October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lastch2

Bronze

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by lastch2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 pm

gdane5 wrote:
lastch2 wrote:i finally had the time to take the untimed version of PT 27..i was seriously shooting for a 180 but as of yet timed or untimed i have not had one, single -0 on any section. it's depressing. breakdown as follows:

timed: untimed
LR -2 - LR -3 (WTF!)
LG -5 - LG -1
RC -5 - RC -2
LR -4 - LR -3
170 - 176---> not sure about that crazy curve

obviously my LR needs some serious work, which makes sense bc i'm still working through PS LRB, but as a philosophy major with several logic classes under my belt this is pathetic.
Those undergrad logic classes dont help as much as you think they do. Knowing about modus ponens and modus tollens and red herrings really doesnt do sh*t for you when it comes to the LSAT.

Even though those results are untimed, they're still good. Keep working at it. You're getting there. Dont panic and stay confident. Start timing yourself within the next few weeks.

Good luck!
thanks for the support!! the first column is timed though

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I've got my PT schedule set out all the way up until test day. I was/am planning on taking the June 2010 test the thursday before the LSAT. At first i thought this would be a good idea because I'd be taking the most recent test as close as I can to the real thing (I'm taking Friday off, obviously), however people have been telling me that I should be doing it sooner and/or I shouldn't be taking a full LSAT two days before the test.

What do you think?

I was also thinking of taking that day off work, and recreating the test experience by taking it first thing in the morning. Bad idea?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:44 pm

sanetruth wrote:I've got my PT schedule set out all the way up until test day. I was/am planning on taking the June 2010 test the thursday before the LSAT. At first i thought this would be a good idea because I'd be taking the most recent test as close as I can to the real thing (I'm taking Friday off, obviously), however people have been telling me that I should be doing it sooner and/or I shouldn't be taking a full LSAT two days before the test.

What do you think?

I was also thinking of taking that day off work, and recreating the test experience by taking it first thing in the morning. Bad idea?
'
This is exactly what Im doing. I'm doing PT 60 on the Thursday prior to the LSAT, PT 59 on the Monday prior to the LSAT and PT 58 on the Saturday morning prior to the LSAT. I'll take days between tests to go over the results and rest up.

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm

I used SOS's method for the first time today. I scored a 163 timed and a 166 untimed, though i didn't go back over the games section again at all because i didn't feel that would be as beneficial. I found that i repeated a few incorrect LR answers the second time around, while also getting a few that had been incorrect in the timed version right the second time around. I can't begin to describe how boring the reading comprehension section is a second time around. I think i'll keep with this method some more and see how it goes.

bdegoli1

New

Looking for Study Partner 170-175 +/-

Post by bdegoli1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey everybody-

I've been studying for the October test since early June, currently PTing around 173 average (last 5 PTs: 171, 171, 174, 174, 174). Looking for somebody who's in approximately the same place in terms of time and/or performance, though I'd be happy to work with somebody PTing slightly lower or higher than me. Hoping to share strategies, discuss progress and inspire motivation. I'm in the Philly area, so also willing to meet up if you're around me, but e-mail works just as well.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Asked by my old boss to come into work tomorrow during their firm trip. This means I will be sitting at my old desk from 8am-5pm doing nothing (not like I'm going to do work on the current girls' stuff) so... definitly perfect time to take a PT! hopefully tomorrow I can post something besides "Shit... I still haven't started..." and also I hope that I haven't dropped much below my June test score. Fingers crossed :)

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
brickman wrote:As I was eating grapes, I couldn't help but thinking about that logic reasoning question about how they have a lower ratio of iron/calorie then raisins.

I'm usually good about not letting my mind slip into LSAT thoughts outside of studying, but I got a good lulz out of it.
I can't help but invent questions out of the discussions I have with my friends. It's driving my girlfriend crazy.

Also, Eric, what happened to Dostoevsky? Who's the new guy?
haha, yea best to keep that at a minimum so we can keep those that will actually tolerate us during all of this.

Also, my avatar is another good European author, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm

My ear infection will not stop. i haven't gotten any studying done since Saturday. PAINNN

ly2010

Bronze

Post by ly2010 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am

I hate setting up pure sequencing games. For some reason I always set it up wrong and end up with a huge mess. GAH!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:05 am

Hannibal wrote:My ear infection will not stop. i haven't gotten any studying done since Saturday. PAINNN
ughhh I have an ear infection tooooo! it doesn't really hurt.. just really off balance.

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:47 am

gdane5 wrote:
sanetruth wrote:I've got my PT schedule set out all the way up until test day. I was/am planning on taking the June 2010 test the thursday before the LSAT. At first i thought this would be a good idea because I'd be taking the most recent test as close as I can to the real thing (I'm taking Friday off, obviously), however people have been telling me that I should be doing it sooner and/or I shouldn't be taking a full LSAT two days before the test.

What do you think?

'
This is exactly what Im doing. I'm doing PT 60 on the Thursday prior to the LSAT, PT 59 on the Monday prior to the LSAT and PT 58 on the Saturday morning prior to the LSAT. I'll take days between tests to go over the results and rest up.
gdane, my schedule is the exact same as yours for that week. Hope it works out for the both of us :)

On the other hand, what's the rationale for doing the more recent PTs sooner? I can't really think of any reason why it'd be bad to do them closer to the test date.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 am

yzero1 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

What do you think?

'
gdane, my schedule is the exact same as yours for that week. Hope it works out for the both of us :)

On the other hand, what's the rationale for doing the more recent PTs sooner? I can't really think of any reason why it'd be bad to do them closer to the test date.
Maybe it doesn't have an impact on you, but I do best when I haven't thought aout it in a while. I like a long time off, at least a week. I won't do any practice tests the week before the real test. The morning of, I do one logic games section (one I've done before) for a confidence booster and to get my mind right. It works for me (it did in June) so I think I'll do that again. If you can keep gunnin up until the test, go for it I guess.

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 am

Barbie wrote:
yzero1 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

What do you think?

'

Maybe it doesn't have an impact on you, but I do best when I haven't thought aout it in a while. I like a long time off, at least a week. I won't do any practice tests the week before the real test. The morning of, I do one logic games section (one I've done before) for a confidence booster and to get my mind right. It works for me (it did in June) so I think I'll do that again. If you can keep gunnin up until the test, go for it I guess.
Oh, that I understand - tapering works for a lot of people. I thought sanetruth meant mixing up the PT order by doing more recent ones sooner than older ones. My bad.

I'm considering giving myself an extra day (Thursday) to rest. Depends on my school schedule I guess :\

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 am

the high's and low's of studying for this test make it so frustrating. was just taking a diag, smashed first LR, second section games, they were what are usually very easy games for me and i just couldn't think. was still on the first question of game two, looked at my watch saw 15 min left, slammed the book closed and now i'm going to sleep.

I hate you lsat.

Studying and fasting at the same time is proving much more difficult than i anticipated. I get mentally drained so quickly.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:11 am

Mike088 wrote:the high's and low's of studying for this test make it so frustrating. was just taking a diag, smashed first LR, second section games, they were what are usually very easy games for me and i just couldn't think. was still on the first question of game two, looked at my watch saw 15 min left, slammed the book closed and now i'm going to sleep.

I hate you lsat.

Studying and fasting at the same time is proving much more difficult than i anticipated. I get mentally drained so quickly.
I'm at my last day of work... just started a practice test... did awful. called LSAC to see the deadline to withdrawal from my registration. (Sep 17th). Might just keep the 163 and apply early. Fuuuuuuuuuu....

bdegoli1

New

Post by bdegoli1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:31 am

Barbie wrote:
Mike088 wrote:the high's and low's of studying for this test make it so frustrating. was just taking a diag, smashed first LR, second section games, they were what are usually very easy games for me and i just couldn't think. was still on the first question of game two, looked at my watch saw 15 min left, slammed the book closed and now i'm going to sleep.

I hate you lsat.

I'm at my last day of work... just started a practice test... did awful. called LSAC to see the deadline to withdrawal from my registration. (Sep 17th). Might just keep the 163 and apply early. Fuuuuuuuuuu....
You are both dealing with distractions/complications--don't internalize them, just focus on your review, try to get lots of sleep, and take another PT in a few days. There is lots of time left before this test. Applying early will give you less of a bump than a 5 point jump, which you are definitely capable of achieving with 2 months to prep.

edisongrl

New

Post by edisongrl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am

Barbie wrote:

I hate you lsat.

You can do it!!!! FYI: Calories = Brainfood

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:51 am

edisongrl wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I hate you lsat.

Hahaha I consume plennttttyyy of calories...

And to the poster above, a 5 pt jump doesn't seem likely for meeee. :( I'm super discouraged.

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am

edisongrl wrote:And to the poster above, a 5 pt jump doesn't seem likely for meeee. I'm super discouraged.
Did you already take/score your practice test? Didn't you make a 163 pretty much cold? 5 pnts. (or more!) seems very reasonable given your past study history. I personally don't think you should settle for just applying early and hoping for the best.

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Barbie wrote:
edisongrl wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I hate you lsat.

And to the poster above, a 5 pt jump doesn't seem likely for meeee. :( I'm super discouraged.
I'm sure a 5 pt jump is possible if you study. as a fellow 163'er i cannot even explain how much better i understand the actual test now. i'm pt'ing higher than ever and managing time better just by studying differently (and at all actually, forgot about that part before)...don't take the test if you feel like you can't improve, but you shouldn't decide that until you've studied some more

on a different note..is anyone actually planning on taking PT's up until the day or so before? i'm all for a break if you need it but if i do a PT one day and another PT the next i normally feel much more centered and focused on the second one, like doing the one before helped prep me so i was thinking about taking maybe a 4 section on that friday morning at 8am...any thoughts?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:05 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
edisongrl wrote:
Barbie wrote: I'm at my last day of work... just started a practice test... did awful. called LSAC to see the deadline to withdrawal from my registration. (Sep 17th). Might just keep the 163 and apply early. Fuuuuuuuuuu....

I'm sure a 5 pt jump is possible if you study. as a fellow 163'er i cannot even explain how much better i understand the actual test now. i'm pt'ing higher than ever and managing time better just by studying differently (and at all actually, forgot about that part before)...don't take the test if you feel like you can't improve, but you shouldn't decide that until you've studied some more

on a different note..is anyone actually planning on taking PT's up until the day or so before? i'm all for a break if you need it but if i do a PT one day and another PT the next i normally feel much more centered and focused on the second one, like doing the one before helped prep me so i was thinking about taking maybe a 4 section on that friday morning at 8am...any thoughts?

Fellow 163er! you feel my painnn haha. I would actually be happy with a 164-165 (yea yea UGA!) but my PT I took this morning shows I'm essentially starting with way lower than my 163. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:05 pm

yzero1 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

What do you think?

'

This is my schedule the week before the test. I'll have done plenty more PT's by that time. Just do PT's when youre ready.

Good luck!

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Barbie wrote:

Fellow 163er! you feel my painnn haha. I would actually be happy with a 164-165 (yea yea UGA!) but my PT I took this morning shows I'm essentially starting with way lower than my 163. :(
uga is a great school a lot of my friends went there for various studies. i'm actually shooting for emory so we'll see, but i'm sure we both can make our respective goals!
Last edited by lastch2 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

does that mean you are too? we should be study buds. :)

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Barbie wrote:
lastch2 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

does that mean you are too? we should be study buds. :)
haha, it means i'm bad at computers! but we should be!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”