Is this common? Similar stories?

GoBroncos22!

Is this common? Similar stories?

Postby GoBroncos22! » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 pm

After I took the december 09' test I didnt touch ANY lsat material till 2 days ago and have just been reviewing the LRB and LGB., gettin ready for the June test. Tonight, I did some practice sections from PT 56 (a test I never took before december) untimed but I didnt go more than 4-5 minutes over on either sections. I was TOTALLY shocked at how comfortable I felt and how it came back in such clarity. I was scoring higher than I ever did before. After the 4 sections my score was a 164-A full 5 points higher than my highest PT before I took december. I honestly cannot explain what happened, the games were just clickin along, I was getting the setups right and the LR was more manageable. Perhaps this is sheer coincidence or I just got an easy test, I dont know. Im sure from here on out my score will drop dramatically. Has anyone had similar experiences? I am baffled.

TTTennis

Re: Is this common? Similar stories?

Postby TTTennis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 am

You did it un-timed, why is this shocking?

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:51 am

GoBroncos22! wrote:After I took the december 09' test I didnt touch ANY lsat material till 2 days ago and have just been reviewing the LRB and LGB., gettin ready for the June test. Tonight, I did some practice sections from PT 56 (a test I never took before december) untimed but I didnt go more than 4-5 minutes over on either sections. I was TOTALLY shocked at how comfortable I felt and how it came back in such clarity. I was scoring higher than I ever did before. After the 4 sections my score was a 164-A full 5 points higher than my highest PT before I took december. I honestly cannot explain what happened, the games were just clickin along, I was getting the setups right and the LR was more manageable. Perhaps this is sheer coincidence or I just got an easy test, I dont know. Im sure from here on out my score will drop dramatically. Has anyone had similar experiences? I am baffled.

Which is why over-prep is over-rated

Build...let it sink...build...let it sink. That's just how the brain likes to work.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

TTTennis wrote:You did it un-timed, why is this shocking?

I realize that, but I was only over a few minutes each section. I just found it strange, I thought I would be starting back off in the low 150 range.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am

"I'm sorry Ms. Proctor! I just need 'a few minutes' more for each section!"

And if you time yourself, you're missing out a few questions at the end of each section. And you are wondering why you are scoring higher?

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:49 am

lol, alright I REALIZE I did them untimed. I REALIZE I cant ask for an extra 4 minutes per section. I was simply asking if anyone else has had similar experiences of taking time off, like a long time off, then coming back and feeling much stronger? Is this a sign that our study time should involve more breaks and time off? Im no psychologist and am not really sure how ones brain best abosrbs information, but perhaps I was doing it all wrong by studying 4 hours a day for 3 months, with only a couple days breaks towards the end. Thoughts?

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 am

First LSAT = 166

First PT month after LSAT = 167 and was the lowest I ever got from that point forward.

You figure shit out without even studying, things make more sense sometimes after a break. I went snowboarding and it took me an hour to get down this hill. i took a break, ate some food, next time out, it clicked and i was Shaun white. Also, do a timed test, im sure you wouldnt have broken your highest PT if it was timed.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 am

A) Same thing happened to me when I retook. When in life have you ever just entirely lost a certain skill set that you previously developed? Of course you're going to retain a lot of what you had already built up.

B) But also, you're drastically underestimating how much of a difference even a couple of minutes make. I've posted this before: if you're well prepared for the LSAT, 3 extra minutes is the difference between a 165 and a 175. Half the questions on most sections can be done in under a minute anyways so when you give yourself extra time you're allowing yourself to examine the difficult questions with a scrutiny that you would never be allowed. The hard questions are not hard because they are difficult to figure out. They are hard because they are difficult to figure out in one minute and fifteen seconds. Give me one minute and thirty seconds and most of those questions become pretty easy.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 pm

I think people are drastically overestimating the difference between 35 minutes and, say, 38 minutes. Yes, granted, once you understand everything completely, it's a time battle, but understanding everything completely is non-trivial in the first place, and those last few minutes are not nearly as much of a big deal as the first few (jump from, say, 50 minutes to 40 or the like).

So doing better after some time off is a good sign. You're still in a nether area where accuracy is still in an issue if you're scoring a 164 (you're still getting a lot wrong), so work on that for a bit, and then start going into strictly timed sections instead of loosely timed ones.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”