October 2010 Test Prep

leemalk

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby leemalk » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Got a 164 on PT 25 this morning. First time I've done a full 5 section test with an experimental section, and I think the results reflect that. Even though I didn't feel completely brain dead in the last section, upon reviewing the answers I made some pretty stupid mistakes. I found the LG to be relatively tough, or maybe I was just having an off day. Here's my breakdown:
LR -4 (Experimental)
RC -4
LR -5
LG -6
LR -6
Raw: 81

My other three PT's were 160, 163, 160 but I did them without an experimental section, so I'm somewhat encouraged by today's result. Hoping to eventually reach the 170's - I'll try again tomorrow...

TUP

Postby TUP » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm a fan of 5 hour energy as well. Maybe it's a placebo effect more than anything, but it works.

If you're the jittery type, obviously avoid any and all energy drinks.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:39 pm

I've never tried 5 Hour Energy before but I looked it up online and the reviews are so overwhelmingly positive that I'm going out to buy one today and see how it affects me.

If I like it, I'll probably use one on the morning of the test.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Energy drinks, especially those Monster, Rockstar and Redbull ones, are pure simple sugar. These are notorious for giving one a quick boost that lasts about an hour and then a quick crash that lasts anywhere from 2-4 hours. Some people claim that they help, and they very may well, but its just not smart to use this stuff. There are much better alternatives that wont leave you fatigued and crashed either midway or at the end of the test.

My choices? Banana's, peaches, granola bars, oatmeal and about 6 ginkgo biloba pills. That gets me going all day long! :shock:

Except when they're not. I only drink sugar-free.

Sugar free is even worse. Then youre not getting any boost whatsoever. Well, no more than what you would get from drinking plain coffee. Also, those sugar free drinks have aspartame. Aspartame can dehydrate you and a dehydrated brain is no good.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:07 pm

eit wrote:
gdane5 wrote:So youre going to stay hunched over your computer for 3 straight weeks? Wow... youre a trooper.

In all seriousness, Im sure you'll do spectacular. Youre in a good position right now. Even at your "weakest" your scores are still really good.

Also, I'll have to look into the blue pencils. Blue is my favorite color.

One last thing, I wore a red track suit to the Sept LSAT. Not doing that again...

Lol, I hope not! I'll be torn between trying to make myself as busy as possible to forget about it and the irrational desire to check my LSAC page for changes way too early and way too frequently, I'm sure.

And thank you, I'm just hoping that I can score within the lower range of my average (at least 170 would be nice). So I feel in good position if I don't let test day nerves/not sleeping get the best of me! I'm scheduling my higher intensity workout for Fridays so I'll be tired that night :).

Staedlater, man. White erasers. They look very professional. I got a matching eraser but I'm not cracking it open until that day, haha.

I just got an image of Sue Sylvester in my head. Was it matching?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:04 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Energy drinks, especially those Monster, Rockstar and Redbull ones, are pure simple sugar. These are notorious for giving one a quick boost that lasts about an hour and then a quick crash that lasts anywhere from 2-4 hours. Some people claim that they help, and they very may well, but its just not smart to use this stuff. There are much better alternatives that wont leave you fatigued and crashed either midway or at the end of the test.

My choices? Banana's, peaches, granola bars, oatmeal and about 6 ginkgo biloba pills. That gets me going all day long! :shock:

Sugar free is even worse. Then youre not getting any boost whatsoever. Well, no more than what you would get from drinking plain coffee. Also, those sugar free drinks have aspartame. Aspartame can dehydrate you and a dehydrated brain is no good.

You are misinformed.

Sugar-free energy drinks including Monster, Rockstar, Wired, Amp, and most others that I know are all sweetened with Splenda (sucralose) and acesulfame potassium. They do not contain aspartame. I do not consume aspartame.

So, I choose to drink a sugar-free energy drink instead of coffee. I don't like coffee. And you apparently don't dispute that caffeine alone gives a boost. So what is your problem?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Got a 173 on PT 32 today. 178 untimed. I did the best yet on LR:

LR: -1
RC: -5
LG: -2

I'm so excited. I was really worried because I did really badly on PT 31 (I wasn't 100% healthy and looking back, I made some truly dumb mistakes).

RC continues to be my most difficult section. Hopefully, lots of practice will help that out.

I plan on taking PT 33-38, 40, 42, 44, 46-56, 59-60 all before October 9. That's about 22 tests in just over a month.

ONE question though: Section ONE, question 22. Very confusing. Please help? I chose the correct answer but am not sure why it's correct.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 pm

did 2 sections of difficult games ( the ones with the odd set ups and rules)
scored a 46/56 combined. Did the sections under timed conditions and were able to complete each section in time.
Very happy with how I scored on this section. When I went back over my wrong answers, I was able to see and understand why the credited response was the right answer, and where I made the mistake.

DasBoot

Postby DasBoot » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 pm

In the last 10 days or so, I finally reached the point where I can complete the LGs in time with my target accuracy. I just worked through PT11S01 and when I finished the last problem I looked down at my watch and had five minutes left. I remember back to when I was taking an hour to do those section, boy those were terrifying days. Answer choice F.) "How the hell would I know!?" was the answer to many a question before I worked through the LG Bible.

Now, if only I could miss two fewer LR questions per section and get my timing on RC down, I'll be golden for October.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Got a 177 on PT 45, with a -1 LR experimental up front. Very happy ^_^ though my RC seems to be getting worse.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 pm

New to this forum.

Got a 167 last December, but have been doing practice sections in my off time whenever I can ever since to keep fresh if I do retake it. I took my 1st full test in 8+ months today, and based off my performance am retaking the test.

Got a 178 with a -4 overall. i got a perfect score in LG, but have always gotten a perfect score in this section. overall my biggest improvement since the real deal was in LR: I got -1 on both sections combined, and finished the sections in under 30 minutes. -2 had been my previous best.

My big deal is -3 in RC. I finished with 0 seconds left, and had to guesstimate on the last 4 questions (i.e. scan the choices for something that looked like what i expected the answer to be, and circled without fully even reading the choice -- actually worked 4/4.) but i don't feel comfortable when i do a passage with <7 minutes or in the Science Passage where I lost all 3 of my points, and spent 11.5 minutes in to make sure I wouldn't go 3/6.

Any tips here would be appreciated. I never miss an LG and am rock solid in LR. I'd gladly trade tips there for tips on RC.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 pm

There are quite a few tips/personal RC strategies in this thread, try a few pages back.

jlee282

Postby jlee282 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Hey guys!

I'm still studying the sections untimed, so my results are really nothing. But for what it's worth, I usually get about 2-3 wrongs per section, and both my RC and LG have been under the 35 minute mark..

LR is what really gets me though, and I was wondering if you all could help me out? It seems that everytime I run into a justify principle type question, I just freeze up..
I own both the LRB and the Atlas prep book, but I just can't get these down! I ran a search through the TLS forum to see if anyone offered a good advice, but I couldn't really find one that could help me.. Anyone know how to plow through these questions like a pro?

Thanks a lot : (.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 pm

eit wrote:There are quite a few tips/personal RC strategies in this thread, try a few pages back.

i know about the pretending to be interested technique. that was the diff from -8 to -5 for me on my actual test. i need to go from -3 to -4 to 0 by October with minimal studying.

I have 1.5 yrs experience with this thingie, and am a quick learner. i just need that one further approach in RC, and i have a real shot at the 180.

here's what i do now:

1.) Separate Viewpoints
2.) Write ex or ev on the side w an arrow in the passage to where the ev is so i know what it supports, and where it's located.
3.) Pay close attention to new/differing opinions.
4.) Picture the dude talking to get a feel for his tone.

FYI, I'm very good with answering the questions. I never miss an Inference (I miss the other LR in RC, and some detail q's when I'm pressed for time and don't have time to go back in.) For me, it's really all about the reading.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:32 pm

jlee282 wrote:Hey guys!

I'm still studying the sections untimed, so my results are really nothing. But for what it's worth, I usually get about 2-3 wrongs per section, and both my RC and LG have been under the 35 minute mark..

LR is what really gets me though, and I was wondering if you all could help me out? It seems that everytime I run into a justify principle type question, I just freeze up..
I own both the LRB and the Atlas prep book, but I just can't get these down! I ran a search through the TLS forum to see if anyone offered a good advice, but I couldn't really find one that could help me.. Anyone know how to plow through these questions like a pro?

Look for the missing link. A lot of times there will be a new word/new subject/new thing thrown in the conclusion. You have to find something connecting the new bit with the rest of the stimulus. Like the best justify question ever, the anger is a visceral emotion one.

The stimulus is something like "It is always healthy to express visceral emotions. Therefore it is always healthy to express anger." And the missing link explains the connection between anger and the rest of the stim - anger is a visceral emotion.

justadude55 wrote:
eit wrote:There are quite a few tips/personal RC strategies in this thread, try a few pages back.

i know about the pretending to be interested technique. that was the diff from -8 to -5 for me on my actual test. i need to go from -3 to -4 to 0 by October with minimal studying.

I have 1.5 yrs experience with this thingie, and am a quick learner. i just need that one further approach in RC, and i have a real shot at the 180.

here's what i do now:

1.) Separate Viewpoints
2.) Write ex or ev on the side w an arrow in the passage to where the ev is so i know what it supports, and where it's located.

FYI, I'm very good with answering the questions. I never miss an Inference (I miss the other LR in RC, and some detail q's when I'm pressed for time and don't have time to go back in.) For me, it's really all about the reading.

You know about the pretend you're interested technique. Okay? That's not all the advice that's a few pages back, if that's what you're talking about. I wrote out my entire strategy that nets me -0 to -1 (sometimes -2 if I'm being an idiot).

You're really good with answering the questions, but you still get -3 or -4? So what are you getting wrong? You must be missing some questions (3 or 4 per section), so you're not good with all of them.

So is that detail questions (that you don't have time for) --> you have to speed up your reading/answering in order to have time for every detail question. That's really the only way I think you can avoid having time crunch mistakes, unless someone has some helpful advice about how to cut down time besides practice.

I'm not sure what you mean about "other LR in RC." What kind of question are you talking about here?

If you post more about what types of questions you're missing, more focused advice can be given about how to tackle those.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

You are misinformed.

Sugar-free energy drinks including Monster, Rockstar, Wired, Amp, and most others that I know are all sweetened with Splenda (sucralose) and acesulfame potassium. They do not contain aspartame. I do not consume aspartame.

So, I choose to drink a sugar-free energy drink instead of coffee. I don't like coffee. And you apparently don't dispute that caffeine alone gives a boost. So what is your problem?

I wasnt trying to argue with you at all. Whatever you drink prior to an exam is up to you. I was just pointing out that in general many of these energy drinks arent good to consume prior to the LSAT.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Did PT 56 today as a diag with my testmasters class. Got a 164. Did PT49 on my own and got a 163. I'm realistically pushing for a 165 by October, which I'm confident I could get.

However, LR is kicking my asscot. I always seem to get the first 20-22 right, and get the last 5-6 wrong. ALL wrong. Like those are where my only wrong questions are consistently. Is it a problem of fatigue or an even worse problem of those being really hard and me being incapable of getting them right?

btw, best case scenario is me getting a games section like the one on PT49. :D

jlee282

Postby jlee282 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:09 pm

eit wrote:
Look for the missing link. A lot of times there will be a new word/new subject/new thing thrown in the conclusion. You have to find something connecting the new bit with the rest of the stimulus. Like the best justify question ever, the anger is a visceral emotion one.

The stimulus is something like "It is always healthy to express visceral emotions. Therefore it is always healthy to express anger." And the missing link explains the connection between anger and the rest of the stim - anger is a visceral emotion.

So would you say that I should treat the justify principle question as an assumption q? (as in, negate, see if it hurts, etc?)
thanks!

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 am

After finishing the last 4 or 5 LG sections with minutes to spare, I did PT41 today, the one with the people seated around a table, and I went a minute over the time limit. :( Plus I missed 2, one on that game and one on the game with the four songs.

Stupid circular table game.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:14 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Got a 173 on PT 32 today. 178 untimed. I did the best yet on LR:

RC: -5
LG: -2

I'm so excited. I was really worried because I did really badly on PT 31 (I wasn't 100% healthy and looking back, I made some truly dumb mistakes).

RC continues to be my most difficult section. Hopefully, lots of practice will help that out.

I plan on taking PT 33-38, 40, 42, 44, 46-56, 59-60 all before October 9. That's about 22 tests in just over a month.

Wow, your score is seriously rising exponentially. Mind posting your full range of scores that you've taken?

ONE question though: Section ONE, question 22. Very confusing. Please help? I chose the correct answer but am not sure why it's correct.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:01 am

eit wrote:
jlee282 wrote:Hey guys!

justadude55 wrote:

here's what i do now:

1.) Separate Viewpoints

You know about the pretend you're interested technique. Okay? That's not all the advice that's a few pages back, if that's what you're talking about. I wrote out my entire strategy that nets me -0 to -1 (sometimes -2 if I'm being an idiot).

You're really good with answering the questions, but you still get -3 or -4? So what are you getting wrong? You must be missing some questions (3 or 4 per section), so you're not good with all of them.

So is that detail questions (that you don't have time for) --> you have to speed up your reading/answering in order to have time for every detail question. That's really the only way I think you can avoid having time crunch mistakes, unless someone has some helpful advice about how to cut down time besides practice.

I'm not sure what you mean about "other LR in RC." What kind of question are you talking about here?

If you post more about what types of questions you're missing, more focused advice can be given about how to tackle those.

hey i was looking through it until about 59 (going back)... only saw that part.

is there a way to search particular posts?

yes, clearly i still need work with the questions. what i meant was: if i know what they're talking about, i always get the inference questions right. and even when i have no idea, i can still identify how something fits into the main point of the paragraph or the passage for a logic function question.

my issue is science passages. today, one of them was on LHF's or what not, some meteors on the moon and i pretended to be interested, but just didn't get it. this was with 11 1/2 minutes, and obviously my strategy was not good here because it left me with only 14 minutes combined for the last 2 passages. fortunately, i went 15/15 here because i was able to knock out the questions relatively quickly, and circled as soon as i found a choice i couldn't debate with, but on the real test, i'm probably not going to be lucky to have so many A's and B's at the end of the section.

other LR in RC means like principle and strengthen/weaken -- you norm see 1-2 a section, and i'm 50/50 on those, which is annoying because i'm 100% on every assumption type question in LR... something about the complexity and length of the RC denies me of these reasoning skills.
Last edited by justadude55 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:04 am

Anaconda, I will PM you.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=113348&start=1500

I wrote a 7 step process. Although admittedly I only chose 7 steps because 7 is the most powerful magical number according to Tom Riddle.

Hmm. I'm really not sure what kind of help I can give you. I really hate science passages as well. I just read them a lot slower than I read any of the others, much underlining, and much re-reading, and re-referencing with the passage.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Is it normal to get like -9 on my first LR section of the day and then start hitting like -4, -3, -2 etc. as I continue?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Dripworx wrote:Is it normal to get like -9 on my first LR section of the day and then start hitting like -4, -3, -2 etc. as I continue?

Is it normal to do 4 LR sections in one day?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”