October 2010 Test Prep

s0ph1e2007

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:00 pm

I took the LSAT in february and although it is true that in taking the feb lsat you are always taking a chance because they test more things out on you than on tests that they have to report (thus not releasing the feb lsat ever), I, and 99% of the other test takers did feel that the LG section was very surprisingly time consuming. So finishing all the practice LGs is essential to doing well on the newest (past three I blieve) LSATs.
Just wanted to volunteer that info for anyone who is focusing on LG study right now.

Also, don't quit practicing just because you feel really prepared and you're PTing well right now. Keep trying to get better. Try to find a way (Even if it means completely changing your strategy) to take an average -2 down to an average -0, because MOST people who are PTing >170 score LOWER on the actual LSAT. I scored 5 lower.

kk, back to studying :)

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:....tell me your secret to RC.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive and definitely won't work for everyone, but I stopped underlining and taking notes. Now I just read the passage and at most underline maybe 2 or 3 words. On RC I typically did great on 3 of the passages and then just completely screwed the other one up because I missed one of the main points. I was averaging around -6 or -7 before I stopped underlining.

To me taking a lot of notes and underlining keeps you from seeing the "big picture" of the argument, because you are only concerned with word by word or sentence by sentence. Just reading the passage through without stopping allows you to understand the structure a lot better ( or at least helps me). I know it sounds kind of silly but it works for me. It will also save you a lot of time which is another big factor on RC. Since I have started doing it this way I've missed no more than 2 or 3 on an RC section. I also started doing the same thing with LR, and while it takes some getting used to and requires a lot of concentration and attention to detail, it has saved me a ton of time on the simpler questions and I typically get to questions 16-25 with about 20 minutes left.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:46 pm

aesis wrote:Sigh.

PT 44
LR -3/-3, RC -1, LG -0. 93/100 Raw, 173 scaled. Can anyone offer any input on how to break this LR wall (my PTs typically involved -3 LR's). Or any advice on consistently hitting 176+? That's my goal.

I review and try to identify patterns but these usually consist of:
- picking a contender answer choice over the correct one from failure to disqualify the contender based on one or two words that are out of scope
- not having enough time
- not picking a an AC that fits but I'm turned off by because it's really general/broad

Help! Or do I just need more practice? I'm taking PTs every other day until test day.

Your overall score record beats mine, so I'm not certain how helpful I can be. Never let general/broad answers turn you off. Honestly, I'm the other way around. I find that inference questions generally have very broad answer choices. I'm generally turned off by specific answer choices.

If specific words in answer choices are getting you, the best way to overcome that is to always be mindful of the exact conditions specified in the stimulus. The other day, I missed # 16 of LR 2, PT 49 because I failed to recognize how the argument emphasized 'most beautiful' instead of 'beautiful'. That probably would have allowed me to eliminate all of the incorrect answer choices. Whenever a stimulus describes a condition, you have to take every descriptive word very seriously. Don't just let one adjective serve as the only conditional description. I think that as you become more and more paranoid of this, it will be harder and harder for these little words to slip by.

lparker

Postby lparker » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 pm

PT38 177
LR (-2, -2)
RC (-2)
LG (-0)

It's hard to be excited, though... I feel like this had to be a fluke. Yesterday I was in the high 160's. My highest yet was a 171. I'm a 177 imposter. I've gotten a -1 in LR before, and I've had -0s in LG. My best RC was a -3. I guess everything just came together for my personal best? I wish that would happen on test day...

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:42 pm

lparker wrote:PT38 177
LR (-2, -2)
RC (-2)
LG (-0)

It's hard to be excited, though... I feel like this had to be a fluke. Yesterday I was in the high 160's. My highest yet was a 171. I'm a 177 imposter. I've gotten a -1 in LR before, and I've had -0s in LG. My best RC was a -3. I guess everything just came together for my personal best? I wish that would happen on test day...

Well, if you think it wont happen, then it wont you Dillhole! Be positive son. A 177 is amazing! Sure you havent gotten anything higher than 171 prior to this one, but this score sets you up to start scoring in the mid to high 170's. You'll be fine.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 pm

My LR scores are always great (pretty much always missing 0-2) and my RC is getting better (down to -3 from -7), but my LG is still BAD. I can never get thru the last game, and I just started getting TO the last game. I was averaging 3 games per and just doing a grab-a-rule and guessing on the other Qs, but now I am at least getting to it with time to actually work them. I guess with more practice I can get through it and actually get all of the answers right.

I think if I can get my LG down to -2 or less I will be GOLDEN

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 pm

Took PT 47 today and got a personal best of 169 :) How much harder does LG really get on the 50s because so far the 40s have been a joke when it comes to LG difficulty. I don't want to get over confident and think I am a beast at games.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Took PT 47 today and got a personal best of 169 :) How much harder does LG really get on the 50s because so far the 40s have been a joke when it comes to LG difficulty. I don't want to get over confident and think I am a beast at games.

Just make sure you get 50-60 done before October, so you'll know for yourself. I am wondering the same thing; I am doing well at LG but I haven't seen the worst of the 50-60s yet. I haven't done the dinosaur game that everyone talks about, or the mulch and stone game from PT60.

I wonder if they're worse than snakes and lizards. I did all right with that one, just because I saved it for last and I had a lot of time left.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:Took PT 47 today and got a personal best of 169 :) How much harder does LG really get on the 50s because so far the 40s have been a joke when it comes to LG difficulty. I don't want to get over confident and think I am a beast at games.

Just make sure you get 50-60 done before October, so you'll know for yourself. I am wondering the same thing; I am doing well at LG but I haven't seen the worst of the 50-60s yet. I haven't done the dinosaur game that everyone talks about, or the mulch and stone game from PT60.

I wonder if they're worse than snakes and lizards. I did all right with that one, just because I saved it for last and I had a lot of time left.

Oh ya, I am planning to hit 50 by friday and take all of the rest up until test day. Have you seen your score fluctuate a lot from the 40s Adjudicator? I feel like i am on a good stride but I keep hearing horror stories from the 50s (especially in the RC dept.).

P.S. FF12 is the best 3d FF. 'Nuff said.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

Oh ya, I am planning to hit 50 by friday and take all of the rest up until test day. Have you seen your score fluctuate a lot from the 40s Adjudicator? I feel like i am on a good stride but I keep hearing horror stories from the 50s (especially in the RC dept.).

My scores haven't changed much. Although other people say that RC has become harder, and perhaps it has, I still average -1 on RC. They might take me a little longer than the earlier ones did.

No question about it! 8)

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

My scores haven't changed much. Although other people say that RC has become harder, and perhaps it has, I still average -1 on RC. They might take me a little longer than the earlier ones did.

No question about it! 8)

What have you seen from LR and LG compared to the 40s?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:36 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:What have you seen from LR and LG compared to the 40s?

No change in LR either, for me... still getting -0 or -1. LG is not as ridiculously easy as some of the 40's were (I just reviewed the LG from #45 today and I can't believe how simple it is), but I haven't hit any brick walls yet.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

No change in LR either, for me... still getting -0 or -1. LG is not as ridiculously easy as some of the 40's were (I just reviewed the LG from #45 today and I can't believe how simple it is), but I haven't hit any brick walls yet.

Seems encouraging then, thanks! I still think the 30s and some late 20s still have some of the hardest games we've seen.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

Seems encouraging then, thanks! I still think the 30s and some late 20s still have some of the hardest games we've seen.

Yeah, many people say that although the 50s are harder than the 40s, they are both easier than the 30s. I haven't done all of the 50's yet, but I hope that is the case.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, many people say that although the 50s are harder than the 40s, they are both easier than the 30s. I haven't done all of the 50's yet, but I hope that is the case.

I'm happy about that because I think that of all the sections, LG has the potential to screw you up on test day. If there's a wacky game such as snakes and lizards, or one that you just don't "see," you can tank a quarter of a section on one missed inference, which might not be representative of your abilities.

Even if an LR or RC section is hard, I feel like they're a more even distribution of hard. It's unlikely you won't get anything from a passage, and each LR is standalone.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, many people say that although the 50s are harder than the 40s, they are both easier than the 30s. I haven't done all of the 50's yet, but I hope that is the case.

I'm happy about that because I think that of all the sections, LG has the potential to screw you up on test day. If there's a wacky game such as snakes and lizards, or one that you just don't "see," you can tank a quarter of a section on one missed inference, which might not be representative of your abilities.

Even if an LR or RC section is hard, I feel like they're a more even distribution of hard. It's unlikely you won't get anything from a passage, and each LR is standalone.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:24 pm

IMHO LG is no harder in 50's than 40's. In the 4 50's pts i've taken I went -0. In the 4 40's pt's i've gone -0 on three and -2 on 1.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

I agree with you. I'm very confident right now, but the one thing that I still fear is running into an LG set that I can't understand. If it takes me too long to figure out how to do it, I'm going to start panicking.

Gotta make sure that doesn't happen on test day.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 am

God, it's going to be freaking difficult studying for the LSAT and taking a full course load for undergrad. I just downloaded the syllabuses available to me from the online thing before classes start on Wednesday, and I am already stressing. Time to pull out my day planner lol. I'll just have to stick to my twice a week set aside for PTs and use time like bus time to get every bit of studying in I can.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:40 am

eit wrote:God, it's going to be freaking difficult studying for the LSAT and taking a full course load for undergrad. I just downloaded the syllabuses available to me from the online thing before classes start on Wednesday, and I am already stressing. Time to pull out my day planner lol. I'll just have to stick to my twice a week set aside for PTs and use time like bus time to get every bit of studying in I can.

Sounds pretty crazy to be doing all that. I applaud your devotion!

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:21 am

eit wrote:God, it's going to be freaking difficult studying for the LSAT and taking a full course load for undergrad. I just downloaded the syllabuses available to me from the online thing before classes start on Wednesday, and I am already stressing. Time to pull out my day planner lol. I'll just have to stick to my twice a week set aside for PTs and use time like bus time to get every bit of studying in I can.

I feel your pain..looks like I'm gonna have to do PTs at 6 in the morning before my classes start :(

Feeny

Postby Feeny » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

It seems like the testmakers are moving away from game-destroying inferences/templates. Now (late 50s and beyond), it's all about speed and hypos. I just redid LG 57 a few days ago. The dino game requires an inference, but the other three are relatively simple, but require plugging and chugging, which takes too much time. Too many CANNOT be trues and local questions for my liking, but maybe I just missed some inferences. Overall, I think the LG section is evolving, very few inferences are needed, speed is key.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 am

My classes started last week and i'm already feeling overwhelmed. Between the 30 hrs a week I put in at work, 16 credit hours, and the LSAT, I have absolutely no life and may not get everything done that I need to get done.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:50 am

Good luck everyone in school and studying. This was me a couple years ago, so I feel you. Realize that it's okay not to have a social life for the next month. You'll have the entire rest of the school year. God knows I wish I had realized that...I might not be retaking now!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:26 pm

yzero1 wrote:

I feel your pain..looks like I'm gonna have to do PTs at 6 in the morning before my classes start :(

Haha, I actually was sitting down last night with my schedule and going OH MY GOD HOW AM I GOING TO FIT THIS ALL IN? And considered some 6 am PTs. But since I have to leave at the latest 8.30, it didn't turn out to be feasible. I've got a PT scheduled Monday nights after I get home from my workout. I should have just enough time to eat dinner, do a PT, get ready for bed, and watch an episode of Gossip girl in my single hour of free time that day, haha. Except if I work Mondays, then I guess I'll cancel my workout on Wednesday afternoons and do it then. Friday is another PT day but it's not so bad since my classes end at 10.30 AM.

I've basically accepted the fact that I am going to have little to no social life for the next month or so. It'll be compressed to like, classes (which thankfully I have quite a few friends in), and study time in between classes hahaha. Oh dear.

But I agree, I'd prefer to give up my social life the first time round than have to take this beast twice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”