October 2010 Test Prep

OklahomasOK

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:54 pm

gdane5 wrote:I might start doing 5 section's, but I'm not so sure it would do much to help. I dont struggle for stamina as it is. Also, you get a break after 3 sections. I dont give myself a break when I take a PT. I do 4 sections, back to back with less than a minute between sections. Then, I go over ever single question very carefully (this usually takes well over an hour). I find that this is more effective to me.

This is much more effective than 5 section-ed tests IMHO. If you can plow through four sections, back to back to back to back, then you should be just fine. The 15 minute break between 3 & 4 on the real thing is more than enough time to grab a snack, bathroom, daydream/ think about sports/ meander etc, before taking more tests. The key is making sure you don't have those mini burnouts on the real tests.

My biggest problem on the real thing was burnout. I had done 4 tests in the 5 days prior to the real thing. When I sat to take the real think, I felt like I was in a haze, couldn't really hammer down any solid answers. My advice would be to go balls to the wall NOW, hammer LRB, LGB, take your 5 section-ed tests if you want. Come Sept 20th-25th, wind it WAY down.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Ive never actually tried using a 5th section, but I definitely will. I just dont want to distort my results. If I know that 5th section is "experimental" I wont feel as motivated to contine it because all I'll really want to do is calculate my score from the previous 4 sections.

Last fall (and I'll probably do it again soon), I photocopied my tests and used an extra test as the experimental. By having them photocopied, I couldn't always tell which section was my experimental. I cut off the "A, B, C, D" at the top. It took me about a day, but I pre-made around 12 tests all ready to go. I found it to be helpful and help me prepare for the actual test. It just requires a bit of extra work.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey guys, just checking in to inquire about PT trends. I'm planning on taking the 30 most recent PTs plus the Superprep ones. I still have 20+ to go. I'm aiming for a 175+ on the actual test.

These are my scores thus far, in chronological order: 161 (diagnostic), 169, 163, 169, 163, 171, 171, 172, 173, 175, 165, 172.

The 165 mostly stemmed from a brutal RC section where I didn't answer a single question from the fourth passage. It was extremely disappointing, but also a wake-up call that I need to nail my RC timing. Since then I've done at least one timed RC passage every day.

Anyway, what do you all think of the way you're testing now compared to your goal? I'm a little worried that I've only reached my 175 goal once, but I know I have a lot of time and many PTs still to go.

My real concern is that I haven't been able to isolate a particular area on which to focus. I usually go -0 in LG, but my RC and LR consistently go -2 to -4. These errors come from a variety of question types. I'm starting to worry that I don't have one problem I can hone in on, but instead just can't handle the most difficult questions from many different question types, and that I'm bound to get a few wrong on test day because of this. Any advice?

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to inquire about PT trends. I'm planning on taking the 30 most recent PTs plus the Superprep ones. I still have 20+ to go. I'm aiming for a 175+ on the actual test.

These are my scores thus far, in chronological order: 161 (diagnostic), 169, 163, 169, 163, 171, 171, 172, 173, 175, 165, 172.

The 165 mostly stemmed from a brutal RC section where I didn't answer a single question from the fourth passage. It was extremely disappointing, but also a wake-up call that I need to nail my RC timing. Since then I've done at least one timed RC passage every day.

Anyway, what do you all think of the way you're testing now compared to your goal? I'm a little worried that I've only reached my 175 goal once, but I know I have a lot of time and many PTs still to go.

My real concern is that I haven't been able to isolate a particular area on which to focus. I usually go -0 in LG, but my RC and LR consistently go -2 to -4. These errors come from a variety of question types. I'm starting to worry that I don't have one problem I can hone in on, but instead just can't handle the most difficult questions from many different question types, and that I'm bound to get a few wrong on test day because of this. Any advice?

Not that you haven't already heard it from me, but SoS method is beautifully effective for fleshing out the points of logic. Also, how is your timing on these sections going?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:23 pm

What's the SoS method?

brickman wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to inquire about PT trends. I'm planning on taking the 30 most recent PTs plus the Superprep ones. I still have 20+ to go. I'm aiming for a 175+ on the actual test.

Not that you haven't already heard it from me, but SoS method is beautifully effective for fleshing out the points of logic. Also, how is your timing on these sections going?

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Anaconda wrote:What's the SoS method?

brickman wrote:

your already doing it.

Stanley Otto Swift, the man, the myth, the legend, the author of the post you've already read!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36512

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Lol, totally flew past my head. :)

brickman wrote:
Anaconda wrote:What's the SoS method?

brickman wrote:

your already doing it.

Stanley Otto Swift, the man, the myth, the legend, the author of the post you've already read!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36512

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:30 pm

155 today on pt 26. -4 on Lg...-15 on RC. -15 combined on LR. I am experiencing no consistency, seeing as though I felt good on the RC and I got -4 just the other day. Back to work!

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Really starting to feel like all this studying is paying off. Cold diagnostic was 148 in June. Completed Preptest 29 today with a score of 164. Although it was untimed, I feel like I am starting to get the grasp of these concepts. Just need to work on getting to the answer quicker, so my score doesn't suffer when I start timing my tests.

LR:(-5)
LR:(-6)
RC:(-8)
LG:(-2)

Some tips for people who really need to improve, considering if I can do it, anyone can.

1) I know this is all personal preference, but I feel like I do much, MUCH better on logical reasoning, when I read the question stem first. When I do this I feel like I can spot things a lot easier in the passage, especially dense science or governmental passages that I sometimes space out on when reading.

2) For reading comp, the less notation the better, IMO. I underline a few things, mainly names, lists, anything in quotes, but after doing a bunch of reading passages, its much easier to have a firm grasp of the structure of passage then to actually memorize little details, considering most likely when you read the question you are going back and looking at certain parts of the paragraph anyway. I also feel like if you can maybe read a little quicker (roughly 2.5-3 min per passage) you can save some time that you can put toward answering the questions. Again, all personal preference. My RC score is by no means amazing, but when I first started I was consistently getting around -15, so this is a big improvement on my part.

3) If you really want to increase your game score, do as many games as you can, even ones that you have done already. It sounds redundant, but repetition even if it means saving a minute or two on each game really adds up.

Lastly, make sure you take a day off every now and then. I burned out the other day for the first time, and forced myself to take a day off the following day. It really helps clear your mind.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey all I really need some guidance.

I've come across a sentence and I can't seem to formalize it. Please help:

no one who is X is Y.

Also:

no one who is not X is Y.

For some reason it's not coming together in my head.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Hey all I really need some guidance.

no one who is X is Y.

Does that mean if X then Y? For some reason it's not coming together in my head.

Whenever you get a 'no' to begin the sentence, that cancels out the necessary condition. So I believe the chain is X ---> Y

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:11 pm

RC breakthrough today after a daunting 163 on PT 25 timed.
RC-6
LR-7
LR-9
LG-2

PT 27: 168 timed

RC-3
LR-7
LR-4
LG-1

I feel like the tests in the 20's are more difficult than the 30's or the earlier tests like 7-18 etc.

still trying to curb that goddamn LR, always get the stupid ones wrong :(

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Dripworx wrote:RC breakthrough today after a daunting 163 on PT 25 timed.
RC-6
LR-7
LR-9
LG-2

RC-3
LR-7
LR-4
LG-1

I feel like the tests in the 20's are more difficult than the 30's or the earlier tests like 7-18 etc.

Are there specific questions that youre missing? Are you missing them because you dont understand them or because youre not reading close enough? If you can get 2 more correct per LR section, you'll be in the 170+ range.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Hey all I really need some guidance.

no one who is X is Y.

Also:

no one who is not X is Y.

For some reason it's not coming together in my head.

1. X -> -Y
2. -X -> -Y which translates to Y -> X via the contrapositive

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Dripworx wrote:RC breakthrough today after a daunting 163 on PT 25 timed.
RC-6
LR-7
LR-9
LG-2

RC-3
LR-7
LR-4
LG-1

Are there specific questions that youre missing? Are you missing them because you dont understand them or because youre not reading close enough? If you can get 2 more correct per LR section, you'll be in the 170+ range.

The usual suspects are: Assumption, Paradox, and the funky Parallel except or any except variation of the three. I can taste the 170 man. Im like right fucking there....

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:47 pm

I understand the parallel ones. These get me all the time. Luckily there are usually only 1 or 2 of these on a test.

Just keep going at it. Your scores have been very consistent and we have a little under 2 months until the Oct test so you should straighten up by then.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Yea it will be interesting once the semester starts, 5 classes, part time job and lsat all at once
:(

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:21 pm

*Achem*

For my fellow midwesterners, your time until the October 9th LSAT that begins at 9 A.M. is: 58 days 10 hours 32 minutes

get studying!

akili

Postby akili » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Holy crap guys. I just took my first full (with experimental) prep test since the December LSAT.

I scored a 160 in December and my highest prep test practice was a 165.

I just scored a 167!!!!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am

Dripworx wrote:Yea it will be interesting once the semester starts, 5 classes, part time job and lsat all at once
:(

Hello my life. At least I'll only work one day a week. I've already picked out Friday as a prep test day, since I get off at 10.30. Not sure when the hell I'll really have time to do tests other than that - I guess maybe Monday around 4.30 or something when I get home. That'll be fun.

And congrats Akilla.

surfermikedude

Postby surfermikedude » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:16 am

Feeling a little bit better as of late with regards to my LR performance. I'm slowly working through the LR Bible as well as taking timed/untimed sections of the 10 Actual, Official series.

Took the LR Sections from PT 18 tonight:

Section 2 -4
7) Method of Reasoning. Still not sure why I crossed out the correct answer at the last minute... sigh.
8) Weaken. Can someone explain why D is not the correct answer, I was debating between this choice and the correct one... lost that battle.
10) Main Point. Again I crossed out the right answer choice at the last minute.
17) Flaw. Not sure I understand why this answer choice is correct.

Section 4 -4
16) Principle. Can someone explain why the correct answer choice is better than B?
20) Parallel. Dumb mistake.
21) Relationship. Dumb mistake.
25) Flaw. Tricky question. Dumb mistake.

Anyway, if someone could help out with some of the explanations that would be awesome. Also, if anyone wants to join in tomorrow I am going to take the LR sections from PT 19. It could be useful to go over the mistakes together...

Thanks.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:44 am

surfermikedude wrote:Feeling a little bit better as of late with regards to my LR performance. I'm slowly working through the LR Bible as well as taking timed/untimed sections of the 10 Actual, Official series.

Took the LR Sections from PT 18 tonight:

Section 2 -4
7) Method of Reasoning. Still not sure why I crossed out the correct answer at the last minute... sigh.
8 ) This actually is a Flaw question, not a weaken. And (D) is wrong because this is not an assumption made by the author. In fact, this is the opposite of what the author says, which is that most homicide deaths occur as a result of unpremeditated assaults.
10) Main Point. Again I crossed out the right answer choice at the last minute.
17) Parallel flaw.

In this question, the stimulus starts off by mentioning a strange belief held by a certain person, and then provides insight into why the person has that belief by shedding light on a (not-so) relevant past experience. The stimulus then JUSTIFIES this belief based on this past experience. This is faulty, because the past experience may not apply in this situation and Arnold's coworkers may actually be meaning good.

(C) follows this pattern. Ridiculous belief = Joan things cats are not good pets. Past experience = She was punished for playing with her dad's cat. Justification = So her belief that cats are not good pets is justified.

Section 4 -4
16) Principle. Can someone explain why the correct answer choice is better than B?

(B) will not justify Dr. Kim's conclusion because she claims that electronic fetal monitors do NO MORE to improve the chances than a healthy baby will be born than ordinary stethoscopes. However, it is very well possible that these monitors CAN provide information that is useful in ensuring a healthy baby is born, even if it is no better at it than ordinary stethoscopes.

(C) on the other hand is a perfect answer. Two methods are available (ordinary stethoscope vs. electronic fetal monitor). They both provide the same kind of info. However, the fetal monitor is more intrusive, so it shouldn't be used. Dr. Kim's conclusion is justified.

20) Parallel. Dumb mistake.
21) Relationship. Dumb mistake.
25) Flaw. Tricky question. Dumb mistake.

Anyway, if someone could help out with some of the explanations that would be awesome. Also, if anyone wants to join in tomorrow I am going to take the LR sections from PT 19. It could be useful to go over the mistakes together...

Thanks.

Here you go, hope that helps.

surfermikedude

Postby surfermikedude » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 am

Here you go, hope that helps.

Much thanks.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 am

1 month and 12 timed sections later, got my first -0 RC section on PT 21.
Hurrah!

lparker

Postby lparker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 am

I started to take Prep Test 21 at work yesterday--too many distractions so I won't be trying that again. But, since I had already finished a section I decided to do the Stanley Otto Swift method minus the timed part and just go for a 180 untimed. I ended up scoring a 171.

LG (-2)
LR (-3, -1)
and the bane of my existence RC (-6)

I think I must just not know how to read... I'm going to get back to the basics... Probably complete the Your Baby Can Read program, haha. But, seriously, I'm already notating, actively reading, I do the MP question last... I am running out of ideas!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”