October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Anaconda

Silver

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by Anaconda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:14 pm

eit wrote:Started working with my LGB today. Who here has both the LGB and LRB (I imagine quite a few people)? Is it worth it to buy the LRB as well?

All this diagramming is tiring, I have to say. By the tenth time I had to diagram a question, my mind was slowing down. Good practice for endurance, though.
Diagramming eventually becomes quick and easy.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 am

Anyone have the hookup on preptests 39, 41, and 42? I must have them all! Those are the only 3 I am missing! I MUST HAVE THEM ALL

hameeds2

New

Post by hameeds2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:08 am

Hey guys,

So i am just now starting to do practice tests since I'm done with the powerscore books. I have the 10 Actual, offical lsat test booklet from LSAC. I was wondering if that's what i need to keep ordering, such as the 10 Next offical Lsat test booklets? I'm a bit confused about the numbered preptests, such as 47, 50 preptest. Is that better to practice with?
Where and which Lsat test prep booklets should I strongly consider if I want to have 40 completed by october?

Thanks!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:22 am

hameeds2 wrote:Hey guys,

So i am just now starting to do practice tests since I'm done with the powerscore books. I have the 10 Actual, offical lsat test booklet from LSAC. I was wondering if that's what i need to keep ordering, such as the 10 Next offical Lsat test booklets? I'm a bit confused about the numbered preptests, such as 47, 50 preptest. Is that better to practice with?
Where and which Lsat test prep booklets should I strongly consider if I want to have 40 completed by october?

Thanks!
From what I have gleaned, the later prep tests (numbered in the 40's and 50's especially) are necessary to take, because the tests have changed slightly over the years. General consensus seems to be: games might be slightly easier? but there are also comments saying there are more tricky ones on the recent ones, reading comprehension is supposedly more difficult or more "subtle," and LR might be written a bit differently (more comprehensibly, ostensibly). I haven't moved on to that stage in my prep so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read a lot about the test, and that's what I've heard.

My personal plan is to use the older tests for practice, for drills, for just doing sections at a time, and when I move towards doing more regular timed prep tests, I will use the newer tests so that I have a better idea of my score. I'd pick up 10 more actual (or next 10, not sure which is newest) as well as newer tests (40-50's) to study with.

Jim Halpert

New

Post by Jim Halpert » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:45 am

Anaconda wrote:
eit wrote:Started working with my LGB today. Who here has both the LGB and LRB (I imagine quite a few people)? Is it worth it to buy the LRB as well?

All this diagramming is tiring, I have to say. By the tenth time I had to diagram a question, my mind was slowing down. Good practice for endurance, though.
Diagramming eventually becomes quick and easy.
He speaks the truth...at first I was so confused. Inferences are coming faster and faster now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jim Halpert

New

Post by Jim Halpert » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:Oct '10 crew:

I've been getting so lazy lately...I was supposed to study last night but I ended up watching tv for 6 hours. Doesn't help that I work for our family business from around 7-8AM to around 6-7PM. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Bro, you can do it even if your busy. I am in class or at work everyday from 9-6 and I find time to work out and get 20+ hours in of studying. Just get away from all the distractions and crack down.
I guess I just need to push myself more...I've been so tired lately. I haven't hit the gym in about 6 months. Out of curiosity, what's your schedule like everyday?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Jim Halpert wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I've been getting so lazy lately...I was supposed to study last night but I ended up watching tv for 6 hours. Doesn't help that I work for our family business from around 7-8AM to around 6-7PM. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
Bro, you can do it even if your busy. I am in class or at work everyday from 9-6 and I find time to work out and get 20+ hours in of studying. Just get away from all the distractions and crack down.
I guess I just need to push myself more...I've been so tired lately. I haven't hit the gym in about 6 months. Out of curiosity, what's your schedule like everyday?
M-TH: Up at 6, breakfast or news or whatever till 6:30, gym from 6:45ish to 8:15ish, shower/protein shake till 8:45, class 9-11, change/lunch 11:15-11:45, work 12-6, LSAT or class study 6:30-10, in bed by midnight.

F the same as above except no studying and instead going out.

Saturday I wake up, go for my long run (7-10 miles), and then hang out relax, try to get about 4 hours of studying in before going out.

Sunday I wake up, go to church, and I hang out relax, do a little more studying, and get done whatever apartment cleaning or errand running that needs to be done.

EDIT: I'm not completely strict about my schedule, like last night I just went home and watched TV because I was exhausted. But will probably make up for it this weekend.

kineticx

New

Post by kineticx » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:04 pm

unemployed significant others + LSAT studying = disaster. I'm looking forward to my vacation to get some studying done...

StirFry101

New

Post by StirFry101 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Make sure you're exercising!! This can't be stressed enough. It will help you sleep better, focus harder, and will do wonders for your confidence. You cannot push the brain to its limits unless you do the same to the body. They go together.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

M-TH: Up at 6, breakfast or news or whatever till 6:30, gym from 6:45ish to 8:15ish, shower/protein shake till 8:45, class 9-11, change/lunch 11:15-11:45, work 12-6, LSAT or class study 6:30-10, in bed by midnight.

Saturday I wake up, go for my long run (7-10 miles), and then hang out relax, try to get about 4 hours of studying in before going out.

Sunday I wake up, go to church, and I hang out relax, do a little more studying, and get done whatever apartment cleaning or errand running that needs to be done.

EDIT: I'm not completely strict about my schedule, like last night I just went home and watched TV because I was exhausted. But will probably make up for it this weekend.
pro schedule, got me beat!

also, I can't find a library or anything like that that is open till 10 where I live...any suggestions

lamentable

New

Post by lamentable » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

@brickman- are there any coffeeshops around you that are open that late? Also, it might not be the best alternative but I'm sure there is a Denny's or some sort of diner that is open late. It won't be the best for removing distractions, but it'll test your resilience.

lamentable

New

Post by lamentable » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Regarding RC, how long does it take you all to go through a passage? After haphazardly going through a passage I have focused on detailing the structure of each paragraph (just a few words touching on the structure). After three passages I have consistently timed at 4:30 per passage. It seems pretty high, but the accuracy I'm getting is a lot better than before.

So, thoughts on timing RC passages? Should it get down closer to 3:30?

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Lamentable, what is your avatar?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:36 pm

brickman, I use the campus library as I am at school for the summer. But you can probably use your local campus library as long as it doesn't require you scan an (some do and some don't).

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:brickman, I use the campus library as I am at school for the summer. But you can probably use your local campus library as long as it doesn't require you scan an (some do and some don't).
Burbs job= local library branch which closes at 9! Starbucks it is.

Lamentable's avatar is the alma mater at u of i, speaking of which, lamentable, pm me back, I'll be down this/next weekend!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:00 pm

brickman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:brickman, I use the campus library as I am at school for the summer. But you can probably use your local campus library as long as it doesn't require you scan an (some do and some don't).

Lamentable's avatar is the alma mater at u of i, speaking of which, lamentable, pm me back, I'll be down this/next weekend!
but is there a university near you?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
brickman wrote:

but is there a university near you?
ehh, I'll have to look, there may be a junior college somewhere around here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

libertarian

Bronze

Post by libertarian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 pm

libertarian wrote:I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Poster here since 2007; mostly stay in the Lounge these days.

Started studying for the LSAT in 08, but never took the exam.

Now studying for Oct.

88 DAYS MOTHERFUCKERS.

Incidentally, the author of this thread should PM me more photos, providing that is a self-tar.
Lib, i'm with you, i'm taking in october but not applying till the following year. So i'll be another lurker that stays on this site way too long.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Lib or Patriot:

PM me if you need any materials. I have the motherload and am willing to get rid of it for cheap!!

libertarian

Bronze

Post by libertarian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Last edited by libertarian on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:29 pm

libertarian wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Lib or Patriot:

PM me if you need any materials. I have the motherload and am willing to get rid of it for cheap!!
I appreciate that, but I should be set.

I have:

LG Bible
RC Bible
LR Bible
LG Ultimate Setups Guide (also from PowerScore)
All but 5 actual exams

I'll let you know if anything changes!
Same, I have

LG bible
LR bible
Every Kaplan Material they give you with they advanced class
And every single practice test (even preordered junes)

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 pm

lamentable wrote:Regarding RC, how long does it take you all to go through a passage? After haphazardly going through a passage I have focused on detailing the structure of each paragraph (just a few words touching on the structure). After three passages I have consistently timed at 4:30 per passage. It seems pretty high, but the accuracy I'm getting is a lot better than before.

So, thoughts on timing RC passages? Should it get down closer to 3:30?
It takes me about 1-2 minutes per passage, depending on the content. If it's a passage on somebody's opinions of poetry or some jazz like that, I pretty much need a minute and then I'm done haha - English major here. But the science ones take me longer. However, this is natural speed reading and probably not recommended, I work to slow myself down.

I need to speed the eff up on Logic Games. I've only just got through the chapter on Linear Games though, so I can't get too anxious. At least I'm getting better at my diagrams. Please raise your hand if you love Not Laws. Seriously. Works much better than what I was doing before.

I feel almost like I'm neglecting my LR and RC while I'm focusing so much on these Logic Games... think I'll review my LR from a couple days ago tonight after I take a break.

Jim Halpert

New

Post by Jim Halpert » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I think I need to start doing the same...my schedule is pretty close to yours actually. How do you handle going out and coming home late? I've pretty much blown my friends off the past month and sometimes I just sit in my room watching tv because I can't concentrate on studying. It may take me 30-45 mins to get through a game or I may fly through one if its easy...sometimes I just zone out. :roll:

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:36 pm

After getting my score back, I am now officially hopping onto this thread.
Jim Halpert wrote:
I think I need to start doing the same...my schedule is pretty close to yours actually. How do you handle going out and coming home late? I've pretty much blown my friends off the past month and sometimes I just sit in my room watching tv because I can't concentrate on studying. It may take me 30-45 mins to get through a game or I may fly through one if its easy...sometimes I just zone out. :roll:
The easy answer is to commit yourself to these next few months of studying. You're going to have to sacrifice something for studying time.

I work full-time, so it's a pain in the ass allocating proper study time. My girlfriend is as bummed as I am over my score, since she's perfectly aware of what a few months of studying this test will mean.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”