October 2010 Test Prep

Gemini

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Well I'm super excited.

Scored a 176 on PT 33. That's my highest yet! Omgomgomg whoo hoo!

Breakdown:

LR: -1
RC: -5
LR2: -1
LG: -0 my first -0 section!

Feeny

Postby Feeny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Well I'm super excited.

Scored a 176 on PT 33. That's my highest yet! Omgomgomg whoo hoo!

Breakdown:

LR: -1
RC: -5
LR2: -1
LG: -0 my first -0 section!

Well done. If you can -0 the brutal 30s games, you should be able to annihilate the 40s games with minutes to spare.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 am

I love how it's called a -0, not a 100% right. I tell my mom, "I minus zeroed a section today!" and she gives me a look. I swear, when I go back to school in the fall, I'm going to be asking people, "Oh, how did you do on part b? I totally minus zeroed it."

millanda

Postby millanda » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:14 am

gdane5 wrote:Hahahaha! You must not have seen my comment above. I also took Superprep A today and scored a 158.

I felt that the 3rd game was difficult and the last LR section was also more difficult than the first. The RC section was very straightforward. Interesting passages. This test wasnt that difficult. After going over my results I saw I made a lot of careless mistakes. Only a few (5 max) questions were questions that I had no clue what the hell they were asking for.

I think youre in a great position. A 163 is a great score to begin with, especially if this is your diagnostic. You can only go up from here. Go over what you got wrong, as well as correct, figure out why you got the questions wrong/correct and address those issues. Take PT's to put those fixes into use and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Ha! Funny we took the same test on the same day. Yeah, I got the first two logic games right (granted, not very quickly), but I got half of the third game wrong and then didn't get to answer more than the first question for the last game, bringing me to a -9. Not OK. I really need to get my act together about logic games...

I think logical reasoning has clicked, because I don't really think about it in terms of what the Powerscore bible said. I just read and answer mechanically, and I tend to get around -3. I'd like to improve that, sure, but I'm definitely satisfied that that's the score I get while rushing.

Now I have to go back and see why I got those questions wrong. Ugh, I hope I'll get better in the next month. School and work are not helping the studying process. The preptest I squeezed in today was interrupted by phone calls, pizza delivery, etc. Gotta love it.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm

I haven't done any LSAT today or yesterday. I'm going to a concert tonight (Slayer + Megadeth), and on Friday I have my NU interview and won't be back home till Monday. I guess this will be a test for how well all this stuff sticks.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:09 pm

I basically took a week off then scored a 180 so I'm hoping mine is just... STUCK IN THERE. And/or it has become intuitive at this point, I don't know.

Does anyone else feel like they comprehend some LR/RC questions at like, a weird, subconscious/intuitive kind of level? As in, you just get into this question answering groove and the right question just is... RIGHT I don't know. Like you can't fully explain why you feel its right but it is right (and you do get it right), I don't know.

Like, if I sat down and was asked, why is this right, I could explain. But in the moment it becomes like this LSAT flow haha....

I probably sound insane. Not sure how to describe what I'm talking about haha.

Also, I found out one of my childhood friends who is a bit older than me (our parents were friends) is also taking the LSAT at my location! I haven't seen her in years so I wonder if I'll recognize her. Apparently she hasn't started studying yet though lol.

Feeny

Postby Feeny » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

eit wrote:I basically took a week off then scored a 180 so I'm hoping mine is just... STUCK IN THERE. And/or it has become intuitive at this point, I don't know.

Does anyone else feel like they comprehend some LR/RC questions at like, a weird, subconscious/intuitive kind of level? As in, you just get into this question answering groove and the right question just is... RIGHT I don't know. Like you can't fully explain why you feel its right but it is right (and you do get it right), I don't know.

Like, if I sat down and was asked, why is this right, I could explain. But in the moment it becomes like this LSAT flow haha....

Also, I found out one of my childhood friends who is a bit older than me (our parents were friends) is also taking the LSAT at my location! I haven't seen her in years so I wonder if I'll recognize her. Apparently she hasn't started studying yet though lol.

Sounds like Zen and the Art of the LSAT. Powerscore should try to market that. They are arrogant enough to produce their own bibles, why not have a go at eastern philosophy as well. I can see it now...three week retreats filled will logic game drills, not blocks, parallel reasoning, and overachieving law school hopefuls trying to contort their stressed bodies into the full lotus posture, staring at a blank wall, practicing zazen. I'd sign up for that.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm

millanda wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Hahahaha! You must not have seen my comment above. I also took Superprep A today and scored a 158.

I felt that the 3rd game was difficult and the last LR section was also more difficult than the first. The RC section was very straightforward. Interesting passages. This test wasnt that difficult. After going over my results I saw I made a lot of careless mistakes. Only a few (5 max) questions were questions that I had no clue what the hell they were asking for.

I think youre in a great position. A 163 is a great score to begin with, especially if this is your diagnostic. You can only go up from here. Go over what you got wrong, as well as correct, figure out why you got the questions wrong/correct and address those issues. Take PT's to put those fixes into use and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Ha! Funny we took the same test on the same day. Yeah, I got the first two logic games right (granted, not very quickly), but I got half of the third game wrong and then didn't get to answer more than the first question for the last game, bringing me to a -9. Not OK. I really need to get my act together about logic games...

I think logical reasoning has clicked, because I don't really think about it in terms of what the Powerscore bible said. I just read and answer mechanically, and I tend to get around -3. I'd like to improve that, sure, but I'm definitely satisfied that that's the score I get while rushing.

Now I have to go back and see why I got those questions wrong. Ugh, I hope I'll get better in the next month. School and work are not helping the studying process. The preptest I squeezed in today was interrupted by phone calls, pizza delivery, etc. Gotta love it.

Thats not that bad. My mom decided to vacuum midway through my test, a UPS guy came by and I had a strong urge to pee by section 4. Whatevs. I'm taking Superprep B tomorrow and I expect at least a 160. :mrgreen:

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Feeny wrote:
eit wrote:I basically took a week off then scored a 180 so I'm hoping mine is just... STUCK IN THERE. And/or it has become intuitive at this point, I don't know.

Sounds like Zen and the Art of the LSAT. Powerscore should try to market that. They are arrogant enough to produce their own bibles, why not have a go at eastern philosophy as well. I can see it now...three week retreats filled will logic game drills, not blocks, parallel reasoning, and overachieving law school hopefuls trying to contort their stressed bodies into the full lotus posture, staring at a blank wall, practicing zazen. I'd sign up for that.

I would sign up for this in a heartbeat.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 pm

does anyone have trouble gearing up for rc work? I get excited to work on LR and LG, but when I open up a section of RC i have to force myself to practice, even though self mutilation would be a more enjoyable option?

Any ideas to make RC not as totureous? ( <---most likely spelling fail)

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm

northwood wrote:does anyone have trouble gearing up for rc work? I get excited to work on LR and LG, but when I open up a section of RC i have to force myself to practice, even though self mutilation would be a more enjoyable option?

Read more during your leisure time. Ive always been one to read the newspaper in the morning, but for last 3 or so months Ive forced myself to read articles in full. This means no skimming through them or taking shortcuts. I dont read every article, only the ones that interest me, so this doesnt take that long. Also, reading the editorials and the opinion pages has helped me. Reading books, etc etc. Just read more.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Is it just me or are the RC passages in Superprep A a bit hard?

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 pm

You're not alone. From a personal standpoint, I have trouble solely with passages containing subject matter I am not remotely interested in. They all have one thing in common: History. My Achilles heel. I'm getting into the groove of reading books detailing the life of Don Juan and The New York Times. It helps me focus on RC, although I still find the passages grueling.

Good luck!!

northwood wrote:does anyone have trouble gearing up for rc work? I get excited to work on LR and LG, but when I open up a section of RC i have to force myself to practice, even though self mutilation would be a more enjoyable option?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 pm

HAHA eit, I definitely feel you. Sometimes, when I'm just going through problems, and listening to music, I can do POE by saying, "no this doesn't sound right" and usually end up at the right answer. More by recognizing wrong answers than by recognizing the correct one, but I suppose it works, lol.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

HAHA eit, I definitely feel you. Sometimes, when I'm just going through problems, and listening to music, I can do POE by saying, "no this doesn't sound right" and usually end up at the right answer. More by recognizing wrong answers than by recognizing the correct one, but I suppose it works, lol.

Yeah, the more I practice the LSAT, the more this becomes the way I function. I do a quick POE on almost every question because I can spot the irrelevant and opposite answers so fast. I'm getting to the point where I can often predict what the correct answer will say before I even read the answers.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 am

So, after scoring high 160's and low 170's for six straight practice tests I have now scored mid 160's twice in a row. I have no idea what is going on and am about to freak out.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:27 am

Patriot1208 wrote:So, after scoring high 160's and low 170's for six straight practice tests I have now scored mid 160's twice in a row. I have no idea what is going on and am about to freak out.

Burn out? Which PTs are you scoring low on?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So, after scoring high 160's and low 170's for six straight practice tests I have now scored mid 160's twice in a row. I have no idea what is going on and am about to freak out.

The past two PT's I took were 42 and 43. I scored 167-174 on 54, 55, 56, and the Superpreps.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

The past two PT's I took were 42 and 43. I scored 167-174 on 54, 55, 56, and the Superpreps.

I'm right there with you man. I haven't been able to concentrate at all these past two days. I'm told the only cure is rest and relaxation.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Well I would think the 54-56 PTs would be a more accurate reflection of your abilities.

Maybe you need a break?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Well I would think the 54-56 PTs would be a more accurate reflection of your abilities.

Maybe you need a break?

I already don't do LSAT stuff everyday. Really only like 4-5 days a week and I took a week off for vacation like three weeks ago.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 am

mynjb26 wrote:Is it just me or are the RC passages in Superprep A a bit hard?

I did these yesterday. The only passage I found difficult was the last one with the Marachel guy. The other passages were interesting and fun. I was captivated by the Marriage and feminine passages.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:15 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Yeah, the more I practice the LSAT, the more this becomes the way I function. I do a quick POE on almost every question because I can spot the irrelevant and opposite answers so fast. I'm getting to the point where I can often predict what the correct answer will say before I even read the answers.

Lol yeah, it's kind of awesome when you can get into that headstate. I just sort of float through some of the questions - although some of them I still have to re-read 8 times to arrive at the answer, those ones are not floaty and zen-like. But I'm getting better at finding the answer.

I love POE because some answers amuse the heck out of me, like ad hominem when it's totally not and you're like THAT IS SO WRONG HAHA THANKS FOR THE GIMME ANSWER or in LG when a question isn't that global set up question but you can eliminate 3 choices by the rules - I feel so pleased with the test makers haha.

And whoever said Zen and the art of the LSAT, yes, pretty much.

And northwood (I think this was you, or whoever asked for RC tips) - if you can't spell torturous on demand, you are NOT reading enough. Readdddddd.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 am

Reporting in. Did 5 LRs today. -4, -2, -0, -1, -0.

Freaked when I got a -4 on the first section but then got myself together and did alright on the other four. I need to keep practicing these and not get too confidant because some questions still throw me off and I am still prone to one or two dumb mistakes as -4 proves. I don't seem to have too much of a problem with timing. I usually have at least a minute for the last question and frequently finish the section with a couple of minutes to spare. This is my home, I can not offord to lose points here.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:16 am

I'll sound off, too.
Hit another 172 on PT 37 the other day. 93 raw, which is tolerable, but I tell myself no it's not.

Completed the sections from PT 22 timed and got a 177.

Tonight I was being lazy and played Robot Unicorn before deciding to actually do my planned LR section from PT 23 and got stuck on Question 9 for a few minutes because I wasn't processing the text. Missed 3 on this section.

I guess I shouldn't be lazy before a section or else I just waste it. I'm annoyed :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”