October 2010 Test Prep

brickman

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby brickman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm

the prospect of having a life again is probably one of the best things ever to look forward to, other than the results!

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Fack!!! 157 on PT 57. I had the best RC section of my life, but the worst LR and Games sections ever. After about PT 53, my LR scores have been going down like crazy.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 pm

im going to give this test one more shot. I cannot see myself dedicating 3 more months of study for the december test. If I dont score well, then im going to go to plan B- take the GRE in December, and apply for the phd proram in cognitive development. In fact, I may just do that, and see how it pans out and compare the cost/ and outlooks of both. Law is my first choice, but if i cant get in to a decent school, then apparently I am not suited for this field. I despise my full time job( and i dont care if my boss reads this), and know that it is time for a total career overhaul. If i have to suck it up for one more year, im okay with that ( assuming i fail the lsat- and dont get my plan b put together in time).
Im sick and tired this prep. I just want it over! If the test was tomorrow, id be all set.

By the way, whose going to the bar 30 minutes after the end of the test?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 pm

just did the first 9 problems in the cambridge 410 series in 11 minutes and got them all right - if you extrapolate that out I am on pace to get all 410 correct at an average time of 1 minute 13 seconds per question!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Sounds like they're not that hard - or you're just rocking them!

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Pt 52 today. Started well with -4 on LR 1. However, my brothers baby mama dropped by unexpectedly and uninvited in the middle of section 2 (LG). I hate that lady and needless to say I couldnt work efficiently while she was here. She walks in and makes a bunch of noise, then goes upstairs to use the computer, then starts talking on the phone and texting, then she started printing stuff (which I assume was the reason why she came here to begin with) and finally she left. She was here from the middle of section 2 until question 21 on section 4 (RC). Put simply, the results from those three sections were terrible. I didnt finish the sections in time and I ended up getting more questions that I should have incorrect.

I wish this wouldnt have happened because I only have 8 PT's left and all of them are crucial to me at this point. If this was a month before the test with 15 PT's left I would say whatever, but because theres not much time and tests left Im really not happy. Dont get me wrong, I can work with distractions. I often do. The phone always rings at least once every PT, my cats always jump on the table and start playing around with my toes, etc etc. However, this distraction was on a whole other level. The very fact that this lady was in my house pissed me off so much to the point that I couldnt concentrate and understand what the hell I was reading.

Nevertheless, the positives that I can take out of this test are that LR is improving every test and that comparative reading passages arent tripping me up. Im very hopeful about LR though. Im averaging roughly -5 per section, but I think -3 or even -2 is possible if I can keep myself from making stupid mistakes.

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 pm

PT 52 Today - 163
LR: -8
LG: -6 (Didn't finish for the first time in 10 PT's - so I missed 4 from that)
RC: -5

If I would of just finished LG's it would of been a 166 GRR
and my LR has gotten so much better. You guys have given me some great tips.
I started at -16 then -12 now -8. Im hoping I can keep getting that down.

RC I dont really know how to do much better. I miss 4/5 each time.

Unrelated to PT 52
Anyone have any advice on In-out games?
I've been trying to get quicker on those but they take me longer than any other game type.

Thanks!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Classygal87 wrote:PT 52 Today - 163
LR: -8
LG: -6 (Didn't finish for the first time in 10 PT's - so I missed 4 from that)
RC: -5

If I would of just finished LG's it would of been a 166 GRR
and my LR has gotten so much better. You guys have given me some great tips.
I started at -16 then -12 now -8. Im hoping I can keep getting that down.

RC I dont really know how to do much better. I miss 4/5 each time.

Unrelated to PT 52
Anyone have any advice on In-out games?
I've been trying to get quicker on those but they take me longer than any other game type.

Thanks!

I'm really sucky at games but like in-out games, what trips you up about them?

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 pm

PT 41: 169

I'm doing them on the first floor of a public library for distractions, but people talking is very different from people scribbling and erasing and flipping pages in an otherwise silent room.

I'm thinking about trying to get people together to take a PT together but, short of that, does anyone have any suggestions?
I don't have an iPhone so no LSAT cacophony app, & I looked once on the pirate bay for it. No luck.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:PT 41: 169

I'm doing them on the first floor of a public library for distractions, but people talking is very different from people scribbling and erasing and flipping pages in an otherwise silent room.

I'm thinking about trying to get people together to take a PT together but, short of that, does anyone have any suggestions?
I don't have an iPhone so no LSAT cacophony app, & I looked once on the pirate bay for it. No luck.

Really, dont worry so much about excessive noise. People exaggerate the noise level thats encountered during the LSAT. For the most part, its quiet and there are no problems. Dont prepare for the worst and possibly sacrifice your performance when the worst is not likely to happen.

Good luck!

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

gdane5 wrote:Really, dont worry so much about excessive noise. People exaggerate the noise level thats encountered during the LSAT. For the most part, its quiet and there are no problems.

I've been out of school for a couple years (no recent practice with tuning out fellow test-takers' pencil noises & page flippings), plus this will be the single most important test of my life (stress), soooo I worry that it's not just the volume of noise that poses a problem. Example: what if I get distracted every time someone turns a page?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wigging out about this, nor do I think the odds are high that it'll be a problem. Still though, I'd like a little practice in that vein.

I got a watch to wean myself off digital & am following the time schedule etc., so this is the only area that will be totally novel. At the very least, it can't hurt to prepare for it.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:20 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Really, dont worry so much about excessive noise. People exaggerate the noise level thats encountered during the LSAT. For the most part, its quiet and there are no problems.

I've been out of school for a couple years (no recent practice with tuning out fellow test-takers' pencil noises & page flippings), plus this will be the single most important test of my life (stress), soooo I worry that it's not just the volume of noise that poses a problem. Example: what if I get distracted every time someone turns a page?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wigging out about this, nor do I think the odds are high that it'll be a problem. Still though, I'd like a little practice in that vein.

I got a watch to wean myself off digital & am following the time schedule etc., so this is the only area that will be totally novel. At the very least, it can't hurt to prepare for it.

I understand. You havent been in this type of environment in a while. Not a problem. All I can say is dont worry about what other people around you are doing. If someones on page 5 and youre still on page 3, dont worry. Have confidence in yourself and block everything else out.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:18 pm

how many LR questions would you guys say you diagram per section?

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:33 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:how many LR questions would you guys say you diagram per section?

I diagram maybe one or two the whole test. Really there's no need IMO. The parallel reasoning questions that lend themselves to diagramming take way too long and often the argument is not structured in the same order as the stim. I used to diagram everything that had conditional reasoning and it was a time-waster for me. Must be true and most strongly supported I've done it a few times but overall, meh, rarely.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:how many LR questions would you guys say you diagram per section?

0 usually. Unless you have something that is formal logic that you cannot get from first glance.

It can also help sometimes with parrallel reasoning.

Diagram can eat up time. I usually underline or circle conclusions, intramediate conclusions, and tone words like some, all, any, etc.

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 pm

PT 48 has one of the roughest curves I've encountered yet. Had a raw score of 89, but only managed a 167.
LR -3
LG -4
RC -2
LR -3

I wasn't too happy about the -4 on LG, but I am thrilled with -2 on RC. It gives me a little hope...

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Every test is different. For the most part, I rarely diagram. 1 or 2 maximum. I try not to spend too much time on a question that is really complex.

Also, Parallel Reasoning doesnt need diagramming. All it needs is an understanding of what the argument is saying as a whole and the structure of that argument ie: how are premises used, is there more than one conclusion, etc etc. PR has become quite easy to me now. Thank the gods. It used to be such a bitch...

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:52 pm

brickman wrote:the prospect of having a life again is probably one of the best things ever to look forward to, other than the results!

Oh, for a life again...

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:06 pm

WOW I just had a major RC fail on a PT question. I was staring at this question for like 20 minutes and then spent like 5 minutes typing up an explanation of why it was so confusing and then realized the reason it was confusing was because I was reading LOWER when it should have been HIGHER.

Ever have questions like that? So annoying.

I've been blowing through games on the bus and at school. I did a game (the appetizer/main dish one) in four minutes!

Of course, I don't have my proper books with me so I can't check how well I'm doing (tomorrow I'll go through all theo nes I've done), but it feels good to be feeling like I get them, anyways.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm

gdane5 wrote:

Every test is different. For the most part, I rarely diagram. 1 or 2 maximum. I try not to spend too much time on a question that is really complex.

Also, Parallel Reasoning doesnt need diagramming. All it needs is an understanding of what the argument is saying as a whole and the structure of that argument ie: how are premises used, is there more than one conclusion, etc etc. PR has become quite easy to me now. Thank the gods. It used to be such a bitch...

Thanks! (to everyone that responded to my question :))

I don't diagram many so I just wanted to make sure it was the same for everyone else and I wasn't missing anything.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Is it weird to find yourself having done a PT, when all you wanted to do was a couple of sections for drills?

I was doing PT 47, and did the LG for my daily LG drill. Then I decided to do a LR right after. Then what the hell, why not another one? After 3 sections, I was feeling comfy so I just did the RC.

I scored a 178! My highest ever!

Granted, it wasn't a faithfully replicated test setting: I did it out of order (LG, LR1, LR2, RC - the real PT was LR1, RC, LR2, LG), marked every section right after I finished, and didn't do an experimental... But nevertheless, I did sit down for over 2 straight hours under timed conditions and came away with a -3 total! I'm very happy.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

PT 51 93 raw, 174 scaled. Best raw score ever, tied for best scaled score. My LR has been consistently doing a little better and today was best combined LR score ever. But I am still completely unable to read.

LR - 1
RC - 6 (rushed through because I wasn't getting all the questions in time so this time I did finish in time but then ended up missing basically the same amount of questions.)
LR - 0
LG - 0

Hopefully I am hitting my stride at the right time.

jfb

Postby jfb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 pm

PT 46: 175, LR -2 RC -3 LG -0 Really happy about the -3 RC as I have been in the -5 to -9 range on my last several tests.

QUESTION: I am reading other threads and seeing so much talk about people already applying, getting ED acceptances, going complete, etc. Is that making anyone else nervous?? I am a retaker and figured I would wait until I got my Oct. score to submit apps but seeing so many others that have already applied is making me a little uneasy. Is there much merit to this concern??

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:21 pm

jfb wrote:PT 46: 175, LR -2 RC -3 LG -0 Really happy about the -3 RC as I have been in the -5 to -9 range on my last several tests.

QUESTION: I am reading other threads and seeing so much talk about people already applying, getting ED acceptances, going complete, etc. Is that making anyone else nervous?? I am a retaker and figured I would wait until I got my Oct. score to submit apps but seeing so many others that have already applied is making me a little uneasy. Is there much merit to this concern??

You gotta remember that TSL is light years ahead of normal people and eons ahead of the late ones. Before Thanksgiving is "early." There's just an abnormal amount of ahead-of-the-game folks here. The people I'm studying for the LSAT with IRL haven't even thought about where to apply and won't do so until scores come back, so I'd say you're ok. It's probably wise to get your apps all together between the 10th and anticipated score release date, so you'll be ready to roll.

If some random person's opinion on the internet isn't enough to soothe you :-), check the dates ppl apply on LSN

acadec

Postby acadec » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

180 on PT 38 today. One stupid mistake on LG and an earnest one on LR. This weekend will be the last fun one until the test is over.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”