No 176?

MSachmorov

No 176?

Postby MSachmorov » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 am

Hello,
I got this conversion chart from TestMasters for converting your raw score to the 120-180 LSAT scaled score and I have a question. On the sheet it has the highest and the lowest numbers you can score correctly to get a certain scaled score on the LSAT, but for a score of 176 it doesn't have anything, just a note saying: "There is no raw score that will produce this scaled score for this form." (By the way, all the sheet says for "form" is LSAT form 5LSN65 so I am not sure if this is for a particular test or not). Anyway, the chart jumps right from getting 95 questions correct and scoring a 175 to getting 96 questions correct and scoring a 177.

My question is, how did anybody score a 176 then? Or was this score not issued at all in this case? In cases like this, is a certain score not issued at all? How is this justified?

I don't know anything about this and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity! Thank you and I appreciate the comments/answers in advance!

fiftyonefifty

Re: No 176?

Postby fiftyonefifty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 am

I'll answer one of your questions. If someone said they scored a 176 on this exam, they are lying.

QueueToo

Postby QueueToo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am

As I understand how the LSAT is scored they look at how people performed on the exam and know they want the percentile breakdown to remain constant from administration to administration. Knowing that fact the only way to get the breakdown they were looking for, given the way people did on that test, is to skip giving out a 176 on that test.

As I recall something similar happened on mine but I don't remember which question was skipped.

MSachmorov

Postby MSachmorov » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 am

fiftyonefifty wrote:I'll answer one of your questions. If someone said they scored a 176 on this exam, they are lying.

Ha ha ha clever, thanks but it doesn't satisfy my curiosity :cry:

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:47 am

MSachmorov wrote:Hello,
I got this conversion chart from TestMasters for converting your raw score to the 120-180 LSAT scaled score and I have a question. On the sheet it has the highest and the lowest numbers you can score correctly to get a certain scaled score on the LSAT, but for a score of 176 it doesn't have anything, just a note saying: "There is no raw score that will produce this scaled score for this form." (By the way, all the sheet says for "form" is LSAT form 5LSN65 so I am not sure if this is for a particular test or not). Anyway, the chart jumps right from getting 95 questions correct and scoring a 175 to getting 96 questions correct and scoring a 177.

My question is, how did anybody score a 176 then? Or was this score not issued at all in this case? In cases like this, is a certain score not issued at all? How is this justified?

I don't know anything about this and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity! Thank you and I appreciate the comments/answers in advance!

Each different LSAT has a different raw score conversion. In most exams 176 is possible.

MSachmorov

Postby MSachmorov » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Each different LSAT has a different raw score conversion. In most exams 176 is possible.

But then isn't another score left out??

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am

MSachmorov wrote:My question is, how did anybody score a 176 then? Or was this score not issued at all in this case? In cases like this, is a certain score not issued at all? How is this justified?

Nobody receives a 176 on this test. It's a byproduct of converting from a linear raw score system to one that is designed to place people on a bell curve. Those that received the raw score to get just below that are found to deserve a 175 or less, and those who have the raw score necessary to be at or above it get a 177+. Just due to the way the bell curve is developed for this particular test, there's no raw score that would fall on 176.

This is only valid for this particular test. People can earn a 176 on other tests because those tests apply a different curve.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 am

MSachmorov wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

But then isn't another score left out??

Some times yes, sometimes no. Depending on how hard a test is 170 has been -14 or as little as -8.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:27 am

QueueToo wrote:As I understand how the LSAT is scored they look at how people performed on the exam and know they want the percentile breakdown to remain constant from administration to administration.

Well, you started off dead wrong.

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 am

I believe certain percentile ranks correspond to certain scaled scores. Perhaps the reason that there is no scaled score for 176 on that particular administration is that no single individual fell into a percentile rank that corresponded to that scaled score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”