A very difficult LR question

XJ25

A very difficult LR question

Postby XJ25 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Scientist: Some critics of public funding for this research project have maintained that only if it can be indicated how the public will benefit from the project is continued public funding for it justified. If the critics were right about this, then there would not be the tremendous public support for the project that even its critics acknowledge.

If the scientist’s claims are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) The benefits derived from the research project are irrelevant to whether or not its funding is justified.
(B) Continued public funding for the research project is justified.
(C) Public support for the research project is the surest indication of whether or not it is justified.
(D) There is tremendous public support for the research project because it can be indicated how the public will benefit from the project.
(E) That a public benefit can be indicated is not a requirement for the justification of the research project’s continued public funding.

I actually think this is the hardest LR question and shall post the correct answer later.

Gatorade

Postby Gatorade » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm

can i buy an "E"?

but it sounds too much like a sucker choice, the question would not be 'hardest' if it were E......

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm

E?

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:52 pm

It simply isn't a requirement for the justification.

Must be true.. Can't be false.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:53 pm

There's continued public funding.. No indication.. Not a sucker choice

I might be downright wrong, but I'd hardly classify this as hard LR compared to a few in recent yrs

Gatorade

Postby Gatorade » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:01 pm

i am trying to prove to myself why D is wrong. E jumped out to me.
why did you eliminate D?

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:02 pm

E isn't wrong

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:02 pm

Because this is a MUST BE TRUE

Maybe there's tremendous public support because they offered to give everyone a picture of TheMongoose nude??

There could be 10000 reasons

Justin71

Postby Justin71 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 pm

"If the critics were right about this, then there would not be the tremendous public support for the project that even its critics acknowledge. "

This means that the critics were wrong. Which means that "only if it can be indicated how the public will benefit from the project is continued public funding for it justified." is wrong. Answer E is a paraphrase of that fact.

XJ25

Postby XJ25 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Yeah, E is the answer.

What puzzles me is not how to reach this answer, but to see the idea in writing this argument. Other than refuting the “only if” relation, the argument is so meaningless and unrealistic, i.e., while critics noted the support for a project, they subsequently claim that justifying the project requires public support for it. Don’t you think they should be called supporters instead of critics?

Gatorade

Postby Gatorade » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:03 pm

well, D appear to me to be irrelevant, "public support" and "public benefit" could well be has nothing to do with each other, and that's why I feel scientist's arguement is a weak one, but since it is a "must be true" question, I guess that doesn't matter.

Justin71

Postby Justin71 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:05 pm

while critics noted the support for a project, they subsequently claim that justifying the project requires public support for it.

No they don't. Read closely.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:20 am

the last sentence is saying that "IF the previous sentence is true," then we wouldn't have such support, but we, in fact, do have support, which means that the previous sentence is full of shit (a.k.a. answer choice E)."

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 am

can we even diagram this? i actually tried, but failed... i suck at conditional statements... and consequently life.

Denny Crane

Postby Denny Crane » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:03 am

Last edited by Denny Crane on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:17 am

Guys.. This isn't that hard.. No diagram.. No nonsense..

It's a MUST BE TRUE..

Look at the stim.. Look at the answer choices and pick out the fact

stargazin

Re: A very difficult LR question

Postby stargazin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm really glad I found found this website recently, because I don't get this question at all and was wondering if anyone could help me understand why the answer for this question couldn't also be B?

If answer E must be true, then answer B must be true too, in my mind. Because the only way that E could be true is if it's proven that continued public funding of a project is justified without its public benefit necessarily being indicated. So therefore this project is justified.

ie. If the project is not justified (answer B is false), then how can you prove that something is not a requirement for justification (answer E)?

Am I just totally off base?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:53 pm

You're not allowed to blatantly post LSAT questions like this. You should edit your post ASAP.

It's E.

/Thread

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm

stargazin wrote:I'm really glad I found found this website recently, because I don't get this question at all and was wondering if anyone could help me understand why the answer for this question couldn't also be B?

If answer E must be true, then answer B must be true too, in my mind. Because the only way that E could be true is if it's proven that continued public funding of a project is justified without its public benefit necessarily being indicated. So therefore this project is justified.

ie. If the project is not justified (answer B is false), then how can you prove that something is not a requirement for justification (answer E)?

Am I just totally off base?

The stimulus is very tricky. It's implying that despite public support, there isn't continued funding support. This matches perfectly with E.

B is incorrect because it says "some scientists think" - that certainly doesn't mean it has to be true, their beliefs were never proven in the stimulus.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Thank you very much! That makes sense now. Wow. I don't think I would ever be able to get something like that on the actual test, but good to know nonetheless! 3 ink, I didn't post the question, I just saw it and had a question about the question, but if there's something I need to edit out from my own post, I'm happy to do that.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Code: Select all

(J --> BI) --> ~PS
PS
Last edited by bigben on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm

stargazin wrote:Thank you very much! That makes sense now. Wow. I don't think I would ever be able to get something like that on the actual test, but good to know nonetheless! 3 ink, I didn't post the question, I just saw it and had a question about the question, but if there's something I need to edit out from my own post, I'm happy to do that.

I was talking to OP. The original post includes an LSAT question. The LSAT hires people to inspect these forums and look for copyright infringement.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 pm

OP is 3 years old. hth.

tkim116

Postby tkim116 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Hey, this is my first time posting on TLS, but here is the answer explained in a nut shell:

the answer must be E. The critic's claim is that PFJ --> IHPB, or pubic funding is justified only if it can be indicated how the public will benefit. But because the premises supplied by the author tell us that this is not true, we have to find a choice that effectively nullifies or refutes the critic's conclusion.

In order to refute a conclusion, you have to show that a sufficient condition can occur without a necessary condition occuring. So for our example, we have to show that PFJ can occur without IHPB occuring.

Therefore, answer choice E, which pretty much summarizes the information above (^), must be true and therefore is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”