Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Took PT 49.

-0 LG
-3 LR
-1 RC
-2 LR

Scaled came out to be a 174.

Not that excited though. The last reading comp passage was one I had already seen before...Although I had around 8-9 minutes when I got around to it, I doubt I would have gotten all 5 correct if I hadn't seen it before.

Also saw one of the logic games before from kaplan mastery book. Although it was a long time ago that I saw it, I'm still certain it boosted my score somewhat.

Would have probably been more like a 170 if I didn't see any of the questions from mastery book beforehand.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 pm

[quote="northwood"]G dane and everyone else Keep up the great work. We're on the way to october domination and entrance plus benefits to the schools of our dreams!!!
thanks for the tip! i picked up on that but i didnt do it correctly. somethings been up with me lately. i feel funny. its not burnout. i just feel physically and emotionally strange. again, not burnout because i have no problem thinking. i hope i feel better soon.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Took PT 49.

-0 LG
-3 LR
-1 RC
-2 LR

Scaled came out to be a 174.

Not that excited though. The last reading comp passage was one I had already seen before...Although I had around 8-9 minutes when I got around to it, I doubt I would have gotten all 5 correct if I hadn't seen it before.

Also saw one of the logic games before from kaplan mastery book. Although it was a long time ago that I saw it, I'm still certain it boosted my score somewhat.

Would have probably been more like a 170 if I didn't see any of the questions from mastery book beforehand.

there's something to be said for redoing a game or passage you did before to reinforce an approach, because they are not horribly different from each other. but yes, i'd take it with a grain of salt. you cannot guess your score by any means. that's the price you pay by taking so many, but better this than nothing. the fact is there are only 60 tests out there.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:46 pm

gdane5 wrote:
northwood wrote:G dane and everyone else Keep up the great work. We're on the way to october domination and entrance plus benefits to the schools of our dreams!!!
thanks for the tip! i picked up on that but i didnt do it correctly. somethings been up with me lately. i feel funny. its not burnout. i just feel physically and emotionally strange. again, not burnout because i have no problem thinking. i hope i feel better soon.

i dont think about it like that. i just think about it as i hate this crap, and don't want it to go away but want to beat it at its own game.

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 pm

PT 25 (Yeah yeah I know I should be moving onto the newer ones, but i'm alternating to use up the tests I have)

-6 RC
-2 LR 1
-0 LG
-0 LR 2

-8/174

My best PT so far and right in line with what I'm hoping to score on the real thing. Glad to know I have it in me, now just to make it happen more often :D

Got the last 62 questions correct too!

And screw RC

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:06 am

2014 wrote:PT 25 (Yeah yeah I know I should be moving onto the newer ones, but i'm alternating to use up the tests I have)

-6 RC
-2 LR 1
-0 LG
-0 LR 2

-8/174

My best PT so far and right in line with what I'm hoping to score on the real thing. Glad to know I have it in me, now just to make it happen more often :D

Got the last 62 questions correct too!

And screw RC

Congrats! That's quite a streak :-)

So I just took PT 48, and I thought I was prepared after seeing all the hate for 48's curve. But apparently I wasn't because now I'm mad!

-5 shouldn't be a 172!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

/rant

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:15 am

Had a weird couple of days.

Scored a 174 on PT 41 (don't remember the distribution) and a 177 (-1 LR, -0RC (experimental) -3 (RC) -1 LR -0 LG) for my highest test ever. I seriously think it was a fluke, although today the answers just seemed to jump out at me.

I think I'm going to do some light review for a couple of days and then take another PT to really gage where I am.

dai

Postby dai » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 am

I'm taking the LSAT for the first time this October. I wanted to take it in October so I could send in my apps early. But I'm getting nervous and just applied for the December test as well because I figured I should just in case. I don't want to get really nervous and get a much lower score than my PTs. I qualified for the fee waiver for it anyway.

If I do well on the October test, I can just cancel my registration for the December test, right? And if I do poorly on the October test, I can just go ahead and study some more and try again in December. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing stupid about this plan that I'm overlooking. There's no penalty for canceling a registered LSAT right (before taking it, of course)?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:51 am

Woah, I just noticed that the score email date is November 1st. That...is not awesome. I was hoping to have my scores sent out before Halloween. Are the scores usually released before the set email date? *hopes*

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:53 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:Woah, I just noticed that the score email date is November 1st. That...is not awesome. I was hoping to have my scores sent out before Halloween. Are the scores usually released before the set email date? *hopes*

They were early when I took it before. It was 21 days after the exam in Oct 2008.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 pm

They were like 3 days early in the summer. I think historically they beat their estimate by 1-3 days.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Had to catch up and do 2 PTs in 2 consecutive days, from 94 raw (171) on PT 48 to 90 raw (170) on PT 49. I felt really sluggish and out of focus the whole PT. Honestly, I think it's because of

1) fatigue from PT in consecutive days
2) warming up using a section from ACE the Logic Games book (is it just me or are they ridiculously hard/confidence killing?)
3) lack of focus/indiscriminate answer choice selection

Or am I just burning out? Kind of worried because my 6-straight 94 raw streak has dwindled to two outlier 90 raw performances.

I figure on PT 50 I won't use the ACE the Logic Games book and instead go back to my previous warm-up routine: 1 linear game, 1 grouping game, 1 RC passage from Kaplan Mastery. I guess we'll see.

Worried.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:25 pm

RC has always been my strongest section, but all of a sudden I'm doing horrible. I went from having -1 or -2 per section to having the last two PTs be -9 (!!!) and -5. What is happening to me?!

Anyone have any advice (besides "take more sections!" Trust me, I am) for how to get it back up again?

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 pm

aesis wrote:Worried.

I don't think you should be... You have great PT scores--it's not like you're not prepared. You were probably just tired after taking back to back PTs.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:02 pm

PT 48 down. Good overall. However, -10 RC is not good. Combined -7 on LR is awesome! I ended up getting -6 on LG because I ran out of time and essentially guessed on the last 4 questions.

My scores have been staying in the 160 range for the last few PT's. Happy that I havent significantly gone down, but not happy that I havent been going up. I see where my mistakes are. Every test I take I can see what I did wrong and I keep in mind not to do it, but it seems like I continue to do so. I get careless at times. Today was a glaring example of that. I felt the passages were easy, but I got careless in answering questions. Same thing happened on LG. I blazed through the first game and got careless during the second game. I didnt organize my work correctly and I ended up spending over 10 minutes on the game which in turn left me with under 15 minutes for the last 2 games.

The positive thing is that Im feeling better. I pushed myself to workout hard yesterday, went on a long walk with my dog, took a warm bath after and went to bed early. I feel much better today.

Taking 49 tomorrow. I have to stay strong during the entire test. I get complacent and let up a little bit at times because I feel that Im doing well to that point or because Im worried about the time. On that note, I have to stop clock watching. Im my own worst enemy in all this. Im shooting myself in the foot. Have to stop.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:51 pm

took the day off from work to take prep 53 in the am

FINALLY IN THE 160's ( its just a 161, but i have been stuck at 157 for the past 5 or so tests... nice feeling to destroy that 160 wall. Will continue to destroy it super mario style on the next prepper ( 55) sunday morning

Section 1 LG -7 (ran out of time, had to guess on the last game)
section 2 LR -4
Section 3 lg exp -2
section 4 lr -7 ( really happy with the -11 combined. best progress yet)
section 5 rc -5 ( its really working not annotating as i read, and just skim the passages.) got caught up with all of the D's in the first 10 or so questions. Really had to refrain from changing them because they were so close together.

taking the rest of the day off, watching platoon, then hitting back up lrb and lgb tonite ( game practice)

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't know if anyone has noticed but I haven't been around much lately. I've been in the process of moving to another state. Until this morning I hadn't touched any LSAT material for about a week.

This morning: PT54, -5, for a 176. I missed 3 on RC, 1 on the LG, and 1 on the two LR sections. One of the ones I missed on RC was a dumb mistake where I remember choosing the correct answer, but for some reason must have marked a wrong one instead. I'm not sure what happened.

I guess 176 is not bad considering the downtime, but I can't help but be a little disappointed because during the test, I felt extremely confident about my answers and I was not expecting to miss that many.

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I don't know if anyone has noticed but I haven't been around much lately. I've been in the process of moving to another state. Until this morning I hadn't touched any LSAT material for about a week.

This morning: PT54, -5, for a 176. I missed 3 on RC, 1 on the LG, and 1 on the two LR sections. One of the ones I missed on RC was a dumb mistake where I remember choosing the correct answer, but for some reason must have marked a wrong one instead. I'm not sure what happened.

I guess 176 is not bad considering the downtime, but I can't help but be a little disappointed because during the test, I felt extremely confident about my answers and I was not expecting to miss that many.

I missed ya! One of the things that I find when I am confident but getting it wrong, especially on later questions in LR is that I get complacent about the need to read fully the stimulus and the answer choice. It usually ends up kicking me in the teeth when they throw a modifier in at the end or something to that effect. I recently started to tell myself to be on the look out for that type of thing, and usually around 15 or so I get a little more focused, usually the first 15 or so can just go by with very little thinking, and can kinda finesse it, I'm sure you know what I mean. The later questions are usually more technically complex, and I have to pay a little more attention.

As far RC, it is an odd beast, EIT will attest that 75% confident is about all you are going to get just b/c things are so general that it is hard to be certain. Best thing I can think of for RC is just pay attention, & c., &c.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi, and thanks for the tips. Yeah, RC is different and missing 3 on RC doesn't bother me as much as missing 3 on LG or LR would. As I said, one of them was just a careless mistake, and after reviewing them, I still sort of disagree with one of the other ones that I missed. That's just the subjectivity of RC.

As for the LR... the 1 that I missed was actually the third question in one section. :oops: And I had chosen the correct answer first, only to change it. Oh well. :) It would have been cool to go double-perfect on LR though.

At least I'm back on track after a disappointing -9, 172 on my previous full PT.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Just got finished with PT 50 88 raw/ 168 scaled

-7 RC
-3 LR
-0 LG
-2 LR

Highest score I've gotten so far and first perfect LG section.

Riddled basins was a bitch.

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Hi, and thanks for the tips. Yeah, RC is different and missing 3 on RC doesn't bother me as much as missing 3 on LG or LR would. As I said, one of them was just a careless mistake, and after reviewing them, I still sort of disagree with one of the other ones that I missed. That's just the subjectivity of RC.

As for the LR... the 1 that I missed was actually the third question in one section. :oops: And I had chosen the correct answer first, only to change it. Oh well. :) It would have been cool to go double-perfect on LR though.

At least I'm back on track after a disappointing -9, 172 on my previous full PT.

Taking a break hopefully will have the opposite effect for me, I took my first day off in a very long time and felt great on PT 54, yet to review my results, but I think a bit of a mental break did me well.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi all!

I'm so happy to have found this thread! I've been studying on my own since the end of July and have recently begun my 3-4 PTs a week. First three: 160, 167, 170. I'm taking one today after work at the local library, should be interesting... and two this weekend. Just out of curiosity, how many tests are people thinking to take between now and test day? I think I've got about 11-12 left? I've been following the 3 month lsatblog.blogspot.com study schedule (can't afford a $$$ prep course on my salary, gah).

Best of luck to everyone and keep up the good work!!

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm

1. 8. 0. 180. I just scored my first 180. Holy. Shit. This feels so good.

PT 52
-3 RC exp., -0 LR, -1 LG, -1 LR, -0 RC.
Raw: 97/99. Scaled: 180.

And my last recommender, after not being in touch for three months, wrote me back today agreeing to write me a letter. Time to celebrate.

!!!!!

brickman

Postby brickman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:06 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:1. 8. 0. 180. I just scored my first 180. Holy. Shit. This feels so good.

PT 52

And my last recommender, after not being in touch for three months, wrote me back today agreeing to write me a letter. Time to celebrate.

!!!!!

Ultimate congratulations, I am sincerely and utterly happy for you. Way to go, you fuggin earned it.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:1. 8. 0. 180. I just scored my first 180. Holy. Shit. This feels so good.

PT 52

!!!!!

Congrats! That's awesome. Enjoy the celebration :-)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”