3.8. G.P.A. and 138 on the LSAT can I get into law school? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Which parts of the LSAT scare you the most?

Generally, the games section is the most learnable of the sections - that means it's the most easily improved, and spending time with games will yield excellent results. Unfortunately it's the shortest section on the test in terms of the number of questions that are contained in it, which means that you can't just spend all your time learning how to do games, or you'll do well on games, and the overall score will still suffer.

Logical Reasoning makes up half the test, so I would say that is where to start.

Do you have an elective available in your schedule this fall? If so, I would definitely suggest taking a formal logic course - that way your study for the class will double as study time for the LSAT.

Even if you cannot take such a class, spending a little time with the first couple chapters of an intro to logic text book will give you some basics that will help you think logically as you approach an LR section.

Get the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible and the Powerscore Logic Games Bible (they have a reading comp one coming out this fall, but I know nothing about it). Work through them throughout the semester if you ned to, but if you can get through one of them and start to internalize the methods in these next two weeks before class starts, so much the better.

After that, start practicing the test for real - not on computer: on answer sheets, under timed conditions. Get one of the 10 test collections form the LSAC (10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests, etc.) and do the tests regularly.

Start doing a one or two untimed, just to get more comfortable. From then on, time everything as realistically as you can. Try to do at one (timed test) a week at first - by Halloween get up to two per week. Wake up on weekend mornings early if there isn't time on the weekdays. Spend time going over your mistakes. Post questions here if you cannot figure out why you got them wrong - people will offer explanations. If, after you figure out how to solve questions games, etc, you are still having timing issues, again, people here will have a lot of advice on that. You'll either improve on time, or learn to develop good guessing strategies for the questions you don't finish.

By the end of your Thanksgiving weekend, if you aren't showing improvement, then 1) I will be shocked, and 2)don't take the test in December. Put it off until you can devote your energy to it full time.

If this helps motivate, think of it this way:

The LSAT is worth more than your entire GPA in terms of the law school admissions process. That means that is is worth more than any particular final exam you have this semester in terms of your ambitions to get into law school and to attend in Fall '08. Treat your preparation for it accordingly.

cosmopolitician

New

relating to you

Post by cosmopolitician » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:05 pm

this was the first forum that sparked my interest. i am a junior in college and taking the june 2008 lsat. well, i can definitely relate to your feelings and anxiety about your situation BUT i have to agree with most people here that you obviously did not take the LSAT preparation seriously. i have been studying here and there for 2 months now until june of next year because i am NOT a good standardized test taker at all!! in fact, your circumstances regarding academic excellence and honor recognitions, not to mention your very high GPA, is what i have going for me that can most likely save me from a "mediocre" LSAT score (if that is to happen to me). BUT i've done my research about the LSAT and admission process and, despite our high gpa (even if we were to have a perfect 4.0), the LSAT score is the MOST IMPORTANT factor and will determine whether you will get accepted to law school. and not to burst both of our bubbles, but that score is NOT good enough. the lowest LSAT score is a 120 without even bubbling anything..and your score is not too far from there. you don't have to take a year off in anything...heck, i'm not! i am a double major, work part time, and managing to study for the LSAT. if you REALLY want to go to law school and it is your passion, you will find time to study for it. there is always a way. good luck on the re-take. it doesn't hurt.

lawforme

New

Bribery

Post by lawforme » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:57 pm

I know this works for college--but is it true that, if you offer a school a donation they are more likely to accept you? Do people really do that? Include a letter with their applcaition and sign it or something?

Also, I took the test twice and didn't do as well as I should. I got tested for ADD, and they concluded I should have gotten more time...but now I'm concerned--taking it three times don't look good for law schools, right? Would it be better to apply now with a letter from the Dr saying that I should have received accomodation, or, take it for the third time (keep in mind, they may think it was irresopnsible of me not to get tested the first time around). Also keep in mind that I have an "Absence" on my record as well since I did not show up to an LSAT test...(shoudl I explain that, too in my application?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”