lparker

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm

PT51
LR: -2
RC: -9 :x whoa... someone can't read
LR: -1
LG: -1

I'm glad I took the weekend to review the LRB now. At least I got my LR scores back up. I hate RC. I'd be a happy girl if RC on test day was, I don't know, Harry Potter!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Hmm. So. Just did PT 54. Situational factors: on various cold meds, needed to blow my nose every three minutes, head is ringing, and hadn't done a PT/any LR or RC sections in awhile.

With those taken into account, I'm alright with my 92 raw, 171 scaled. It's quite a dip from what I've been scoring, but eh. I will not let this upset me unless it turns into a general downward trend.

I got -4RC (lol what), -3LR, -0LG (well, that's nice), and -2LR.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Hmm. So. Just did PT 54. Situational factors: on various cold meds, needed to blow my nose every three minutes, head is ringing, and hadn't done a PT/any LR or RC sections in awhile.

With those taken into account, I'm alright with my 92 raw, 171 scaled. It's quite a dip from what I've been scoring, but eh. I will not let this upset me unless it turns into a general downward trend.

Weird! I just did PT 54 and got a 169 (-2 RC, -3 LR, -4 LG, -2 LR).

The last LG, for some reason, really threw me off. I was cruising along, until I got to about question #20 and realized I only had 4 minutes left and I started to panic a bit; I made 3 mistakes in that game, which wasn't difficult at all in retrospect. I should've kept my eye on the clock better.

My RC and LR were where they usually are. I've been drilling consistently with near-perfect LR sections though, so I need to find a way to translate that to PTs.

LG can be so easy, then bam, I royally screw up. Even though I normally get -0, I'm still a bit scared of LG. They can be so temperamental for me.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 pm

kpuc wrote:

Weird! I just did PT 54 and got a 169 (-2 RC, -3 LR, -4 LG, -2 LR).

The last LG, for some reason, really threw me off. I was cruising along, until I got to about question #20 and realized I only had 4 minutes left and I started to panic a bit; I made 3 mistakes in that game, which wasn't difficult at all in retrospect. I should've kept my eye on the clock better.

My RC and LR were where they usually are. I've been drilling consistently with near-perfect LR sections though, so I need to find a way to translate that to PTs.

LG can be so easy, then bam, I royally screw up. Even though I normally get -0, I'm still a bit scared of LG. They can be so temperamental for me.

I'm scared of the change that apparently comes with PT 57 or so. I've consistently been getting -0LG throughout the 40's and low 50's, but apparently they start getting weird again in the newest PTs... ugh. I'm repeating/doing all the older games though (on a semi regular basis) to try to keep my mind thinking in the difficult ways.

Oh, and that last game was kind of confusing to me. I had an issue with the J4 --> J > S/T or -J4 --> S/T > J kind of thing. I must have been reading fast cause I amalgamated the two rules into one and it confused the heck of me so I re-diagrammed it, thankfully.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm scared of the change that apparently comes with PT 57 or so. I've consistently been getting -0LG throughout the 40's and low 50's, but apparently they start getting weird again in the newest PTs... ugh. I'm repeating/doing all the older games though (on a semi regular basis) to try to keep my mind thinking in the difficult ways.

Oh, and that last game was kind of confusing to me. I had an issue with the J4 --> J > S/T or -J4 --> S/T > J kind of thing. I must have been reading fast cause I amalgamated the two rules into one and it confused the heck of me so I re-diagrammed it, thankfully.

How often do you use hypotheticals?

I usually make good diagrams, but I feel like the times I run into trouble are when I try to use hypotheticals and can't seem to come up with the right one. Usually, I can get a useful hypo within the first two tries, but sometimes, it drags on and I waste valuable time.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 am

I figured I'd post my progress.

I had an abysmal 153 diag in July. Started the blueprint course; it's been incredibly helpful and surprisingly fun. I've been kind of lackadaisical with the work (it's really borderline impossible to complete) , which has no doubt contributed to my anxiety regarding my progress. Second test was a 160 (timed, 5 section), that was a month ago. Week later --163 (4 section, timed, no break). Last Sunday took a timed 5 section test hungover/possibly still drunk and got a soul-munching 159. I got a big mac from Micky D's, cried into it, and ate my delicious salty tears.

Tonight: 5 section timed, at home, no bubbling (left the sheets at work): 167. Sweet redemption. I don't know if the games were exceptionally easy for this test or they've just started to click, but I missed two and finished with 6 minutes to spare, down from -7 or -8. Reading comp, conversely, used to be my best section and I now find myself running out of time (I had to guess on the last three questions, none of which I got correct). Breakdown for this test was -2LR, -2LG, -7RC-ouch, -5LR.

Anyway, partly due to the way the BP course is organized and partly because of my own laziness I've clearly not taken many PTs, so my plan is to take 4/5 a week until the test, review missed answers at work the next day, stop boozing, and start getting up early to practice (I am by NO means a morning person. or even an early afternoon person...this definitely affects my performance). Also, I should probably get one of those analog watches everyone keeps talking about.

Hoping that doing the actual practice tests will bump me into 170s, though I will honestly be satisfied with a 166+.

Good luck to anyone else who started with a pathetic diagnostic but is nevertheless reaching for a top score.

--ImageRemoved--

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:20 am

adevotchka wrote:Anyway, partly due to the way the BP course is organized and partly because of my own laziness I've clearly not taken many PTs, so my plan is to take 4/5 a week until the test, review missed answers at work the next day, stop boozing, and start getting up early to practice (I am by NO means a morning person. or even an early afternoon person...this definitely affects my performance). Also, I should probably get one of those analog watches everyone keeps talking about.

Hoping that doing the actual practice tests will bump me into 170s, though I will honestly be satisfied with a 166+.

Good luck to anyone else who started with a pathetic diagnostic but is nevertheless reaching for a top score.

I was very annoyed with BP for leaving only three weeks for them to teach you timing techniques and encourage you to do PTs. Three weeks? For PTs? And by then you haven't even been taught Principle questions. What's up with that?

My advice is for you to do maybe 3 PTs a week and between them -- review review review -- and do section practice on your weakest sections. I guess drilling in the BP books would be fine too, depending on if you're having trouble with certain question types. If anything BP tends to downplay RC so I would drill RC consistently until test day.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 am

ugh, i'm i can't seem to consistently get under -10 for LR.

RC i'm consistently at -3 to -4 and games i'll usually run out of time or miss some in a game (usually -3, -4). at this point though, i keep making dumb mistakes in LR and i don't know how to stop!

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:10 am

Lasers wrote:ugh, i'm i can't seem to consistently get under -10 for LR.

RC i'm consistently at -3 to -4 and games i'll usually run out of time or miss some in a game (usually -3, -4). at this point though, i keep making dumb mistakes in LR and i don't know how to stop!

I feel you man. I just cant seem to get LR. AAAAAGGGHHH!

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

I am so sick. 102 fever, Sinus headache out the ass, and a probably a 100 used tissues next to my bed. I had planned on doing pt 51 tonight but now i'm not sure it's worth it. I'll also probably still go to work and have to be doing it after work. Any thoughts?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I am so sick. 102 fever, Sinus headache out the ass, and a probably a 100 used tissues next to my bed. I had planned on doing pt 51 tonight but now i'm not sure it's worth it. I'll also probably still go to work and have to be doing it after work. Any thoughts?

Aw, skip it for today. I had the same this weekend - a sinus migraine (they are awful and I get them regularly) that turned into a sore throat/cold by the night. I was supposed to work but they let me go home after two hours.

Anyways, I gave PTs a miss for Saturday/Sunday, then yesterday I did a PT under the influence of lack of sleep + cold meds and scored a 171. My previous five PTs were all 175+ lol. So it was nice to see what kind of score I could achieve while feeling really gross - gave me more of a feeling like, I can definitely do okay on test day even with some adverse conditions!

lparker

Postby lparker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I am so sick. 102 fever, Sinus headache out the ass, and a probably a 100 used tissues next to my bed. I had planned on doing pt 51 tonight but now i'm not sure it's worth it. I'll also probably still go to work and have to be doing it after work. Any thoughts?

I personally wouldn't take a PT sick. It's not going to give you an accurate reflection of your score anyway. You're sick. Take the day off and get well. If anything, take an extra PT once your well.

downing

Postby downing » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:56 am

im taking practice tests 40-60 right now, in no particular order. A little peeved about my score on pt48 today.

raw: 88
score: 166

LR1 -3
AR -4
RC -3
LR2 -3

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:09 pm

lparker wrote:

I personally wouldn't take a PT sick. It's not going to give you an accurate reflection of your score anyway. You're sick. Take the day off and get well. If anything, take an extra PT once your well.

Went to one of my two classes this morning, and fell asleep. Felt terrible. Going to work in an hour and there is absolutely no way that I could do the test tonight. Thanks for the advice guys. My only problem is I had scheduled 10 more pt's to do and I am running out of time. I'm going to end up not doing all of the pt's in the 50's.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Took PT 49 today, after an abysmal showing yesterday. Got my highest score yet, and my first -0 RC ever. I didn't do the 5th section though, so I'm taking this score with a grain of salt.

LG -0
LR1 -0
RC -0
LR2 -3

Raw: 97, 178

My dogs went nuts during the last section and I had to deal with them, so I can't help but wonder if I hadn't had to get up and deal with them if it could have been even better. We'll see what the future brings...In another news, I'm super excited about going to see Legally Blonde the Musical tomorrow. haha. I'm such a nerd.

Also: There's a 13 point difference between my test score yesterday morning and the one from today. ridiculous.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 pm

I woke up this morning sick to. My throat is killing me and my nose is forever dripping (gross) Im still going to go over some LR stuff and then probably take a pt though. Im really freaking out that there is only two weeks left :shock:

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:40 pm

psychlaw wrote:I woke up this morning sick to. My throat is killing me and my nose is forever dripping (gross) Im still going to go over some LR stuff and then probably take a pt though. Im really freaking out that there is only two weeks left :shock:

Better to get sick now then not get sick.

So quick question for everyone. Drinking coffee is a crapshoot for me, pun intended. My score usually goes up when I don't have a stomach ache when I drink coffee. But its not guaranteed that I won't have a stomach ache. What should I do? Is it worth the gamble?

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:06 pm

arewhyaen wrote:
psychlaw wrote:I woke up this morning sick to. My throat is killing me and my nose is forever dripping (gross) Im still going to go over some LR stuff and then probably take a pt though. Im really freaking out that there is only two weeks left :shock:

I would have to disagree.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm

2014 wrote:
arewhyaen wrote:

I would have to disagree.

Just noticed my typo. It was suppose to say then not get sick later. oops

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Im livid, I somehow cannot do well on RC at all, I dont understand how I am missing the subtleties. My buddy had the idea of breaking it up by passage and doing them individually within 8:45, but the point being that they are broken up. All in all, it didnt help and I somehow managed to stoop to a new low, -10.

the only thing in my verbal vocabulary for the past day and a half has been WTF.... anyone with tips, links, wise words, please throw them at me! :cry:

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Help?!

PT 40/ section 2 (games) / 3rd game (questions 11-17, nonstop flights from Zephyr Airlines)

There must be a better way to diagram this than I've come up with. :oops:
Could anyone who nailed it please help me out with the diagram? PMing or replying here both work.

Hopeful thanks in advance.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Dripworx wrote:Im livid, I somehow cannot do well on RC at all, I dont understand how I am missing the subtleties. My buddy had the idea of breaking it up by passage and doing them individually within 8:45, but the point being that they are broken up. All in all, it didnt help and I somehow managed to stoop to a new low, -10.

the only thing in my verbal vocabulary for the past day and a half has been WTF.... anyone with tips, links, wise words, please throw them at me! :cry:

So are you generally finishing in time, just not answering properly?
Or do you find yourself rushed for time and think that you might not be absorbing the reading as well as you could without the time constraint?

If the latter, just do a ton of practice RC sections, at least one every day here on out.
If the former, I don't really know. But just a suggestion: spend lots of time when grading yourself. Make sure you understand why you got every question wrong. If you don't understand, try reading the relevant area(s) - often the entire passage - again, more thoroughly. Get a firm grip on how carefully you have to read. (take this last suggestion with a grain of salt)

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 pm

arewhyaen wrote:So quick question for everyone. Drinking coffee is a crapshoot for me, pun intended. My score usually goes up when I don't have a stomach ache when I drink coffee. But its not guaranteed that I won't have a stomach ache. What should I do? Is it worth the gamble?

Not sure what would be best for you, but IF you choose to do without, I strongly suggest going cold turkey until the 9th, starting immediately.

Ari Goldsen

Postby Ari Goldsen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Ari Goldsen wrote:just took preptest 52, and officially freaking out.
my last six prep tests went
and now 161

whaaaat is going on?'
I'm trying to decide if the cure is to take 3 preptests a week instead of 2, or stick to the powerscore book lessons for a week or so

any input?

took my preptest week off....went back to the basics...and my slow and scary decline (to 161) with that week off turned into a 168 (my best ever)!!!
LR -9
RC -3 (don't know where that low number came from)
LG -0

therefore, i HIGHLY recommend the week off if you're experiencing burnout
lets just hope i can keep this number up

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:59 pm

RC: Try paraphrasing in 6 words or less each paragraph after you read it. Spend about 5 seconds thinking about it to fix it in your mind then read and repeat for the next paragraph.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”