October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Cromartie

Bronze

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by Cromartie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Ah, never mind then...

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:12 pm

lparker wrote:
3|ink wrote:My annoying freakin neighbor kept me up all night watching sponge bob square pants...
Get a fan...
+1

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:14 pm

lastch2 wrote: and just to weigh in on the food thing....yeah, worrying about it is just another outlet for worrying and LSAC wins. eat the heart of a lion if you're badass jungle warrior, eat wtf ever otherwise! :lol:

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

PT 47, 170. Hilarious distractions - generally baby-oriented - at a public library.
I think I have more ranting to do, but I need to go back & review before launching another attack on LSAC.

I REALLY wish the mock test on Sunday was in the morning - you know, like the test it's supposed to be mocking - rather than 12:30. I'm having a serious dilemma: A) wake up late to simulate the amount of time awake before taking the test, which is a significant factor in performance for me, or B) maintain my progress in adjusting my sleep schedule so that I can wake up on test day before 7 without an alarm. Probably gonna go with B, but I'm not sure.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Don't stress about sleep and sleeping schedule unless you're getting no sleep at all the night before. (stress about s and ss -> no s at all)

Variables for LSAT IMO: preparation...confidence on test day...sleep the night before...luck...intangibles like healthy diet and "right" sleeping schedule

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

almostthereee

New

Post by almostthereee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Can people attest that waking up in the morning and doing the test is a significant factor? I'm usually waking up at like 12 and starting my PT's at around 2...

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Anyone else screw up PT 52, Sec 4 (RC), Q 10?

I interpreted it to mean something like, "Each one of the following is true about the two passages EXCEPT:" With my mistaken interpretation in hand, I immediately eliminated C but found that the remaining four all looked equally correct.
I took the test a few days ago and didn't really understand what it was asking either. Ended up choosing D just to move on. Hopefully won't be making the same mistake again!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:07 pm

I chose B, but C fits perfectly. Evaluative claims is a very broad term and I should have recognized that.... and the question stem is kind of confusing. Think of it as the correct answer choice IS a way the two passages are NOT parallel.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 pm

almostthereee wrote:Can people attest that waking up in the morning and doing the test is a significant factor? I'm usually waking up at like 12 and starting my PT's at around 2...
I personally would be wary of relying on adrenaline to carry you through 4-5 hours of testing with the possibility of slow-reading proctors, laggers in the bathroom (usually women, poor girls), and oh, that writing sample thing. Take a PT in the morning if you can, with some breakfast, otherwise your brain won't be up to the task with no calories in your body. Word?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm

I can't wait for the day that I stop hearing necessary and conditional statements in lyrics, 10 more days!

Sooner1541

New

Post by Sooner1541 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Just wondering, Is anybody else going to OU/TX this weekend? I am nervous it will throw me off of my study schedule but would not miss it for anything. Funnest weekend of the year...win or lose. Just hope that 3 days off doesn't throw me off at all....but i plan on doing at least 3 PT's next week before the real deal Saturday :lol:

dgm5028

New

Post by dgm5028 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Perhaps I am completely missing something here, but can anyone explain why E is correct for PT-10 sec-1 #16?

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 pm

I can't stand when there's a logical error in an LSAT question. Episode II: PT47
Section 1, Q #26.
Among first-graders taking fun fun lessons..."those whose composition skills had improved the most had learned to write letters the most automatically"...

Which, if true, most strengthens the argument?

C! "Over the course of the lessons, the first-graders who showed greater improvement in their ability to write letters automatically also generally showed greater improvement in their composition skills."

Dear LSAC,
the question drew a correlation between those whose composition skills improved "the most" and those who learned to write letters "the most" automatically.
Your "correct" answer re-draws the same correlation, between "greater improvement" in their composition skills and "greater improvement" in their ability to write letters automatically. Yes, the order of appearance for the two variables in question was flip-flopped, but this is irrelevant.
I drew a line through answer C, because I identified it as re-stating the argument, which does not in fact strengthen the argument. In order to disagree with my sentiment, you must believe that there is a logical difference between "improving the most" and "showing greater improvement"... but you've eliminated the possibility for believing this, because in both cases the improving students are plural, so no one would reasonably assume that the initial question was only suggesting that the correlation existed for the single most improved student. That would be silliness. No, the question reads as a general correlation, as does the answer.

You could try to claim that the question deals with a more specific portion of the 100 students, while the answer broadens the scope, but it doesn't within the normal usage of the words you've used, and their normal connotations within that context. Perhaps I really am missing something, in which case I'd love to hear from you. Until then, I'll assume you thought you were being tricky while actually failing to use the language properly... for your benefit (otherwise I'd have to assume you made a logical error, and you wouldn't want that).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 pm

So...the LSAT draws near...I have PT 53-60 yet, and I likely won't get through all of them. Should I do 60 now and then work backwards? Or keep on with 54, 55, etc, then when I think it's my last one do 60?

I really don't think it matters and I'm just paranoid, but...w/e.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 pm

If you don't have time for all of them (which you don't, realistically), I would say to definitely prioritize 57-60 over the rest. I have done 57 and 58 recently and I feel they are dramatically more difficult than the tests before them. If 59 and 60 are the same, it could represent a new trend that would be likely to continue in this upcoming test.

So definitely take 57-60 and see how you feel about them.

Mad_Twatter

New

Post by Mad_Twatter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm

3|ink wrote:
No dude. It's one girl living on her own. She's my age (early 20's).
She was probably spliffed out of her skull. Did you smell it?

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm

So i've been consistently scoring in the mid to high 160's, and I'd be happy with a score like that on test day. But I'm worried that this test is gonna be way harder than the tests I've been taking in the 50's and I'm just gonna get a shit score.

Is anyone else feeling nervous that they're gonna get in there and the test is going to bang them in the ass and ruin their score?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

yabuddy wrote:So i've been consistently scoring in the mid to high 160's, and I'd be happy with a score like that on test day. But I'm worried that this test is gonna be way harder than the tests I've been taking in the 50's and I'm just gonna get a shit score.

Is anyone else feeling nervous that they're gonna get in there and the test is going to bang them in the ass and ruin their score?
After taking 57 and 58, I'm starting to get a little worried. I won't really know until 59 and 60. If I bomb #60 I'm inevitably going to go in to the October LSAT with considerably less confidence.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

yabuddy wrote:So i've been consistently scoring in the mid to high 160's, and I'd be happy with a score like that on test day. But I'm worried that this test is gonna be way harder than the tests I've been taking in the 50's and I'm just gonna get a shit score.

It's certainly possible, though I would caution you to avoid letting it become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Here is a list of things that you can not control:

Difficulty of October 9th's LSAT

Here is a list of things that you can control:

Your preparation, your ability to keep a clear and focused mind, &c.

almostthereee

New

Post by almostthereee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm

For those of you that use that LSAT Cacophony thing, do you guys put on headphones or something? I used that thing for the first time today and put it on my laptop right next to me and it was SUPER distracting. I'm sure there was the aspect of me not warming up as well but on the first LR of PT 51 I got -9... 9!!! T_T I figured it might have been overkill since I'm thinking there won't be a guy/girl writing and coughing RIGHT next to me into my ear on test day so I moved the laptop back and thankfully bounced back in my scores.. But boy was that a scary moment. I never sweated so much for a practice section lol

almostthereee

New

Post by almostthereee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

After taking 57 and 58, I'm starting to get a little worried. I won't really know until 59 and 60. If I bomb #60 I'm inevitably going to go in to the October LSAT with considerably less confidence.
Great... I'll be sure to keep my guard up for 57 - 60 then. Think I'm gonna finish 53 tomorrow and go on cambridge and get the pdfs for 57-60 and work on those before I touch 56 or 55... Sigh felt so good finishing 51's LG with like 8 minutes to spare too :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:34 pm

bartleby wrote:Don't stress about sleep and sleeping schedule unless you're getting no sleep at all the night before. (stress about s and ss -> no s at all)
I'm not stressing. I'm just trying to decide which is more advantageous.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

Don't convert your raw score to scaled on PT 60 so you don't go into it with a number fixated in your mind. Unless it's like ... 98 raw :) Either way, RELAX! You've got this, done deal if you perform how you've been for the past few weeks.

Tullstone

New

Post by Tullstone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Ive taken around 15-20 prep tests from numbers 19-59 and got scores all within a 2 point range on average, since I actually made progress in my scores. I think Ill take one more. After all, Ive been studying since Feb. Things probably wont change at this point. Ive been doing back to back timed sections randomly, but I think I have run out of material now. I dont think taking a bunch of tests at this point will really do any good. I'm satisfied with my scores and the last thing I need is some test to nuke my confidence on test day. Thoughts?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 pm

aesis wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

Don't convert your raw score to scaled on PT 60 so you don't go into it with a number fixated in your mind. Unless it's like ... 98 raw :) Either way, RELAX! You've got this, done deal if you perform how you've been for the past few weeks.
Thanks for the positive words. I'll just be glad to get this over with and be able to move on to a new objective.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”