October 2010 Test Prep

Gemini

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:45 pm

nullisecundus wrote:My native language is Turkish. So no structural similarities with English, but at least the (almost) same alphabet, I guess it would be harder to reach the level in English sufficient to score high in LSAT if your native language had a different alphabet like Cyrillic (or w/e that Russian alphabet is called).

Lol, yes, the letters are cyrillic letters. :) I definitely agree that if English isn't your first language, and you're scoring so high, then major props to you!

It's so hard to believe it's already September. We're taking the test in just over a month. I hope to God that I'm ready. Been doing pretty good on most of the PT 30s but the test does change over time and I pray it won't impact my high scores... *crosses fingers*

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Just took Superprep C. 74 raw, 161 scaled. My best ever! I'm getting hot! Im getting hot! 158 to 159 to 161 over the last 3 days. Lets hope I can keep this up.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:28 pm

The last PT I took, 43, really drained my brain juices because of an interesting combination of events: The PT booklet was copied wrong so RC was at the end, and the experimental 3rd section was also RC so it was like: LR - LR - RC - LG - RC, and the RC of the PT was not fun, in the sense, I look at a passage, I say, "Oh sweet, only 45 lines" only to see the next column, 65 lines x.x. Still managed a 175 but I just want to take out my brain and put it in a jar of nutrients in a dark room until it heals.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:31 pm

nullisecundus wrote:The last PT I took, 43, really drained my brain juices because of an interesting combination of events: The PT booklet was copied wrong so RC was at the end, and the experimental 3rd section was also RC so it was like: LR - LR - RC - LG - RC, and the RC of the PT was not fun, in the sense, I look at a passage, I say, "Oh sweet, only 45 lines" only to see the next column, 65 lines x.x. Still managed a 175 but I just want to take out my brain and put it in a jar of nutrients in a dark room until it heals.

Why can't the RC be at the end?

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

gdane5 wrote:Just took Superprep C. 74 raw, 161 scaled. My best ever! I'm getting hot! Im getting hot! 158 to 159 to 161 over the last 3 days. Lets hope I can keep this up.

Congrats!

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Tiva wrote:
nullisecundus wrote:The last PT I took, 43, really drained my brain juices because of an interesting combination of events: The PT booklet was copied wrong so RC was at the end, and the experimental 3rd section was also RC so it was like: LR - LR - RC - LG - RC, and the RC of the PT was not fun, in the sense, I look at a passage, I say, "Oh sweet, only 45 lines" only to see the next column, 65 lines x.x. Still managed a 175 but I just want to take out my brain and put it in a jar of nutrients in a dark room until it heals.

Why can't the RC be at the end?

I did not mean it as a general rule, I just meant, in original booklet RC is 1st, so it would have been better if the original placement were to be preserved, since RC requires high amounts of information retention, the later it comes the harder it becomes, especially if the passages are abstract.

P.S: I think I just sent this reply as a PM also, dont know how that happened :shock:

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 pm

lparker wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Just took Superprep C. 74 raw, 161 scaled. My best ever! I'm getting hot! Im getting hot! 158 to 159 to 161 over the last 3 days. Lets hope I can keep this up.

Congrats!

Thank you! Going over the test found that I continue to make careless mistakes. I need to fix this! I like the pattern that my scores are following though. At this rate, since Im planning on taking 24 PT's by Oct 7th, Ill end up with a 183. Haha!

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:26 pm

gdane5 wrote:
lparker wrote:

Congrats!

Thank you! Going over the test found that I continue to make careless mistakes. I need to fix this! I like the pattern that my scores are following though. At this rate, since Im planning on taking 24 PT's by Oct 7th, Ill end up with a 183. Haha!

the following argument is true if what assumption is made... :mrgreen: congrats on your increase btw it's such a good feeling!

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Feeny wrote:
lastch2 wrote:did PT 50 yesterday, awful. -6 RC -2LR -1LG -3LR...168.

please, someone out there reading this tell me how to beat the morning fuzzies!!! this is really killing me!! and my stupid self just realized i'm signed up to take the test in eastern time, i'm in central time, which means to my brain it'll be like taking the test at 7:30am...i'm really freaking out about this morning thing!

edit: typo

I suggest you start getting up early tomorrow morning and get a routine going, find out your optimal level of caffeine, if you suffer from that addiction. The human body/mind is highly adaptable, but it is also a creature of routine. I find that after a few weeks of rising early, I no longer really need an alarm. Your body will adapt.

If you feel awful about a great score like 168, a score that many would kill their neighbor with a rusty spoon for, then I think you have the self-discipline to start getting up early enough to get your mind in the zone.

thanks, i've been trying this past week to keep my wake up time at 7am, but realized i actually need to get use to about 5:30 if i want to be 100% precise. oh well, what we do for the lsat, eh?

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 pm

lastch2 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
lparker wrote:

Congrats!

the following argument is true if what assumption is made... :mrgreen: congrats on your increase btw it's such a good feeling!

The assumption is that whats been true in the past will continue to be true in the future. Actually, thats the flaw in my reasoning. The assumption is that my score will continue to go up.

How embarrasing if Im wrong...

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 pm

gdane5 wrote:
lastch2 wrote:

The assumption is that whats been true in the past will continue to be true in the future. Actually, thats the flaw in my reasoning. The assumption is that my score will continue to go up.

How embarrasing if Im wrong...

no i think you're right. the assumption is that what has occured in the past will continue to occur in the future...the flaw in your reasoning is that assumption.

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Anyone doing 6 section PTs? I'm thinking about trying this on Saturdays and Sundays for the next 5 weeks since I have the untaken PTs to do it.

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Stuck at 163.
Any Advice? missing anywhere from (0-2 on games) ( 4 or 5 on RC - which gets better over time) and lots of LR. I have already read the bibles, I don't know why I cant get LR down.
I have gotten 166 on a practice test last week but seem to be hovering around 163. Im trying to break through.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Stuck at 163.
Any Advice? missing anywhere from (0-2 on games) ( 4 or 5 on RC - which gets better over time) and lots of LR. I have already read the bibles, I don't know why I cant get LR down.
I have gotten 166 on a practice test last week but seem to be hovering around 163. Im trying to break through.

Analyze your mistakes closely. Why did you choose the incorrect answer? Why didnt you choose the correct answer? Are your mistakes careless or do you sometimes simply not understand what the question is asking for?

Go through everything carefully.

Good luck!

florentine

Postby florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Same here... it stinks I just hit a wall around low 160's... Knockglock told me to try taking some untimed LR sections to make sure I have the concepts down which sounds good and where are you missing most of your LR?? Is it later in the section becaue you do not have enough time? If so try doing 15 in 15 minutes and have more time for the rest of the section...

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:35 pm

florentine wrote:

Same here... it stinks I just hit a wall around low 160's... Knockglock told me to try taking some untimed LR sections to make sure I have the concepts down which sounds good and where are you missing most of your LR?? Is it later in the section becaue you do not have enough time? If so try doing 15 in 15 minutes and have more time for the rest of the section...

Nope. Bad advice. Rushing ones self on questions that one is most likely to get correct in order to give oneself more time to work on questions that one is less likely to get correct is not a good idea. You risk not getting the ones you should get correct correct and you very possibly may not get that many of the hard ones correct.

florentine

Postby florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

gdane5 wrote:
florentine wrote:

Nope. Bad advice. Rushing ones self on questions that one is most likely to get correct in order to give oneself more time to work on questions that one is less likely to get correct is not a good idea. You risk not getting the ones you should get correct correct and you very possibly may not get that many of the hard ones correct.

Again it would be a technique that would be practiced so it could help if applied correctly...

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:49 pm

TUP wrote:Anyone doing 6 section PTs? I'm thinking about trying this on Saturdays and Sundays for the next 5 weeks since I have the untaken PTs to do it.

I haven't done any yet, but since in my original plan, September was supposed to be ENDURANCE! month (July = Accuracy, August = Speed), but since speed was never really an issue, except for LG, and I have a giant stack of repeat LGs with which to practice every day until Oct 9th, that was all covered.

I think I'll do two 6 section PTs. Maybe like, do half of an earlier PT I haven't done (in the 30's), plus a full newer test. Then the day after the next day (as LG would phrase it haha), I'll take the other half of the 30's test, and another full newer test. That way, since I'm doing half of a full test, I can score the two halves and see what I would have gotten, so I don't slack on my experimentals :). Not that I ever do, -0ing a section is almost as satisfying as a high score overall for me.

I think I'll do half of PT #33 tomorrow, and all of PT #49. Then on Sunday, the other half of PT #33, and PT #51.

Perhaps I'll even try doing two tests, one after another, to REALLY build up endurance. (Like, 8 sections). I'll probably use two earlier tests for that... what do I have left. Okay, I'll do PT #47 first, then PT #37 second. That way if I'm totally dead by the second test, well, I won't have "wasted" a newer test. Okay, that's the plan for Tuesday.

So here's my upcoming PT schedule:
Friday: 1/2 PT #33, PT #49 (6 Section)
Sunday: 1/2 PT #33, PT #51 (6 Section)
Tuesday: PT #47, PT #37 (8 Section)

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Timing isn't my problem I usually finish with a few mins left.
My two toughest question types are parallel reasoning and assumption with sufficient/neccs.
Other than that I just miss ones, and when I go back to them I usually get them right off the bat.
Idk its massively frustrating though!
I was shooting for a 169 or better
but darn LR =/

Thanks for your guys help though its really appreciated

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm

taking PT 29 tonight. One of the last older PTs before I get into finishing out the rest of the ~10 or so more recent ones I have left. Also my last PT taken at night.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Timing isn't my problem I usually finish with a few mins left.
My two toughest question types are parallel reasoning and assumption with sufficient/neccs.
Other than that I just miss ones, and when I go back to them I usually get them right off the bat.
Idk its massively frustrating though!
I was shooting for a 169 or better
but darn LR =/

Thanks for your guys help though its really appreciated

Remember to use the Assumption negation technique. This is immensely helpful.

As for the parallel reasoning, theyre tough, but not impossible. Go over the logical reasoning bibles section again. I went over the section, took down notes and did the examples in Kaplan mastery and since then I've had very little problems with Parallel reasoning.

Good luck!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:18 pm

eit wrote:
TUP wrote:Anyone doing 6 section PTs? I'm thinking about trying this on Saturdays and Sundays for the next 5 weeks since I have the untaken PTs to do it.

I think I'll do two 6 section PTs. Maybe like, do half of an earlier PT I haven't done (in the 30's), plus a full newer test. Then the day after the next day (as LG would phrase it haha), I'll take the other half of the 30's test, and another full newer test. That way, since I'm doing half of a full test, I can score the two halves and see what I would have gotten, so I don't slack on my experimentals :). Not that I ever do, -0ing a section is almost as satisfying as a high score overall for me.

So here's my upcoming PT schedule:
Friday: 1/2 PT #33, PT #49 (6 Section)
Sunday: 1/2 PT #33, PT #51 (6 Section)
Tuesday: PT #47, PT #37 (8 Section)

But whyyyy?
I can see the advantage of taking 5 sections with no break but 6 and 8 section PTs? I personally think that's overdoing it a bit but to each his/her own. :)

the real section 6 on the test is writing and take it from someone who has taken the LSAT already: section 6 feels wonderful. You love it because it's over and all that's left is what isn't graded. It's a huge relief.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Been practicing timed RC sections today and am finally accepting that I probably won't get into a T14 school. Oh well.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

After having a bad day today (I'm in the middle of moving :?) and not having any time to drill the LSAT, I was feeling a bit down about it, but then I sat down and did the LG section of PT27 (the infamous "snakes and lizards").

In the words of Andy Bernard..... Nailed it! :) I finished the section in 31 minutes, -0. So now I'm feeling pretty good. My skills must be coming together.

I saved the snakes and lizards one for last and did the other 3 first... I think I had 15 minutes left for snakes and lizards and it must have taken me about 11. :lol:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:52 am

I took PT 29 now. On the first section, LR, I missed 1 and that was because i completely missed the worst LEAST in the stem.

LR 2 was the last section. -8 and ran out of time really.
:oops:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”