Any ideas to increase speed?

bmwrenen

Any ideas to increase speed?

Postby bmwrenen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 pm

So I'm trying to decide whether I will be ready to take the LSAT this June, depending on how well I improve in the next month or so. So far I've taken one practice test, and scored pretty low, 145. My ultimate goal is to get 170 (may seem unreasonable in the time period, so October might be a better time to take the exam). Given this, one of the main reasons my score is coming out so low is that, I randomly guess around 5 questions per section, because I don't have enough time. If I was able to complete the test in the time, I would probably be around 150-155.

So I was wondering some what strategies help increase speed on the exam? I try to check my watch every so often, but it just takes me extra time with some questions, or maybe even all questions in general. Right now I'm working through The Official LSAT Super Prep, seems like a decent book, and I'm going to get the LG Bible, and possibly the novo lsat book(any comments), along with the 10 LSAT Prep tests book. I think with some review of these materials speed will improve, wanted to see what other strategies you guys used to increase speed.

LegalGENius

Re: Any ideas to increase speed?

Postby LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 am

bmwrenen wrote:So I'm trying to decide whether I will be ready to take the LSAT this June, depending on how well I improve in the next month or so. So far I've taken one practice test, and scored pretty low, 145. My ultimate goal is to get 170 (may seem unreasonable in the time period, so October might be a better time to take the exam). Given this, one of the main reasons my score is coming out so low is that, I randomly guess around 5 questions per section, because I don't have enough time. If I was able to complete the test in the time, I would probably be around 150-155.

So I was wondering some what strategies help increase speed on the exam? I try to check my watch every so often, but it just takes me extra time with some questions, or maybe even all questions in general. Right now I'm working through The Official LSAT Super Prep, seems like a decent book, and I'm going to get the LG Bible, and possibly the novo lsat book(any comments), along with the 10 LSAT Prep tests book. I think with some review of these materials speed will improve, wanted to see what other strategies you guys used to increase speed.

When working on sections try setting a 10 and 5 mins left mark on a watch that beeps LOUDLY :). It creates a bit of anxiety that should get you moving! Also, you need to find your strengths/weaknesses as far as question types are concerned (Testmasters is GREAT for this!) and begin to hone in what you need to FOCUS on improving. Once you figure out what you are good at you will be much more comfortable circling an answer within 30 seconds and not second-guessing yourself.

One other thing I did was I set limits for myself, for example, each LR section I would check my watch at the 10 minute mark and I was usually on number 15+. If I was far off the mark (say #9 or so), I picked up the pace a bit. You also need to take into consideration that typically the questions get harder as the section progresses so don't waste a lot of time up front -- you will surely need it at the close of the section.

Pacing yourself is absolutely ESSENTIAL on this test. You are smart to be concerned with time so early in the game!!

dynomite

Re: Any ideas to increase speed?

Postby dynomite » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 am

bmwrenen wrote:My ultimate goal is to get 170 (may seem unreasonable in the time period, so October might be a better time to take the exam).

1) Depending on your schedule, it will be almost impossible for you to hit 170 (or perhaps even 160) by June.

2) To raise your score 25 points, you are going to need to put in hundreds of hours of studying -- not taking practice tests, but studying. For that large a score jump I'd suggest a course like Blueprint, if you can afford it. If not, get the Powerscore Bibles and basically memorize them.

3) You're attacking the LSAT backwards.

You're saying: If I go faster, I'll do better on the test.

The reality: If you do better on the test, you'll go faster.

What you're missing is that you're going slowly because you don't understand the test/questions well enough. That's where you have to start.

To get a 170 you'll need to attack this test, rip apart the questions and figure out exactly why you're missing every question, struggling with every question type, missing crucial words. Once you UNDERSTAND the test and the questions, speed simply won't be an issue.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”