Reviewing Mistakes

CarolinaVol
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Reviewing Mistakes

Postby CarolinaVol » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 am

I've looked on the site and wanted to see exactly what everyone does to review their mistakes on the practice LSATs, especially the LR sections.

Can you help me in regards to the method I should be using in reviewing my mistakes? Currently, I'm essentially writing out the stimulus in my own words, the conclusion in my own words. Then the correct answer choices versus my answer choice. Is this the best approach? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Whatever it is that you're doing, make sure that you understand:

* Why any wrong answer that tempted you is wrong
* Why the right answer is right
* What you did wrong
* How not to make a similar mistake again

Make sure that you do this on:

* Questions you got wrong
* Questions you spent too much time on
* Questions you got right but felt very uncertain about

So to take an extraordinarily simple example, let's say you were doing an Inference question that said, "Most people like Picasso." You choose an answer that said, "All people like Picasso." The right answer was, "Some people like Picasso." The problem with the answer that you chose is that it's too strong for what the argument says: "Most" does not imply "All." However, the right answer is right because "Most" does imply "Some." So what you did wrong was that you mixed up language strength. What to do differently the next time you do an Inference question is to shy away from extreme answers (with "All" in them) unless the argument uses an extreme word (such as "All" or "None") — so be looking for such words.

This can be relatively simple (as above), but it can be quite complicated, too.

swflgirl
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby swflgirl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Ok, but sometimes I don't understand why they were right and I was wrong and there aren't any explanations anywhere so do you have to go back like to that type of question and review again? I am frustrated by inability to see in some cases why I am wrong and they are right even after writing out the stem and the choices. Ugh.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:51 pm

I read the question, look at the correct answer, shake my head, and think either:
A) That was dumb.
or
B) It's too bad I didn't have time to finish that game.

The end.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby skip james » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:30 pm

redsox wrote:I read the question, look at the correct answer, shake my head, and think either:
A) That was dumb.
or
B) It's too bad I didn't have time to finish that game.

The end.


No offense, but that's exactly what you shouldn't do. Every time I got a problem wrong, I would ask myself what I was thinking. And not in the sense that I was shaking my head at myself, but quite literally, what the thought process was that was going on in my head that caused to answer a question incorrectly, to be confused, or to answer too slowly. You have to isolate the thing that you were doing improperly or inefficiently in order to fix that mistake.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 pm

skip james wrote:
redsox wrote:I read the question, look at the correct answer, shake my head, and think either:
A) That was dumb.
or
B) It's too bad I didn't have time to finish that game.

The end.


No offense, but that's exactly what you shouldn't do. Every time I got a problem wrong, I would ask myself what I was thinking. And not in the sense that I was shaking my head at myself, but quite literally, what the thought process was that was going on in my head that caused to answer a question incorrectly, to be confused, or to answer too slowly. You have to isolate the thing that you were doing improperly or inefficiently in order to fix that mistake.


I prefer my method, but then again, my PT avg. is about 2 points lower than my diagnostic...

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby skip james » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm

redsox wrote:
skip james wrote:
redsox wrote:I read the question, look at the correct answer, shake my head, and think either:
A) That was dumb.
or
B) It's too bad I didn't have time to finish that game.

The end.


No offense, but that's exactly what you shouldn't do. Every time I got a problem wrong, I would ask myself what I was thinking. And not in the sense that I was shaking my head at myself, but quite literally, what the thought process was that was going on in my head that caused to answer a question incorrectly, to be confused, or to answer too slowly. You have to isolate the thing that you were doing improperly or inefficiently in order to fix that mistake.


I prefer my method, but then again, my PT avg. is about 2 points lower than my diagnostic...


haha, you remind me of one of my students. you can't teach someone who refuses to learn.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

skip james wrote:haha, you remind me of one of my students. you can't teach someone who refuses to learn.


Well, I don't really intend to "study" for the LSAT. My plan is to "practice."

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 pm

swflgirl wrote:Ok, but sometimes I don't understand why they were right and I was wrong and there aren't any explanations anywhere so do you have to go back like to that type of question and review again? I am frustrated by inability to see in some cases why I am wrong and they are right even after writing out the stem and the choices. Ugh.

Then you post here and request assistance. :)

pattymac
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby pattymac » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 pm

OP, I circle words that make answers wrong. Like in a flaw question, if one answer says "assumes ...", and theres no assumption, I'd circle assumes. Kind of helps eliminate wrong answers. Just do a section everyday and review each and every question and answer. Some of them are a royal pain in the ass so be careful not to get too frustrated.

Most of my mistakes have been retarded ones. Hoping thats what gets me out of the 150's and into the 160's.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby skip james » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 pm

redsox wrote:
skip james wrote:haha, you remind me of one of my students. you can't teach someone who refuses to learn.


Well, I don't really intend to "study" for the LSAT. My plan is to "practice."


haha, you sound like a guy i might actually want to go to law school with.

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Reviewing Mistakes

Postby jpSartre » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 am

redsox wrote:I read the question, look at the correct answer, shake my head, and think either:
A) That was dumb.
or
B) It's too bad I didn't have time to finish that game.

The end.


Yup. I don't think I make "I dont understand mistakes" anymore. I make "I'm an idiot" mistakes.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 12 guests