October 2010 Test Prep

lparker

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:05 pm

psychlaw wrote:You guys know that hoodies/ anything with a hood is forbidden in the testing room, right?

NO! Now I have to rethink my entire outfit!

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I've heard of people being told to take the hoodie back to their car/ kicked out, but when I took it in December they just told us to tuck the hood into the back. That was kind of distracting though IMO

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm

psychlaw wrote:You guys know that hoodies/ anything with a hood is forbidden in the testing room, right?

No, I didn't. Even if you don't wear the hood? Either way, I'll play it safe and take a cardigan instead. Thanks.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Superprep B - 174. I'm stoked, i'm continually getting better and this is my best score yet. Preptests are now 159 (cold) ,163,165,166,167,167,171,174.

Breakdown.

LR - 3
LG - 2 (I never missed any on a couple of the newer tests i've taking so i'm hoping it's just with these being slighlty older tests)
RC - 3 (best score yet, my reading time is definitely getting better)
LR - 2

shannon111

Postby shannon111 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

aesis wrote:I went to Vegas over the weekend and was worried that I wouldn't do well today on PT 35.
Luckily, as long as you refresh yourself and don't take too long of a break (I went two days without any practice) you can still do well!

I did a section of LR last night, some LR by type, some games, but no RC. Was kind of scared about tonight, but I got a 178. -2 LR -2 RC -0 LG -0 LR. It's nice to see some consistency, but can't slack up!

PS Good luck on your PT tomorrow! Try doing a warm up before you do it though :)

Vegas, wow!!! I so envy u right nw lol. But taking a break is a good idea bc u feel fresh after a break. I did hve a quick question when u say warm ups do u mean time sections b4 the test or jst some questions untimed?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Took PT 31 yesterday and did SOOO bad! I was shocked, considering the score before that was 171 (for PT 30).

Granted, there was some stuff going on yesterday, but still, I'm really disappointed and sad about my work yesterday.

Have you guys ever had that before? A "lapse," so to speak?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Took PT 31 yesterday and did SOOO bad! I was shocked, considering the score before that was 171 (for PT 30).

Granted, there was some stuff going on yesterday, but still, I'm really disappointed and sad about my work yesterday.

Have you guys ever had that before? A "lapse," so to speak?

Well I attempted to take preptest 54 on saturday and had to quit half way throught he first section because I got sick to my stomach, this made me pretty upset, but I rebounded with a 174 this morning.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:18 pm

I've been itching for almost 2 weeks now (some kind of allergy) and have just been feeling off.

How am I supposed to study when I'm taking Benadryl and my body is itching? Hopefully, this will go away so I can get back into the groove. But yea, PT 31 has me really stressed.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Have you guys ever had that before? A "lapse," so to speak?

Twice. Both times I scored ~10 points lower than what I'd been PTing at. Recently I had a 168 preceded by 176, 176 and followed by a 178. Go figure. If you know it's an aberration it's not as bad, but it still hurts your confidence, not to mention your PT average.

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm

shannon111 wrote:Vegas, wow!!! I so envy u right nw lol. But taking a break is a good idea bc u feel fresh after a break. I did hve a quick question when u say warm ups do u mean time sections b4 the test or jst some questions untimed?

I do one Linear game, one Grouping game, and look over some old LR/RC sections to prepare myself mentally for the PT. It definitely helps, because if I get LG the first section then I'm super slow. I do it all untimed too so I can relax.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Quick question:

I've found that I do terrible to RC Passages that talk about Greek Mythology, or anything Greek generally. I think it is because I get very disinterested in these types of passages so it affects my comprehension of them. Any tips on how y'all work through passages that you are very disinterested in will be appreciated.

Thanks

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:45 pm

aesis wrote:
shannon111 wrote:Vegas, wow!!! I so envy u right nw lol. But taking a break is a good idea bc u feel fresh after a break. I did hve a quick question when u say warm ups do u mean time sections b4 the test or jst some questions untimed?

I do one Linear game, one Grouping game, and look over some old LR/RC sections to prepare myself mentally for the PT. It definitely helps, because if I get LG the first section then I'm super slow. I do it all untimed too so I can relax.

It's the other way around for me. My first section is usually my best. That's why I always make my first section the experimental so my score is not inflated.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:13 pm

LLB2JD wrote:Quick question:

I've found that I do terrible to RC Passages that talk about Greek Mythology, or anything Greek generally. I think it is because I get very disinterested in these types of passages so it affects my comprehension of them. Any tips on how y'all work through passages that you are very disinterested in will be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh man, I love those! Probably because my minor is Greek and Roman Studies and I'm taking both Latin, Roman History and Roman Society in the fall lolz.

You just have to pretend you are interested. You should read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and then watch the movie and then see if your interest is revived. Okay, I know they're kids books but they're awesome, so you should read them anyways.

But yeah, the key is just to MAKE YOURSELF INTERESTED. Just because the subject is boring does not mean you can zone out. I know it's easier said than done but just... do you find the LR questions on mealworms exciting? No. Me neither. But you get them done. I know it's longer in RC but eh.

I love the humanities passage, sometimes like the social sciences/lawish one, hate the more abstract ones or the science ones.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm

eit wrote:

Thanks

Oh man, I love those! Probably because my minor is Greek and Roman Studies and I'm taking both Latin, Roman History and Roman Society in the fall lolz.

You just have to pretend you are interested. You should read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and then watch the movie and then see if your interest is revived. Okay, I know they're kids books but they're awesome, so you should read them anyways.

But yeah, the key is just to MAKE YOURSELF INTERESTED. Just because the subject is boring does not mean you can zone out. I know it's easier said than done but just... do you find the LR questions on mealworms exciting? No. Me neither. But you get them done. I know it's longer in RC but eh.

I love the humanities passage, sometimes like the social sciences/lawish one, hate the more abstract ones or the science ones.

Boooooooooooo. Do you know other materials, perhaps online, that i could read. Something that probably summarize some of these greek crap? :? maybe I'll check Wikipedia too....Mehhh

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
eit wrote:

Thanks

Boooooooooooo. Do you know other materials, perhaps online, that i could read. Something that probably summarize some of these greek crap? :? maybe I'll check Wikipedia too....Mehhh

+1
anything Greek and possibly Latin, Roman history if they did appear...and oh the Medieval legal history crap destroyed me too

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Feeny wrote:LG 41 (-5).

First three games were simple enough, felt good and confident heading into game 4. Then they decide to throw in a circular linear game, which hasn't appeared since the H.W. Bush administration, when the Blue Jays and Twins were good baseball teams. Those sadists! I guess it could be worse though. I could have been one of those unlucky souls to have this on a real test.

Anybody tried setting this game up like a standard linear game, disregarding the circular aspect?

I know this post is a few days old now, but I have to point out that the Twins are leading their division even though their MVP first baseman has been out for months.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:30 pm

eit wrote:

Thanks

Don't tell your professors you just recommended Percy Jackson over something like I Claudius.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Took PT 41 yesterday. -0 LG (experimental), -0 LR, -2 LG, -0 LR, -2 RC. Raw score: 97. Scaled score: 178.

I finally finished my RC section and it shows! The -2 LG is a little upsetting, though. I really need to be getting -0 in LG to allow myself some wiggle room for LR and RC. One of the two wrong answers was a guess because I ran out of time, but the other was from a mistake where I failed to check every rule against a hypothetical I'd created to demonstrate an answer choice was possible. Hopefully that mistake will reinforce the fact that I need to check all the rules against possible solutions to games EVERY TIME. Overall I'm very happy with this test, though.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am

TUP wrote:
eit wrote:

Thanks

Don't tell your professors you just recommended Percy Jackson over something like I Claudius.

I read all 5 Percy Jackson books in one weekend. I'm still only halfway through I Claudius and I picked it up in mid July. Also, I Claudius is about Rome, not Greece.

If I'm somewhat interested in the topic and I seriously can't get through it/don't feel like reading it, I'm not gonna rec that to someone else.

TUP

Postby TUP » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:56 am

eit wrote:
TUP wrote:
eit wrote:

Thanks

I read all 5 Percy Jackson books in one weekend. I'm still only halfway through I Claudius and I picked it up in mid July. Also, I Claudius is about Rome, not Greece.

If I'm somewhat interested in the topic and I seriously can't get through it/don't feel like reading it, I'm not gonna rec that to someone else.

LOL i was jk. Obviously not about Greece, but classics majors always seem to love I Claudius.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:07 am

1 - See RC passage about Greek stuff.
2 - Remind yourself you will be homeless unless you are focused.
3 - ????
4 - PROFIT!!!

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 am

I decided this post belongs here instead, since I'm now preparing for this October LSAT with the rest of you all.

I did a few sections of LG today from PrepTests that I won't have time to do in full, and on two of them I scored -4 and -3 respectively and was pressed for time at the end of both. Then, I did one more because I wasn't satisfied, and this time finished it in 28 minutes... -0! (PT47, in case anyone is wondering.)

Why can't they all be like that last one? I hate running out of time.

And what does everyone think of the final game from SuperPrep PrepTest C? The one with Volantes, Whispers, Xaviers, and Ziggurats. I completely blew that one... ran out of time before the last 3 questions, and missed one of the ones that I did do, for a grand total of 1 correct answer on this problem. And when I finished them anyway after time ran out, I still got the wrong answer on 2 of those. It pissed me off because I was perfect on the 3 games before it. Looking back, there were just some major inferences that I completely failed to see and I don't know why.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:21 am

Oops.

Today I reviewed last night's PT and found out I accidentally marked two wrong on RC that I didn't get wrong. So it was -2 LR -0 RC -0 LG -0 LR ...

which is a 180.

lol?
"Oh." Keep it up everyone!

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 am

aesis wrote:Oops.

Today I reviewed last night's PT and found out I accidentally marked two wrong on RC that I didn't get wrong. So it was -2 LR -0 RC -0 LG -0 LR ...

which is a 180.

lol?
"Oh." Keep it up everyone!

Ha, don't you love it when that happens? Congrats on the 180!

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:01 am

Adjudicator wrote:I decided this post belongs here instead, since I'm now preparing for this October LSAT with the rest of you all.

I did a few sections of LG today from PrepTests that I won't have time to do in full, and on two of them I scored -4 and -3 respectively and was pressed for time at the end of both. Then, I did one more because I wasn't satisfied, and this time finished it in 28 minutes... -0! (PT47, in case anyone is wondering.)

Why can't they all be like that last one? I hate running out of time.

And what does everyone think of the final game from SuperPrep PrepTest C? The one with Volantes, Whispers, Xaviers, and Ziggurats. I completely blew that one... ran out of time before the last 3 questions, and missed one of the ones that I did do, for a grand total of 1 correct answer on this problem. And when I finished them anyway after time ran out, I still got the wrong answer on 2 of those. It pissed me off because I was perfect on the 3 games before it. Looking back, there were just some major inferences that I completely failed to see and I don't know why.

The final game in SPC is one where you NEED to dig out those inferences. If you can figure out that x -> z next year and z-> w next year, the game should be relatively easy to solve. But when stressed for time, I can imagine where the difficulties come in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”