October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Rudy

New

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by Rudy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Protip: Do not come on TLS after tomorrow. There is nothing you don't already know. You will gain nothing. Being nervous will not help you. Try meditating this week.

I am 100% confident I am going to come in and munch this test like a bag of Pocky. Try to get yourself there too by whatever means you need to. If you score a high preptest, consider doing no more full lengths just to keep yourself psyched up.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:26 pm

The test is tomorrow, right?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:29 pm

3|ink wrote:The test is tomorrow, right?
(NOT) funny!

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:06 pm

I can't take it seriously anymore. I've taken about 10 PT's since my June test.

Scores are consistently 169-174. My LR is consistent, my RC is scary consistent, my games are somewhat hit or miss, but better recently.

I think I'll take PT 57's games, then 58, 59, 60 this weekend/ week. I'm very ready to be finished with this test. All my applications are finished, Santa Clara and Oklahoma already have my applications. I get very bored when I study, I'll finish all the sections with 5+ minutes left, and I just sit and day dream. I don't feel like I'm getting more out of studying.

Here's to being done in a week, and the binge drinking resuming.

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:10 pm

3|ink wrote:The test is tomorrow, right?
One can only wish...

Edit: I'm not taking my LSAT until the 12th, so I have an extra couple of excruciating days before I get this over with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I just did PT 58, and scored a respectable 177. I realized I got my typical "happy" raw score (97), but for some reason I'm seriously irritated with myself. Maybe it's the fact that I changed two right answers to wrong answers (one on LR, and one on RC), or just... the massive amount of errors in the first LR section.

I'm happy to report that I tackled the notorious "mapping" game in PT 40 for my experimental, and I got -0 on the entire section. I think I'd seen the lentils game before, though. But seriously, it wasn't that bad! I was afraid because I have terrible spatial skills (as in I don't know where I am in relation to things, really, I can't give people directions, etc).

So the breakdown was -3LR, -1LRC, -0LG, -0LR. The only good part was that I only got -3 overall LR this time, whereas on PT 57 (notorious it seems), I received a -6 LR overall. I've been going through the 100 most difficult questions and writing out explanations for questions I've gotten wrong. Not sure if that worked or what.

I'm not going on TLS again after Wednesday at the latest. That's when I take my last prep test. Depending what I get on it, I may report it as I usually do, or maybe not.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Is anybody else planning on writing all of their essays and personal statements between October 10th and 31st? I've hardly touched 'em. I only have to do a personal statement, one or two of the Penn supplementals and a Why Michigan essay, though. Maybe a Why NYU.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Just finished up PT 58 and got my best score ever....91 Raw/ 171 scaled. First time I've broken 170 after having my last 5 tests be in the 166-168 range. Hopefully this is a good sign for Saturday...

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Lasers wrote:i can't tell the difference between a hard test and an easy one. all a "harder" test does for me is allow me to score a few points higher.

i hope the test, especially the logic games, are brutal. :D
Yeah everyone seems to agree with your sentiment. I confess my opinion was not informed by paying any attention to the curve/difficulty trends whatsoever. I just do the tests & find the scaled score. Since many of you have & you seem to agree, I'll go ahead & join in the cheer for a nice curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Rudy wrote:Protip: Do not come on TLS after tomorrow. There is nothing you don't already know. You will gain nothing. Being nervous will not help you. Try meditating this week.
For some reason, coming on here to post & read is relaxing for me.

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:41 pm

eit wrote:I just did PT 58, and scored a respectable 177. I realized I got my typical "happy" raw score (97), but for some reason I'm seriously irritated with myself. Maybe it's the fact that I changed two right answers to wrong answers (one on LR, and one on RC), or just... the massive amount of errors in the first LR section.

I'm happy to report that I tackled the notorious "mapping" game in PT 40 for my experimental, and I got -0 on the entire section. I think I'd seen the lentils game before, though. But seriously, it wasn't that bad! I was afraid because I have terrible spatial skills (as in I don't know where I am in relation to things, really, I can't give people directions, etc).

So the breakdown was -3LR, -1LRC, -0LG, -0LR. The only good part was that I only got -3 overall LR this time, whereas on PT 57 (notorious it seems), I received a -6 LR overall. I've been going through the 100 most difficult questions and writing out explanations for questions I've gotten wrong. Not sure if that worked or what.

I'm not going on TLS again after Wednesday at the latest. That's when I take my last prep test. Depending what I get on it, I may report it as I usually do, or maybe not.
congrats on the score! I can definitely relate to your 'changing the right answer to wrong' sentiment; I have a question, though: when you do your RC, do you make any notes on the side (if so, which) and do you underline anything? I keep missing really dumb RC questions perhaps because i over-notate or just miss the right things to note. Thanks in advance!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:19 pm

if you have been writing on this thread since the very beginning, and studying all throughout the summer then have no fear... on october 9th you will destory the test like no other. I have total confidence in all of the long timer posters on this thread.

I would say good luck to you all on the 9th.. but i know we wont need it.. so for those who havent been intelligent enough to share your study experiences ( or study as long as we did) good luck to you.. i'm sure you will do just fine, but not as well as us

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Has the large influx of test takers for 59 and 60 caused the curve to be more generous or is LSAC just really stepping up their game? I highly doubt that the usuals are any less prepared than they normally are.

Also, Adjudicator, is that Sasha Grey? lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Has the large influx of test takers for 59 and 60 caused the curve to be more generous or is LSAC just really stepping up their game? I highly doubt that the usuals are any less prepared than they normally are.

lol. Yeah. :)

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:Has the large influx of test takers for 59 and 60 caused the curve to be more generous or is LSAC just really stepping up their game? I highly doubt that the usuals are any less prepared than they normally are.

lol. Yeah. :)
I lol'd when I saw it. So dope, haha.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:52 pm

lennonist wrote:
eit wrote:I just did PT 58, and scored a respectable 177. I realized I got my typical "happy" raw score (97), but for some reason I'm seriously irritated with myself. Maybe it's the fact that I changed two right answers to wrong answers (one on LR, and one on RC), or just... the massive amount of errors in the first LR section.

congrats on the score! I can definitely relate to your 'changing the right answer to wrong' sentiment; I have a question, though: when you do your RC, do you make any notes on the side (if so, which) and do you underline anything? I keep missing really dumb RC questions perhaps because i over-notate or just miss the right things to note. Thanks in advance!
I realized if I hadn't changed my two right answers to wrong ones I would have had a 180. Efffff. But whatever, live and learn. I changed one wrong answer to a right one. Still, if I'd changed nothing, I would have been better off.

When I do RC, I do not write anything beside the passage. I simply underline (A LOT) haha. I think at most I might star something I find important or draw a big bracket around something that I feel is important.

And northwood, you are the most positive person ever, thanks for that! I also think we're going to kick PT 61's butt.

Is anyone else thinking of it as a prep test? Obviously it's not, YET, but it will be, and I like calling it PT 61 to be like "ehhhh it's just one in a series, just like all the others, nothing special about PT 61."

In all honesty, I've taken 27 prep tests (as full timed PTs) and I'd be happy with the scores from 23 of them. So this whole JUST ANOTHER PREP TEST is going to be my mantra, haha.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:53 pm

How do you guys go over 57+? I had been using kaplan's test guide but that only goes up to 56.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:How do you guys go over 57+? I had been using kaplan's test guide but that only goes up to 56.
I bought Cambridge LSAT's pack, but in your position, if you want 'em, purchase them individually (amazon etc.).

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:00 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:How do you guys go over 57+? I had been using kaplan's test guide but that only goes up to 56.
I bought Cambridge LSAT's pack, but in your position, if you want 'em, purchase them individually (amazon etc.).
Not the test itself. What i meant was if there is a guide out there that goes over all the questions. Kaplan has something like this but it only goes to 56.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 pm

eit wrote:When I do RC, I do not write anything beside the passage. I simply underline (A LOT) haha. I think at most I might star something I find important or draw a big bracket around something that I feel is important.
I save stars for when the author reveals her position. I won't begin to describe my circle/box/underline/highlighting policy.
eit wrote:Is anyone else thinking of it as a prep test? Obviously it's not, YET, but it will be, and I like calling it PT 61 to be like "ehhhh it's just one in a series, just like all the others, nothing special about PT 61."
Someone already coined "bring on PT61". Forget the name, but the avatar was a dude with a seriously curly 'stache.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:02 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Not the test itself. What i meant was if there is a guide out there that goes over all the questions. Kaplan has something like this but it only goes to 56.
Ah. Sorry, dunno. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 pm

eit wrote:
lennonist wrote:

I realized if I hadn't changed my two right answers to wrong ones I would have had a 180. Efffff. But whatever, live and learn. I changed one wrong answer to a right one. Still, if I'd changed nothing, I would have been better off.

When I do RC, I do not write anything beside the passage. I simply underline (A LOT) haha. I think at most I might star something I find important or draw a big bracket around something that I feel is important.

And northwood, you are the most positive person ever, thanks for that! I also think we're going to kick PT 61's butt.

Is anyone else thinking of it as a prep test? Obviously it's not, YET, but it will be, and I like calling it PT 61 to be like "ehhhh it's just one in a series, just like all the others, nothing special about PT 61."

In all honesty, I've taken 27 prep tests (as full timed PTs) and I'd be happy with the scores from 23 of them. So this whole JUST ANOTHER PREP TEST is going to be my mantra, haha.

thanks, eit. that's good news, since i noticed i rarely look back on the notes anyway. I write "AA" or "A" when i see the author and will continue that, along with avoiding summarizing the content (huge time-eater). ok, off to do some more practice sections.

namaste, my fellow PT 61 gurus!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
eit wrote:When I do RC, I do not write anything beside the passage. I simply underline (A LOT) haha. I think at most I might star something I find important or draw a big bracket around something that I feel is important.
I save stars for when the author reveals her position. I won't begin to describe my circle/box/underline/highlighting policy.
eit wrote:Is anyone else thinking of it as a prep test? Obviously it's not, YET, but it will be, and I like calling it PT 61 to be like "ehhhh it's just one in a series, just like all the others, nothing special about PT 61."
Someone already coined "bring on PT61". Forget the name, but the avatar was a dude with a seriously curly 'stache.
Lol yeah, everyone has weird systems they've developed! I used to circle names, I think I do more of a "vicious underline" now.

Well, I think it's the best way to think of it, since we've spent so much time with PTs over the past couple months.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:I can't take it seriously anymore. I've taken about 10 PT's since my June test.

Scores are consistently 169-174. My LR is consistent, my RC is scary consistent, my games are somewhat hit or miss, but better recently.

I think I'll take PT 57's games, then 58, 59, 60 this weekend/ week. I'm very ready to be finished with this test. All my applications are finished, Santa Clara and Oklahoma already have my applications. I get very bored when I study, I'll finish all the sections with 5+ minutes left, and I just sit and day dream. I don't feel like I'm getting more out of studying.

Here's to being done in a week, and the binge drinking resuming.
You shouldn't go into the test wanting to get it over with and you shouldn't let 5 xtra mins just fly by. How about taking the weekend off to just enjoy and relax and just take a PT on tues and thrs. Burnout is a bitch and I literally took months off studyng for my retake because I was so over LSAT. (and it helped).

Also if you have 5 extra mins please for your own sake, go back to the beginning of the section and keep checking your answers until there is 1 minute left and then close your test book and relax for that last minutel.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:37 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Is anybody else planning on writing all of their essays and personal statements between October 10th and 31st? I've hardly touched 'em. I only have to do a personal statement, one or two of the Penn supplementals and a Why Michigan essay, though. Maybe a Why NYU.
Yes. I haven't touched that stuff and plan to do it all between Oct 10-Nov 10ish.
Getting started on my PS is going to suck.... lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”