October 2010 Test Prep

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Got my first PT 170! Heck yeah! Time to make that my new normal!

User avatar
jwaters
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jwaters » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Took PT 43 on Saturday and got a 161. Took PT 44 today and got a 164. LR is still my biggest weakness but I did have my best LR score today (-2 on section 4 of PT 44). Got a -7 on the other section though. Didn't miss a single question on either section until after question 15.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 pm

still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


You don't need to take it, you could wait til December.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Anaconda wrote:
Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


You don't need to take it, you could wait til December.


I'm already signed up now, can I change it to Dec?. I'm borderline (hence the retake) for a lot of schools so I'm sending out my apps VERY early. I feel like if I took in Dec., a lot of schools would have already made up their mind on me. No?

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


I started not too long ago! I think you can do it in 2 months, tbh. Go for it!

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12423
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


You might be the only person in the entire world that hasn't started studying yet. The only one. :mrgreen:

I dont know what your score was, but you say that youre borderline at a lot of schools, so youre probably looking for a bit of a gain, not a huge one. If this is the case you dont need to study for months and months. Some refreshing in a few days and then take PT's during September and you should be ok.

Good luck Barbie!

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Barbie wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


You don't need to take it, you could wait til December.


I'm already signed up now, can I change it to Dec?. I'm borderline (hence the retake) for a lot of schools so I'm sending out my apps VERY early. I feel like if I took in Dec., a lot of schools would have already made up their mind on me. No?


Don't mean to sound harsh but you can't be lazy and complain about it. If you can't light the fire then accept your original score. Just because it's borderline doesn't mean you won't get into any of your top schools. You could always take a diagnostic to see how the lay-off affected you for better or worse. Supposedly many do much better after a semi-long LSAT break. Heck just taking a few PT's and working on a few certain things might net you a couple extra points and make some of your top schools safety schools.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Anaconda wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Barbie wrote:still havent started studying.... am I the absolute only one? I'm starting to fear that the re-take was a bad idea...


You don't need to take it, you could wait til December.


I'm already signed up now, can I change it to Dec?. I'm borderline (hence the retake) for a lot of schools so I'm sending out my apps VERY early. I feel like if I took in Dec., a lot of schools would have already made up their mind on me. No?


Don't mean to sound harsh but you can't be lazy and complain about it. If you can't light the fire then accept your original score. Just because it's borderline doesn't mean you won't get into any of your top schools. You could always take a diagnostic to see how the lay-off affected you for better or worse. Supposedly many do much better after a semi-long LSAT break. Heck just taking a few PT's and working on a few certain things might net you a couple extra points and make some of your top schools safety schools.


Not harsh, that's the truth! I need to step it up if I'm going to do this. I would be thrilled with a 1 pt gain. I'm not applying to really intense schools, just the mid-range UF, Wake Forest, and similarly ranked. I have a 163, so I'm a WL candidate. and a 164 means I have a shot at UGA and would possibly bump me up to an acceptance at other schools. I'm not an auto-ding at any of the schools I'm applying to (except maybe 1 or 2 super reaches I might throw an app to) but the 1 point would be very helpful for me. Someone come take all this beer from me and give me a pep talk :( haha

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Chris_cpb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I think a lot of people who re-take do what Barbie is doing. I guess it depends on how far your original score is from your desired score. Some people take 50+ PT's before the first real test and then only take an additional 5-10 before the re-take. Others might try alternative prep materials that differ somehow from the ones they may have used earlier.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 am

Chris_cpb wrote:I think a lot of people who re-take do what Barbie is doing. I guess it depends on how far your original score is from your desired score. Some people take 50+ PT's before the first real test and then only take an additional 5-10 before the re-take. Others might try alternative prep materials that differ somehow from the ones they may have used earlier.


yea, except I only ever did a few prep tests to study before.... so it seems like now is the time I have to actually study seriously to improve at all.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 am

Barbie wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:I think a lot of people who re-take do what Barbie is doing. I guess it depends on how far your original score is from your desired score. Some people take 50+ PT's before the first real test and then only take an additional 5-10 before the re-take. Others might try alternative prep materials that differ somehow from the ones they may have used earlier.


yea, except I only ever did a few prep tests to study before.... so it seems like now is the time I have to actually study seriously to improve at all.


In that case it has to do with a change in lifestyle. You have to lock yourself in your room or wherever you study and basically make it your number one priority to score higher this next time around. If that doesn't really seem like something you would or could do at the moment, then i would probably suggest re-taking it at a later date.

User avatar
rbhesser
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby rbhesser » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 am

After I took the test last October, I immediately signed up for the December test but never could wrap my head around studying. It's hard to go right back into it; I definitely understand where you are coming from. I ended up taking a no-show for the test, half because I never really put in the right amount of studying and half because I had the swine flu :) I don't know what you got on your last test, but maybe consider reading through the bibles? All I did last fall was take preptests, so now I'm trying to learn the logic behind why I choose each answer. So far its been helping. Although I'll know for sure a few more weeks in. I'm only about a week and a half into serious studying. If you can get motivated and start this weekend or the beginning of next week, I think you'll have plenty of time to boost your score. If you really want to get into those borderline schools, taking the test now is definitely your best option.

User avatar
mynjb26
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby mynjb26 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

Gosh I sure hope not!! That would add on just a little more stress, with a hint of pain. :-)

TMT90 wrote:
mynjb26 wrote:Hello everyone!!

I've had a consistent headache for about a month now; the amount of time I've been studying for it.


+1 although my headaches might also be a result of my impacted wisdom teeth.

Adu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

Did you guys read any materials before taking PTs?
I am reading the bibles and honestly when they give practice questions I keep getting them wrong for some reason. I am really stressing out; did this happen to any of you? Plese reassure me lol
I want to try out the technique of taking the PT twice, once timed and another time untimed.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 am

Question for those who use the bibles: After finishing do you review them at all? How much? Of the two practice tests I've taken, my most missed question type was Assumption. I definitely want to review that chapter.

User avatar
rahimali
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby rahimali » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am

Adu wrote:Did you guys read any materials before taking PTs?
I am reading the bibles and honestly when they give practice questions I keep getting them wrong for some reason. I am really stressing out; did this happen to any of you? Plese reassure me lol
I want to try out the technique of taking the PT twice, once timed and another time untimed.


don't worry, buddy. I had the same problem. Just take your time. It'll come to you eventually.

Adu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:04 am

rahimali wrote:
Adu wrote:Did you guys read any materials before taking PTs?
I am reading the bibles and honestly when they give practice questions I keep getting them wrong for some reason. I am really stressing out; did this happen to any of you? Plese reassure me lol
I want to try out the technique of taking the PT twice, once timed and another time untimed.


don't worry, buddy. I had the same problem. Just take your time. It'll come to you eventually.


Thanks! I've been reading the LR Bilbe 2-3 hours a day and then I plan on finishing the LG one. I just needed to be reassured that I wasn;t the only one stuggling so much at first. I'm going to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
Quick question, how long does it take to get your LSAT score once you've taken it? I think I saw that info somwhere, but I can't remember :-s

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12423
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

lparker wrote:Question for those who use the bibles: After finishing do you review them at all? How much? Of the two practice tests I've taken, my most missed question type was Assumption. I definitely want to review that chapter.


Use Kaplan Mastery. You can work with the specific question types you went over in the LRB. This has really helped me. I'll do Main Point in the LRB and then work with the Main Point questions in Kaplan Mastery.

Good luck!

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12423
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:14 pm

[/quote]Not harsh, that's the truth! I need to step it up if I'm going to do this. I would be thrilled with a 1 pt gain. I'm not applying to really intense schools, just the mid-range UF, Wake Forest, and similarly ranked. I have a 163, so I'm a WL candidate. and a 164 means I have a shot at UGA and would possibly bump me up to an acceptance at other schools. I'm not an auto-ding at any of the schools I'm applying to (except maybe 1 or 2 super reaches I might throw an app to) but the 1 point would be very helpful for me. Someone come take all this beer from me and give me a pep talk :( haha[/quote]

Barbie, go to a school because you want to go there, not because "rankings" compel you to go there. Keep in mind that aside from some schools in the Top 14, most law schools are regional. So, a higher ranking doesnt necessarily mean better job prospects. So if youre thinking about going to Wake Forest because you think it'll help you get a job in NYC, or some other large market, more so than UF will, dont be fooled. Wake Forest will help you get a job in NC and UF in FL.

Good luck!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:46 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Not harsh, that's the truth! I need to step it up if I'm going to do this. I would be thrilled with a 1 pt gain. I'm not applying to really intense schools, just the mid-range UF, Wake Forest, and similarly ranked. I have a 163, so I'm a WL candidate. and a 164 means I have a shot at UGA and would possibly bump me up to an acceptance at other schools. I'm not an auto-ding at any of the schools I'm applying to (except maybe 1 or 2 super reaches I might throw an app to) but the 1 point would be very helpful for me. Someone come take all this beer from me and give me a pep talk :( haha[/quote]

Barbie, go to a school because you want to go there, not because "rankings" compel you to go there. Keep in mind that aside from some schools in the Top 14, most law schools are regional. So, a higher ranking doesnt necessarily mean better job prospects. So if youre thinking about going to Wake Forest because you think it'll help you get a job in NYC, or some other large market, more so than UF will, dont be fooled. Wake Forest will help you get a job in NC and UF in FL.

Good luck![/quote]

Oh I know. I'm just not picky... I know I want to live in or near the south east.. so FL, GA, NC, TN, KY, MS is pretty much it. I'm only sending a few apps elsewhere to schools I would really like and states I wouldn't mind living in (U. Colorado). I'm not really applying anywhere near NY/DC because I wouldn't like living there. I'm wayyyy too much of a southern girl.


To the person who asked about how long til you get your score- roughly 3 weeks. Mine came out really early this last cycle (before a lot of ppl on TLS) and I got it at a very early lunch on a Thursday (i think......) when it was supposed to come out on Monday.

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby etown989 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Adu wrote:Did you guys read any materials before taking PTs?
I am reading the bibles and honestly when they give practice questions I keep getting them wrong for some reason. I am really stressing out; did this happen to any of you? Plese reassure me lol
I want to try out the technique of taking the PT twice, once timed and another time untimed.


I believe that the practice questions are exactly that... practice. If you get a question wrong at least its a practice one and they give you a full explanation on it. No worries

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby etown989 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Adu wrote:
rahimali wrote:
Adu wrote:Did you guys read any materials before taking PTs?
I am reading the bibles and honestly when they give practice questions I keep getting them wrong for some reason. I am really stressing out; did this happen to any of you? Plese reassure me lol
I want to try out the technique of taking the PT twice, once timed and another time untimed.


don't worry, buddy. I had the same problem. Just take your time. It'll come to you eventually.


Thanks! I've been reading the LR Bilbe 2-3 hours a day and then I plan on finishing the LG one. I just needed to be reassured that I wasn;t the only one stuggling so much at first. I'm going to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
Quick question, how long does it take to get your LSAT score once you've taken it? I think I saw that info somewhere, but I can't remember :-s


Its on the lsac website and typically scores have been release 1-4 days earlier then they are supposed to be.

thomas85
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby thomas85 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Very first timed 170! - logic games have quickly gone from enemy to best friend.

thomas85
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby thomas85 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:35 pm

When you guys are doing timed tests, have you tried adding a fifth section to simulate the practice section? Does it make a big difference in terms of your stamina?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, dj9i27, Instrumental and 14 guests