Pure Sequencing problem (PT 48, Section 2, Game 2)

honestabe84

Pure Sequencing problem (PT 48, Section 2, Game 2)

Postby honestabe84 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 pm

For some reason I'm not getting this one. Pure sequencing games have always come very easy to me, but this one I'm having trouble with.

Does anyone have an efficient way of setting this game up? I usually don't use "not laws" for these types of games and instead just use a bunch symbols (>, <, dotted lines, and circles) the way powerscore suggests. Basically, what I'm wondering is whether or not it is necessary to to use not laws in this game.

skip james

Re: Pure Sequencing problem (PT 48, Section 2, Game 2)

Postby skip james » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Use a tree diagram. They're way better than powerscore's method. You could learn it for free here:

http://www.atlaslsat.com/download/lg_book_excerpt.pdf

I do, however, disagree on a minor point, which is that atlas does tree diagram horizontally sometimes, but I always do my tree diagrams vertically. They just appear more intuitive to me that way.

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Really? I strictly do it horizontally (it aligns with the setup that way?) -- why the preference for a vertical setup...?

skip james wrote:Use a tree diagram. They're way better than powerscore's method. You could learn it for free here:

I do, however, disagree on a minor point, which is that atlas does tree diagram horizontally sometimes, but I always do my tree diagrams vertically. They just appear more intuitive to me that way.

skip james

Postby skip james » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:02 pm

yoni45 wrote:Really? I strictly do it horizontally (it aligns with the setup that way?) -- why the preference for a vertical setup...?

I think it came down to a single practical aspect of doing it vertically. I will always have room to do a hypothetical in the margin next to a question without the hypothetical running into the question itself or the answer choices.

And there's something to the intuitive aspect of it, I think, since the brain tends to organize hierarchy by height. Like, in the Olympics, first place is a step higher than second and so forth. It always made more sense to me to diagram a relationship like 'faster' or 'slower' or 'better' or 'sooner' in terms of a vertical relationship.

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Hmm, well, it seems like we use differing setup methods as well, so the horizontal approach wouldn't necessarily be as conducive to yours as it would to mine...

(I would also argue that things that certain ordered things, like days of the week, are generally put up left to right... =D)

skip james wrote:I think it came down to a single practical aspect of doing it vertically. I will always have room to do a hypothetical in the margin next to a question without the hypothetical running into the question itself or the answer choices.

And there's something to the intuitive aspect of it, I think, since the brain tends to organize hierarchy by height. Like, in the Olympics, first place is a step higher than second and so forth. It always made more sense to me to diagram a relationship like 'faster' or 'slower' or 'better' or 'sooner' in terms of a vertical relationship.

skip james

Postby skip james » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm

yoni45 wrote:Hmm, well, it seems like we use differing setup methods as well, so the horizontal approach wouldn't necessarily be as conducive to yours as it would to mine...

(I would also argue that things that certain ordered things, like days of the week, are generally put up left to right... =D)

skip james wrote:I think it came down to a single practical aspect of doing it vertically. I will always have room to do a hypothetical in the margin next to a question without the hypothetical running into the question itself or the answer choices.

that's true...

but since we're using a tree, might I point out that trees grow upwards. =)

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 pm

skip james wrote:that's true...

but since we're using a tree, might I point out that trees grow upwards. =)

Fortunately, I refer to it as an elastic band... =P

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm

After experimenting with the tree diagram, I think I still prefer Powerscore's method.

I still don't know, however, how to set this game up. I was beginning to think this is actually a basic-linear game, but Powerscore classifies it as pure sequencing. Can any help me efficiently link the inferences?

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:24 pm

It's considered pure sequencing because the rules relate the variables only to each other, and not to any particular positions. Many games of this type involve placing the variables into linear slots once you get to the questions, so there's typically always an element of linearity.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Cambridge LSAT wrote:It's considered pure sequencing because the rules relate the variables only to each other, and not to any particular positions. Many games of this type involve placing the variables into linear slots once you get to the questions, so there's typically always an element of linearity.

Thanks!

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 am

skip james wrote:Use a tree diagram. They're way better than powerscore's method. You could learn it for free here:

I know this post is old news, but THANK YOU. I've been using Powerscore and this question repeatedly kicked my ass both in practice and when I used the LG section from PT48 as the experimental on a full run of a later PT. I just tried it again with the Atlas method and aced it in under 5 minutes.

skip james

Postby skip james » Wed May 12, 2010 11:07 am

shoop wrote:

I know this post is old news, but THANK YOU. I've been using Powerscore and this question repeatedly kicked my ass both in practice and when I used the LG section from PT48 as the experimental on a full run of a later PT. I just tried it again with the Atlas method and aced it in under 5 minutes.

no problem. if you want to really challenge your pure sequencing skills, i think there's a tricky pure sequencing game from the superprep series. the conditional rules challenges your ability to understand the full implications of the rules, so be wary. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”