October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
3|ink

Platinum

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by 3|ink » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm

eit wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Got a -1 on a LR section today, which was a great ego boost after my -5 yesterday. I feel like I can see the machinery of LR questions when I concentrate better.
I agree. I regressed today in LR but I think what I did was stupid, to say the least (didn't concentrate fully for one section, was very tired after work, got a -4 and preceded to do MORE sections instead of take a break, not concentrate very hard for half of them, follow it up with a couple more -4's)... I think I need to work on endurance and concentration and not rushing.

However, I do feel like I've had a major breakthrough in Reading Comprehension. It has become my favorite section, after a brief stint as my least favorite. A couple -1's and more -2's, am feeling good. Still hoping for a miraculous -0 somewhere. Thought I had it today, then realized I had one question wrong. That was sad.
I can relate to all of this. I think that I have temporary lapses in concentration every once in a while. I think it has something to do with testing with the clock in front of me. I keep looking at it. Whenever I do look at it, I think "18 minutes left. That's plenty" or "10 minutes left. Oh no!" This can be very distracting. From now in, I'm going to test with the clock turned the other way.

I'm using this program (linked below), so I don't have to worry about cutting myself off at the right time. This calls out '5 minutes' and 'pencils down'.

http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/ls ... satproctor

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Took Prep Test 19 today... 165

LG (-1)
LR (-6, -4)
RC (-8)

I used to consistently get a -3, -4 in RC. Guess I'll spend some time studying that for awhile... I'm still having trouble with timing in LR. I am usually in the -2, -3 range untimed.

HOV

New

Post by HOV » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:14 pm

3|ink wrote: I'm using this program (linked below), so I don't have to worry about cutting myself off at the right time. This calls out '5 minutes' and 'pencils down'.

thanks buddy, this will help out tons since i'm having the same problem. tomorrow i'm going to take a test and before i start i'll just remind myself to take the damn thing and let time run its course.

edit: also, i think it's time for me to stop checking the other answers when i have clearly stumbled onto the right one. sometimes it really is clear that a given answer is the answer indeed. hopefully i save some time that way since i almost always have to rush through the last 2-3.

judgekozinski

New

Post by judgekozinski » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:30 pm

**Status Update***

It has been since July 17th that I took a practice LSAT and posted on here with a 151. Today I scored a 157! This was PrepTest 55.

It is so great to see that the Princeton Review Hyperlearning class is making huge progress with me. I thought the games were a little easy on this practice test. I can't believe how quickly I blew through the arguments and still did better than I usually do. All I can say is, WOW. I'm so excited that I have 2 months left of studying and class. Reading Comp is KILLING me! I've been studying it though... I'm just so slow on the comp and will need to continue to practice it and speed up.

This is hope to all of you studiers out there, studying and classes do help! Of course you want to be studying properly (and a lot) to see some results.

ly2010

Bronze

Post by ly2010 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:17 pm

I am glad I found TLS today. Initially, I was really shocked at how early most of you guys started preparing. My two close friends both got 180s and I don't think they started studying until August for the September test. I've been enjoying my summer and really procrastinating. After reading this tread this afternoon, I finally took a diagnostic... and I didn't do too hot. I think I'm going to start studying now! *panic* :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dub

New

Post by dub » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 am

ly2010 wrote:I am glad I found TLS today. Initially, I was really shocked at how early most of you guys started preparing. My two close friends both got 180s and I don't think they started studying until August for the September test. I've been enjoying my summer and really procrastinating. After reading this tread this afternoon, I finally took a diagnostic... and I didn't do too hot. I think I'm going to start studying now! *panic* :shock:
Your friends are either gods or liars.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:48 am

Getting a 174 on Superprep A with -1 on LGs made me squee a little. I need to concentrate on LR now, since it's now my least consistent section.

Holy crap I would have gotten a 175 with -0 on the last section...had I not marked my sheet wrong. Awesome.

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:01 am

HOV wrote:
3|ink wrote: I'm using this program (linked below), so I don't have to worry about cutting myself off at the right time. This calls out '5 minutes' and 'pencils down'.

thanks buddy, this will help out tons since i'm having the same problem. tomorrow i'm going to take a test and before i start i'll just remind myself to take the damn thing and let time run its course.

edit: also, i think it's time for me to stop checking the other answers when i have clearly stumbled onto the right one. sometimes it really is clear that a given answer is the answer indeed. hopefully i save some time that way since i almost always have to rush through the last 2-3.

dude this fucking rocks, your awesome for putting up that link. This will be my proctor for the next few weeks as I take PT's Thanks!! :D

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:09 am

Dripworx wrote:
HOV wrote:

dude this fucking rocks, your awesome for putting up that link. This will be my proctor for the next few weeks as I take PT's Thanks!! :D
It's great, eh? I think everyone should have this link.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 am

3|ink wrote:
Dripworx wrote:
HOV wrote:

It's great, eh? I think everyone should have this link.

Yea I told my study buddy about this and he got so excited, he didnt want to buy the lsat proctor dvd's and neither did I considering I already spent a fuckton between ps bibles and all the preptests from 40 and up lol

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Still haven't started. Planned to take first PT (since the June test) today. I'm extremely hungover though... :( Hopefully it won't have too much effect! I'm gonna be one of those cool kids that makes an entire thread devoted to my (lack of ) study efforts and progression. I have a feeling I will be starting in the mid 150's range, even though my June score was a 163. Instead of classes and books and anything stilumating to keep my brain active the past few weeks, I've been slamming beers and waddling around the beach. Ughh ready...set...goooooo

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Barbie wrote:Still haven't started. Planned to take first PT (since the June test) today. I'm extremely hungover though... :( Hopefully it won't have too much effect! I'm gonna be one of those cool kids that makes an entire thread devoted to my (lack of ) study efforts and progression. I have a feeling I will be starting in the mid 150's range, even though my June score was a 163. Instead of classes and books and anything stilumating to keep my brain active the past few weeks, I've been slamming beers and waddling around the beach. Ughh ready...set...goooooo
Haha! Barbie, youre funny.

Why dont you just take today off?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:27 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Still haven't started. Planned to take first PT (since the June test) today. I'm extremely hungover though... :( Hopefully it won't have too much effect! I'm gonna be one of those cool kids that makes an entire thread devoted to my (lack of ) study efforts and progression. I have a feeling I will be starting in the mid 150's range, even though my June score was a 163. Instead of classes and books and anything stilumating to keep my brain active the past few weeks, I've been slamming beers and waddling around the beach. Ughh ready...set...goooooo
Haha! Barbie, youre funny.

Why dont you just take today off?
I've taken every day off between June and now... haha. School start soon (and I leave tom for Orlando, then for Jax beach, etc)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbhesser

New

Post by rbhesser » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Took my first "diagnostic" test since actually taking the LSAT last September. I used SuperPrep A to save some of my newer tests for closer to the test. Does anyone else find the SuperPrep tests to be easier than normal? I got a 171, which is great, but I don't feel like I deserved that high of a score. Especially since all I've done is some very minor studying for the past 3 days after doing nothing for almost a year. I'm not sure if I can count this as a true score or not. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:34 pm

rbhesser wrote:Took my first "diagnostic" test since actually taking the LSAT last September. I used SuperPrep A to save some of my newer tests for closer to the test. Does anyone else find the SuperPrep tests to be easier than normal? I got a 171, which is great, but I don't feel like I deserved that high of a score. Especially since all I've done is some very minor studying for the past 3 days after doing nothing for almost a year. I'm not sure if I can count this as a true score or not. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think all the Prep Test scores do is establish the score range that you're capable of minus actual test day influences. I don't think there's a point in "doubting" your score - the tests are scaled to try to make them equal in difficulty. Perhaps this test featured the kind of games you like, and a higher proportion of the kinds of questions you like in the other sections, and that's why it seems easier to you - but someone with different strengths might not have found it so easy.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Last night I couldn't sleep because I kept having a nightmare where I was in my bed sleeping and LSAT questions were crawling all over me.

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:55 pm

So, after reading another thread I am a little concerned... I got a 165 yesterday on Prep Test 19 and a 165 again today on Prep Test 20. I know the RC has changed, and supposedly the LR is now worded trickier?

Do you guys think I'm still getting a fair assessment of where I stand? I don't want to use my newer prep tests until closer to Oct. 9th. But, I also don't want an inflated score...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:01 pm

lparker wrote:So, after reading another thread I am a little concerned... I got a 165 yesterday on Prep Test 19 and a 165 again today on Prep Test 20. I know the RC has changed, and supposedly the LR is now worded trickier?

Do you guys think I'm still getting a fair assessment of where I stand? I don't want to use my newer prep tests until closer to Oct. 9th. But, I also don't want an inflated score...
Although there are tangible differences between modern tests and older ones (RC difficulty up, LG more straightforward, and tighter curves), the scores you get on earlier PTs are still good indicators. If you're really worried, do a few of the more recent tests (maybe 2-3?) early so that you don't get freaked out when you tackle them closer to the test date.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Just took Prep Test 50 this morning, with an experimental section of extra LG

Scored a 153. I would have done much better, but by section 5, i was totally out of it ( answered all questions with 10 minutes to spare- and as a consequence, missed 11 questions

Section 1- RC-12 ( 7 of those were from a passage i didnt get to) Happy with how I did on the passages I attempted
Section 2 LG ( experimental) -6
Section 3 LR -7
Section 4 LG -6 ( 3 were letter of the day)
Section 5 LR-11

Will I be able to obain more endurance by doing more prep tests? Do you think its possible to score a 160 by October? HOw should I study for LR? My current method of drilling question types doesnt seem to be paying off, how should I modify my prep?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 pm

northwood wrote:Just took Prep Test 50 this morning, with an experimental section of extra LG

Scored a 153. I would have done much better, but by section 5, i was totally out of it ( answered all questions with 10 minutes to spare- and as a consequence, missed 11 questions

Section 1- RC-12 ( 7 of those were from a passage i didnt get to) Happy with how I did on the passages I attempted
Section 2 LG ( experimental) -6
Section 3 LR -7
Section 4 LG -6 ( 3 were letter of the day)
Section 5 LR-11

Will I be able to obain more endurance by doing more prep tests? Do you think its possible to score a 160 by October? HOw should I study for LR? My current method of drilling question types doesnt seem to be paying off, how should I modify my prep?

Are you burnt out? I'm not the best to recommend anything because I haven't even started studying this round, but in the 2 times I've taken the LSAT, I did 9 points higher the second time JUST because I didn't really study before. I was calm, collected, and had a fresh mind. I know thi sisn't good advice, but maybe you are just stressing yourself out by "drilling"... which is totally fine for this far away from the test. Just don't worry :)

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:03 pm

im not bunt out, but just not happy with how my lr studying is going. Im more concrned with endurance and pacing right now.

Also, i took this thing tired. ( woke up, walked the dog, ate breakfast- no coffee, then took the test)
When i was done, i went back to bed. HA!- do you think that had any influence on how i did ( I guess you can say im trying to prepare for being tired, by taking the test when im not absolutely 100%, and having a barking dog can really be distracting)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Day2Daze

New

Post by Day2Daze » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Ive hit a major RC wall. No improvement for awhile and its still my worst section. If I read any more Economists I might puke. I started using some MCAT RC passages for practice but its hard with those then to tell what the score would convert to LSAT...and Im still getting questions wrong.

Any advice?? Anyone have RC figured out and wanna give some pointers? RC is what is stopping me from crossing 171 atm.

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:17 pm

yzero1 wrote:
lparker wrote:So, after reading another thread I am a little concerned... I got a 165 yesterday on Prep Test 19 and a 165 again today on Prep Test 20. I know the RC has changed, and supposedly the LR is now worded trickier?

Although there are tangible differences between modern tests and older ones (RC difficulty up, LG more straightforward, and tighter curves), the scores you get on earlier PTs are still good indicators. If you're really worried, do a few of the more recent tests (maybe 2-3?) early so that you don't get freaked out when you tackle them closer to the test date.
That's perfect advice! And I'll definitely do that...

Northwood: Maybe concentrate on doing sections for a little while so you're conditioned to the continual question type switching? If you're just drilling question types and you're used to weaken questions, then maybe it's the differentiation when you go to take a prep test that's throwing you off. That's just a suggestion.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Day2Daze wrote:Ive hit a major RC wall. No improvement for awhile and its still my worst section. If I read any more Economists I might puke. I started using some MCAT RC passages for practice but its hard with those then to tell what the score would convert to LSAT...and Im still getting questions wrong.

Any advice?? Anyone have RC figured out and wanna give some pointers? RC is what is stopping me from crossing 171 atm.
RC is my nemesis, also. I've started to see some improvement by reading actively - circling different voices, underlining transitional words, etc. Moreso, I'm forcing myself to be interested - treating every passage as a fascinating novel rather than the dull drivel it tends to be. On those passages that are especially difficult, I force myself to give each paragraph its own title. If I can't give it a title, then I missed something. Rather than trying to digest all 500 words, this helps me to break it down into manageable portions.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:30 pm

RC is the thorn in my side. I have been able to score better by forcing myself to be interested in the passage and underlining key phrases, language shifts, and taking notes on the side. HOwever, doing this has given me enough time to do 3 passages, but I am scoring better on the ones I attempt.

Do the passges in the RC section of the lsat. Force yourself to slow down, and you should notice a difference

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”