October 2010 Test Prep

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Just got a 170 on PT54. I'm not doing any older sections/tests from here on out. I feel like I mess up my LR when I do older questions. They feel really different to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic...

Did anyone else notice the median go up at their number one choice? Mine went up a point. I'm avoiding letting that "sink in." I really don't want to freak myself out this time around.

almostthereee
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby almostthereee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I agree the older PTs are different, at least different in an aspect that I feel I always do better on those. Maybe it's because the prep courses base a lot of their examples and how they teach off older questions? I was in a good stride on PTs 47, 48, and June 2007. Then I took 46 and 42 and got killed for whatever reason and I went back to PT 34 yesterday and seemingly regained some of my mojo back... but I take it with a grain of salt since the PT is so old. I'm about to take PT 50 now and hoping for a good score just for the sake of moral :|

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 pm

did PT 52... got 170. SIGH. Can't seem to break that on the newer tests. I only have 7 more tests to go through in the next two weeks. Am praying for a bit more. I keep making dumb mistakes.

LR1: -2
LG: -2
LR2: -2
RC: -5

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sinra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:25 pm

lparker wrote:Just got a 170 on PT54. I'm not doing any older sections/tests from here on out. I feel like I mess up my LR when I do older questions. They feel really different to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic...

Did anyone else notice the median go up at their number one choice? Mine went up a point. I'm avoiding letting that "sink in." I really don't want to freak myself out this time around.


I dunno. I feel like I was only able to really break down LR by doing the older questions so much. Some of them are so dense that it was really good practice. Are you going to replace your experimental with a newer one then?

PT 52 today.
LR 1 -1
LG -1
LR 2 -5 (all stupid mistakes argh)
RC -2

171 scaled, 90 raw. I want to bring the raw score up consistently to at most -8 in case we get a vicious curve, though I think it's unlikely.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Sinra wrote:
lparker wrote:Just got a 170 on PT54. I'm not doing any older sections/tests from here on out. I feel like I mess up my LR when I do older questions. They feel really different to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic...

Did anyone else notice the median go up at their number one choice? Mine went up a point. I'm avoiding letting that "sink in." I really don't want to freak myself out this time around.


I dunno. I feel like I was only able to really break down LR by doing the older questions so much. Some of them are so dense that it was really good practice. Are you going to replace your experimental with a newer one then?

PT 52 today.
LR 1 -1
LG -1
LR 2 -5 (all stupid mistakes argh)
RC -2

171 scaled, 90 raw. I want to bring the raw score up consistently to at most -8 in case we get a vicious curve, though I think it's unlikely.


Hi, we did the same PT today. Wonder what you got wrong in LR? I got #3(!!!) wrong in LR1 and am STILL confused by it, honestly.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Lasers » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:31 pm

finally broke 165 today with a 167!

SUPER generous curve on the dec 2009 test though...

then again, i got -6 RC (usually get -3) and i chose the answers the majority of test takers chose on 5 of the questions...
LG: -6; it was a mess, didn't get to do the last game
LR: -6; happy with this, though looking back i should have gotten more right

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:55 pm

167 on PT 41

LR-1<--FTW
LG-2<--Usually do 1 or 0
LR-7 <--WTF
RC-3<--FTW

overall test felt easy... got stuck on the second LR but at least I was conscious of the trip ups I had, RC was my best ever, and LR -1 was the second time ive missed only 1

arewhyaen
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby arewhyaen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:56 pm

PT 52 today. 85 raw, 166. I keep making god awful mistakes in LR. I was -4 lr, -2 lg(WTF), -4 lr, -4 rc. Of the 8 I got wrong in LR, I had narrowed down the answer choice to two for seven of them. For each one of those seven, I chose the sucker answer--the other was the correct choice. I felt that the other choice was "too obvious." I really need to get over that mentality.

The last game really tripped me up. I did not know how to treat the either/or rule and misread a sequencing rule in the first game that sucked up alot of time.

Reading comp was ok, I was not a fan of the Spider passage. I finished it and though, "Oh damnit, I zoned out about a paragraph ago. :shock: "

Overall, I need to attack more and be more agressively minded and not let myself wander. I know I can hit 171 at the least.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:02 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote: I think I'll finish the last 5 of them and then let my brain recover for a few days before gently reviewing every day until the test (saving last one though for a timed group LSAT- mimicking session on next Saturday morning)

Do you perform well after not having taken a full test in a week, but rather only gently reviewed?
If you do, awesome.
If you don't know the answer to the question yet, you might consider waiting a few days before taking another to see if your score is negatively impacted.

Your plan might be perfect for you, but I know I would flunk miserably if I went an entire week without taking a timed PT before test day.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Lasers wrote:finally broke 165 today with a 167!

SUPER generous curve on the dec 2009 test though...

Don't sell yourself short. Generous curves are generous for a reason.
Keep it up!

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Sinra wrote:
lparker wrote:Just got a 170 on PT54. I'm not doing any older sections/tests from here on out. I feel like I mess up my LR when I do older questions. They feel really different to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic...

Did anyone else notice the median go up at their number one choice? Mine went up a point. I'm avoiding letting that "sink in." I really don't want to freak myself out this time around.


I dunno. I feel like I was only able to really break down LR by doing the older questions so much. Some of them are so dense that it was really good practice. Are you going to replace your experimental with a newer one then?

PT 52 today.
LR 1 -1
LG -1
LR 2 -5 (all stupid mistakes argh)
RC -2

171 scaled, 90 raw. I want to bring the raw score up consistently to at most -8 in case we get a vicious curve, though I think it's unlikely.


I saw my biggest LR improvements from doing older LRs untimed. But, there's just something about the newer tests phrasing... It just seems different enough to trip me up after doing older ones. I prefer older ones. I was consistently -2 in the 30s LRs. I'm -3 to -5 in the newer ones. I wish I could get it down more because I don't like the added pressure to my LG and RC section. Also, I always use a RC (old or new) for my experimental because it's my least favorite--and the section that's my biggest wild card.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sinra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:42 pm

arewhyaen wrote:PT 52 today. 85 raw, 166. I keep making god awful mistakes in LR. I was -4 lr, -2 lg(WTF), -4 lr, -4 rc. Of the 8 I got wrong in LR, I had narrowed down the answer choice to two for seven of them. For each one of those seven, I chose the sucker answer--the other was the correct choice. I felt that the other choice was "too obvious." I really need to get over that mentality.

The last game really tripped me up. I did not know how to treat the either/or rule and misread a sequencing rule in the first game that sucked up alot of time.

Reading comp was ok, I was not a fan of the Spider passage. I finished it and though, "Oh damnit, I zoned out about a paragraph ago. :shock: "

Overall, I need to attack more and be more agressively minded and not let myself wander. I know I can hit 171 at the least.



Make sure you redo that last game again and again. Conditional sequencing games are becoming more common in the last couple of years. That one on 52 (I did that today also) was a little weird but there was a major inference that came out of it (If F-M then that meant that M had to go before H and couldn't be after K...so there was only really two options...but it was hard to see at first.) I would do that game over and over again

For some reason I do especially well on the science passages. The spider one was my favorite. I got beat by two on the anarchism passage. I really have to be careful with sometimes picking the answer that's obviously too strong (ardent support? When I look back it's clearly not the case.)

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sinra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:44 pm

lparker wrote:
Sinra wrote:
lparker wrote:Just got a 170 on PT54. I'm not doing any older sections/tests from here on out. I feel like I mess up my LR when I do older questions. They feel really different to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic...

Did anyone else notice the median go up at their number one choice? Mine went up a point. I'm avoiding letting that "sink in." I really don't want to freak myself out this time around.


I dunno. I feel like I was only able to really break down LR by doing the older questions so much. Some of them are so dense that it was really good practice. Are you going to replace your experimental with a newer one then?

PT 52 today.
LR 1 -1
LG -1
LR 2 -5 (all stupid mistakes argh)
RC -2

171 scaled, 90 raw. I want to bring the raw score up consistently to at most -8 in case we get a vicious curve, though I think it's unlikely.


I saw my biggest LR improvements from doing older LRs untimed. But, there's just something about the newer tests phrasing... It just seems different enough to trip me up after doing older ones. I prefer older ones. I was consistently -2 in the 30s LRs. I'm -3 to -5 in the newer ones. I wish I could get it down more because I don't like the added pressure to my LG and RC section. Also, I always use a RC (old or new) for my experimental because it's my least favorite--and the section that's my biggest wild card.



I find that the older LR really helped me to make LR click in general. But I get easy questions wrong now sometimes because I misread a word or another. It's almost like they're deceptively simple--making it easier to trip you/us up.

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lastch2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:56 pm

hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while bc school is kicking my ass, but it's getting close to test day and that freaks me out and TLS helps me cope :oops:

Has any/everyone got their gameday schedule ready?? i've been trying to finalize mine, the early morning thing really freaks me out. I read on here about using 5 hour energy..my next PT is tuesday morning so i think i might try that. anyways, it's good to be back on TLS the LSAT nightmares have kicked in already, and i'm pretty sure my friends and family are convinced i've completely lost it!! good luck to everyone, and congrats to everyone hitting their score range!!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 pm

lastch2 wrote:hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while bc school is kicking my ass, but it's getting close to test day and that freaks me out and TLS helps me cope :oops:

Has any/everyone got their gameday schedule ready?? i've been trying to finalize mine, the early morning thing really freaks me out. I read on here about using 5 hour energy..my next PT is tuesday morning so i think i might try that. anyways, it's good to be back on TLS the LSAT nightmares have kicked in already, and i'm pretty sure my friends and family are convinced i've completely lost it!! good luck to everyone, and congrats to everyone hitting their score range!!


Not sure of my schedule yet but I'll be replicating it on Thursday, October 7, with PT 60. I'm seriously planning on waking up at 5am for test day so my mind will be AWAKE and ACTIVE and in its "peak operating hours," lol.

What's a good, strong breakfast meal?
Also, what's a really good snack for the 15 minutes break?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
lastch2 wrote:hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while bc school is kicking my ass, but it's getting close to test day and that freaks me out and TLS helps me cope :oops:

Has any/everyone got their gameday schedule ready?? i've been trying to finalize mine, the early morning thing really freaks me out. I read on here about using 5 hour energy..my next PT is tuesday morning so i think i might try that. anyways, it's good to be back on TLS the LSAT nightmares have kicked in already, and i'm pretty sure my friends and family are convinced i've completely lost it!! good luck to everyone, and congrats to everyone hitting their score range!!


Not sure of my schedule yet but I'll be replicating it on Thursday, October 7, with PT 60. I'm seriously planning on waking up at 5am for test day so my mind will be AWAKE and ACTIVE and in its "peak operating hours," lol.

What's a good, strong breakfast meal?
Also, what's a really good snack for the 15 minutes break?


Why in the hell would you wake up at 5 am if you don't do that on a regular day?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 pm

If you want my advice, eat eggs for breakfast. Don't eat a lot of carbs. Carbs will induce higher tryptophan levels which dull your alertness and can make you drowsy later. Eating some eggs (and bacon, if you like) will keep you full all morning and leave your mind alert. Also, eggs are the richest food source of choline, which is believed to improve cognitive function.

For the snack, if I bring anything it will probably be some landjaeger (dried sausage.)

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Adjudicator wrote:If you want my advice, eat eggs for breakfast. Don't eat a lot of carbs. Carbs will induce higher tryptophan levels which dull your alertness and can make you drowsy later. Eating some eggs (and bacon, if you like) will keep you full all morning and leave your mind alert. Also, eggs are the richest food source of choline, which is believed to improve cognitive function.

For the snack, if I bring anything it will probably be some landjaeger (dried sausage.)


what you eat DOES NOT matter.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:what you eat DOES NOT matter.

?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:If you want my advice, eat eggs for breakfast. Don't eat a lot of carbs. Carbs will induce higher tryptophan levels which dull your alertness and can make you drowsy later. Eating some eggs (and bacon, if you like) will keep you full all morning and leave your mind alert. Also, eggs are the richest food source of choline, which is believed to improve cognitive function.

For the snack, if I bring anything it will probably be some landjaeger (dried sausage.)


what you eat DOES NOT matter.


You sound defensive. Let me guess; vegetarian? Vegan? :D

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:09 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
lastch2 wrote:hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while bc school is kicking my ass, but it's getting close to test day and that freaks me out and TLS helps me cope :oops:

Has any/everyone got their gameday schedule ready?? i've been trying to finalize mine, the early morning thing really freaks me out. I read on here about using 5 hour energy..my next PT is tuesday morning so i think i might try that. anyways, it's good to be back on TLS the LSAT nightmares have kicked in already, and i'm pretty sure my friends and family are convinced i've completely lost it!! good luck to everyone, and congrats to everyone hitting their score range!!


Not sure of my schedule yet but I'll be replicating it on Thursday, October 7, with PT 60. I'm seriously planning on waking up at 5am for test day so my mind will be AWAKE and ACTIVE and in its "peak operating hours," lol.

What's a good, strong breakfast meal?
Also, what's a really good snack for the 15 minutes break?


Why in the hell would you wake up at 5 am if you don't do that on a regular day?

I can see where he is coming from. If on a normal day you wake up at 8 and aren't fully functioning till noon, then to be fully functioning by 9 you would want to be up by 5.

I normally am up at 8:00-8:30 but I'll set my alarm for 7:00 at the latest on day of.

I also want time to go get breakfast somewhere, probably BK given they have the best breakfast commercial campaign going right now.

almostthereee
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby almostthereee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 am

I plan to wake up at 6 on test day. The week of I plan to adjust my sleeping schedule to wake up at least by 7 everyday. Breakfast, warmup section, and hit the john to flush out anything so I won't be fighting the cramps during the test :lol:

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 am

I just can't wait for this thing to be over so I can finally start focusing on my other schoolwork. The three hours three times a week for PTs + random time being sucked up by section work and worrying is seriously detracting from the attention my full course load needs.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:07 am

eit wrote:I just can't wait for this thing to be over so I can finally start focusing on my other schoolwork. The three hours three times a week for PTs + random time being sucked up by section work and worrying is seriously detracting from the attention my full course load needs.

+++
I have a test Wednesday, another test that is part take home distributed wednesday, and third one the 7th. There aren't enough hours in the day to prepare for all of those and the LSAT stuff, so somethings gotta give, and right now it is the school work for sure.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:33 am

177 on PT 52 today :-) It felt good, and I was happy that I was feeling on track. Also, all but one of the ones I missed I had flagged as tricky.

In other good news, my 1000 mile journey to the LSAT just got greatly simplified! It will now only take 6 hours instead of 18. Totally made my day :-)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”