October 2010 Test Prep

sgtgrumbles

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 am

brickman wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to inquire about PT trends. I'm planning on taking the 30 most recent PTs plus the Superprep ones. I still have 20+ to go. I'm aiming for a 175+ on the actual test.

These are my scores thus far, in chronological order: 161 (diagnostic), 169, 163, 169, 163, 171, 171, 172, 173, 175, 165, 172.

The 165 mostly stemmed from a brutal RC section where I didn't answer a single question from the fourth passage. It was extremely disappointing, but also a wake-up call that I need to nail my RC timing. Since then I've done at least one timed RC passage every day.

Anyway, what do you all think of the way you're testing now compared to your goal? I'm a little worried that I've only reached my 175 goal once, but I know I have a lot of time and many PTs still to go.

My real concern is that I haven't been able to isolate a particular area on which to focus. I usually go -0 in LG, but my RC and LR consistently go -2 to -4. These errors come from a variety of question types. I'm starting to worry that I don't have one problem I can hone in on, but instead just can't handle the most difficult questions from many different question types, and that I'm bound to get a few wrong on test day because of this. Any advice?

Not that you haven't already heard it from me, but SoS method is beautifully effective for fleshing out the points of logic. Also, how is your timing on these sections going?

Timing's better. I really think I need to start notating less. Small stuff is fine: "auth op", "some critics", "Nietzsche", etc., but I really don't need to write out ten word paragraph summaries like I've been doing.

SoS method would be great if I had more time. I need to bear down next week and really devote more time to studying, but I'm going to consider scaling back to two PTs a week (or five in two weeks) in order to review more.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 am

Ive been super worried about my progress.

I've only taken Superprep A and B but both times got a 163. I'm afraid to be stuck there! I did SOS method for B and got a 171 (while taking the last section late at night and rushing).

I hope that by upping the amount of PTs I do (2-3 a week starting this week), doing the SOS method now, and continuing with the studies I've been doing, it'll get better.

But still, I'm really upset I haven't really budged. Super depressed. :(

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

Dripworx wrote:Yea it will be interesting once the semester starts, 5 classes, part time job and lsat all at once
:(

Right there with you! I just think in the long run and it helps stay focus! It's all about priorities

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
brickman wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to inquire about PT trends. I'm planning on taking the 30 most recent PTs plus the Superprep ones. I still have 20+ to go. I'm aiming for a 175+ on the actual test.

These are my scores thus far, in chronological order: 161 (diagnostic), 169, 163, 169, 163, 171, 171, 172, 173, 175, 165, 172.

The 165 mostly stemmed from a brutal RC section where I didn't answer a single question from the fourth passage. It was extremely disappointing, but also a wake-up call that I need to nail my RC timing. Since then I've done at least one timed RC passage every day.

Anyway, what do you all think of the way you're testing now compared to your goal? I'm a little worried that I've only reached my 175 goal once, but I know I have a lot of time and many PTs still to go.

My real concern is that I haven't been able to isolate a particular area on which to focus. I usually go -0 in LG, but my RC and LR consistently go -2 to -4. These errors come from a variety of question types. I'm starting to worry that I don't have one problem I can hone in on, but instead just can't handle the most difficult questions from many different question types, and that I'm bound to get a few wrong on test day because of this. Any advice?

Not that you haven't already heard it from me, but SoS method is beautifully effective for fleshing out the points of logic. Also, how is your timing on these sections going?

Timing's better. I really think I need to start notating less. Small stuff is fine: "auth op", "some critics", "Nietzsche", etc., but I really don't need to write out ten word paragraph summaries like I've been doing.

SoS method would be great if I had more time. I need to bear down next week and really devote more time to studying, but I'm going to consider scaling back to two PTs a week (or five in two weeks) in order to review more.

I think that is a good idea. I know your time is limited, but I think you'll be able to get more out of the material if the extent of your review is more intensive.

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 pm

As I was eating grapes, I couldn't help but thinking about that logic reasoning question about how they have a lower ratio of iron/calorie then raisins.

I'm usually good about not letting my mind slip into LSAT thoughts outside of studying, but I got a good lulz out of it.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Dripworx wrote:Yea it will be interesting once the semester starts, 5 classes, part time job and lsat all at once

agreed...and let's not forget about actually applying to law school. fml :cry:

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:05 pm

brickman wrote:As I was eating grapes, I couldn't help but thinking about that logic reasoning question about how they have a lower ratio of iron/calorie then raisins.

I'm usually good about not letting my mind slip into LSAT thoughts outside of studying, but I got a good lulz out of it.

I can't help but invent questions out of the discussions I have with my friends. It's driving my girlfriend crazy.

Also, Eric, what happened to Dostoevsky? Who's the new guy?

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 pm

lastch2 wrote:

agreed...and let's not forget about actually applying to law school. fml :cry:

Such a long and pricy process......Have any of yous started your personal stmts? just curious.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:27 pm

yeah, i figured out what to talk about first which was no easy task, then figured out organization, wrote a rd, now i just have to figure out how to make it suck less :?

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:37 pm

lastch2 wrote:yeah, i figured out what to talk about first which was no easy task, then figured out organization, wrote a rd, now i just have to figure out how to make it suck less :?

I started by putting ideas on a word document and every once in a while I go back and make "nicer" sentences. I saw online that they have editing companies; do you know if applicants actually use that?

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Adu wrote:
lastch2 wrote:yeah, i figured out what to talk about first which was no easy task, then figured out organization, wrote a rd, now i just have to figure out how to make it suck less :?

I started by putting ideas on a word document and every once in a while I go back and make "nicer" sentences. I saw online that they have editing companies; do you know if applicants actually use that?

beats me. wouldn't be surprised though. people do crazy stuff over law school, although i do plan on pulling some strings and having the writing professors at my university look at it.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:57 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Adu wrote:

beats me. wouldn't be surprised though. people do crazy stuff over law school, although i do plan on pulling some strings and having the writing professors at my university look at it.

Yeah I def would do that too; I met this english major student in one of my classes last semester. She wants to be an editor, so I was going to see if she could take a look at it.
Honestly, I can't wait until the LSAT and admission process is over with!

shannon111

Postby shannon111 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Adu wrote:

essay edge is really good with editing ps they made my ps sound so intellectual! lol My sister used it for med school and she was happy with it too.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:02 pm

shannon111 wrote:
Adu wrote:

essay edge is really good with editing ps they made my ps sound so intellectual! lol My sister used it for med school and she was happy with it too.

So you would recommend it? I check it out online.
I saw some samples and they make it sound really nice without changing too much, but that was only samples.

shannon111

Postby shannon111 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Adu wrote:
shannon111 wrote:
Adu wrote:

yeah I would. They did a good job with mine. They jst edit it and make it sound more professional you jst send them a copy of ur ps and they will edit it and send it bck to u. Good Luck! :)

So you would recommend it? I check it out online.
I saw some samples and they make it sound really nice without changing too much, but that was only samples.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:19 pm

i'll check it out, thanks

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Isn't it kind of dishonest though? To have a PERSONAL statement written by someone else? I think some schools even have you check off this box where you declare that you've written this and no one else. And if you get caught lying...

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Isn't it kind of dishonest though? To have a PERSONAL statement written by someone else? I think some schools even have you check off this box where you declare that you've written this and no one else. And if you get caught lying...

What I read online they don't write it for you they just help you improve your sentence and provide you vocabulary that makes it better if that makes sense. I would def feel dishonest to have someone write it for me.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Adu wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Isn't it kind of dishonest though? To have a PERSONAL statement written by someone else? I think some schools even have you check off this box where you declare that you've written this and no one else. And if you get caught lying...

What I read online they don't write it for you they just help you improve your sentence and provide you vocabulary that makes it better if that makes sense. I would def feel dishonest to have someone write it for me.

agreed, dishonesty is being too lazy to write the thing yourself. but having someone, albiet a professional stranger, review it and suggest changes to make it sound more professional, etc is no different than having your mom do it...given that your mom is a professional editor :D

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Adu wrote:

agreed, dishonesty is being too lazy to write the thing yourself. but having someone, albiet a professional stranger, review it and suggest changes to make it sound more professional, etc is no different than having your mom do it...given that your mom is a professional editor :D

Haha I agree! Sometimes when you look at the same thing over and over you don't see the obvious anymore; I think it's good to have other people proofread it. If they're pros that's even better :-)

shannon111

Postby shannon111 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Adu wrote:

when I sent in my ps to essay edge they jst edited it made it look more professional it was still my work though.I don't consider having someone else edit my work being dishonest but I guess we all hve our own opinion about this. :)
Last edited by shannon111 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adu

Postby Adu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

shannon111 wrote:
Adu wrote:

when I sent in my ps to essay edge they jst edited it made it look more professional it was still my work though.I don't consider editing being dishonest but I guess we all hve our own opions about this. :)

I think that as long as it's your "story" it's not dishonest; that's my opnion. I wonder if the LSAC acutually doesnt even mention it on their site...I think I may have seen it on there, but I'm not 100% sure.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:10 pm

i finally had the time to take the untimed version of PT 27..i was seriously shooting for a 180 but as of yet timed or untimed i have not had one, single -0 on any section. it's depressing. breakdown as follows:

timed: untimed
LR -2 - LR -3 (WTF!)
LG -5 - LG -1
RC -5 - RC -2
LR -4 - LR -3
170 - 176---> not sure about that crazy curve

obviously my LR needs some serious work, which makes sense bc i'm still working through PS LRB, but as a philosophy major with several logic classes under my belt this is pathetic.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

lastch2 wrote:i finally had the time to take the untimed version of PT 27..i was seriously shooting for a 180 but as of yet timed or untimed i have not had one, single -0 on any section. it's depressing. breakdown as follows:

timed: untimed
LR -2 - LR -3 (WTF!)
LG -5 - LG -1
RC -5 - RC -2
LR -4 - LR -3
170 - 176---> not sure about that crazy curve

obviously my LR needs some serious work, which makes sense bc i'm still working through PS LRB, but as a philosophy major with several logic classes under my belt this is pathetic.

Those undergrad logic classes dont help as much as you think they do. Knowing about modus ponens and modus tollens and red herrings really doesnt do sh*t for you when it comes to the LSAT.

Even though those results are untimed, they're still good. Keep working at it. You're getting there. Dont panic and stay confident. Start timing yourself within the next few weeks.

Good luck!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:33 pm

PT 27 is a crazy test. And I had crazy results on it. (Enjoyed the curve, though.)

Overall I scored a 91 raw, 175 scaled. -0LR, -5LG, -4RC, -1LR.

I liked the snakies and lizards game, it wasn't too bad.

I hated the cars game, I think because I ran out of time on it and for me, anyways, it wasn't very intuitive. Think I missed an inference or something.

Super excited about the -0LR. I have now collected the holy triumvirate of -0's. Only once each though. I just like it because it proves it can be done. It's funny how my worst section became my best on this test, though! I was losing focus on RC for some reason, and LG, I lacked time management skills. I'm going to drill some games sections tonight.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”