October 2010 Test Prep

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Does anyone else have issues remembering the stem? Or not... remembering, exactly, just you read it really quickly and choose your answers without really consciously thinking ASSUMPTION, JUSTIFY, WEAKEN, etc... Sometimes I re-read the stem and I'm like I don't even remember reading that. It doesn't (usually) make any difference to my score - questions I miss aren't because I misread the stem.

Also, random question. Do you guys pronounce it L-SAT (like, L sat down on the floor), or L-S-A-T, like initials only? I say L-SAT.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 pm

L-sat down on the floor. Most of the time my trouble comes from not remembering everything in the stimulus rather than the stem haha.

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lastch2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:It really depends, I think.

If a question stem simply states "This argument assumes" or "Which one of the following is an assumption made by the argument", I think reading the stem is better because you know what you're looking for right away. However, there are often stems like "The argument that _______ makes which one of the following assumptions?" or something similar. If the stimulus talks about two theories and the stem only asks you for an assumption regarding one of them, reading the stimulus first would be better.

This method would of course involve peaking at the stem. Sooner or later, you'll be able to recognize the stem by one quick glance.

Obviously, there's more to this test than assumptions, but it was just easiest to state my case using one example.

Thoughts?


agreed for the most part

User avatar
rbhesser
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby rbhesser » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:03 pm

eit wrote:
Also, random question. Do you guys pronounce it L-SAT (like, L sat down on the floor), or L-S-A-T, like initials only? I say L-SAT.


So funny you asked that. I've always called it L-SAT but then I re-watched Legally Blonde the other day and they called it L-S-A-T. For a second there I had to wonder if I've sounded like an idiot for the past year. Haha. :)

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm a stimulus first convert. It makes me slow down and read more carefully.

I say L-SAT. I've never heard the M-CAT called the M-C-A-Ts. Just as an aside...

faexylona
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby faexylona » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi, everyone

I hope your studying is going well. I have a question to ask about an advice previously posted. I think page 40?
The advice was to take a pretest twice, like the same test twice. I was wondering what are the benefits?

Also, for those of you who are taking two pretests per week, how do you manage your time reviewing your mistakes? For example, after you complete your pretest, do you review the test on the same day for 2 hours and then three days later you take your second pretest?

The reason why I ask this question is because I will start taking two pretests per week next week.

Thank you in advance

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Still haven't broken 170, another fucking 167. Preptests are 159 (cold), 163, 165, 166, 167, 167. I'm starting to get really worried.

-3 LR
-6 RC (again I keep fucking having problems with time)
-0 LG
-5 LR (last section felt burnt out yesterday)

I'm starting to get worried i'll never break 170.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Still haven't broken 170, another fucking 167. Preptests are 159 (cold), 163, 165, 166, 167, 167. I'm starting to get really worried.

-3 LR
-6 RC (again I keep fucking having problems with time)
-0 LG
-5 LR (last section felt burnt out yesterday)

I'm starting to get worried i'll never break 170.


Dude. You have 2 months. Just keep taking PTs.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:40 pm

3|ink wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Still haven't broken 170, another fucking 167. Preptests are 159 (cold), 163, 165, 166, 167, 167. I'm starting to get really worried.

-3 LR
-6 RC (again I keep fucking having problems with time)
-0 LG
-5 LR (last section felt burnt out yesterday)

I'm starting to get worried i'll never break 170.


Dude. You have 2 months. Just keep taking PTs.


Dont worry. You have plenty of time. You're doing well so far. At this point its just a matter of getting the concepts down solid. Reading comprehension obviously gave you problems. Since you say time is an issue, maybe try reading more on your down time. Non LSAT stuff. This has helped me. I just read Obama's Audacity book in 3 days and I did a RC section last night that I finished with like 2 minutes to spare and I got all 6 questions correct. Granted, it was just one section, but still.

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Anaconda wrote:
Dripworx wrote:Just hit 168 on PT 22

LG -1
LR -4
LR -4
RC -7 :( Kids at starbucks were screaming like it was the apocalypse

my LR is my weakest point but RC kicked my ass, the curve on this test was super generous as well... so back to the books!


Jeez, you're making awesome progress! Isn't your goal 170?



Yes yes, I honestly attribute alot of help from this forum. If I didnt find pithypikes guide, I dont know if I would have improved as much as I have. 170 from a diagnostic 140/139... 30 pt. LEAP lol!

User avatar
lamentable
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lamentable » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm

faexylona wrote:Hi, everyone

I hope your studying is going well. I have a question to ask about an advice previously posted. I think page 40?
The advice was to take a pretest twice, like the same test twice. I was wondering what are the benefits?

Also, for those of you who are taking two pretests per week, how do you manage your time reviewing your mistakes? For example, after you complete your pretest, do you review the test on the same day for 2 hours and then three days later you take your second pretest?

The reason why I ask this question is because I will start taking two pretests per week next week.

Thank you in advance


The benefits are that you get the most out of your PT. Working your way through questions timed and untimed helps determine which question types are really giving you trouble.

Before I would just look through my incorrect answers and assume I actually knew why my previous answer was wrong and why the correct answer was correct. Actually sitting down and reasoning through each answer choice forces me to confront my weaknesses. Ah, humility...

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:23 pm

I just finished Prep Test #36 - overall, 94 raw, 174 scaled. I think that might be my highest raw score so far - not the highest scaled score, though.

Anyways, that doesn't matter, because I FINALLY ACHIEVED THE MYTHICAL -0 RC. So happy! So far I've had one -0LG, and one -0RC. Lowest I've gotten on LR, bane of my existence, is -1. Love, love, love RC right now. I hated it a couple weeks ago though. Takes some time to find your stride for that, I think, because I didn't get any better at reading in between.

I was really pleased with games today, I finished with 5 minutes left, two stupid errors on the in/out game, but I wasn't nearly as frazzled/daunted by any of the games as I have been in the last little while, I felt pretty confident throughout. Three perfect games, too, that's a confidence booster.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 pm

took prep test 38. scored a 155. -9 RC ( getting better whoo hoo) -1LG ( Ill take it) and -8 LR1 -9 LR2. Experimental section was RC (-10). After doing test analysis I found that I am consistently missing flaw and assumption questions.( missed 4/6 flaw and 4 out of 6 assumption questions- necessary and sufficient.) I dont know if this is a good thing to be consistently missing the same type of question or a bad thing, since these questions come up so frequently.(-8 of these 2 types) I guess I need to totally forget what I have learned ( apparently it isnt much) and re visit both groups of questions and drill them like my legal career depends on it.

Any other sources of information that I should be looking at . Iam using pr and powerscore bibles. Perhaps there is another way to help me get these types of questions down pat. Parallel questions are pretty easy, but they take so long, i only do them after I answer the rest of the questions.


Good luck, and Im glad to hear everyone is making good progress. Keep up the good work

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:36 pm

northwood wrote:took prep test 38. scored a 155. -9 RC ( getting better whoo hoo) -1LG ( Ill take it) and -8 LR1 -9 LR2. Experimental section was RC (-10). After doing test analysis I found that I am consistently missing flaw and assumption questions.( missed 4/6 flaw and 4 out of 6 assumption questions- necessary and sufficient.) I dont know if this is a good thing to be consistently missing the same type of question or a bad thing, since these questions come up so frequently.(-8 of these 2 types) I guess I need to totally forget what I have learned ( apparently it isnt much) and re visit both groups of questions and drill them like my legal career depends on it.

Any other sources of information that I should be looking at . Iam using pr and powerscore bibles. Perhaps there is another way to help me get these types of questions down pat. Parallel questions are pretty easy, but they take so long, i only do them after I answer the rest of the questions.


Good luck, and Im glad to hear everyone is making good progress. Keep up the good work



Someone around my level finally! What score are you hoping for on test day? Interested in doing some studying together via aim?

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Wow, 30 points? What have you been doing!??! Give me details... haha.

Dripworx wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Dripworx wrote:Just hit 168 on PT 22

LG -1
LR -4
LR -4
RC -7 :( Kids at starbucks were screaming like it was the apocalypse

my LR is my weakest point but RC kicked my ass, the curve on this test was super generous as well... so back to the books!


Jeez, you're making awesome progress! Isn't your goal 170?



Yes yes, I honestly attribute alot of help from this forum. If I didnt find pithypikes guide, I dont know if I would have improved as much as I have. 170 from a diagnostic 140/139... 30 pt. LEAP lol!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

After reading about your 30 point leap, I decided I will be taking 3 LSAT practice tests a week hah.

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:52 pm

ly2010 wrote:Wow, 30 points? What have you been doing!??! Give me details... haha.

Dripworx wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Dripworx wrote:Just hit 168 on PT 22

LG -1
LR -4
LR -4
RC -7 :( Kids at starbucks were screaming like it was the apocalypse

my LR is my weakest point but RC kicked my ass, the curve on this test was super generous as well... so back to the books!


Jeez, you're making awesome progress! Isn't your goal 170?



Yes yes, I honestly attribute alot of help from this forum. If I didnt find pithypikes guide, I dont know if I would have improved as much as I have. 170 from a diagnostic 140/139... 30 pt. LEAP lol!


Took PT 25 today and got a 167 which was stupid because I missed 6 on LR over a misunderstanding.

My biggest problem was LG and I hammered LG down to a T until I had it down to -0 with time to spare. LR is my biggest weakness, and its pretty much the harder questions that give me trouble... assumptions, paradox, and parallel (flaw/except/etc.)

follow pithypikes guide, test test test test test. timed/untimed, do it all. repitition is key.

get into a habit of waking up early, sleeping early. It will make more sense on the saturday morning of the test, personally I use nyquil but alot of people have problems with taking OTC meds to sleep. Im an insomniac so i have to do something about my pattern.

my biggest advice? learn to love this test. eat, sleep, shit lsat. lol

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 pm

jaydizzle wrote:After reading about your 30 point leap, I decided I will be taking 3 LSAT practice tests a week hah.



Do it, I do 2 a day as is :mrgreen:

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 pm

So how long have you been studying? I just need like...10 points... haha.

Edit: 2 a day!? WOW!

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:57 pm

ly2010 wrote:So how long have you been studying? I just need like...10 points... haha.

Edit: 2 a day!? WOW!



since may, so... just now 4 months

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Dripworx wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:After reading about your 30 point leap, I decided I will be taking 3 LSAT practice tests a week hah.



Do it, I do 2 a day as is :mrgreen:


Good lord.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

if you do 2 a day, then call me batman.

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Well, he must be doing something right with a 30+ increase. I am going to start doing one a day... and hope for a 15+ increase :)

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey Drip, did you only follow Pithypikes guide or did you incorporate some other stuff? I've been following a combination of pithy's guide and LSATBlog's guide. I ask because I'd like to be able to make a HUGE jump like you. I dont need 30 points, but 15 or so would be ideal.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Dripworx wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:After reading about your 30 point leap, I decided I will be taking 3 LSAT practice tests a week hah.



Do it, I do 2 a day as is :mrgreen:


Wow. That's insane. Aren't you concerned about running out of material?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cctv, dontsaywhatyoumean, Google [Bot], Instrumental, ThatOneAfrican and 10 guests