October 2010 Test Prep

lparker

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

... I woke up this morning and thought less than a month... I've got to get in the frame of mind of making EVERY day count until Oct. 9th. I'm really ready to get it over with! I am probably going to go a little bit crazy in the wait time for our scores, though.

lparker

Postby lparker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:52 am

3|ink wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I was in the middle of taking a PT in the library. Some girl comes up to me and starts talking to me about the LSAT. She tried to have a 20 minute conversation with me about the LSAT while it was clear I was taking a PT. I wanted to punch her in the face. Needless to say, I bombed the RC section I was in the middle of and got a 167. Fuck that.

That's why I would never take a PT in a public place.

That's ridiculous that someone would do that! If she's prepping for the LSAT, she should know the sacred-ness of PTs. Sorry for you, but hey a 167 with a major distraction is great!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 am

northwood wrote:Took test at starbucks coffee shop after getting out of work 2 hours early.( Was all set for prep test mode, and didnt want to go home and become lazy). In the middle of the third section, a lady goes to me and starts asking me questions about the "survey im taking". Told her that it wasnt a survey, but rather a really interesting article on Aboriginal Canadian Indian Law. ( thanks lady for wasting 4 minutes of my life--- yes i kept the timer running, lol)I guess thats how my score would get if I had to leave during an rc section to go pee. ( gotta budget time to wash the hands).

I'm all in favor of hygiene, but I'd argue that a quick rinse is more than sufficient on Test Day, given the time constraints.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:49 am

Purell is your best friend in this case.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

ok, got my act together and took PT 51, good news got -1LG (stupid mistake), -1LR1, -2LR2, -0LG(experimental)
the bad news, got -SEVEN RC. raw 89/scaled 169. it gives me hope that RC can really improve my score, luckily some RC masters have posted advice so thanks eit and others, i'll be trying your methods out in the next less-than-a-month!

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Ive had my best performance yet! PT 44 80 Raw, 162 scaled!!!

The 1st LR section really screwed me. -9! I came back with a -5 on the 2nd one though. A -4 on RC has to be what Im most proud of. I got -2 on LG, but to be fair they felt really easy and Im pretty sure I had done one of them before.

Im looking to keep this up. I need to start getting hot again so I can go far and beyond the 158-161 area that Ive been scoring at in the last 7 PT's. I want to consistently score in the 160's and up.

Im taking PT 45 tomorrow. Lets see how that goes. Again, hoping to get hot again so I can get on a roll.

One last thing, I seem to do better when I skip around sections. Im going to play around with this a bit.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm

took the December 2006 test and owned the games! I only got 2 wrong and it was cus of time. Did anyone find this section really easy or am I just getting better? The LR section killed me with a -6 though. bah back to studying for now.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm

gdane5 wrote:Ive had my best performance yet! PT 44 80 Raw, 162 scaled!!!

The 1st LR section really screwed me. -9! I came back with a -5 on the 2nd one though. A -4 on RC has to be what Im most proud of. I got -2 on LG, but to be fair they felt really easy and Im pretty sure I had done one of them before.

Im looking to keep this up. I need to start getting hot again so I can go far and beyond the 158-161 area that Ive been scoring at in the last 7 PT's. I want to consistently score in the 160's and up.

Im taking PT 45 tomorrow. Lets see how that goes. Again, hoping to get hot again so I can get on a roll.

One last thing, I seem to do better when I skip around sections. Im going to play around with this a bit.

Good job!

As to the skipping thing I will often skip any question I find tough and then go back to it before turning the page. This often helps me, as I find the answer I need when I come back to it about half the time in LR, every time in RC, and... well, lets not talk about LG. Efffff you LG!

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 pm

The only issue I have with skipping around is that it somewhat confuses me. I have to keep track of where I need to go back. It seems to help though. On both LR sections today I got a good amount of the last ones correct. The issues came in the middle...

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:46 pm

gdane5 wrote:The only issue I have with skipping around is that it somewhat confuses me. I have to keep track of where I need to go back. It seems to help though. On both LR sections today I got a good amount of the last ones correct. The issues came in the middle...

I mark the ones I need to go back to with a giant circle. Then just glancing back through the pages allows me to see what I need to do still. The only real issue is if you are running out of time... which is why I often won't turn a page without having all the problems done on those two pages.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Congrats on your new high score gdane! That sounds like I'm talking about a video game, lol, but whatever.

Um so, I just did PT 52, may I just say that I abhor this new Comparative Reading? Seriously! It will require a whole new adjustment and there's not that many PTs to adjust on :S. Although I just checked and apparently the one RC I got wrong was actually not even on that passage. Okay. Whatever. It just made me go slower.

This was my second 180! 97 raw, 180 scaled - lowest 180 possible lol. -1LR, -0LG, -0LR (wow!), -1RC.

The nice part was it really was a lesson in focus. During that last LR and half of RC, these guys were having this nice conversation about their spirituality and the languages they were learning and the Buddhist temples they'd gone to (what a lovely thing to discuss in the library!) so anyways, I had a HARD time focusing not on their conversation and on my PT.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm

eit wrote:Congrats on your new high score gdane! That sounds like I'm talking about a video game, lol, but whatever.

Um so, I just did PT 52, may I just say that I abhor this new Comparative Reading? Seriously! It will require a whole new adjustment and there's not that many PTs to adjust on :S. Although I just checked and apparently the one RC I got wrong was actually not even on that passage. Okay. Whatever. It just made me go slower.

This was my second 180! 97 raw, 180 scaled - lowest 180 possible lol. -1LR, -0LG, -0LR (wow!), -1RC.

The nice part was it really was a lesson in focus. During that last LR and half of RC, these guys were having this nice conversation about their spirituality and the languages they were learning and the Buddhist temples they'd gone to (what a lovely thing to discuss in the library!) so anyways, I had a HARD time focusing not on their conversation and on my PT.

Awesome! Good Job!

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 pm

eit wrote:Congrats on your new high score gdane! That sounds like I'm talking about a video game, lol, but whatever.

Well done Eit.

In prep test news I just took pt50. I remembered this had the infamous riddled basin RC passage so I was pretty stoked about taking it. I don't remember anyone talking about the third passage and that tripped me up so bad. For the longest time I was just playing along with the passage, hoping that I would eventually figure out what it was all about. Spent too much time on it and only had five minutes for the basin passage. Oh irony.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks! Now I have to keep it up. Ive been smiling all day long though because of this. Haha!

A 180 is amazing. How I envy you. Im happy I got an 80 raw/161, but youre getting 97 raw and 180's! You can serve as my motivation to keep going.

Keep it going Eit!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 am

gdane5 wrote:

Thanks! Now I have to keep it up. Ive been smiling all day long though because of this. Haha!

A 180 is amazing. How I envy you. Im happy I got an 80 raw/161, but youre getting 97 raw and 180's! You can serve as my motivation to keep going.

Keep it going Eit!

I am sure you will be able to! And don't envy me tooo much, even if I get an amazing score it's highly unlikely I'll be going to any T14 school due to financial reasons (but I'm Canadian so if I go to school here, rankings don't matter so much). Although there's this school in Oregon with an AMAZING animal law program that I'm seriously considering.

Anyways. Here is some motivation for you!

--ImageRemoved--

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:32 am

Who is that girl?! Is she the same girl in your picture?

Also, you should definitely come to the states. Im sure that you'll hit a score in the high 170's. That'll make for a LOT of merit aid.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:55 am

gdane5 wrote:Who is that girl?! Is she the same girl in your picture?

Also, you should definitely come to the states. Im sure that you'll hit a score in the high 170's. That'll make for a LOT of merit aid.

Blair Waldorf!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely considering it. As my mother is American (as well as my grandparents), I believe it is easier to attain citizenship as well, later on down on the line. In all honesty, I do want to end up living on the Pacific coast - don't really mind if it's BC/Washington/Oregon/California.

Depending on my LSAT score, I'm thinking of applying to Berkeley, Stanford, Lewis & Clark (best animal law program in the country), and maybe a couple others. I'll probably try to figure out where I'd most like to go, who is likely to give me the most money, then apply both of those kinds of places.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 am

eit wrote:

Blair Waldorf!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely considering it. As my mother is American (as well as my grandparents), I believe it is easier to attain citizenship as well, later on down on the line. In all honesty, I do want to end up living on the Pacific Northwest - don't really mind if it's BC/Washington/Oregon/California.

Depending on my LSAT score, I'm thinking of applying to Berkeley, Stanford, Lewis & Clark (best animal law program in the country), and maybe a couple others. I'll probably try to figure out where I'd most like to go, who is likely to give me the most money, then apply both of those kinds of places.

Cool beans! Im sure you'll find whats right for you. As for me, its time to sleep. Taking PT 45 tomorrow and Im supposed to wake up by 8am so...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:51 am

Got a 179 on PT51 tonight. I haven't gotten under 177 in 5 PTs :D

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 am

Hannibal wrote:Got a 179 on PT51 tonight. I haven't gotten under 177 in 5 PTs :D

Elle Woods score, freaking jealous. Not to mention of the fact you're doing consistently amazing on your PTs, haha. But really, I've scored 171-178, but not 170 or 179. Hmmm.

Maybe if I DON'T score a 179 on TEST DAY! I will score a 179.

Okay, that's a really terrible example of magical thinking (causation error to y'all), but I don't care.

innuendo

Postby innuendo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:52 am

lastch2 wrote:ok, got my act together and took PT 51, good news got -1LG (stupid mistake), -1LR1, -2LR2, -0LG(experimental)
the bad news, got -SEVEN RC. raw 89/scaled 169. it gives me hope that RC can really improve my score, luckily some RC masters have posted advice so thanks eit and others, i'll be trying your methods out in the next less-than-a-month!

Dude I did the exact same thing yesterday. Everything was just golden until I decided to screw the pooch on RC. I don't know what makes RC such a treacherous vixen, but it's clear she'll stab you through the heart.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:03 am

eit wrote:

Blair Waldorf!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely considering it. As my mother is American (as well as my grandparents), I believe it is easier to attain citizenship as well, later on down on the line. In all honesty, I do want to end up living on the Pacific coast - don't really mind if it's BC/Washington/Oregon/California.

Don't defect! Viva la Canada!

Hannibal wrote:Got a 179 on PT51 tonight. I haven't gotten under 177 in 5 PTs :D

Congrats my friend. Hard work does pay off eh. Keep her going!

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:30 pm

With about a month left until the Oct LSAT, would you recommend taking a practice test every other day? Or would that lead to burnout?

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 pm

After consistently scoring in the 160-165 range for the past few weeks, I somehow shot up to a 172 on PT 38 this morning. I decided not take any PT's this week and focus more on reviewing the LRB, reading dense magazines and articles similar to RC passages, and drilling logic games over and over. Maybe it worked, I really hope this wasn't a fluke!

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Quick question. What do you guys do on days in between PTs? They always end up being lazy days for me. I review the PT but always lose concentration while drilling and just say i'll take a PT tomorrow.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”