October 2010 Test Prep

peterb0y

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby peterb0y » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 pm

^ seriously, this is getting stupid... can we get back to lsat talk?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I tried to go to bed at 11 last night (2 hours earlier than my norm), but my new neighbor is so loud. I could hear her talking on the phone from my room. What a jerk! Then for some reason I had trouble sleeping past 5 am this morning. I literally woke up at 5 am and couldn't fall back to sleep. I so wanted to take PT 59 today. I guess it'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Anyone else struggling to adjust their sleep schedule? I'm an incredibly light sleeper :(

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:44 pm

I've been going to bed at 3am these past few days and I can't help it. I tried to sleep last night at 1 and then there I was browsing LSN at 2:30. I think I need to force myself to wake up earlier, but If I wake up at 7:30 I will have only had about 4-5 hours of sleep. I think I might need to resort to wine and ramen tonight to get to bed at a reasonable time.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:45 pm

dhrizek wrote:I've been going to bed at 3am these past few days and I can't help it. I tried to sleep last night at 1 and then there I was browsing LSN at 2:30. I think I need to force myself to wake up earlier, but If I wake up at 7:30 I will have only had about 4-5 hours of sleep. I think I might need to resort to wine and ramen tonight to get to bed at a reasonable time.

I take sleeping pills. I literally have to take sleeping pills every night to sleep. It's not like I'm worried or anything. I just can't relax my mind.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Ya, thats why I want to avoid sleeping pills, I don't want to build up dependence.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:56 pm

dhrizek wrote:Ya, thats why I want to avoid sleeping pills, I don't want to build up dependence.

Even before I took sleeping pills, I needed to lay in bed for at least 2 hours before I could actually fall asleep. I think I'm better off now than I was before.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

3|ink wrote:
dhrizek wrote:Ya, thats why I want to avoid sleeping pills, I don't want to build up dependence.

Even before I took sleeping pills, I needed to lay in bed for at least 2 hours before I could actually fall asleep. I think I'm better off now than I was before.

How much and how regularly do you exercise? By default, I'm a terribly light sleeper and need at least half an hour or as much as an hour before I can fall asleep. However, as long as I faithfully keep my workout regime, I have substantially less trouble falling and staying asleep.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Cromartie wrote:
3|ink wrote:

How much and how regularly do you exercise? By default, I'm a terribly light sleeper and need at least half an hour or as much as an hour before I can fall asleep. However, as long as I faithfully keep my workout regime, I have substantially less trouble falling and staying asleep.

Since I've been studying for the LSAT, not very much. I used to run every day, but I run about twice a week now. Still, even when I was running daily I was having these issues.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:15 pm

I cant seem to get to sleep early enough nor actually wakeup when my alarm goes off. This sucks.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I cant seem to get to sleep early enough nor actually wakeup when my alarm goes off. This sucks.

Will join this club :roll:

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm

I take 5 mg of Melatonin with Theanine. That knocks me out soundly in about 45 minutes. Then my cats wake me up at 630 am to feed them...
I also work out every night from 9:30 to 10:30. This probably helps.

So, WOWOWOW!!! 165 on PT 55 today. A new high! However, there is one major thing that Im sorely disappointed about. A -10 on LR 1 (1st section of PT). I got a combined -5 on the other 3 sections, including a -0 on LG and it brings me great shame to have gotten a -10 on the first section.

The funny thing is that I felt very uncomfortable during this test. Extrememly uncomfortable. Both LR's left me with bad feelings and I just didnt feel into the test. I got a big surprise to see a -2 on LR 2 and a -0 on LG. I was laughing and in disbelief as I graded my test. Haha!

I have to figure out what went wrong on that first section. Theres such a huge discrepancy its just not right. Maybe that was my "warm up" section?

In any case, today's results are very encouraging and it tops the previous high of 164 that I set this past Thursday. I wish I didnt have to take a day off tomorrow, but maybe that will help. I really need to go over this test in detail. Even though I was close to perfect on the last 3 sections, I felt extremely uncomortable and I wasnt confident in most of my answers. To have gotten as many as I got correct was a huge surprise to me. LG was easy as hell though. Those games were a joke.

Good luck everyone!

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:20 pm

3|ink wrote:
Cromartie wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Since I've been studying for the LSAT, not very much. I used to run every day, but I run about twice a week now. Still, even when I was running daily I was having these issues.

Is it mainly because you have so many thoughts running around your mind keeping you from falling asleep? Audiobooks have been a lifesaver for me when I encounter this issue. I have this one incredibly boring audiobook called Quicksilver that's my go-to guy. Forcing myself to listen to the narrator puts all the other thoughts out of the picture, and by around Chapter 2 or so, I'm off to dreamland.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:22 pm

gdane5 wrote:I take 5 mg of Melatonin with Theanine. That knocks me out soundly in about 45 minutes. Then my cats wake me up at 630 am to feed them...
I also work out every night from 9:30 to 10:30. This probably helps.

So, WOWOWOW!!! 165 on PT 55 today. A new high! However, there is one major thing that Im sorely disappointed about. A -10 on LR 1 (1st section of PT). I got a combined -5 on the other 3 sections, including a -0 on LG and it brings me great shame to have gotten a -10 on the first section.

The funny thing is that I felt very uncomfortable during this test. Extrememly uncomfortable. Both LR's left me with bad feelings and I just didnt feel into the test. I got a big surprise to see a -2 on LR 2 and a -0 on LG. I was laughing and in disbelief as I graded my test. Haha!

I have to figure out what went wrong on that first section. Theres such a huge discrepancy its just not right. Maybe that was my "warm up" section?

In any case, today's results are very encouraging and it tops the previous high of 164 that I set this past Thursday. I wish I didnt have to take a day off tomorrow, but maybe that will help. I really need to go over this test in detail. Even though I was close to perfect on the last 3 sections, I felt extremely uncomortable and I wasnt confident in most of my answers. To have gotten as many as I got correct was a huge surprise to me. LG was easy as hell though. Those games were a joke.

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on the score. I could never get away with working out past 8 pm at night. My body just naturally takes way too long to wind down and I end up not being able to sleep until 2 or 3 am. I have found that 5-6 pm is the optimal time for me to work out.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:22 pm

lol. Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson?

Is the book just boring or is it the narrator that puts you to sleep?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm

Its the best time for me to work out. I work out hardcore for about an hour (although sometimes not as hardcore because I feel lazy) and then I walk my dog for 30-45 minutes. I get back inside at roughly 11:15, take a shower, brush my teeth, get comfy and Im in bed by 12:00 at the latest. I then go over whatever LSAT work I did that day and I stop by 1:30 cause I usually feel ready to knock out. Haha!

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Adjudicator wrote:lol. Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson?

Is the book just boring or is it the narrator that puts you to sleep?

Yup, this exact book. Volume 1 of his Baroque Cycle. It was very hyped when it first came out on Audible and I had such high hopes. Initially, I thought it was a complete waste of a credit, but it helps me go to sleep, so it has its purpose.

I think it's a combination of the book and narrator being boring. Or maybe it just doesn't translate well to an audio format.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Cromartie wrote:Is it mainly because you have so many thoughts running around your mind keeping you from falling asleep? Audiobooks have been a lifesaver for me when I encounter this issue. I have this one incredibly boring audiobook called Quicksilver that's my go-to guy. Forcing myself to listen to the narrator puts all the other thoughts out of the picture, and by around Chapter 2 or so, I'm off to dreamland.

Thanks for the idea. That might do the trick.

lparker

Postby lparker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 pm

3|ink wrote:Thanks for the idea. That might do the trick.

I watched season one of Deadwood. But, it got cancelled, right? I was thinking of Netflixing season two, but I don't think I will if it's just going to prematurely end. I didn't totally love it either.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Cromartie wrote:I have this one incredibly boring audiobook called Quicksilver that's my go-to guy. Forcing myself to listen to the narrator puts all the other thoughts out of the picture, and by around Chapter 2 or so, I'm off to dreamland.

By Neal Stephenson?

I was looking forward to reading that...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm

lparker wrote:
3|ink wrote:Thanks for the idea. That might do the trick.

I watched season one of Deadwood. But, it got cancelled, right? I was thinking of Netflixing season two, but I don't think I will if it's just going to prematurely end. I didn't totally love it either.

It gets better in later seasons. The first season was kind of cliche for my tastes.

It does kind of end abruptly I'm afraid. Swearengenwas the only character carrying the show.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:06 pm

dhrizek wrote:
Cromartie wrote:I have this one incredibly boring audiobook called Quicksilver that's my go-to guy. Forcing myself to listen to the narrator puts all the other thoughts out of the picture, and by around Chapter 2 or so, I'm off to dreamland.

By Neal Stephenson?

I was looking forward to reading that...

Well, you know it just might work for you, and maybe it's better in print than in audio. It just seems to be too scattered and too dry for my liking. I have read some reviews that said this was only true for the first 1/3 of the book and it gets better towards the middle. Problem is (but luckily for me in this context), I am fast asleep by Chapter 2 every single time.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 pm

3|ink wrote:
Cromartie wrote:Is it mainly because you have so many thoughts running around your mind keeping you from falling asleep? Audiobooks have been a lifesaver for me when I encounter this issue. I have this one incredibly boring audiobook called Quicksilver that's my go-to guy. Forcing myself to listen to the narrator puts all the other thoughts out of the picture, and by around Chapter 2 or so, I'm off to dreamland.

Thanks for the idea. That might do the trick.

Cool. Just make sure you pick the right book, and not one which calls for the narrator to suddenly get animated in certain sections... boring book + boring narrator = sweet dreams.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:11 pm

I will be consuming a couple glasses of 1-hour energy drink and 2 stalks of sugar cane as breakfast, day of the test.
Wanna make sure I'm alert goin' into it, yaknowmean?

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Did PT 48 w/ exp section today. 172. (My first ever -0/-0 on LR)
Ran out of time with 3 Q's left on RC, and wasn't able to answer 2 Q's on LG in time.
Woulda been 177 if I had time for the 3 RC questions that took me 2 mins to answer (correctly) after the test was over, so if I'd done it DURING the test when the section was slightly more fresh, maybe 1:30?

Gonna start reading for an hour in the early evening. Printed text. My head switches gears when I'm looking at a computer screen, and I swear that reading becomes totally different. I need to build my speed/endurance.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:I will be consuming a couple glasses of 1-hour energy drink and 2 stalks of sugar cane as breakfast, day of the test.
Wanna make sure I'm alert goin' into it, yaknowmean?

I hear that Chrystal Meth is equally effective.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”