October 2010 Test Prep

Adjudicator

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 am

eit wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Great advice. Thank you, that did help me feel better. And you're right; I think some exercise might be just the thing I need. That, and higher quality sleep.

I always want to think that sleep doesn't matter, but it probably does make a big difference in cognitive function.

I was scoring in the 170's consistently and then took a test on a day I hadn't gotten much sleep. Hello 160's.

It definitely affects me - there are just days where you know your focus is way out of kilter. I think some days like that it's worthwhile trying to do well despite of it - because you never know if that's going to be what you feel like on the day of the exam (god forbid, knock on wood).

In other news, I'm excited for PT 47 tomorrow. I want to just viciously kill it. Or score really high. They're the same thing, right?

Ugh, don't even say that. :|

Good luck on PT47. I hope you do better than I did on 53 today.

At least I was still able to handle the LG. I never thought I'd say this, but LG is becoming my best section.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:21 am

177 / 171 / 176 on prep tests 43 / 44 / 45, respectively, over the weekend. The LG is much easier than it was in the 30s.

I'm still not clicking like I want to be on RC, and I'm only half way through the LR bible, so hopefully I can still improve some. Anyone else feel like the LRB is heavy on common sense? I just don't feel like I'm getting much out of it so I've been slow working my way through. It certainly doesn't come close to the LGB.

To those worried about studying while in school, consider yourselves lucky. I had more free time in my worst semester than I do working a corporate job now.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 am

I live outside States :)

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 am

TUP wrote:177 / 171 / 176 on prep tests 43 / 44 / 45, respectively, over the weekend. The LG is much easier than it was in the 30s.

I'm still not clicking like I want to be on RC, and I'm only half way through the LR bible, so hopefully I can still improve some. Anyone else feel like the LRB is heavy on common sense? I just don't feel like I'm getting much out of it so I've been slow working my way through. It certainly doesn't come close to the LGB.

To those worried about studying while in school, consider yourselves lucky. I had more free time in my worst semester than I do working a corporate job now.

#chuuuch studying while working a corporate job is tough. I read alot: The Economist, LA Times, NY Times, etc ... and point out flaws in the liberal reasoning during breaks :lol:

lparker

Postby lparker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am

Less than 5 weeks... I'm starting to get a little anxious.

eit, I'm rereading the LRB. I just saw where you posted this question. I'm not doing the questions at the end to save time. I had forgotten a few things.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 am

Has anyone read the Reading Comp Bible? I've gotten better at RC (generally -1 to -4) but I still think I need a boost somehow. Even if I can lower my average number wrong by 1 it would be worth it. Or should I just be drilling every day between now and test day?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 am

I haven't used the RC Bible, but FWIW, I really don't think if you're at -1 to -4 you need it. I think now it's refining your own technique or trying out new techniques borrowed from others rather than adopting a new style from Powerscore. But then agian, maybe they have some good advice regarded questions or something, I don't know.

I'm taking an exam at 9.30 AM, not sure if I've done on this early. Good to see if I have brain fog.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am

RCB was okay. Obviously skimming through it won't hurt. It won't take long to get through either.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Or should I just be drilling every day between now and test day?

I haven't read the RC bible. However, I still think I can say with confidence that this is the correct approach.

brickman

Postby brickman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Has anyone read the Reading Comp Bible? I've gotten better at RC (generally -1 to -4) but I still think I need a boost somehow. Even if I can lower my average number wrong by 1 it would be worth it. Or should I just be drilling every day between now and test day?

I had been laxing in reviewing RC, but once I started to do my review for RC in the same manner that I approached LR, I saw some gains, past couple of tests are -1,-2,-2.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Okay, I guess I won't bother with RCB. FWIW, I usually do well on the questions I have time to answer. Timing is my main problem, coupled with the decreased accuracy that comes with rushing through that last passage.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Has anybody else been intently examining the recent curves? I've spent a lot of time staring into the conversion chart for 55 through 60: --LinkRemoved--

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Okay, I guess I won't bother with RCB. FWIW, I usually do well on the questions I have time to answer. Timing is my main problem, coupled with the decreased accuracy that comes with rushing through that last passage.

I think the thing that sucks most about reading comp. is it's hard to answer questions with significant confidence. In games and LR, you can answer questions within 90-100% condfidence. However, for some of the questions in RC, you sometimes can't answer with better than 65% confidence. It's annoying because you keep thinking about that question or questions as you continue the section and it distracts you. At least this is my experience. I improved my RC timing and accuracy considerably once I decided I wasn't going to get 65% or less confidence get to me.

lparker

Postby lparker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

3|ink wrote:I think the thing that sucks most about reading comp. is it's hard to answer questions with significant confidence.

I totally agree! I freaking HATE RC questions that ask you to "title" the passage.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

3|ink wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Okay, I guess I won't bother with RCB. FWIW, I usually do well on the questions I have time to answer. Timing is my main problem, coupled with the decreased accuracy that comes with rushing through that last passage.

I think the thing that sucks most about reading comp. is it's hard to answer questions with significant confidence. In games and LR, you can answer questions within 90-100% condfidence. However, for some of the questions in RC, you sometimes can't answer with better than 65% confidence. It's annoying because you keep thinking about that question or questions as you continue the section and it distracts you. At least this is my experience. I improved my RC timing and accuracy considerably once I decided I wasn't going to get 65% or less confidence get to me.

Are you kidding me?! Ugh. Hell no! To me I usually feel close to 100% confident on whatever answer I choose. Whenever I feel that confident, Im usually right.

LR and LG on the other hand, LR especially, Ive felt extremely confident only to find out that the answer I chose was nowhere near what was supposed to be the correct answer.

Think about it this way. RC is just reading a passage and answering questions about it. You dont get asked anything crazy. Contrast that with LR where youre given a short stimulus telling you that birds can fly, asked what strengthens that argument and then have some crazy answer choices that say something like birds evolved at a faster pace than dinosaurs did, while dinosaurs evolved faster than racoons. This is a stupid example, but it illustrates that some answers in LR are really out there and seem to have nothing to do with the question that was asked.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm

gdane5 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Are you kidding me?! Ugh. Hell no! To me I usually feel close to 100% confident on whatever answer I choose. Whenever I feel that confident, Im usually right.

LR and LG on the other hand, LR especially, Ive felt extremely confident only to find out that the answer I chose was nowhere near what was supposed to be the correct answer.

Think about it this way. RC is just reading a passage and answering questions about it. You dont get asked anything crazy. Contrast that with LR where youre given a short stimulus telling you that birds can fly, asked what strengthens that argument and then have some crazy answer choices that say something like birds evolved at a faster pace than dinosaurs did, while dinosaurs evolved faster than racoons. This is a stupid example, but it illustrates that some answers in LR are really out there and seem to have nothing to do with the question that was asked.

Once I got a firm understanding on the thought process of the test makers and what in reality I was being asked LR/LG for me were easy to answer with near absolute confidence. A few LR types there are methods to check your answer and a few others knowing how to attack the question type makes it so you can often "paraphrase" the correct answer. Likewise, LG answers can *always* be checked if you have the spare time to do so. Personally I found RC answers more abstract and although the answers we always supported by some aspect of the passage it was difficult for me to feel completely confident with the answer choices I would select. I guess this just shows that we all have our different strengths and weaknesses and the test challenges each of us in different ways.

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:19 pm

So I'm pretty consistently getting -4 to -5 on LR. I haven't been able to break -4. I'm considering rereading one chapter per day of the LRB, because I basically skimmed it the first time through. Anyone think this should help, or should I spend that time just drilling more and more questions?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

leemalk wrote:So I'm pretty consistently getting -4 to -5 on LR. I haven't been able to break -4. I'm considering rereading one chapter per day of the LRB, because I basically skimmed it the first time through. Anyone think this should help, or should I spend that time just drilling more and more questions?

Are you missing a particular type of question more then others? Are you reviewing thoroughly the questions you are answering wrong? If so, are you understanding why you answered the question wrong?

Re-reading the LRB wouldn't be bad, but I would try to focus it on the question types that are giving you the most trouble, if at all possible.

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Tiva wrote:
leemalk wrote:So I'm pretty consistently getting -4 to -5 on LR. I haven't been able to break -4. I'm considering rereading one chapter per day of the LRB, because I basically skimmed it the first time through. Anyone think this should help, or should I spend that time just drilling more and more questions?

Are you missing a particular type of question more then others? Are you reviewing thoroughly the questions you are answering wrong? If so, are you understanding why you answered the question wrong?

Re-reading the LRB wouldn't be bad, but I would try to focus it on the question types that are giving you the most trouble, if at all possible.

Thanks for the advice. I always go back and thoroughly review every wrong answer, so I don't think that's the problem. Looking at some of my more recent PT's, I seem to miss a lot of Assumption, Method of Reasoning, or Flaw in Reasoning questions. I guess I'll focus on those in the LRB.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 pm

All 3 of the question types that youre stuggling with are interrelated. Assumptions are often used in arguments either correctly (method of reasoning) or incorrectly (flaw). Thats a good thing though. You know exactly what you need to target.

Good luck!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:54 pm

lparker wrote:
3|ink wrote:I think the thing that sucks most about reading comp. is it's hard to answer questions with significant confidence.

I totally agree! I freaking HATE RC questions that ask you to "title" the passage.

I absolutely adore those kinds of questions! For me, I hate the "analogy" type ones.

Also, I often feel a great deal of confidence in my RC answer - not always, there are some questions where it feels very unsure to me - but most main point/title/what is the author's feeling towards this, etc, all feel like little giveaway points to me.

Anyways, today I did my Prep Test much earlier in the morning than I had been (about an hour or so after I'd woken up, as well) - scored a 97 raw, 178 scaled. -2LR (alright), -0RC (much better!), -1LR (fine with this), -0LG (awesome!).

I had trouble with the second game - if anyone's done it, it's the light switches game. You sort of have to understand the relationship between the "circuit load" number and the switches that are on/off... once you get that you sort of roll with it. But it took me awhile and it was a bit of a "oh my god missing something here what am I missing?"

On the last game, I completely didn't understand a rule. The rule was, " Any day on which Kevin works is the first day during the week that some other staff member works." Of course, this means that if Kevin is working with Nan on Thursday, Nan can't have worked MTW. But I didn't really get it and thought it meant Kevin had to be on Monday? And then there was a question that was like "each of the following could be true except" and it had a bunch of different people on Monday so I was like, um, well, there's that theory blown. So I skipped a question and went on, and then finnnnally realized on the last question what the rule really meant, went back and double checked the first global question to make sure I had it right (I did), and then answered that could be true except.

That just gave me a lot more confidence that even if a game is giving me trouble on the real exam, I can take a deep breath, re-read the rules, figure out the inference, and get going.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Eit,

Youre awesome! 100% cool beans. Your scores have consistently been in the mid to high 170's. I envy you! But, I think its awesome. Enlighten me a bit, did you take any courses or did you just find that you were naturally good at LSAT questions?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm

gdane5 wrote:Eit,

Youre awesome! 100% cool beans. Your scores have consistently been in the mid to high 170's. I envy you! But, I think its awesome. Enlighten me a bit, did you take any courses or did you just find that you were naturally good at LSAT questions?

Thank you :). I do have a couple of low outliers though.

I've found I've made some sort of leap to the mid to high 170's since the last two weeks of August or so. Not sure how that happened, but am pleased with it.

I started off with a diagnostic of 159 (kind of useless, didn't realize there was a timing thing, did half the LG then went to bed and did the whole thing the next day lol) and then another semi-diagnostic of about 163.

No courses, just the Bibles <3. I was mid to high 160's before the Bibles. I got my LGB, worked through it in a week? Maybe 5 days or so. Then I went through 10 Actual and did every single LG game in that entire book haha (ruining all of those PTs for PT use, but at least it was the old ones) until I got a perfect score on an LG section. Then I got my LRB and that jumped me into the 170's. I've found increasing familiarity with the test is making it a lot easier, as well as trying to FOCUS and CONCENTRATE very hard.

I put my RC scores down to already having developed kick ass reading skills - I'm an English major, I've read about a book a day since I was five, and I own something like 500 books. Lol. That's the only area I feel really "naturally talented" in.

LR is down to FOCUS! CONCENTRATION! And the LRB.

LG is down to the LGB, completely. Love that LGB. Although I only read it once and don't actually 100% follow its methods all the time, lol. It just helped me learn my own style of diagramming. And not laws. Not laws are pretty cool.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm

It seems like youre one of those people that are naturally good at this stuff. Thats a good thing. Im improving every day, but slowly and steadily. I've already conceded that Im not going to get a 170+, but Im aiming for a 165ish or so.

You'll be fine though.

Also, I used to read a lot as a kid and then I stopped in high school. Now I regret that...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:28 pm

gdane5 wrote:Eit,

I think she was hired by the LSAC to make the rest of us look bad in comparison.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”