Random questions for people who have taken the LSAT

hellojd

Random questions for people who have taken the LSAT

Postby hellojd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:05 pm

So I know these are super-nitpicky, but I'm sure all of us new LSAT takers want to minimize as many surprises as possible come June (or Oct for some). Here's a few random questions I had, although I'm sure some of the answers vary from test center to test center.

1) How big are the desks typically? Are they big enough that you can place your bubble sheet to the side, or do you have to juggle it on top of the test booklet?

2) Exactly how much time are between the non-break sections? Is it literally only enough time to stop and turn the page, 30 seconds, up to a minute, etc?

3) How much after you get to the test center at the "reported time" did you actually take the test?

4) What else surprised you at the test center? Too much / too little noise, cramped test area, etc.

Sorry if these have been repeated, but I couldn't find the answers on an initial search.

Thanks as always. Perhaps people can add more questions.

yoni45

Re: Random questions for people who have taken the LSAT

Postby yoni45 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:38 pm

hellojd wrote:1) How big are the desks typically? Are they big enough that you can place your bubble sheet to the side, or do you have to juggle it on top of the test booklet?

Varies by test center -- might want to check it out beforehand.

hellojd wrote:2) Exactly how much time are between the non-break sections? Is it literally only enough time to stop and turn the page, 30 seconds, up to a minute, etc?

Generally as long as it takes to read them a short block of instructions -- under 30sec. I'd say.

hellojd wrote:3) How much after you get to the test center at the "reported time" did you actually take the test?

Varies as well -- small test centers might start right on time, while large test centers might not even start by 10.

AllBusiness

Postby AllBusiness » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

hellojd wrote:So I know these are super-nitpicky, but I'm sure all of us new LSAT takers want to minimize as many surprises as possible come June (or Oct for some). Here's a few random questions I had, although I'm sure some of the answers vary from test center to test center.

1) How big are the desks typically? Are they big enough that you can place your bubble sheet to the side, or do you have to juggle it on top of the test booklet?

2) Exactly how much time are between the non-break sections? Is it literally only enough time to stop and turn the page, 30 seconds, up to a minute, etc?

3) How much after you get to the test center at the "reported time" did you actually take the test?

4) What else surprised you at the test center? Too much / too little noise, cramped test area, etc.

Sorry if these have been repeated, but I couldn't find the answers on an initial search.

1. I took the LSAT at Pitt, and all the examinees sat at a long, continuous table spanning almost the entire width of the room. We sat a seat apart and had plenty of room.

2. There was about a minute between the non-break sections.

3. We were told to report at the test center at something like 8:30 AM, I think. Whatever time we were to report, we began the LSAT about forty-five minutes after that time.

4. Not much surprised me at the test center. Some kid was called out for continuing working after time was called. The proctor then began the next section and after that, walked up to this kid to write him up. She interrupted him during the next section to write him up! It must have sucked hard for him.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Honestly, you are going to do bad if you are worried about all these little things. Go in there and take the damn test. Who cares if your desk is 10 x4 or a little high school desk. Everything varies.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

As for testing conditions, I've read about all sorts of stories, ranging from people taking the test outdoors, to taking it on a felt table (and so kept breaking through the bubble sheet). Some stories sound pretty darn improbable. Still though, it makes sense to look into it, because many people are within easy distance of more than one center. There are some test-site-reviews out there, so look into it, and ask people on TLS too.

France121069

Postby France121069 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

hellojd wrote:So I know these are super-nitpicky, but I'm sure all of us new LSAT takers want to minimize as many surprises as possible come June (or Oct for some). Here's a few random questions I had, although I'm sure some of the answers vary from test center to test center.

I took the test 2 times. The first time at a standard high school desk (lets say 24" x 18") the second time in one of those desk/seat combos where the tiny writing surface is attached to the seat. Be prepared for anything (and take practice tests in a variety of environments)

Again, first time I took it, there was time to breathe for a moment; second time I took it the sections were no more than 15 seconds apart.

Both times were basically the same: arrived at 8am, they opened the doors at 8:20; lined-up to check-in; once in the classroom was there about 30 minutes until the test actually started.

One room was hot; the other cold. In one center, the proctor ate a sandwich while we took the test. In the other, people were talking in the hall. Again, take many practice tests in many environments and many times of the day and you will get a good feel for what to expect.

BEST OF LUCK!

quasi-stellar

Postby quasi-stellar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm

charlesjd wrote:Honestly, you are going to do bad if you are worried about all these little things. Go in there and take the damn test. Who cares if your desk is 10 x4 or a little high school desk. Everything varies.

I wouldnt entirely discredit the nature of these questions, although I do think it would be rather helpful to visit the potential test center to make sure it meets ones expectations.
I did just that several days ago - went to the site and i asked for a tour to see the typical lecture halls and typical classrooms (desk space was my biggest concern also).

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm

charlesjd wrote:Honestly, you are going to do bad if you are worried about all these little things. Go in there and take the damn test. Who cares if your desk is 10 x4 or a little high school desk. Everything varies.

:roll:

Thanks everyone else for the helpful responses. I think I will go visit the test center prior to the day of, just to get a feel for it...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”