October 2010 Test Prep

cherryalamode

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby cherryalamode » Thu May 20, 2010 2:50 pm

I have all three Bibles.

Question:

Read/Review one book at a time? Or do a few chapters from each book, changing it up each time?

SodaVeins

Postby SodaVeins » Thu May 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Heyas,

Just joined TLS, I'll also be taking the October LSAT. This will be my first time taking it. I cant start studying though until June 5th. Do you guys think thats enough time?

How many hours per week have the people that have been studying since April/early May been doing??

Also, I am broker than shit and will only be able to buy one of the bibles for the first 3 weeks of June. Any recommendations on which book I should use first?? Ive only taken one cold diagnostic, I got a 155 and fucked each section pretty much the same, so I dont think I have any 'focus' areas...

Thanks for this forum, glad to see Ill have some study buddies for the summer :)

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 pm

SodaVeins wrote:Heyas,

Just joined TLS, I'll also be taking the October LSAT. This will be my first time taking it. I cant start studying though until June 5th. Do you guys think thats enough time?

How many hours per week have the people that have been studying since April/early May been doing??

Also, I am broker than shit and will only be able to buy one of the bibles for the first 3 weeks of June. Any recommendations on which book I should use first?? Ive only taken one cold diagnostic, I got a 155 and fucked each section pretty much the same, so I dont think I have any 'focus' areas...

Thanks for this forum, glad to see Ill have some study buddies for the summer :)

You have more than enough time. 3 months seems relatively common, so most in this thread are quite early. If you only use 1 bible go with the LGB.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Starting June 5th is fine. That gives you about 18 weeks - more than enough for most people.

Don't worry about the cold diagnostic. Lots of people have had huge increases from that kind of starting point.

I think most on here will agree when I say that the Logic Games Bible is the best of the 3 Bibles.

-Steve

EDIT: Looks like TUP agrees with me already :)

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:13 pm

cherryalamode wrote:I have all three Bibles.

Question:

Read/Review one book at a time? Or do a few chapters from each book, changing it up each time?

I'm going through one bible at a time.

When I start doing tests, I will go back and study lightly from each section as needed.

I think it is important to focus on each section separately, and then combine them more as the test gets closer.

SodaVeins

Postby SodaVeins » Thu May 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Awesome, thats a relief to know most ppl use 3 months. And thanks for the advice on the LGB. I'll do that one first I guess.

Are people using any other materials this early on besides specific LSAT books/tests? Like reading journals etc?

Also, how many hours a week are ppl doing at this point in time? Are you going to increase the closer the exam gets? How many days n hours is overkill in a week?

Clearly I still havent made any kind of schedule lol.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm

SodaVeins wrote:Awesome, thats a relief to know most ppl use 3 months. And thanks for the advice on the LGB. I'll do that one first I guess.

Are people using any other materials this early on besides specific LSAT books/tests? Like reading journals etc?

Also, how many hours a week are ppl doing at this point in time? Are you going to increase the closer the exam gets? How many days n hours is overkill in a week?

Clearly I still havent made any kind of schedule lol.

i'm also starting around mid-june, haven't got a schedule yet, but we could probably keep track on each other with our progress. i'm using the 3 bibles, the 'grouped by type' series, the official LSAT series, and lots of PTs.

femme

Postby femme » Thu May 20, 2010 4:46 pm

I've decided to join you cool kids. I scored 163 on the September exam after practicing in the low 170s :cry:. LR is my weakness but I WILL become a LR guru by October. I haven't began studying yet but I think I'm going to review the LR Bible tonight after my run.

SodaVeins

Postby SodaVeins » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

x wrote:i'm also starting around mid-june, haven't got a schedule yet, but we could probably keep track on each other with our progress. i'm using the 3 bibles, the 'grouped by type' series, the official LSAT series, and lots of PTs.

That sounds good. Im gonna try and follow PithyPikes guide, that looks hardcore and it seems like alot of people swear by it on here. How are you gonna get all the PT's? I still havent figured out how to go about that and how to figure out which ones are in the '10books' the superprep, or which questions are used in the Bibles etc...

Look forward to catching ya on here when we start our Lsat-fest :)

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 pm

SodaVeins wrote:
x wrote:i'm also starting around mid-june, haven't got a schedule yet, but we could probably keep track on each other with our progress. i'm using the 3 bibles, the 'grouped by type' series, the official LSAT series, and lots of PTs.

That sounds good. Im gonna try and follow PithyPikes guide, that looks hardcore and it seems like alot of people swear by it on here. How are you gonna get all the PT's? I still havent figured out how to go about that and how to figure out which ones are in the '10books' the superprep, or which questions are used in the Bibles etc...

Look forward to catching ya on here when we start our Lsat-fest :)

Pithypike's guide is great.

10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests contains PTs 7, 9-16, and 18 (never heard an explanation for why they skipped 8 and 17 in that book :) ).
10 More " " " " contains PTs 19-28
Next 10 " " " " contains PTs 29-38
SuperPrep contains PTs A, B, C (not numbered)
The end of each Bible contains a list of PT questions used in the book.

The PTs after 38 are only sold individually for $8/exam (there's no book of 10 for them), but they're 4-for-the-price-of-3 on amazon, which softens the pain a bit.

If you go to my blog and click on the picture of books in the upper-left corner, I have all these books and exams listed, explained, and reviewed.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. I know this can all be really overwhelming at first.

-Steve

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 am

Check your local law library before running out to buy all the PT's.

I found my law library has every single PT, at least two copies of each.

I can make a copy of the answer page and take the PT in the library. This was my solution to spending like 400 dollars on PT's.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri May 21, 2010 12:47 pm

officially decided to take an absence in June and shoot for October. Already prepping in the mid/high 160's with a severe lack of LG (-10 per PT). If i could get PT down to sub -5 I should have no problem hitting 170+

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Cracked open the LGB today.

The linear/sequence stuff is a nice brush-up for me, I can't wait to get into the deeper stuff.

One thing I'm noticing through each Bible is that I have a lot of the concepts down, but my biggest weakness is speed/pacing and strategy (i.e. recognizing problem difficulty, etc)

I get the feeling once I start taking PTs on a regular basis my score will go wayyy up.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:29 pm

For sale: the brand new PowerScore book for logic games called LSAT Game Type Training. It contains every logic game from the first 20 tests separated by type. It came in the mail yesterday and I photocopied all the games and the answer key so I can complete them before I take the June exam. So esentially the book it still in brand new condition. I bought it off their website for $30 plus $8 shipping. I’m asking $30 and I will ship it to you for free. If you’re interested send me a message. Thanks and good luck in October!

RockabillyForums

Postby RockabillyForums » Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 pm

I was reviewing my offical LSAT's today because I am retaking it in October and thought I would share a little FYI, you may already know about. When studying for the LSAT I never came across a type of certain question type that I experienced on the official test. It's when they change one of the rules but all the other rules stay the same, which is the correct list?

Thought I would share that, it caught me by surprise on the official exam.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm

RockabillyForums wrote:I was reviewing my offical LSAT's today because I am retaking it in October and thought I would share a little FYI, you may already know about. When studying for the LSAT I never came across a type of certain question type that I experienced on the official test. It's when they change one of the rules but all the other rules stay the same, which is the correct list?

Thought I would share that, it caught me by surprise on the official exam.

Took me a while to figure out what you were saying. Look in the Logic Games Bible page 249, last question. It is covered several times in the book.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm doing the october LSAT as well. I cold tested 162, basically i'm hoping to get 168+ because i'm of the mindset that if I don't get into a t14 then I am not going to attend. Anyways I'm going to start studying exactly four months before the test in hopes of not getting burnt out. What do people suggest as the best material to buy to supplement a class I will be taking?

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm doing the october LSAT as well. I cold tested 162, basically i'm hoping to get 168+ because i'm of the mindset that if I don't get into a t14 then I am not going to attend. Anyways I'm going to start studying exactly four months before the test in hopes of not getting burnt out. What do people suggest as the best material to buy to supplement a class I will be taking?

This my mindset as well. Or if I get a full ride to a T40.

Just study, a class is less important than study at least 2 full hours a day, 3 is better.

Get the powerscore books and every practice test.

erudite.2010

Postby erudite.2010 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 am

Anyone using Atlas LSAT Prep?

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Sat May 22, 2010 10:27 pm

edit: posted this under wrong topic
Last edited by Maddie on Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey everyone I'm sorry to interrupt your study thread again but I am looking to sell my used lsat materials and did not want to start a new thread. Here's the list and what I paid and notes about the condition it is in.

Powerscore Materials:
LSAT Game Type Training $30
Logic Games Workbook $40
Logic Games Bible Flashcards $40
Logical Reasoning Flashcards $40
Logical Reasoning Bible $50
Logic Games Setup Guide $35

I bought all of these brand new off the powerscore website and prices do not include the shipping fees I paid.
Game training book- I just bought this a few days ago but I already copied all 80 games that it contains and the answer key. My plan is to work through all of them before the exam and then sell it.

Workbook- This is in great condition. I never wrote in it. I photocopied all of the exercices because my plan was to sell it.
Flashcards- they are in good shape and are all in there (just very out of order). I've been using them alot on the subway recently since I finished all the bibles and just want to test myself on things before I take the exam in 2 weeks.

Logical Reasoning Bible- I am still using that for occasional review so I will not be able to send that out until after the June exam. It is in very good condition. I just counted and 13 pages have highlighting of some sort on it. All in the start of the book and it's mostly the key points they have on the sides of every page. For all of the exercises I did them on looseleaf once I realized I could sell the book and people wouldn't want it highlighted I stopped that haha.

So I paid $235 plus alot of shipping fees since I bought everything at different times. I'm asking $120 counting shipping for everything. If you want only some things I'm very flexible and will give you a fair price. Feel free to message me. Thanks and best of luck with your studying!

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sat May 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Maddie wrote:Hey everyone I'm sorry to interrupt your study thread again but I am looking to sell my used lsat materials and did not want to start a new thread. Here's the list and what I paid and notes about the condition it is in.

Powerscore Materials:
Logic Games Workbook $40

Your prices are absurd.

These are the new prices on amazon:

Logic Games Workbook $26.00
Logic Games Bible Flashcards $14.99
Logical Reasoning Flashcards $25.00
Logical Reasoning Bible $38.00
Logic Games Setup Guide $17.98

Also, I think you are just trying to resell books for a profit. The "LSAT Game Type Training" book just came out 4 days ago....and I don't think that someone could buy a book, get it shipped to them, wait for it to arrive, and then do twenty PTs of Logic Games in four days.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Sun May 23, 2010 12:40 am

longdaysjourney wrote:
Maddie wrote:Hey everyone I'm sorry to interrupt your study thread again but I am looking to sell my used lsat materials and did not want to start a new thread. Here's the list and what I paid and notes about the condition it is in.

Powerscore Materials:
Logic Games Workbook $40

Your prices are absurd.

These are the new prices on amazon:

Logic Games Workbook $26.00
Logic Games Bible Flashcards $14.99
Logical Reasoning Flashcards $25.00
Logical Reasoning Bible $38.00
Logic Games Setup Guide $17.98

Also, I think you are just trying to resell books for a profit. The "LSAT Game Type Training" book just came out 4 days ago....and I don't think that someone could buy a book, get it shipped to them, wait for it to arrive, and then do twenty PTs of Logic Games in four days.

If you read my whole post you would see where I describe each item and say that I bought Game Type Training and copied every game. You cut that part off when you were quoting me. It arrived Tues. or Wed and I photocopied the games so I can complete them before I take the June exam. I haven't completed all 80 games yet.

If you aren't interested in the materials or don't like my price then that is fine you don't have to attack me. I believe charging $120 for everything which includes free shipping is a very fair price. Plus the books have no writing in it and only one has minimal highlighting on 13 pages.
It cost me $235 for everything plus all the shipping fees when I bought them off the powerscore website. FYI: I'm selling things individually such as the new Game Type training which I'm asking $25 with free shipping when it cost me $38 counting shipping so I am losing money on that.

So the prices you list would total $122 without shipping and doesn't include the Game Type training which just cost me $38 (counting shipping) on the PowerScore website. So I think it is absurd that you accuse me of trying to make money when clearly I am losing money and wanted to offer the books to people on TLS.

Ari Goldsen

Postby Ari Goldsen » Tue May 25, 2010 12:49 am

officially signed up for october... i'm just about to be a junior in my UG, so a little bit younger, but this summer is the best timing for me to start beginning the lsat fun with all of you!

158 diagnostic on superprep A today, hope to get it up to ~170 by october. prepping all summer-powerscore virtual course and lotssss of practice exams

we can do it.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue May 25, 2010 5:02 pm

I know it's still a bit early, but is anyone else worrying about this test? I mean I'm studying and doing practice tests, but occasionally I get hit with a wave of "OMG IT'S ONE WEEK/MONTH (whatever) CLOSER TO OCTOBER. GAH." I really wish I could quit my day job so I could study full time and worry less, but then I wouldn't be able to pay bills. Alas :-/

In other, unrelated, news: I found out my brother and his wife are expecting their first baby! :D :D :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”