October 2010 Test Prep

gdane

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 pm

P. Bateman wrote:Should I be doing all the old tests or should I just move on to the new one after I finish "10 Actual LSAT"

You can do whatever the hell you want, but its recommended that you work with the 10 most recent LSAT's as you near the end of your prep with the last LSAT administered as your last PT.

Good luck!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I just checked on Amazon for PT 60, and apparently it ships in 1-4 months. I could order from LSAC again but I had issues with them earlier.

Then I went and checked out cambridgelsat which I haven't bought anything off because I like the physical PTs and am out of paper and it seemed simpler to order actual tests instead of buying more paper lol. But then I saw PT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... the little collector inside my heart wanted to buy the rest of them even if I do have to print them off, just so I'd have every single one available to me.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 pm

eit wrote:I just checked on Amazon for PT 60, and apparently it ships in 1-4 months. I could order from LSAC again but I had issues with them earlier.

Then I went and checked out cambridgelsat which I haven't bought anything off because I like the physical PTs and am out of paper and it seemed simpler to order actual tests instead of buying more paper lol. But then I saw PT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... the little collector inside my heart wanted to buy the rest of them even if I do have to print them off, just so I'd have every single one available to me.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 pm

eit wrote:I just checked on Amazon for PT 60, and apparently it ships in 1-4 months. I could order from LSAC again but I had issues with them earlier.

just wondering, should LSAC be sending out PT60 by now? i ordered from LSAC but still haven't heard anything.......can i download it from cambridgelsat?

vttran9

Postby vttran9 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been checking out this thread for awhile.

For those who have used the SOS method, can you tell me how your progress have been so far? I am considering trying out this method.
Last edited by vttran9 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm

xqhp82 wrote:

just wondering, should LSAC be sending out PT60 by now? i ordered from LSAC but still haven't heard anything.......can i download it from cambridgelsat?

I ordered it at least a month ago. It says under status ~mid August. I think you have to purchase a pdf of it from CambridgeLSAT for 9 bucks?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm

vttran9 wrote:Hi everyone!

For those who have used the SOS method, can you tell me how your progress have been so far? I am considering trying out this method.

Nice avatar :).

I haven't used SOS so can't comment, but I was seriously amused while doing a game in PT 45 today when S had to be on the team before and after O, so it had to be S_ O_ S_ :).

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Yeah PT60 is available from Cambridge. I've had it for a few weeks.

vttran9

Postby vttran9 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:57 pm

eit wrote:
vttran9 wrote:Hi everyone!

Nice avatar :).

I haven't used SOS so can't comment, but I was seriously amused while doing a game in PT 45 today when S had to be on the team before and after O, so it had to be S_ O_ S_ :).

Glad to see a Blair fan! =)

I am retaking and trying to find a plan I can stick to. Luckily, I have LG on lock and timing is not an issue for any of the sections. LR is the biggest hurdle right now.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm

FACK, I just got another 157. My hope for a 165 looks more like a dream. I need to get timing on a lock down. LR, I am going to try doing 15 in 15 minutes. For LG and RC, I need some magic to happen with timing. I can't finish more than 3 games or 3 passages.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Do more games. Unless you've done 100+ games at least twice each with review before the second try, don't worry about timing. Many start out slow.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:12 pm

TUP wrote:Do more games. Unless you've done 100+ games at least twice each with review before the second try, don't worry about timing. Many start out slow.

Also, after doing them so much you naturally improve your speed. I did two games last night and on both I felt like I was taking a long time, but when I finished and checked my time I had finished them both in about 15 minutes. I got -1 on 1 and -2 on the other.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:16 pm

jaydizzle wrote:FACK, I just got another 157. My hope for a 165 looks more like a dream. I need to get timing on a lock down. LR, I am going to try doing 15 in 15 minutes. For LG and RC, I need some magic to happen with timing. I can't finish more than 3 games or 3 passages.

if i were you i would drill games. get the LG bundle from cambridge. games are the easiest way to get points especially if your only doing 3 games. as for LR and RC its all about patience and understanding why you get the question wrong AND right.

good luck.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

I just had my personal best PT ever with PT 28 :). 96 raw, 177 scaled. -2LR, -0LG, -2LR, -1RC.

The games were super awesome, started off with sequencing that was SO SO EASY and that just set the tone. LR was intense - I managed to conquer a really difficult question that was one of those I PERSONALLY JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION AT ALL and I changed the answer to the right one. I also changed a right answer to a wrong one in second LR though. Strangely enough, both these questions were #7 lol.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm

TUP wrote:Do more games. Unless you've done 100+ games at least twice each with review before the second try, don't worry about timing. Many start out slow.

omg, I've done 20 and I thought that was a lot....

*goes back to my cave*

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:37 pm

ly2010 wrote:

*goes back to my cave*

It really does help to do a ton all at once. I did about 40 games in a couple days and it brought my skills up a lot. Doing games every day (repeating old ones is fine) is necessary though to maintain your skillz. Not sufficient, though.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm

ly2010 wrote:

*goes back to my cave*

I bought the Cambridge bundle and made copies of all games from 28 PTs (saved the rest for timed PTs). After reading the LGB I've done a few a day for the past few months. It really helps to start early with LG.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I've hit a wall that I may not be able to cross...A 147 on PT 39 is NOT what I had in mind when I put pencil to paper. It seems as though LR and RC is going to ruin me slowly but surely. The three point gain is a result of 6 weeks of studying (my first blind PT was 144 and that was 6wks ago)...There is this insane urge for a shot of Tequila right now...What am I doing wrong? *sigh*

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 pm

mynjb26 wrote:I've hit a wall that I may not be able to cross...A 147 on PT 39 is NOT what I had in mind when I put pencil to paper. It seems as though LR and RC is going to ruin me slowly but surely. The three point gain is a result of 6 weeks of studying (my first blind PT was 144 and that was 6wks ago)...There is this insane urge for a shot of Tequila right now...What am I doing wrong? *sigh*

Have you done the LRB yet? That was really the noticeable bump in my score - I doubt I would have improved as much without it. I did a couple tests at 163 (original/diagnostic ish), 165, 168 (after LGB) and after LRB I was scoring consistently above 170.

Have you tried doing an untimed vs. timed test? If you can get most/a lot more questions right while untimed, that indicates that timing is your problem rather than accuracy, and hopefully more practice would help you in that area. If you still get about the same or just a little higher with more time, your problem would probably be in accuracy and you might need to consult a study aid like the LRB or a tutor or something to help explain the concepts to you.

I just looked over my PT tracker and realized I have scored between 165 and 177 since my diagnostic but never scored a 166, 167, 170, or 172.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Made my biggest strides yet today. Took PT 31 and got a 168! Thats 20 points higher than my original diagnostic. I was also impressed in my RC score, -4, which is up from the -12 to -15 I started at. Gotta keep working though, unfortunately I took this test untimed and I felt as if I was timed I wouldn't have finished the games (stupid CD game) or one of the logic sections.

LG: (-1)
LR: (-3)
LR: (-8)<<Yikes!
RC: (-4)

If anyone wants books other than the bibles, I really recommend Traciela's LR and LG questions which have all the questions from PT 1-20. This really helped me get on track, so I wouldn't skew my PT scores when I got into the higher numbers.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

I just started the LRB about a week ago. Justify the Conclusion questions are my biggest weakness. The 147 was a timed test. I will complete an untimed PT and see if I do any better. Grasping the concepts isn't an issue seeing as though I am highly interested interested in 90% of the topics that the LSAT covers. Thanks for the much needed advice. I will implement the untimed strategies and see how I fair out. :-)

eit wrote:
mynjb26 wrote:I've hit a wall that I may not be able to cross...A 147 on PT 39 is NOT what I had in mind when I put pencil to paper. It seems as though LR and RC is going to ruin me slowly but surely. The three point gain is a result of 6 weeks of studying (my first blind PT was 144 and that was 6wks ago)...There is this insane urge for a shot of Tequila right now...What am I doing wrong? *sigh*

Have you done the LRB yet? That was really the noticeable bump in my score - I doubt I would have improved as much without it. I did a couple tests at 163 (original/diagnostic ish), 165, 168 (after LGB) and after LRB I was scoring consistently above 170.

Have you tried doing an untimed vs. timed test? If you can get most/a lot more questions right while untimed, that indicates that timing is your problem rather than accuracy, and hopefully more practice would help you in that area. If you still get about the same or just a little higher with more time, your problem would probably be in accuracy and you might need to consult a study aid like the LRB or a tutor or something to help explain the concepts to you.

I just looked over my PT tracker and realized I have scored between 165 and 177 since my diagnostic but never scored a 166, 167, 170, or 172.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 pm

LR: For anyone that has everything else solidly down and is just struggling to get their LR from -4/-3/-2 to 0/-1 consistently I strongly suggest typing out the questions you get wrong as well as what type of question it is, your wrong answer and why it's wrong and the correct answer and why it is correct. 2 days of doing that for 5 hours a day while referencing the LRB and Lsatblog for the reasons and question types when needed seemed to be what was needed. The credit for this tip can go to most of the people that have written articles about how they achieved a 180.

RC: Anyone have a strategy for someone that consistently gets them all right other than the main point question? Pretty ridiculous problem to have.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:LR: For anyone that has everything else solidly down and is just struggling to get their LR from -4/-3/-2 to 0/-1 consistently I strongly suggest typing out the questions you get wrong as well as what type of question it is, your wrong answer and why it's wrong and the correct answer and why it is correct. 2 days of doing that for 5 hours a day while referencing the LRB and Lsatblog for the reasons and question types when needed seemed to be what was needed. The credit for this tip can go to most of the people that have written articles about how they achieved a 180.

RC: Anyone have a strategy for someone that consistently gets them all right other than the main point question? Pretty ridiculous problem to have.

I did this a while back and saw an improvement but stopped. I am restarting this. It is very time consuming if you do all questions wrong or right but helps illuminate the questions better IMO.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 pm

I'll give this method a try also...I'm hoping for some progress. *fingers crossed*

quote="BeachedBrit"]LR: For anyone that has everything else solidly down and is just struggling to get their LR from -4/-3/-2 to 0/-1 consistently I strongly suggest typing out the questions you get wrong as well as what type of question it is, your wrong answer and why it's wrong and the correct answer and why it is correct. 2 days of doing that for 5 hours a day while referencing the LRB and Lsatblog for the reasons and question types when needed seemed to be what was needed. The credit for this tip can go to most of the people that have written articles about how they achieved a 180.

RC: Anyone have a strategy for someone that consistently gets them all right other than the main point question? Pretty ridiculous problem to have.[/quote]

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:53 pm

While I am reviewing wrong answers I am making sure I highlight why I got each wrong and what I can do better next time. I swear, 90% have to do with small modifier words. It's nice to see a pattern but a bit humorous to keep seeing my "next time" column be PAY ATTENTION TO WORDS.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”