October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
Feeny
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Feeny » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 am

Needs more choline.
Last edited by Feeny on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:38 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:If you want my advice, eat eggs for breakfast. Don't eat a lot of carbs. Carbs will induce higher tryptophan levels which dull your alertness and can make you drowsy later. Eating some eggs (and bacon, if you like) will keep you full all morning and leave your mind alert. Also, eggs are the richest food source of choline, which is believed to improve cognitive function.

For the snack, if I bring anything it will probably be some landjaeger (dried sausage.)


what you eat DOES NOT matter.


You sound defensive. Let me guess; vegetarian? Vegan? :D


No, it just seems that people are way overthinking this thing. And in my experience this type of micromanagement leads to test day anxiety. Also, don't take a sausage to the testing center lol.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 am

2014 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
lastch2 wrote:hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while bc school is kicking my ass, but it's getting close to test day and that freaks me out and TLS helps me cope :oops:

Has any/everyone got their gameday schedule ready?? i've been trying to finalize mine, the early morning thing really freaks me out. I read on here about using 5 hour energy..my next PT is tuesday morning so i think i might try that. anyways, it's good to be back on TLS the LSAT nightmares have kicked in already, and i'm pretty sure my friends and family are convinced i've completely lost it!! good luck to everyone, and congrats to everyone hitting their score range!!


Not sure of my schedule yet but I'll be replicating it on Thursday, October 7, with PT 60. I'm seriously planning on waking up at 5am for test day so my mind will be AWAKE and ACTIVE and in its "peak operating hours," lol.

What's a good, strong breakfast meal?
Also, what's a really good snack for the 15 minutes break?


Why in the hell would you wake up at 5 am if you don't do that on a regular day?

I can see where he is coming from. If on a normal day you wake up at 8 and aren't fully functioning till noon, then to be fully functioning by 9 you would want to be up by 5.

I normally am up at 8:00-8:30 but I'll set my alarm for 7:00 at the latest on day of.

I also want time to go get breakfast somewhere, probably BK given they have the best breakfast commercial campaign going right now.


lol I am definitely fulling functioning WAY before noon. Although I wake up at 7 every day. Either way it will take breakfast and a half hour to get me fully functioning and messing with your routine so severely and just sitting around thinking about the test is going to hurt you.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:28 am

As a vegetarian, I'm relying on Clif bars, bananas, and almonds to carry me through. A nice blend of potassium, protein, yumminess, and some more protein.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 am

I'll probably do a protein bar over the break, too. Or maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm a fan of 5Hour Energy, but I'm sticking to water on test day. All very healthy... I'm sure that's going to go downhill fast post-test.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am

lparker wrote:I'll probably do a protein bar over the break, too. Or maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm a fan of 5Hour Energy, but I'm sticking to water on test day. All very healthy... I'm sure that's going to go downhill fast post-test.


I'm bringing in a Vitamin Water. I know the vitamins/benefits are probably negligible, I just like the taste.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 am

Do whatever makes you happy. My plan is eggs with ham and cheese, followed by a can of tuna, followed by a bowl of natural/non sugary oatmeal. A protein bar and a banana during the break and Im good to go back to work.

Its going to be such a fun day. I cant wait!

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 am

gdane5 wrote:Do whatever makes you happy. My plan is eggs with ham and cheese, followed by a can of tuna, followed by a bowl of natural/non sugary oatmeal. A protein bar and a banana during the break and Im good to go back to work.


I don't think I could do tuna for breakfast. Salmon, sure. Tuna, emphatic no.

I've never tried vitamin water. I always get tempted at the grocery store. But, I already have an enormous bill by that time so I refrain.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

lparker wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Do whatever makes you happy. My plan is eggs with ham and cheese, followed by a can of tuna, followed by a bowl of natural/non sugary oatmeal. A protein bar and a banana during the break and Im good to go back to work.


I don't think I could do tuna for breakfast. Salmon, sure. Tuna, emphatic no.

I've never tried vitamin water. I always get tempted at the grocery store. But, I already have an enormous bill by that time so I refrain.


A can of tuna. Its not that bad at all. Its meant to be my protein for that morning.

My biggest concern is having to use the bathroom. Ive overcome the urge to piss after section 2 for last 2 weeks, but it still concerns me. Its tricky. You cant refrain from drinking water because then you risk dehydrating yourself and a dehydrated brain is no good, but if you drink too much you fill your bladder and you have to pee. Its a tricky balance...

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 am

Feeny wrote:Tryptophan is an amino acid. Carbs are not composed of amino acids, proteins are. So, by your theory, wouldn't your advice have the opposite effect?


No. How much do you know about nutrition? This is not my theory, it is a well known mechanism. Tryptophan competes with other amino acids to cross the blood-brain barrier. Carbs stimulate the increased production of insulin which cause certain other amino acids in the blood to be taken up into cells, which reduces the competition for tryptophan to cross into the brain, thereby increasing tryptophan levels in the brain.

Also, who are you to say that choline's effect is minuscule? Have you done some studies on it?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:49 am

Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby krad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:52 am

lparker wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Do whatever makes you happy. My plan is eggs with ham and cheese, followed by a can of tuna, followed by a bowl of natural/non sugary oatmeal. A protein bar and a banana during the break and Im good to go back to work.


I don't think I could do tuna for breakfast. Salmon, sure. Tuna, emphatic no.

I've never tried vitamin water. I always get tempted at the grocery store. But, I already have an enormous bill by that time so I refrain.


Agreed with emphatic no... Tuna is for lunch/din. I too will be bringing a vitamin water. I'm a big fan. I'm not sure how much the vitamins actually make a difference in my life, but staying hydrated is key regardless (especially up here in Denver) and they have plenty of electrolytes. Costco = good vitamin water deals. I just tag along with my bf and friends that are members :wink:

Oh and I've been wondering this for a while: Anyone else working full time while prepping? Between working 45+ hours a week (along with work travel, spent last week in WY) and studying, I feel like I have no life. At least there are less than two weeks left :D

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 am

Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.


Well before this scientific discussion gets any farther... lets just agree that this level of particularness is stupid, and not going to make a difference on the LSAT. I eat cereal every morning which has carbs, and I do just fine.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 am

Tuna for b'fast is hardcore. Add in some steel cut oats and it's like page out of Men's Health. Which as a girl I'm not sure why I know? Anyway, good for you G'Dane.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.


Well before this scientific discussion gets any farther... lets just agree that this level of particularness is stupid, and not going to make a difference on the LSAT. I eat cereal every morning which has carbs, and I do just fine.


I agree that it may not make a significant difference for many people, but I do stand by what I said. It is quite correct. From AskDrSears.com:

Eating carbohydrates with tryptophan-containing foods makes this calming amino acid more available to the brain. A high carbohydrate meal stimulates the release of insulin, which helps clear from the bloodstream those amino acids that compete with tryptophan, allowing more of this natural sleep-inducing amino acid to enter the brain and manufacture sleep- inducing substances, such as serotonin and melatonin. Eating a high-protein meal without accompanying carbohydrates may keep you awake, since protein-rich foods also contain the amino acid, tyrosine, which perks up the brain.



Also, your anecdotal evidence is not convincing; you say that you do fine, but you're failing to consider that perhaps you would do better than fine if you ate something different.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.


Well before this scientific discussion gets any farther... lets just agree that this level of particularness is stupid, and not going to make a difference on the LSAT. I eat cereal every morning which has carbs, and I do just fine.


Making a generalization from a sample thats surely to be unrepresentative is a bad thing. While you may not be negatively affected, others may. Diabetics may eat cereal and subsequently go into a state of hyper/hypoglycemia, people with fast metabolisms may burn through this fast energy quickly and crash before the test even starts, etc etc. Cant assume that what works for you is automatically going to work for everyone.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Enough of this nutrition derail, anyway, even though it is not my fault and I take no blame! Everybody, just eat the same breakfast that you always eat and let that be the end! :)

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.


Well before this scientific discussion gets any farther... lets just agree that this level of particularness is stupid, and not going to make a difference on the LSAT. I eat cereal every morning which has carbs, and I do just fine.


Making a generalization from a sample thats surely to be unrepresentative is a bad thing. While you may not be negatively affected, others may. Diabetics may eat cereal and subsequently go into a state of hyper/hypoglycemia, people with fast metabolisms may burn through this fast energy quickly and crash before the test even starts, etc etc. Cant assume that what works for you is automatically going to work for everyone.

Gdane, you are a moron. You don't use an exception as the main example in your argument. Reading your posts is like grinding my teeth against a chalkboard. Anyways, for the VAST majority of people, simple small changes in a diet in the morning of the test is not going to affect them in a measurable amount that it would make even a 1 point difference on the LSAT. The better thing to do is just whatever you do regularly and feels comfortable.

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Enough of this nutrition derail, anyway, even though it is not my fault and I take no blame! Everybody, just eat the same breakfast that you always eat and let that be the end! :)


This. Just do what you are accustomed to doing. Overthinking things like what to have for breakfast and snacks can be an indicator that one is psyching oneself out and setting up for test day anxiety. Now that will impact your performance significantly more than any food can.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Man, for someone thats supposedly scoring well on his practice tests, you sure do make a lot of bad arguments. The latest one, attacking the person instead of his argument. I didnt use any exception as the main example of my argument. Youre the one that essentially said "Oh, I only eat cereal and I do fine. So because of this one shouldnt try to eat a bunch of different stuff".

Im gone. Good day people.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Has anyone taken 60 yet? My score took a fat hit on it. I bombed the games. I went from a 164-167 to a 158.

wjun15
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby wjun15 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 pm

does anyone know how long we will be sitting in the chair before the test actually starts? how long does it take for them to read all the rules and directions?

User avatar
Feeny
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Feeny » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Youre assuming that ones level of tryptophan is high enough to give that drowsy and less alert feeling. Even if the brains sensitivity to tryptophan was increased because of carbs, if the levels of tryptophan in ones brain is low, it wouldnt matter.


But it won't be low once more tryptophan crosses the blood-brain barrier. That's the point. I suppose if you completely eliminated the amino acid tryptophan from your diet, you might be able to control that, but to do that is not easy or even desirable.

I'm not making this stuff up... it is a known mechanism in health.


Well before this scientific discussion gets any farther... lets just agree that this level of particularness is stupid, and not going to make a difference on the LSAT. I eat cereal every morning which has carbs, and I do just fine.


I agree that it may not make a significant difference for many people, but I do stand by what I said. It is quite correct. From AskDrSears.com:

Eating carbohydrates with tryptophan-containing foods makes this calming amino acid more available to the brain. A high carbohydrate meal stimulates the release of insulin, which helps clear from the bloodstream those amino acids that compete with tryptophan, allowing more of this natural sleep-inducing amino acid to enter the brain and manufacture sleep- inducing substances, such as serotonin and melatonin. Eating a high-protein meal without accompanying carbohydrates may keep you awake, since protein-rich foods also contain the amino acid, tyrosine, which perks up the brain.



Also, your anecdotal evidence is not convincing; you say that you do fine, but you're failing to consider that perhaps you would do better than fine if you ate something different.


You do realize that Dr. Sears is the #2 proponent of low carb diets right, right after Dr. Atkins? He would have no reason to exaggerate the drowsy effects of carbs/tryptophan? He has no bestselling books like Protein Power to sell?

Optimizing performance is important, but this level of micromanagement is bordering on obsessive.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:25 pm

What in the world are you talking about? I'm starting to doubt if you're even serious. Dr. William Sears is known for parenting advice and baby-related things, and has never endorsed low-carb diets as far as I am aware. You may be thinking of Dr. Michael Eades, the author of "Protein Power" which you mentioned. Or perhaps you are thinking of Dr. Barry Sears, author of The Zone? Which is not exactly low-carb either, and either way, irrelevant because that is a different doctor.

And, even if you had your facts correct, are you suggesting that a well-known and understood metabolic mechanism is wrong because a certain doctor might have an interest in supporting it? This is basic knowledge, not something that some crackpot cooked up. The lack of logic in your thinking is disturbing.

And frankly, it boggles my mind that you seem so motivated to argue this even though you clearly know next to nothing about the subject.

This is a forum for future lawyers, and yet I am constantly amazed at the number of people who will charge headlong into a debate about something without making any effort to be properly informed. It scares me.

Now, please drop this pointless derail of the thread. If you don't like the implications of what I said, that's your right, but please don't clutter up this forum trying to disprove an established, observed, and understood phenomenon.
Last edited by Adjudicator on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros and 10 guests