which seems very possible if not entirely likely.


Ah. I did miss #22 in LR1 and #25 in LR2. That #25 was terrible, I knew I had missed it right away.

And I feel the same as you do; I would take a 174 on the real thing but I want to go into the test with a comfortable margin of error.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:36 pm

i dont think you will sore lower than your pt on the real thing as long as you take the pts under as realistic testing conditions as possible, dont look at the answer sheet until yo ufinished all 5 sections, dont freak out on test day, or suffer a case of the nerves, and you keep up your confidence to a level slightly below cocky ( well be as cocky as you want... just go in there with a im about to drop kick this lsat into plutos orbital sphere, spinning at such at an average of 180 revoltuions per nanosecond)..

EIt and all the rest... You got this test down... i know you will all rock it on the 9th.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:40 pm

northwood wrote:i dont think you will sore lower than your pt on the real thing as long as you take the pts under as realistic testing conditions as possible, dont look at the answer sheet until yo ufinished all 5 sections, dont freak out on test day, or suffer a case of the nerves, and you keep up your confidence to a level slightly below cocky ( well be as cocky as you want... just go in there with a im about to drop kick this lsat into plutos orbital sphere, spinning at such at an average of 180 revoltuions per nanosecond)..

EIt and all the rest... You got this test down... i know you will all rock it on the 9th.


LOL I have had such a hard time not doing that. I try to do it every time but sometimes when I know my brain is dead and I'm just not capable of a proper simulation I sneak a peek haha... but don't really consider that to be a proper testing simulation, so eh, it all balances out. I'm taking a mock on this Saturday with the PR, as well as doing a PT with a friend on Monday. So hopefully those will all help me get into the simulation and see how well I can do under those conditions.

I'm slightly worried I'm going to be taking too many PTs in too short a time. Based on my schedule, I have 4 PTs left, really (58, 59, 60, mock on Saturday). My plan is to take 58 Friday, mock Saturday, Sunday off, Monday 59, Tuesday off, Wednesday 60, Thursday off, Friday off.

And by off I mean not doing a Prep Test, but drilling other sections or just doing even a little bit (like a couple games) to stay sharp.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 pm

you;ll be fine.. I only have 2 tests left that I havent taken yet. ( I too sometimes look at the sections after I take them.... but only on RC- ) IM taking one saturday, and one tuesday, doing test review sunday and wednesday, and drilling until test day. ( Im goign to drill for an hour or 2 on friday, then go watch a movie)

Still think were going to rock it..

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 pm

northwood wrote:you;ll be fine.. I only have 2 tests left that I havent taken yet. ( I too sometimes look at the sections after I take them.... but only on RC- ) IM taking one saturday, and one tuesday, doing test review sunday and wednesday, and drilling until test day. ( Im goign to drill for an hour or 2 on friday, then go watch a movie)

Still think were going to rock it..


Thanks for being so optimistic, I need the encouragement after 57 and 58... I'm doing 59 tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
northwood wrote:you;ll be fine.. I only have 2 tests left that I havent taken yet. ( I too sometimes look at the sections after I take them.... but only on RC- ) IM taking one saturday, and one tuesday, doing test review sunday and wednesday, and drilling until test day. ( Im goign to drill for an hour or 2 on friday, then go watch a movie)

Still think were going to rock it..


Thanks for being so optimistic, I need the encouragement after 57 and 58... I'm doing 59 tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.


What did you get on 58? I'm taking 58 on Friday.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:24 pm

eit wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
northwood wrote:you;ll be fine.. I only have 2 tests left that I havent taken yet. ( I too sometimes look at the sections after I take them.... but only on RC- ) IM taking one saturday, and one tuesday, doing test review sunday and wednesday, and drilling until test day. ( Im goign to drill for an hour or 2 on friday, then go watch a movie)

Still think were going to rock it..


Thanks for being so optimistic, I need the encouragement after 57 and 58... I'm doing 59 tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.


What did you get on 58? I'm taking 58 on Friday.


-6, 175. -4 on LR, -1 on LG, and -1 on RC. I'm really hating the LR on these recent tests.

LR was my best section in most of the PTs up until 57 and 58. I used to get between -0 and -2 combined. Now it has probably been my worst area.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Urgh. Yeah. I'm the most worried about LR. I'm getting up early tomorrow to drill the Cambridge difficult questions packet before my first class.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 pm

doing 57 tomorrow, 58 on sat morning, 59 on tuesday and 60 on thurs. friday im doing nothing at al, but on the other "off" days im doing what eit is doing, drilling sections.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm

I did PT 57 today, too.
eit wrote:
I missed #12 (picked B), #19 (picked d), #22 (picked B) in the first one, then #12 (picked B), #21 (picked A), #25 (picked E).


You're talking about PT 57, second LR section #25 you got wrong? About softward. The correct answer was E. Maybe you just gained a point? :-D

But I missed a lot of the same one as you did. Overall -10 and 171. That would make me pretty happy on the real thing. I did 28 minute sections today to simulate nervousness. I think it worked!

Also, is this the dino game people keep talking about? I thought it was fun... :oops: Maybe I just like the word mauve.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 pm

I just went over my 7 mistakes on LR LR and RC of June 2007

Like I said after the test when I saw the curve - are you kidding me?

I missed one main conclusion question because one answer was so tantalizingly easy that I thought it was a trap thrown in by LSAC. Another one I selected was so blatantly wrong it wasnt even funny but I was pressed for time. One of my mistakes on RC was because I clearly did not find the word "emotion" smack dab at the top of passage 1 in CR and knowingly selected what looked to be a trap answer.

Dirty LSAC tricksters. Once you know the material, im convinced that your level of mistakes comes down to you falling for these trap/trick answer choices that are wrong. I have to realize: RC is not the SAT, its not all cookie cutter and some ofthe answers that seem that way are traps because they play off of your feeling of "oh i just read this passage in 2 minutes, I remember that" and not making yourself think "This from the passage is direct evidence that X is correct"

LR is similar. There are always going to be 4 flat out wrong answers that do not fit what they are looking for - selection of any of them once you get down to -1/-2 seems to be nothing more than letting your mind slip and falling for a trap answer. Does the stimulus REALLY say what the answer choice says it does? What does this complex stimulus really say ? Does the author HAVE to believe this assumption in order to proceed?

Seems to me like once you can get to -1/-2 a section, -0 IS possible obviously - you just must maintain mental focus. I think I am going to apply some conscious method throughout the test to ensure that I'm not just falling for the traps.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I did PT 57 today, too.
eit wrote:
I missed #12 (picked B), #19 (picked d), #22 (picked B) in the first one, then #12 (picked B), #21 (picked A), #25 (picked E).


You're talking about PT 57, second LR section #25 you got wrong? About softward. The correct answer was E. Maybe you just gained a point? :-D

But I missed a lot of the same one as you did. Overall -10 and 171. That would make me pretty happy on the real thing. I did 28 minute sections today to simulate nervousness. I think it worked!

Also, is this the dino game people keep talking about? I thought it was fun... :oops: Maybe I just like the word mauve.


Um, I don't even know. I think I got 25 wrong in RC and that's why I wrote 25... but I did get 3 wrong regardless in that section so no points gained haha, wtf.

28 minute sections is a good idea. I would be freaked out on games, probably okay on LR and RC.

afLSAT
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby afLSAT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:53 pm

OK guys, what do you think? My performance has been very inconsistent . . . Though I realized that my performance improves when I take tests on mornings when I'm staying at my own house, without my girlfriend. (Not that it's her fault -- it's just easier to focus when I wake up on my own.)

Based on this, what do you think my chances are of beating 172 on test day?

I only have PT 59 and 60 left to take.

9/30 . . . . . PT 46 . . . . . 176 <-- first time I've ever finished all four games, and only -1 LG!
9/27 . . . . . PT 56 . . . . . 165
9/24 . . . . . PT 55 . . . . . 172
9/21 . . . . . PT 54 . . . . . 176
9/18 . . . . . PT 52 . . . . . 164
9/15 . . . . . PT 51 . . . . . 168
9/12 . . . . . PT 34 . . . . . 167
9/10 . . . . . PT 50 . . . . . 172
9/8 . . . . . PT 49 . . . . . 170

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Pt 57 today. Whoo! Im definitely hot. 80 raw, 163 scaled. More importantly, I obliterated LG's. That includes the dino game. I didnt find it hard. At all. Lucky me I guess since a lot of people had trouble on it.

Im disappointed though because I made 2 stupid mistakes on LG and due to reading too quickly on LR, I missed 3 I shouldnt have missed. Ah, an 85 raw, 166 wouldve been awesome!!!

In any case, tomorrows a day off. Ill be going over this test for the next 2 days and drilling. Getting up early on Saturday and mimicking LSAT day.

I'll go from there.

Good luck everyone!

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 pm

I did PT59 today and I found it a bit easier than 57 and 58. And the curve is ridiculous: I scored -4 which scales to a 179!

I missed 1 on LG, which I can't seem to avoid doing, and 3 on RC, so after struggling with LR on the last 2 tests, I double-perfected the LR this time around. :)

I love that I got a 179 but I'm sure I can't expect a curve like that in October. Seriously, how do they come up with these scales? 170 is -14!

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I took PT 57 this morning.

LG (exp.): -4, LG: -3, LR1: -1, LR2: -4, RC: 1. Raw: 92. Scaled: 172.

The dino game definitely slowed me down; all of my wrong LG answers were from rushing through the last game. Fractals was a tricky passage, but my only error came from the passage about the female novelist... excuse me, narrative-ist! One, maybe two of my LR mistakes were from misreading the stimulus or stem. Why do I still do that?

In my defense, I had some annoying distractions during the test. I was interrupted by a coworker (had to take it at the office right before work) and was running around the office doing work during my break. Hopefully that explains the poor performance.

My last ten PTs have been 171, 175, 176, 176, 180, 174, 171, 174, 178, 172. Why can't I consistently score above 175? I would really love if my next three PTs were 175-180, but I'm going to try to remain calm if that doesn't happen. For what it's worth, I only gave myself 33 minutes per section for my two most recent PTs and 34 minutes for the seven before that. I've been doing that to account for test-day nerves, but after seeing that someone on here did 28 minute sections I realize I'm only doing the lightweight version. :|




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trooper10538 and 3 guests