October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 pm

lparker wrote:Can someone explain PT38 LR section 4 #25? I have it narrowed down to D and E, but I don't understand why D is right?


if you can personal message me the full question I will try my best to explain it

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Tiva wrote:
lparker wrote:Can someone explain PT38 LR section 4 #25? I have it narrowed down to D and E, but I don't understand why D is right?


if you can personal message me the full question I will try my best to explain it

E is incorrect because, e.g., a religious painting could lose its appeal when it is presented for a non-religious purpose. This answer would be correct if it said, "All works of art..." Because it does not say that, even a single scenario that fits this description (but does not refer to European music) is compatible with the stimulus and thus incorrect.

Why D is correct is trickier, but I believe that it is because the independence of European music is cited as "One reason...it is a sophisticated achievement." This implies that this aspect of it stands in contrast to dependent music, which is in turn not a sophisticated achievement. If the independence of European music is why it is a sophisticated achievement, the opposite quality cannot also be why music is sophisticated.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:E is incorrect because, e.g., a religious painting could lose its appeal when it is presented for a non-religious purpose. This answer would be correct if it said, "All works of art..." Because it does not say that, even a single scenario that fits this description (but does not refer to European music) is compatible with the stimulus and thus incorrect.


Yep, missed that whole "works of art" part. That makes sense now. Thanks so much!

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Oompf! I shot myself in the foot today! 160. I did so well on both LR sections, a combined -7, but a -9 on LG negated that. RC was ok at -6, but that LG section really bothers me.

Going over my mistakes I saw that I made a lot of careless mistakes. My combined -7 wouldve been an astonishingly amazing -3 if I had been a little more careful. For instance, I answered a question incorrect because I didnt read the entire question stem. I thought the question asked for "what must be true", but when I went over it I realized the stem said "what must be false". Ugh! I chose the opposite answer because I misread one tiny word.

This test felt "easy", which the -10 curve reflects, and after going over my mistakes I shouldve gotten 8 more questions correct. By "shouldve" I mean that they were questions that I didnt struggle with and that my answering them incorrectly was solely due to careless reading or in some cases, not reading the stem in its entirety. Lesson for the future, always read everything no matter what!

Im happy because my scores, raw and scaled, are consistent (between 73-75 and 159-161), but Im disappointed because I want improvement. The positive that I take out of this is that Im not far from where I want to end up (163-165), but nevertheless Im still not there.

I felt like I was on "autodrive" today though. I didnt run out of time on any section and I felt in flow with the test. I let my natural instincts take over and I didnt second guess myself as often as I usually do. I suspect this may be one reason why I did so well on LR today. I also suspect that this autodrive was the reason why I made many careless reading errors, I got too comfortable. I have to find a balance.

Overall, Im happy because Im close to where I need to be and I havent had any major drops in score. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Guess who's back. Back again.

So, after a two month break from the LSAT, I decided I might mosey on over and start those practice tests I bought back in June (yes a month before the test lol). First one: -0 on LG, -5 on LR1, -3 on LR2, -TWELVE on RC. I lol'd. No, seriously. I have never gotten a perfect LG section before, but RC used to be my best section. What's even more amazing is that I've taken 3 PTs since last week. First RC score: -12. Second: -9 Third (today): -7.

I think it's like revving up an old car in winter. Takes a little time to get the brain warm. My LR scores got better too (-3 on one section -2 on the other for today's test, can't remember the others) and my LG stayed at -0 one more time and a -1 the other two times. I'm not doing anymore tests this week cause I don't feel like it :D. Just gonna try to do 2 or 3 a week to keep my brain warm and build up my endurance for October.

Bad strategy? Probably. But I am so over this test that I just keep loling about my -12. Ellll ohhhh ellll.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby TUP » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 pm

-2 RC, -2 LR1, -1 LR2, -0 LG on PT46 today for a 175.

After taking 43, 44, 45, and 46 over the past five days, I really like the shift in LG difficulty compared to the 30s. I've been photocopying LG sections to re-do games, but I think I might re-do more from the 30s and 50s (once I get there) rather than the 40s.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:53 pm

TUP wrote:-2 RC, -2 LR1, -1 LR2, -0 LG on PT46 today for a 175.

After taking 43, 44, 45, and 46 over the past five days, I really like the shift in LG difficulty compared to the 30s. I've been photocopying LG sections to re-do games, but I think I might re-do more from the 30s and 50s (once I get there) rather than the 40s.



What's wrong with the 40s LGs? I've been working and repeating mostly those, except for the occasional full PT in the 50s. Are they easier? harder? Nonrepresentative types?

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby TUP » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
TUP wrote:-2 RC, -2 LR1, -1 LR2, -0 LG on PT46 today for a 175.

After taking 43, 44, 45, and 46 over the past five days, I really like the shift in LG difficulty compared to the 30s. I've been photocopying LG sections to re-do games, but I think I might re-do more from the 30s and 50s (once I get there) rather than the 40s.



What's wrong with the 40s LGs? I've been working and repeating mostly those, except for the occasional full PT in the 50s. Are they easier? harder? Nonrepresentative types?


I think they're noticeably easier. I worked through most of the 19-28 and 29-38 books up to last weekend, and have done 43, 44, 45, and 46 since (I might skip 39-42), and all four of those LG sections in the 40s have been easier than the LG sections from tests that came earlier.

I've also done every game from 1-38 multiple times, so maybe it's just a matter of improvement, but they seemed more straightforward than the 30s. I haven't done any in the 50s yet, but from what I've read they're more difficult.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm

lparker wrote:Can someone explain PT38 LR section 4 #25? I have it narrowed down to D and E, but I don't understand why D is right?


It's mostly just a subtle scope thing...

So European music is coherent, sophisticated, and wonderful because, over time, it's original purpose has become only one aspect of it's greatness, instead of being a defining force. D says that music is NOT coherent when separated from it's original purpose, so it's the EXCEPTion to the other four compatible statements. E talks about "some works of art" losing their appeal. Maybe, say, Idahoan music isn't appealing when taken out of context. This doesn't affect the "European music" in the stimulus. Note that D says "Music" as in a broad, global statement encompassing European, Idahoan, or whatever kind of music.

HTH.

User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jfb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:33 pm

Took Labor Day weekend off and got back at it with pt 55 after work today - LR 1 -3 RC -5 LR 2 -2 LG -6 (read a rule wrong)

Kind of upsetting to realize how easily I can slip to a 164 after scoring pretty consistently in the lower to mid 170s for the past 3 weeks. Thought maybe a break would be a good thing, but def did not seem to help.

ehhhh someone talk me off the ledge

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 pm

jfb wrote:Took Labor Day weekend off and got back at it with pt 55 after work today - LR 1 -3 RC -5 LR 2 -2 LG -6 (read a rule wrong)

Kind of upsetting to realize how easily I can slip to a 164 after scoring pretty consistently in the lower to mid 170s for the past 3 weeks. Thought maybe a break would be a good thing, but def did not seem to help.

ehhhh someone talk me off the ledge


Well if it wasn't for the rule you read wrong you would have scored fine. Nothing to be worried about I don't think. Which type of logic game was it though just wondering?

User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jfb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:54 pm

I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby acadec » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 pm

174 on PT 57 today, after an ill-advised 2 month break from LSAT materials of any kind. Ah well. I got like a month to get it back up.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Chris_cpb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 am

jfb wrote:I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards


Ahh I've done that before. I feel like you probably got frustrated because those are probably easy for you in most cases and you made an unusual mistake. I'm frustrated too today with these silly unstable combo games that aren't even likely to show up. I still have an entire book of review to get through in a week and then will try to do about 20 PT's :shock:

I also am going to be forced to quit my weekend job. They won't let me take more than 2 weeks off and I really need that time to cram

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 am

TUP wrote:I've also done every game from 1-38 multiple times, so maybe it's just a matter of improvement, but they seemed more straightforward than the 30s. I haven't done any in the 50s yet, but from what I've read they're more difficult.


That's what I did as well, I repeated pretty much all the games in PT1-20 and found them much more straightforward than when I first did them about 2 months ago. I can easily score -0 with about 6 mins on each game. But I still perform very poorly in the games in 20s-30s -- around -4 to -7 in each section. I hope those in the 50s aren't as bad as the 20s and 30s.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 am

jfb wrote:I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards



I've done this. The worst is when something says HIGHER NUMBERED or LOWER NUMBERED because that ALWAYS mixes me up. I guess I just know to be aware of it and to reallly look.

THis one game was driving me crazy at the very beginning of prep - it has like lions and tigers or something and tigers can't face lions and anyways I had diagrammed it as J > K instead of K > J or something and it completely screwed the whole game up.

I swear it's like the WORST FEELING when you KNOW you're missing something in a game but you just can't figure out what.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 am

eit wrote:
jfb wrote:I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards



I've done this. The worst is when something says HIGHER NUMBERED or LOWER NUMBERED because that ALWAYS mixes me up. I guess I just know to be aware of it and to reallly look.

THis one game was driving me crazy at the very beginning of prep - it has like lions and tigers or something and tigers can't face lions and anyways I had diagrammed it as J > K instead of K > J or something and it completely screwed the whole game up.

I swear it's like the WORST FEELING when you KNOW you're missing something in a game but you just can't figure out what.


HAHA I know exactly what game you're talking about and it screwed me under.... I remember this game because I diagrammed that K>J rule incorrectly and I was stuck forever on some questions only to realize my mistake...

User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jfb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:37 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:
eit wrote:
jfb wrote:I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards



I've done this. The worst is when something says HIGHER NUMBERED or LOWER NUMBERED because that ALWAYS mixes me up. I guess I just know to be aware of it and to reallly look.

THis one game was driving me crazy at the very beginning of prep - it has like lions and tigers or something and tigers can't face lions and anyways I had diagrammed it as J > K instead of K > J or something and it completely screwed the whole game up.

I swear it's like the WORST FEELING when you KNOW you're missing something in a game but you just can't figure out what.


HAHA I know exactly what game you're talking about and it screwed me under.... I remember this game because I diagrammed that K>J rule incorrectly and I was stuck forever on some questions only to realize my mistake...



Yes, it is a terrible feeling, when you know you're missing something. I also particularly hate when the test makers are prepared for you to reverse a rule and include wrong answers that make the game seem to work ok with the rule reversed. Everything seems to go smooth until you check your answers and find that you somehow did the entire game wrong.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 am

How did you guys do on PT 48? I got -6 for a...172. Damn that awful curve! I didn't feel like it was much easier than other tests, but I also made a couple stupid mistakes I shouldn't have. This score really worries me, though. It's well below my recent test average of ~176. I have a feeling that I'm always going to miss 4 to 6 questions, regardless of whether the test is relatively easy or difficult. I just always make SOME mistake a few times. Anyway, I'm pretty disheartened because I'd taken four days off without a test while studying and reviewing mistakes during that time, only to come back and score lower than I have in weeks. Somebody cheer me up?

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:49 am

eit wrote:
jfb wrote:I guess it was a basic linear game, diagrammed a sequence rule backwards



I've done this. The worst is when something says HIGHER NUMBERED or LOWER NUMBERED because that ALWAYS mixes me up. I guess I just know to be aware of it and to reallly look.

THis one game was driving me crazy at the very beginning of prep - it has like lions and tigers or something and tigers can't face lions and anyways I had diagrammed it as J > K instead of K > J or something and it completely screwed the whole game up.

I swear it's like the WORST FEELING when you KNOW you're missing something in a game but you just can't figure out what.


HAHA I know exactly what game you're talking about and it screwed me under.... I remember this game because I diagrammed that K>J rule incorrectly and I was stuck forever on some questions only to realize my mistake...[/quote]

OMG LOL yes that's exactly what happened to me, and I had to go to work in like 5 minutes and I was like I MUST FIGURE OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE.

And I guess I rarely miss rules in the way I was intended to, because when I'm missing something, I know damn straight I"m missing something - no need to wait to check the answers, lol.


sgtgrumbles wrote:How did you guys do on PT 48? I got -6 for a...172. Damn that awful curve! I didn't feel like it was much easier than other tests, but I also made a couple stupid mistakes I shouldn't have. This score really worries me, though. It's well below my recent test average of ~176. I have a feeling that I'm always going to miss 4 to 6 questions, regardless of whether the test is relatively easy or difficult. I just always make SOME mistake a few times. Anyway, I'm pretty disheartened because I'd taken four days off without a test while studying and reviewing mistakes during that time, only to come back and score lower than I have in weeks. Somebody cheer me up?


I got a 165! Lol. Although this was like one of my first proper prep tests with timing, and done during the time I was waiting for my Bibles (got impatient).

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby yzero1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:50 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:How did you guys do on PT 48? I got -6 for a...172. Damn that awful curve! I didn't feel like it was much easier than other tests, but I also made a couple stupid mistakes I shouldn't have. This score really worries me, though. It's well below my recent test average of ~176. I have a feeling that I'm always going to miss 4 to 6 questions, regardless of whether the test is relatively easy or difficult. I just always make SOME mistake a few times. Anyway, I'm pretty disheartened because I'd taken four days off without a test while studying and reviewing mistakes during that time, only to come back and score lower than I have in weeks. Somebody cheer me up?


Don't worry, that test had an awful curve that did not match its difficulty level. I scored a few points below my average on that test as well, even though my raw score was pretty much the same.

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Rikkugrrl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 am

acadec wrote:174 on PT 57 today, after an ill-advised 2 month break from LSAT materials of any kind. Ah well. I got like a month to get it back up.


You will! I'm in the same boat with ya, and my scores have consistently gone up the more practice tests I take. It's like riding a bike. Also, a 174 is still an amazing score.

leemalk
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby leemalk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am

Just got -10 on a RC section that I actually felt very confident on as I went through it. Feeling pretty discouraged right about now.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:31 pm

ONE MONTH

THIRTY DAYS

7200 HOURS

432000 MINUTES

25920000 SECONDS

UNTIL THE END.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:23 pm

nullisecundus wrote: ONE MONTH

THIRTY DAYS

7200 HOURS

432000 MINUTES

25920000 SECONDS

UNTIL THE END.


--ImageRemoved--




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental, Tazewell, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests